BSS Seismitoad

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seismitoad @ Light Ball
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 196 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fling
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Power Whip

Seismitoad is already unpredictable, being a potent Swift Swim Dynamax user both physically and specially, but this set differentiates itself as a Kyogre switch-in with Stealth Rock. Light Ball may seem like a deranged attempt to worship Pikachu, but it actually paralyzes foes when using Fling, making Seismitoad an incredible paralysis lure! Toxic is rare and incredible tool to break down defensive Pokemon, since Nintendo metagames ban transfer moves. Toxic's chip damage can make Chansey and Blissey vulnerable to powerful attacks such as Yveltal's Max Darkness, even with Natural Cure. Power Whip is great for supporting Zacian-C more directly, cracking common Water / Ground types such as Quagsire and Swampert. The EVs allow Seismitoad to survive Zacian-C's Play Rough, outspeed Jolly Cinderace after it's paralyzed, take on Kyogre defensively, and avoid an OHKO from Timid Life Orb Yveltal's Max Darkness 93.7% of the time. This set excels at getting unexpected paralysis, so Dynamax sweepers that snowball such as Yveltal, Calyrex-S, and Landorus-T are good teammates.

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm on a warpath when it comes to writing stuff tonight, so this is already ready for a QC check!

The initial writeup looks excellent so I only have a couple of minor things to implement. First, while you mention that Seismitoad already forces opponents to play a guessing game with Swift Swim vs Water Absorb, if you have room you should work in that only about half of SpDef Water Absorb sets run Fling (8.7% Light Ball usage this month vs a combined 18.6% for Careful + Calm), as many of them run Protect as the 4th slot and a healing item to better Toxic stall, so even if the opponent expects the defensive set they might be taken off guard by Fling.

(This is especially useful since most of the targets that could absorb a Fling are either EQ weak or are severely annoyed by Toxic, so even if the opponent is aware of this set, they're playing roulette trying to call it until you reveal it, especially since Lefties actually isn't even that common on defensive sets to tip opponents off that way if you don't have the recovery.)

I would also save some characters by removing the reference to Ditto; Ditto switching in on a Fling means you get the jump on them, not the other way around, and even just paralysis deblitates it effectively. I suppose it could be more annoying if you're already used up the Fling, but early in the game most teams are going to have a switch-in that can handle an unboosted Power Whip, so the main annoying thing would be hoping they don't predict a switch with a Toxic, and even letting Scarf Ditto lock into something like Power Whip could let something like Y snowball even if they grab a kill. That was probably too much detail, but tl;dr the Ditto mention feels unnecessary, especially since Power Whip really should be a secondary option for this set most of the time anyway since Fling is already taking up one of the otherwise negotiable moveslots and Toxic is a huge problem for most Water/Grounds anyway, although I think keeping the slash is fine since if you really need an immediate delete on Gastro or Quag then it can certainly help.

Also, I'm not sure you have room for this, but one thing to note about Toxic is that if you suspect a Chansey/Blissey/some other stall mode switches then it tends to be the best play, since Natural Cure allows them to shrug off the para and Toxic can give the requisite chip while trying to get Seis off the field for the special sweepers (especially Yveltal which usually has a physical option even on special sets) to finish them off.

All and all though this is an excellent summation of Fling Seismitoad. Good work! Once the above main points (and not necessarily my constant tangents lol) are addressed, then consider this QC 1/1.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Thanks for the check! I managed to sorta include the guessing game aspect by calling Seismitoad a paralysis lure, and I managed to fit in the Chansey / Blissey chip stuff while removing the Ditto mention. This is now ready for GP!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

Seismitoad @ Light Ball
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 196 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fling
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Power Whip

Seismitoad is already unpredictable, being a potent Swift Swim Dynamax user both physically and specially, but this Seismitoad set differentiates itself as a Kyogre switch-in with Stealth Rock. Light Ball may seem like a deranged attempt for our froggy pal to worship Pikachu, but it actually paralyzes foes when using Fling, making Seismitoad an incredible paralysis inflicting lure! Toxic is rare and incredible tool for Seismitoad to break down defensive Pokemon, since Nintendo metagames ban transfer moves. Even with Natural Cure, the chip caused by Toxic Toxic's chip damage can make Chansey and Blissey vulnerable to powerful attacks such as Yveltal's Max Darkness, even with Natural Cure. Power Whip is a great for supporting Zacian-C more directly, cracking common Water/Ground Water / Ground types such as Quagsire and Swampert. The EVs allow Seismitoad to survive Zacian-C's Play Rough, (AC) and outspeed Jolly Cinderace after it's (added apostrophe) paralyzed, while providing enough special bulk to take on Kyogre defensively, and avoid an OHKO from Timid Life Orb Yveltal's Max Darkness 93.7% of the time. This set is excels at getting unexpected paralysis, so Dynamax users that snowball into sweeps sweepers that snowball such as Yveltal, Calyrex-S, or Landorus-T are good options to consider. and Landorus-T are good teammates.

finland-GP.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)