send me some good vibrations (walrus)

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello all, welcome to my walrus. For those of you who don't know, a walrus is a game in which you aim to prove that you have the best taste in music, in this case "the best taste in music" will be determined by me. I have prepared 9 categories, entrants will submit according to the category and I will judge each and ever submission, assigning each a score out of 10. Some artists will be pandercapped at a 6, and songs that I have most definitely heard before will most likely score even lower, so try to stay a little unique and show me your style of music!

Signup by posting "in" or anything really, signups will be open until ummmmmm the 14th

The categories

Johnny play that fiddle hard
  • I'm a sucker for a good violin to be honest. Send me something that features a nice violin solo. This means I'm looking for a song that is primarily violin, but not necessarily! Points will be awarded based on how "prominent" the violin feature is, so if theres only a quiet violin player in the chorus or something then you may not be awarded full points!
Bob Dylan - Hurricane
Kansas - Dust in the Wind

What's your wonderland
  • Psychedelic Rock is by and far my favorite genre that I listen to. The experience of listening to the song and seemingly being transported to a different world through the instruments and storytelling of songs is my absolute favorite. Send me something that you can fully "immerse" yourselves in. This category is broad intentionally to allow a multitude of genres to be submitted, really anything that might transport you to another world, either through amazing lyricism or through the solos of the instrument.
Tame Impala - The Bold Arrow of Time
The Beatles - Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Do it for the culture
  • Rap / hip hop is probably the genre I know least about comparatively to things like pop and rock. Send me a hip hop track that features some absolutely killer beats that really liven up the atmosphere, lyrics should be secondary to a good, relatively unique beat.
A$AP Ferg - Mattress
A$AP Twelvyy ft Flatbush Zombies - A Glorious Death

Modern age Whitney Houston
  • Send me something that features a female vocalist in all her glory! I much prefer rock oriented leads over pop but you are free to submit anything!
Janis Joplin - Maybe
Blues Pills - River

Help me practice
  • I like to play guitar in my spare time, specifically I try to work on fingerstyle / classic styles. Sometimes I need inspiration to learn a new song or a new pattern or new licks. I want you to send me something that primarily features a fingerpicking style rather than classic chord strumming or guitar soloing.
Tommy Emmanuel - Zorro's Last Ride
Fleetwood Mac - Never Going Back Again

It's a LIVE
  • I especially like live performances of music. Send me something that is a live concert that you think I will like! Bonus points for any crazy things happening on stage or in the crowd that can make it stand out from other live performances.
B.B. King - How Blue can you Get
Portugal. The man - Dayman

A new challenger approaches
  • Send me something that either features or is made by an artist that is RECENT, meaning within the last year or so. Their first song / album has to have been officially released no earlier than 2/2/2017! I'm trying to see who the big names are gonna be and its almost guaranteed for me to see new artists and songs since I rarely keep up with baby-new artists.
Greta van Fleet - Thunderstomp (Despite the song being circa 2014, they didn't release their full length ep until april 2017. This is how you can get around the rules!)

Let's get....Experimental
  • Send me something that's designed to break me out of my comfort zone. Be it a genre I specifically may not care for or a song that uses some funky instruments ala prog style or maybe even go frank zappa style and just break the "rules" of music. This submission should be stand out and unique, worst case I should say "well that was...something" and best case I should say "damn he used a hurdy gurdy in conjunction with a clarinet?thats cool" or something. Bonus points for doing stuff that's unique and not formulaic, just because I hate country and you submit rock me mama like a wagon wheel doesn't really count as "experimental."
Examples: uhhh who knows if I gave examples that would defeat the point of the cat

Finale
  • Free for all. Lend me your favorite song that you think I will like, your guilty pleasure, your ace in the hole that you think "damn he's really going to like this." I will accept anything and everything in this cat

The Judge's tastes

I am a 21 year old college student who loves music. Despite me loving music, there are several songs genres and artists that you may not particularly want to send to me. I am huge into 60s-70s rock, so my primary listening artists are obviously the mainstays of that era, zeppelin, the beatles, the doors, jimi hendrix, pink floyd, grateful dead, crosby stills nash and young, bob dylan, eric clapton, and more. I am also a little big into hiphop, at least the east coast movement. My favorite rap collectives / artists are Tyler the Creator, Flatbush Zombies, MF DOOM, Chance the Rapper, A$AP Mob, Pro-Era, Kanye West. Dont think youre slick if you submit something by the mob or doom thats under an alias or a single member of the collectives either as those will also be pandercapped.

Genres that I particularly dislike include radio pop / country, "emo" music, a lot of heavy metal / metal that's technical just because it wants to tryhard as much as possible, mumble rap, and most things with autotune. I also particularly dislike EDM. You are welcome to submit anything from these genres just know they probably aren't going to get that high of scores. Not that big a fan of classical pieces though I am open to listening to and dissecting them. I typically like when songs have lyrics in them that are meaningful and poetic and the only time I really listen to instrumentals is if its like, an emotive guitar solo or something.

Please do not send me anime music. This will score a 0. Likewise most video game music / chiptunes will score incredibly low, I do not find music in games to be that amazing except in very rare, limited cases (hollow knight, zelda, and dark souls are about the only games that I actually like the ambient music in).

Signups:
apricity
knightsofcydonia
eren
walrein
aladyyn
robert alfons
shrug
steven snype
lectrys
mynameisnothing
asek

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)