ORAS OU Serpents & Dragons: A Unique Approach and Guide to Standard Semistall (Peaked #1 w/ 90 GXE)

created by me :] - original full size image: http://i.imgur.com/H2MrJNx.jpg

Hello everyone, today I will be presenting to you by far one of my most successful teams, a semistall team that includes some standard elements but also features a few interesting choices that have significantly contributed to the success of this team. I have been a primarily offensive player for a very long time, as can be seen by my teambuilding workshop, The Age of Offense. However, after playing with this team for a long time, I feel like I have discovered another side of me that also loves the options offered by defensive teams, most often balance or semistall so I can keep momentum if needed and pressure the opponent outside of passive hazards and status conditions. I'm writing this for the second time since the original RMT was lost thanks due to a horrible mistake on my part, so hopefully I can write this better the second time. Also, Shoutout to FullLifeGames for updating his awesome Sprite Converter so I could mass produce images for this RMT. :]

To begin with, I have developed a compendium of semistall Pokemon that are used in the current metagame. Some of the most common options (on semistall) include:

Some less common but solid options are:

Finally, there are some niche mons that aren't usually seen much or at all on semistall such as:

All of these mons can function well in a team that it supports and supports it properly (its all about synergy!). I have outlined the roles of all of these mons below (organized alphabetically), and then sectioned them into 4 groups/roles so that you can more easily find certain mons and build a team yourself. I highly recommend checking out this list, especially if you're trying to build a semistall team or just want to have a better understanding of the playstyle to beat it or play with it better.
Alphabetical List & Description
Aerodactyl-Mega:
Best on sand builds w/ hippo, Aero is an interesting option with its high speed and offensive pressure. Taunt + Roost allows it to maintain its health while stallbreaking, and it also has access to Defog or Stealth Rocks if needed, although using either limits its options. It also works decently well as a pursuit trapper.
Aggron-Mega:
Insane bulk w/ filter makes this a great mon despite being uncommon. It can Rocks, T-Wave, or Dragon Tail while hitting hard with Heavy Slam.
Alomomola:
A very passive wish-passer w/ Regen, Alomomola is all about support. Even with Toxic / Scald, its very prone to being set up on by Substitute users or Steel types and is very passive so you have to play carefully with it.
Altaria-Mega:
A great mon all around with amazing defensive typing, support in heal bell, and the ability to sweep with Dragon Dance and maybe Cotton Guard.
Amoonguss:
Good support with Spore + Stun Spore as well as Regenerator and Synthesis to maintain health. Clear Smog is also very useful while Gastro Acid has some niche uses.
Ampharos-Mega:
A bulky and strong pivot, especially with Resttalk. Can be either physically or specially defensive, and also has access to heal bell if needed.
Aromatisse:
An interesting choice over other Faries because of Aroma Veil, which allows it to Wish and Aromatherapy even if the opponent tries to Taunt / Encore you.
Audino-Mega:
Functions as a pivot when its not mega, and fulfills every role of a cleric.
Breloom:
Either a bulk up set or a subseed set can function as decent support while also absorbing status and knock off once its toxic orb has been activated.
Bronzong:
One of the best answers to Gardevoir, Zong is a decent rocker as well as beating bulky grounds with levitate. You can even run Heat Proof if you need it.
Camerupt-Mega:
A hard hitting tank with unique typing and access to Stealth Rocks.
Celebi:
Celebi has many options to fulfill a variety of roles. Some moveset options include Stealth Rocks, Thunder Wave, Perish Song, U-Turn, Baton Pass, Substitute, Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Heal Block. Solid defenses, natural cure, and recover make it a good physical/special/mixed, while it also has a variety of offensive options in Giga Drain, Psychic, or Earth Power.
Chandelure:
Often outclassed by Gengar, Chandelure boasts flash fire / infiltrator and a slightly different defensive typing with better special attack and defenses. It functions best as a spinblocker and stallbreaker with Taunt, WoW, Hex, Substitute, and/or Pain Split.
Charizard-Mega-X:
SDef Zard can tank a variety of hits while spreading burns and can also phaze with dragon tail. DD variants can sweep the opponent, and can also run a bulky spread to set up with greater ease.
Chesnaught:
Chesnaught has good support in Spikes and Leech seed while checking pokemon such as Bisharp, while also having Synthesis to heal itself. Wood Hammer and Drain Punch are solid offensive options.
Clefable:
Clefable is either usually a Rocker, a CM setup sweeper, or is support with Wish and Heal Bell. Unaware stops set-up sweepers while Magic Guard protects it from status and hazards. It has many options in its movepool including Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Stored Power, Encore, Knock Off, Thunder Wave, or Healing Wish.
Cobalion:
A decent pivot and Stealth Rocker with some offensive presence with defensive utility.
Cofagrigus:
Cofagrigus can spin block, Wisp, and use T-Spikes to support its team.
Crobat:
Crobat has good utility with high speed and access to Taunt, Defog, Roost, and U-turn. Offensively it can Brave Bird or utilize Super Fang. You can also run no-item acrobatics to absorb Knock Off with greater ease.
Diancie-Mega:
Diancie has a strong offensive presence while also preventing hazards with Magic Bounce. It also can use utility options such as Heal Bell or attempt to sweep with Calm Mind.
Doublade:
Doublade is a bulky spin-blocker that can pursuit trap most psychics with ease. It can also use an SD set, potentially with Rest Talk for longevity.
Dragalge:
Dragalge has great special defense and strong offensive presence with Adaptability and good special attack. It also has access to T-Spikes, Dragon Tail, and Haze.
Dragonite:
Multiscale + Roost + decent defenses can make DNite a bulky monster that can parashuffle with Sub + Dtail + T-Wave. It can also run a Bulky DD set successfully.
Empoleon:
Empoleon has a unique defensive typing and Stealth Rocks + Defog, with good utility in Scald, Knock Off, and Toxic.
Excadrill:
Drill can be a strong offensive spinner and revenge killer on hippo teams, but this will make the team more balanced than semistallish. Drill can otherwise run a SDef set with mold breaker toxic to hit bulky grounds it lures in as well as Sableye-Mega.
Ferrothorn:
Ferro has good defensive typing and defenses with support options in Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Leech Seed, and Thunder Wave with offensive presence in Power Whip and Gyro Ball.
Forretress:
Forry has high physical bulk and some utility with Volt Switch as well as access to Counter. It also has access to Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes as well as Rapid Spin.
Garchomp:
Tank Chomp can function well on semistall if it has wish and heal bell support or runs Rest in its 4th moveslot. Chomp is a good physically bulky rocker with D-Tail, and punishes contact moves with Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet.
Gardevoir-Mega:
Gardy can be a bulky sweeper with Wish + CM or general support with WoW while also hitting really hard with Pixilate Hyper Voice.
Gengar:
Gar is a great stallbreaker with WoW + Taunt + Hex + Sub/Pain Split and also a decent spinblocker. If you team is more balanced than semistall, it can also run LO 3 Atks Taunt to success as well.
Gliscor:
Glisc can absorb status and try to sweep/stallbreak with access to Taunt and SD. It has good physical or special bulk especially with Roost + Poison Heal, or can try to toxic stall with protect + substitute. It has good offensive options in Earthquake, Knock Off, Facade, or Rock Slide.
Gothitelle:
Goth is mostly seen on stall builds but some semistall can warrant its use if you need to trap and remove specific pokemon, which goth can do with ease with Shadow Tag. The Trick CM Rest Psyshock set is effective but anyone you play will look down on you.
Gyarados-Mega:
Regular or Mega, Gyara has some good support options in Scald, Thunder Wave, or Dragon Tail, and RestTalk, while regular gyara has intimidate. Mega Gyara can use DD RestTalk to good success, mainly because Mold Breaker will allow it to break unaware stall fairly easily.
Heatran:
Tran is a good specially bulky rocker and great defensive typing with Flash Fire, while also breaking stall with Taunt + Toxic.
Hippowdon:
A fat, bulky ground thats good at getting up rocks and checking mostly physical threats as well as electric types with a mixed def spread. It can also get up sand to support Sand Rush Excadrill or Rock Types like MAero by giving them a SDef boost.
Infernape:
Ape is a solid answer to Bisharp / Weavile and can utilize WoW, Slack Off, and Taunt/Encore to break the opponents team slowly.
Jellicent:
Jelly is a solid spinblocker and water immunity with great bulk. WoW/Toxic + Taunt + Scald also allows it to be effective against stall as well.
Jirachi:
Rachi can fulfill a variety of roles due to its expansive movepool and base 100 stats across the board. Rachi can set up Rocks, Wishpass with u-turn or healing wish, or run a variety of sets such as paraflinch, cm, or subtoxic.
Kyurem:
SubRoost Kyurem w/ Pressure is great at slowly stalling out the opponent, especially when combined with T-Spikes support.
Latias-Mega:
CM Stored Power variants can break stall, while Defog Variants with Reflect Type/Reflect and BoltBeam or T-Wave can support the team.
Lickilicky:
Similarly to Aromatisse, Lickilicky cannot be taunted while it can wishpass and heal bell to support its team while boasting good bulk.
Manaphy:
Rain Dance Manaphy with either CM rest or TG 2 Atk can support the team and break stall very effectively.
Mandibuzz:
Mandi is the best full on counter to Hoopa as they never run T-Bolt, and it still has good defenses and provides Defog support as well as Taunt/Whirlwind and/or Knock Off/Foul Play.
Meloetta:
Meloetta can potentially run a CM Set and even has Skill Swap to attempt to beat Unaware, or it can also try some Heal Bell set. Meloetta also has great Special Attack and Defense you can utilize.
Mew:
Mew has the arguably best movepool in the game, and you can choose to run almost any kind of set you would like. The most common is the stallbreaker set with Taunt / Roost / WoW / Knock Off, but you can also run Stealth Rocks, Defog, Ice Beam, Low Kick, or any other move available to it. Its great as a SDef wall but it can also be mixed or physically defensive as well.
Nidoqueen:
Nidoqueen has good SDef and access to Stealth Rocks + T-Spikes and Roar, while also being able to hit decently hard with Sheer Force boosted Earth Power, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower.
Registeel:
Registeel is certainly a niche pokemon but its insane physical and special bulk can be put to good use. Registeel can utilize Stealth Rocks, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Iron Head, Seismic Toss, Curse, Rest, and/or Sleep Talk.
Reuniclus:
Reuniclus is amazing as a physically defensive CM Sweeper, but it can also utilize a variety of uncommon options such as Acid Armor, or run an AV Regenerator set.
Roserade:
Rose has access to Spikes + T-Spikes + Sleep Power, can recover with Rest + Natural Cure or Synthesis, and has good offensive options with Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and HP Fire/Ice, while also using its good SDef to tank special hits.
Sableye-Mega:
Sableye is very effective at preventing hazards with Magic Bounce while also spinblocking, and its good bulk helps it a lot as well. It can function as support with Fake Out (to ensure Mega) / Foul Play / Knock Off and WoW, or run a CM set to try to sweep.
Salamence:
Mence is an odd choice, but it has good bulk with intimidate and has Wish to support its team. It can also run a bulky DD Refresh Roost set to attempt to slowly set up and sweep the opponent.
Scizor-Mega:
Scizor can run a Bulky SD set or utilize Defog to support its team, while utilizing U-Turn to gain momentum or Knock Off to cripple the opponent while beating most fairies with solid steel typing + technician BP.
Seismitoad:
Toad is a hard answer to Electric types such as Manectric or Raikou as they don't carry HP Grass in OU while absorbing Water hits as well. It gets up Stealth Rocks and can support the team with Scald, Knock Off, Earth Power, and/or Toxic.
Serperior:
Serp is a good manaphy check while provided offensive presence with Contrary Leaf Storm. It can also maintain its health with Giga Drain / Synthesis and break stall with Taunt or get free turns with Substitute.
Shaymin:
Shaymin is a nice Bulky grass type that can run SubSeed, Healing Wish, or just a bulky attacker with Aromatherapy, Natural Cure Rest, or Synthesis. Its similar to Roserade but it has much better physical bulk and potentially check Manaphy with its base 100 Speed.
Shedinja:
Shedinja is an interesting option most often featured with Sableye-Mega and Dugtrio (see Branflakes325 's RMT) to block attackers with Magic Guard. It also easily spinblocks pokemon such as Starmie (assuming they lack HP Fire).
Skarmory:
Skarmory has good support options in Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Whirlwind, Taunt, Counter, Toxic, and Roost. Its unique defensive typing and stellar Physical Defense allow it to handle most physical attackers with ease.
Slowbro-Mega:
Firstly, regular slowbro has many uses as a physical tank with T-Wave, Scald, and Regenerator. With or without mega it can also successfully run a CM set that aims to sweep the opponent, generally lategame.
Slowking:
Slowking has access to Nasty Plot unlike Slowbro and has better Special Defense in exchange for worse Physical defense.
Snorlax:
Snorlax has good special defense and can aim to sweep the opponent with a Curse RestTalk set or just be fat support with Whirlwind + Body Slam and pseudo resist Fire and Ice attacks with Thick Fat. It can also potentially Pursuit trap the opponent.
Starmie:
Starmie has high speed and is a solid scald switch-in with Natural Cure, while it also provides Rapid Spin support. It can also Scald the opponent, maintain its longevity with recover, and utilize one of Reflect Type, Reflect, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Toxic, or Thunder Wave in its last slot. If you don't need its high speed, Starmie can also run a physically or specially defensive set to take hits better.
Steelix-Mega:
Steelix is somewhat outclassed by Aggron but has a Ground typing and better special bulk that can be useful at times along with insane physical defense. It can set up rocks, phaze with roar, and Heavy Slam / Earthquake to hit the opponent with its good attack stat.
Suicune:
Crocune is a potent physically defensive CM sweeper, and it can also run Roar > CM for phazing, or Roar > Sleep Talk to try to sweep stall better while beating other CM users.
Swampert-Mega:
Mega Pert hard counters most electric types and has some good bulk and attack. You can use it as a stealth rocker or a SDef Curse RestTalk sweeper .
Sylveon:
Sylveon is a great, specially defensive support with Wish and Heal Bell. You can also try a CM Wish/Baton Pass set to try to sweep. The main perk of Sylv over any other Fairy like Clefable or Florges is the pixilate boosted Hyper Voice.
Talonflame:
SDef talon can check a variety of attackers and revenge kill with gale wings Brave Bird or Acrobatics. To just break stall and spread burns, Taunt + WoW is the best in your last two moveslots (the second move would be roost after flying STAB). If your goal is to sweep, a Bulk Up set would work well, especially with Taunt. If you want to spread burns AND try to sweep, WoW + Bulk Up works as well but I prefer the other two sets to this one.
Tangrowth:
AV Tang is a good pivot with Regenerator and it has access to a variety of attacks including Giga Drain, Leaf Storm, Knock Off, Focus Blast, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Sludge Bomb, or HP Fire. You can also choose to run a leftovers set so you can use non attacking moves such as Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and/or Synthesis.
Tentacruel:
Tentacruel is a solid rapid spinner with T-Spikes support. It can also use a variety of attacks such as Scald, Acid Spray, Knock Off, Haze, and/or Mirror Coat.
Togekiss:
Togekiss is solid defensive pokemon that hard counters Garchomp and can provide Defog or Heal Bell support. It is also a solid Nasty Plot sweeper and can run mono attacking to break stall but still provide Heal Bell support.
Tornadus-Therian:
Torn is a fast and solid pivot to most special attackers with AV and has a variety of attacking options including Hurricane, Focus Blast, Heat Wave, Knock Off, U-Turn, Grass Knot, Icy Wind, or Iron Tail. Tornadus is mainly amazing as a pivot with its high speed, bulk with AV, and Regenerator.
Virizion:
Virizion is an uncommon choice for sure but its high SDef and typing makes it a solid answer to Manaphy, and it can attempt to break the opponent with a bulky SD or Sub CM set.
Volcarona:
Roost Bulky Volcarona is easily capable of sweeping the opponent with a slow setup while also checking some attackers, provided you can keep Stealth Rocks off the field.
Weezing:
Weezing is a unique choice for sure, but it is immune to Ground attacks with Levitate and has great physical bulk. Its also capable of setting up T-Spikes, burning the opponent with WoW, restoring its health with Pain Split, and can hit Fairies or Steels with Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog and Flamethrower respectively.
Zapdos:
Zapdos is a solid defogger that can affordd to defog on Bisharp, and check to birdspam with its defensive typing. It also has a variety of attacking options such as Thunderbolt, Discharge, Volt Switch, Heat Wave, or HP Ice. It can also run T-Wave, or attempt to pressure stall with a SubRoost Toxic set.
Zygarde:
Zygarde is a good phazer and stallbreaker with its SubCoil set that allows it to slowly sweep the opponent while phazing out opposing phazers and forcing out unaware mons (bar clefable) to rack up hazards.

Hazard Control
Stealth Rocks

Spikes

T-Spikes

Defog

Rapid Spin

Other (Magic Bounce, Spinblocking)

Stall Breaker / Bulky Sweeper
Special setup

Physical setup

Other (Taunt, Status, Trapping, Pressure Stall, etc.)

Cleric / Status Absorber
Wish

Heal Bell / Aromatherapy

Natural Cure

Magic Guard / Poison Heal

Pivot
My teambuilding process is directly below, and I highly recommend reading it to better understand my team.

The team starts off with SubSynth Serperior as the mon I wanted to build around.

I wanted heal bell support to ease sweeping for Serperior, especially considering that I expected it to often get burned by scald throughout the game. While I was considering varying Diancie sets for this, I decided on Altaria in the end since its more consistent user of the move and gives me another sweeping option lategame.

To round off the core's weakness to flying types such as Talonflame, to handle fairy types such as Clefable, and to take Ice attacks, I added Heatran. Its typing fits very well with Serperior and Altaria, and Tran has a good movepool to give me options against the aforementioned threats, also being the stealth rocks setter on the team.

I lacked a solid answer to any pokemon with EdgeQuake or other type combinations with ground coverage, meaning Pokemon such as Earth Power Diancie or Mamoswine can still break through the core fairly easily. Skarm provided me a sturdy ground immunity and secondary steel-type that could take on strong physical attackers such as low kick Weavile while Heatran could support Skarm from strong special attacks, especially fire moves.

Since I chose not to use Defog on Skarmory, I wanted to have some alternate form of hazard removal, preferably Rapid spin to keep my own hazards up while I removed my opponents. I decided on Tentacruel as it also offered me T-Spikes and could not get easily pursuit trapped, two qualities that the most common spinner, Starmie, lacks. Although I am weaker to the bulky grounds that are the most common rockers, Tentacruel still has its own merits that I preferred over Starmie.

I had every single form of hazards on my team bar Sticky Web, so it was natural that I would want a spinblocker. I scrolled through the list of ghost types and found Sableye to be perfect the perfect fit. The main qualities of prankster with Taunt, WoW, and Recover were priceless to the team, and the added Dark Type gave me an immunity and solid answer to major issues such as Alakazam. I could not only spinblock now but prevent defog through priority taunt, keeping my hazards on the field. Although Mega Sableye is certainly more bulky, something that would additionally help regular sableye, the Prankster is much too important for my team to be successful.
The proof of my ladder peak can be found below

Last edited:

Law Of The Jungle (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Synthesis

As stated earlier, Serperior was the focal point of my teambuilding, but my set is also catered towards my team as a whole. Leaf Storm is my strongest attack, STAB, and allows sweeps by giving me a +2 with contrary. Substitute eases prediction, gives me free turns, and works well in conjunction with Synthesis to maintaining my longevity. HP Ground is in the last slot because Heatran is generally more difficult to deal with than Scizor, and I can usually outspeed opposing Serperior since I have max speed investment and 31 Speed IVs. Speaking of IVs, 1 attack IV maintains HP Ground but minimizes damage from foul play and confusion (I do the same for all other special attackers on the team so I won't mention it again). 56 HP EVs give me a Leftovers number and add a little extra bulk to ease switching into Pokemon such as Clefable.

One of Serperior's major roles on this team is a check to Manaphy, alongside Tentacruel. It cannot OHKO Manaphy, so I need to get a little prior damage on it before revenging it. In general it is a scald switch-in if Altaria and Tentacruel are too pressured. It is the primary offensive presence on this team alongside Altaria and sees the most usage against offensive teams. It is also very good at breaking opposing balance once its teammates have set the field so it can clean up. Besides this, it is the permanent solution to Pokemon such as Clefable, Suicune, or Reuniclus that can be hazed and whirlwinded, but Serperior eventually cleans them up (In Clefable's case, Heatran can taunt it). It is important to manuever the endgame so that Serperior finishes the game and the opponent doesn't have a fighting chance with their last mon even with misses (unless you miss every single leaf storm). It is sometimes difficult to gain momentum against teams with a voltturn core, but Serperior can generally disrupt Rotom-W Lando-T voltturn by using Synthesis on a scarf uturn and breaking the voltturn. This serpent has a knack for pulling through lategame even when things are looking grim.
Manaphy
200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 282-332 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Manaphy Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 172-204 (56.3 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 234-276 (76.7 - 90.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Clefable
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 130-154 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
Gardevoir
232+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 259-306 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 109-129 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 216-255 (77.9 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Landorus-T
252 Atk Landorus-T U-turn vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 174-206 (57 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Starmie
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 224-265 (73.4 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Keldeo
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 144-171 (47.2 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
Heatran
+2 200 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 252-300 (65.4 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 228-270 (74.7 - 88.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Zard-X
+2 200 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 154-182 (42.8 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO (can't switchin to leaf storm + hp ground)
Hoopa-U
200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 112-133 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Thundurus-I
252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 134-158 (46 - 54.2%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hyper Potions (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine / Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpD / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance

Altaria is a key member of the team due to its numerous resistances combined with great bulk and its team support in Heal Bell, which eases my play against status for my team as a whole and also aids Altaria when sweeping if possible. Roost is crucial to maintain its health, and Pixilate boosted return is its STAB attacking move. Dragon Dance allows Altaria to increase its offensive presence and sweep late game. The given HP and Defense EVs allow Altaria to tank 2 Psyshocks from LO Latios after Stealth Rocks in Mega Form. The 12 SDef evs guarantee that with rocks off the field Altaria can take 2 sun-boosted Fire Blasts from Timid Zard-Y. Speaking of Zard, I use Cloud Nine on Altaria to ease switching into Zard since it takes away the sun boost, but Natural Cure is useable if you want to remove status without using Heal Bell from just Altaria (highly situational and not as important as Zard imo). The given speed EVs allow me to outspeed positive nature base 110's such as Lati@s and Gengar after a single Dragon Dance.

The most basic part of using Altaria is knowing when to Mega. If the opponent has some pokemon such as Zard Y or X that makes Mega Altaria very important, I generally lead with it and get off my mega immediately unless they lead with something I absolutely cannot stay in on. In theory, Altaria can sometimes sweep the opponents team if they're only Altaria answer relies on a steel type (such as non-SD Scizor, which you can theoretically set up on). You would have to eventually mega to get a kill, but this can force your opponent to lose a pokemon to force your mega which can be very helpful. I generally play Altaria passively early on and focus on getting damage on checks such as Excadrill or threats like Zard-Y early on rather than DD'ing immediately so that they don't switch out later and I fail to get damage on them from the start. Despite this, I sometimes use DD early on if it forces my opponent into their solid answer to Altaria if it will get me needed momentum. Since Altaria has only 8 heal bells it is also important to conserve them throughout the match unless you doubt you will need them often.
Latios
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 130-153 (37 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Zard-Y
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria in Sun: 148-175 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria in Sun: 122-144 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Altaria: 108-128 (30.7 - 36.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Lopunny
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 132-156 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Dragonite
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 140-165 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Heracross
252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 140-165 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Manectric
252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria: 128-152 (36.4 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Azumarill
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 272-324 (77.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Scizor
44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 146-174 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Hoopa-U
252 Atk Life Orb Hoopa-Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 304-359 (86.6 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Garchomp
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 103-123 (29.3 - 35%) -- 12.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 126-148 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Hippowdon
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 91-108 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- 9.7% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage
Gyarados
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 240 HP / 104+ Def Mega Altaria: 204-240 (58.1 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thundurus-I
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria: 159-187 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria: 159-187 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 12 SpD Mega Altaria: 242-286 (68.9 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Colossus (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power / Stone Edge
- Taunt

Heatran complements Serperior and Altaria very nicely with its defensive typing and movepool. Stealth Rocks are obligatory hazards, and Lava Plume is stab that burns much less than Scald despite the equal burn rate at 30%. Ancient Power is necessary to deal with SDef Talonflame and hits other fire types in general. I chose Ancient Power over Stone Edge for 3 reasons. 1. It allows me to beat Taunt Bulk Up Talonflame which would otherwise 6-0 me. 2. It is 100% accurate. 3. The boosts are very useful in a pinch. If you're not concerned of accuracy and Taunt Bulk Up Talonflame, Stone Edge is a fine option as it deals more damage to SDef Talon and Zard-Y, which can be very useful (mostly for Zard). Taunt rounds off the set by ensuring that Tran can beat most Clefable and Talonflame, while also just shutting down the opponents slower, defensive pokemon or allowing me to prevent or maintain hazards on a predicted switch. The spread is fairly standard, running enough speed for Pokemon such as max speed adamant azumarill and non invested base 80's. The rest is poured into HP and SDef to increase my bulk. Leftovers is crucial for recovery throughout the game, which you generally don't want to get knocked off unless necessary.

If you see a talonflame (or maybe Zard-Y) at matchup, it is crucial to play Heatran very very safely (especially for Talonflame). The only situation in which I would risk something like trading rocks on a garchomp is if my opponent has a Zard-Y that is overpowering my team. Otherwise, play heatran conservatively but try to get up rocks ASAP and keep them up. Against Talonflame, it is useful to make them feel safe staying in against Heatran. By going for anything BUT Ancient Power or Taunt, the opponent might feel safe staying in. Then, on the turn the opposing Taunt will wear off, you can slam the talonflame with an ancient power and force a roost. This can allow you to taunt and then get up your rocks, while spinblocking stuff like defensive starmie with sableye or just pressuring the opponents defogger (see replay #2). Against Zard-Y, heatran can tank a hit and smack it with an Ancient Power, but it won't kill and nothing else can revenge roost Zard reliably so you have to maneuver with Stealth Rocks expertly here as well (or get lucky boosts! :3, see replay #4). Once you get up rocks, try utilizing Serperior to force the opponent's rocks weak pokemon in, which can often allow you to go back to tran and force them out after a roost and get more lefties in the process while the opponent has to play reactive and take hazards.
Gardevoir
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 244-288 (63.3 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Torn-T
160 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 156-184 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Zard-Y
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 218-258 (56.6 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 256-304 (66.4 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 196-232 (65.9 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Keldeo
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 254-302 (65.9 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 278-330 (72.2 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Thundurus-I
+2 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 204-240 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Heatran: 234-278 (60.7 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Talonflame
0 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 200-236 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 316-372 (88 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Aphasia (Skarmory) @ Leftovers Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD / 20 Spe 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Skarmory is the most passive member of this team but is crucial in my defensive backbone. Spikes let me stack up more hazards on the opponent and roost maintains my health so Skarm can continue to handle strong physical attacks. Whirlwind gives my team a form of phazing, and Counter allows me to deal general damage to my opponents. The spread maximizes my physical bulk, but I run 212 HP so I can regain my sturdy after Stealth Rocks + 2 rounds of Leftovers recovery. The speed EVs are in an attempt to whirlwind other skarmory first and outspeed pokemon such as Azumarill that try to outspeed Skarmory, and the rest is put into SDef to slightly increase my bulk on that side. Keep in mind that it is not unlikely that Skarmory's leftovers will get knocked off, especially if the opponent has a Weavile or Bisharp.

In most matchups, you can play skarmory passively and get up hazards, roost, and whirlwind + counter and you'll be fine. In other matchups, you have to get lucky with whirlwind or make aggressive doubles (see replays 8 and 9). The specific matchup I have in mind is the hippo zard manaphy excadrill game, where Taunt on skarm would help immensely (It also sucks that Skarm barely hurts excadrill with counter on rapid spin). Unfortunately I see no room on this set although it would be helpful in some situations, so you just have to make doubles if necessary or get lucky with whirlwinds. Speaking of whirlwind, its the phazing on this team which is very useful if you want to force something out/in to temporarily stop a sweep or rack up hazards. Another thing to keep in mind is that you have both Whirlwind and Counter, which I believe is pretty uncommon, so most people don't expect you to have one if you've revealed the other. I generally try to whirlwind physical sweepers early if they have to potential to hax me on the counter (such as through a flinch) or if I need skarmory for other pokemon on their team as well. Otherwise, I can just whirlwind and generally get away with ~50% or more, and then utilize Altaria, Sableye, Serperior, and maybe Tentacruel to stop the sweep if they come in again. In the event that they cannot hax me (like sheer force gatr), and I don't need skarm, I generally just roost up to full and spam counter to eliminate the threat, but you may find getting up hazards and then whirlwinding to be better in some situations because you're thinking a few turns ahead and need something else more than killing the opponents mon immediately.

Edit: I put rocky helmet on skarm so that it could punish excadrill rapid spins and in general get some useful chip damage, whereas leftovers didn't make a huge difference. I modified the EV spread accordingly.
Weavile
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 110-133 (33.9 - 41%) -- 50.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 99-117 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Feraligatr
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 164-192 (50.6 - 59.2%) -- 82.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Lando-T
+2 220+ Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 145-171 (44.7 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Scizor
+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 181-214 (55.8 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Azumarill
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 135-160 (41.6 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Bisharp
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 227-269 (70 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Lopunny
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 126-148 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Metagross
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 136-160 (41.9 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hoopa-U
252 Atk Life Orb Hoopa-Unbound Fire Punch vs. 212 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 143-169 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Torn-T
160 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 212 HP / 24 SpD Skarmory: 141-167 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Swamp Thing (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel's primary role on this team is to provide hazard control with Rapid Spin, and to set up Toxic Spikes to wear down the opponent. Scald is STAB that supposedly burns 100%, and Haze is a great move to stop Non-Psychic Manaphy from getting a kill early on, allowing me to do my hazards job on a CM clef that thinks it can power through my team eventually, and in general preventing the opponent from setting anything other than a Substitute up on me. It also is my most solid answer to Belly Drum Azumarill. Although I have considered Mirror Coat in this slot to help handle special attackers somewhat better, I have never tested it and can only imagine it to be less consistent so I'm not slashing it. Black Sludge is crucial for recovery similarly to Heatran as I cannot heal any other way. The speed EVs allow me to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant base 70's such as Bisharp and Breloom, and the SDef EVs give me a good amount of special bulk, turning 0 SAtk Heatran's earth power into a 4hko and allow me to tank a +3 Psychic from Timid Manaphy after Rocks and Black Sludge. The remaining EVs increase my physical bulk so I can better handle some physical attackers such as Scizor, and Azumarill, allowing me to avoid some 2hkos. Liquid Ooze is the best ability to hurt Giga Drains and Leech Seed users like Venusaur and Ferrothorn.

When you're playing the hazard war, it is important to play Tenta somewhat conservatively so you can spin consistently. If you can get up tspikes before Mega Sableye can block them and then force it in then it will get worn down easily; otherwise you can just scald it on the switch (and get a "lucky" burn). For the other most common spinblocker, gengar, I generally try to scald it on the switch. This way, especially if I get a burn, can minimize the chance of only taking one shadow ball. Otherwise, Tenta can still thank 2 and try to spin later. Against steels such as Skarmory and Ferro, getting them burned helps me spin and set up my own tspikes with ease (if the opponent has power whip ferro, you generally should not rely on scald to burn it unless you're feeling "lucky" as a failed burn could screw you over badly). Haze is the catch all option that will allow you to try to wear down manaphy for serperior to revenge and avoid becoming set up fodder while stopping most bulky sweeps for that time. Unless the set-up is an immediate threat, I generally take the time to spin and set up tspikes before revealing haze (like on a t-wave CM Clef). However, mirror coat has its potential uses over haze. For one, it helps beat TG RD Manaphy, specifically Psychic sets. However, outside of this and for random situations such as against Gengar, mirror coat likely has less overall usage and consistency overall.
Manaphy
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Tentacruel: 282-334 (78.1 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Gengar
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Tentacruel: 118-140 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 5.4% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 91-108 (35.1 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Heatran
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Tentacruel: 112-134 (31 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 104-126 (27 - 32.7%) -- 54.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Rotom-W
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Tentacruel: 110-132 (30.4 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Scizor
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 240 HP / 100 Def Tentacruel: 172-203 (47.6 - 56.2%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Azumarill
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 100 Def Tentacruel: 165-195 (45.7 - 54%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Dugtrio
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 100 Def Tentacruel: 290-344 (80.3 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
Weavile
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 240 HP / 100 Def Tentacruel: 242-285 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Rain Dish recovery, and Black Sludge recovery

Divided (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off

Sableye is the linchpin to this team with its prankster attacks and ghost/dark typing to spinblock and take Psychic atacks. Prankster WoW is great for burning stuff, and Taunt allows me to shut down opposing set-up, hazards, defog, recovery, etc. Prankster recover is great for stalling the opponent, and Knock Off is surprisingly strong STAB with good utility by removing the opponents item. I didn't really need Sableye to be able to take physical attacks very well, but I did desperately need good special defense to tank hits from alakazam, starmie, gengar, etc. so I went essentially max max with a fairly simple EV spread. Although Sableye is generally able to take physical attacks if the opponent is burned, risking a miss is often unnecessary and regular Sableye's poor bulk can still be easily seen at times (for example, Sableye cannot switch into Gengar or LO Starmie directly).

It is not uncommon for sableye to find itself in a position to 1v1 the opposing team (especially offense) by spreading burns, taunting, and abusing prankster recover. However, if sableye is crucially important for something, never ever risk a WoW miss that could lose you the game. You must especially play carefully with T-spikes, because they are a double edged sword with sableye. Although the support helps sableye a lot and it can keep them up fairly consistently, it can also hurt you if you need to burn something other than a steel type or levitator, such as a Garchomp. Against Fairies that almost make sableye useless such as Clef or especially Diancie, use Sableye as a check to the opponent and to gain momentum by forcing those fairies in. I generally knock off the clef and then use it to get hazards, spin, etc., and I try to poison the Diancie with TSpikes so it gets continuously worn down every time it comes in. Another thing to note is that you need to play smartly with Recover. Although you can stall out the opponent with status + recover + taunt (and knock off for lefties etc.) it is sometimes not worth risking crits / random side effects. If you stall like this too often, Sableye won't be able to come out of the situation with 100% health (often around 60%) and then you lack the bulk to handle bigger threats later on. One very common situation you must learn to play is Sableye vs Defensive Starmie. If hazards are very very important, I always make sure to spinblock it unless I will lose sableye if I mispredict and then they will get to spin afterwards regardless. It helps a lot to get up 2 TSpikes and then force the Starmie in as it makes Spinblocking much easier. If this is not possible, however, I generally Knock it off and then utilize Taunt + WoW + Recover to stall it out depending on if they scald burn (I have played games where Sableye takes 10 scalds/discharges in a row and doesn't get burned/paralyzed). Taunt is key here to force the Starmie low, which works especially well with status. If Starmie switches and comes back in later on Heatran I just taunt it on the switch. l can whirlwind it with Skarm to prevent a recover, or just double with Tentacruel.
Alakazam
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 103-122 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- 33.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sableye Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Alakazam: 156-186 (62.1 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 110-130 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- 96.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sableye Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 306-362 (121.9 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Gengar
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 161-191 (52.9 - 62.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Manectric
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 144-169 (47.3 - 55.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Starmie
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 185-218 (60.8 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sableye Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 188-224 (71.7 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 82-97 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 34.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hoopa-U
252 Atk Life Orb burned Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 8 Def Sableye: 156-183 (51.3 - 60.1%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thank you for reading my RMT. I really hope everyone can take something from this, whether it be the team, or an interesting set or idea. I especially hope that my section on semistall will help guide you if you are struggling building a team of this archetype.

You can find the importable to my team right below. Please keep the nicknames when you use this team. I have also attached a playlist to the songs that these pokemon are named after here in case you are curious, but i am by no means requiring you to listen to these songs, nor do these songs fully represent my taste in music as I picked them so that they would fit the pokemon, not necessarily because I like them (so no bashing, that's not what we're here for!). I limited myself to only Monstercat 023 Songs, but wait! At the last moment I cheated and named altaria after an Artist instead because I liked the name better (oh no!) :]
Divided (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off

Colossus (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Taunt

Swamp Thing (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Rapid Spin

Law Of The Jungle (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Synthesis

Aphasia (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Hyper Potions (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpD / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance
You can find some replays with my team alongside some notes here
1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250966653 - Serperior goes solo mode
2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250970618 - This shows both how to play Heatran, and how not to. Turn 5 was a premature Ancient Power. I should have lava plumed turns 5 and 6 to make Talon feel comfortable, and then smash him with an ancient power the turn my taunt wears off. This technically forces a 50/50, but he is likely to roost: from here you can taunt and then set up stealth rocks as they are forced out.
3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250983784 - Sableye doesn't let anyone else join the fun
4: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250989576 - Things are looking grim when a nifty ancient power boost allows me to remove zard from the picture. This is one of the few mons I have a great difficulty in dealing with, especially when paired with a solid steel type or is a modest fire blast zard. Stone Edge would have come in handy here.
5: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250992848 - I manage to beat a horrendous matchup despite some bad luck and possible misplays on the opponents part.
6: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250998202 - Haze tenta shows its general usage and sableye tran mindgames come into play. In the end serperior is able to clean up despite misses etc.
7: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-251394402 - Get bullshitted numerous times but Serperior goes god mode at the end.
8: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-252633545 - The first match against costa, the combination of Psychic manaphy to break tenta, double steel for altaria, zard hippo for generally winning the hazard war and taking my team on 1v1, and tornadus for serp proves to be difficult for my team to break. I wish i had saved our second game as it proved to be much better since my play was greatly improved. The idea is to somehow force in a pokemon that heatran can get hazards up on, then forcing out the manaphy and utilizing sableye + tspikes to finish off the game. I had to play perfectly with sableye against excadrill to win, and potentially rely on a hurricane miss, but the matchup is possible. Skarmory is often a liability in this matchup as it is too passive but the only ground immunity, so taunt on it would be very useful in this matchup, while mirror coat on tentacruel would enable me to handle psychic manaphy much better.
9: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-250234527 - Another Zard Hippo matchup, I utilize his lack of a very solid altaria answer to force momentum my way and later clean up with Altaria or Serperior. He reveals unaware clef so my gameplan is to set up hazards, force the clef out, and then win with Serperior. Realizing this, he forfeited.
Other than these replays, I also have a threatlist and playstyle matchup guide (just a few general matchups) to help you use this team
Hyper Offense:
It honestly just depends on which offensive threats they have and just play accordingly, but it usually isn't a bad matchup unless they have certain individual threats that perform well against this team. Serperior is usually a key member against this playstyle, as is Altaria (especially since Tank Chomp essentially gives it free set up while Skarm can get hazards). Sableye is also often a very strong member since many HO's don't have a lot of mons to take prankster WoWs.

Sand Balance: One of the more difficult matchups because Hippowdon beats Tentacruel and Tran which are generally very important members to beat the other pokemon on their team. You need to be aggressive but smart with the hazard war and play sableye very well, while not letting the passive play of skarm and/or Altaria give your opponent an advantage. Serp is often good in these games unless they have a Tornadus-T as well, in which case its shut down easily unless you can cripple it with a burn.

Full Stall:
Mostly just annoying and not too hard to take down. Taunt tran can put in a lot of work, as can Sableye if their own is defeated. If you beat chansey Serp can clean up, and Altaria provides good support to the team. T-Spikes help a lot in wearing down the opponents team and u need to be removing hazards, while skarm can shuffle around the opponent if needed. The biggest threat is usually goth as it can remove Tran or Tenta, i just try to taunt it with tran on the initial switch and play conservatively with tenta.
Top-Level Threats

Charizard-Mega-Y: If the opponent plays aggressively with this and predicts correctly it can eventually break Altaria + Tran so you have to be careful around this. Try to get up rocks and keep them up while keeping Altaria as healthy as possible. If needed, do not mega evolve Altaria so you can better handle zard + steel type, since it can still tank 2 fire blasts even after rocks.
Diancie-Mega: This mon completely shuts down Sableye and I have no solid switch-in to it until I know its full set. I lead Tenta and get up TSpikes (scald at first though) so I can slowly wear down Diancie. At this point I usually shuffle among Tran and Skarm to slowly wear it down and I can revenge it with Serperior at some point.
Gardevoir-Mega: This is a huge threat because it basically smacks my whole team. Its very hard to not autolose to this without focus blast misses, scaring it out with Serperior (you can tank one hyper voice from full most of the time), or setting up tspikes and keeping them there to wear down gardy / sacking sableye to burn it.
Hoopa-U: If this is the physically biased mixed set w/ Focus Blast it essentially wrecks my whole team since Skarm can't wall it. In this situation Altaria usually has to take a hit for the team (assuming Gunk Shot), or I will get up TSpikes and try to eventually revenge it with Serperior. Alternatively, Sableye can generally handle a burned Hoopa.
Kyurem-Black: This thing dismantles my team so I just lead Sableye and try to burn it immediately. Since they usually won't let this happen, I have to maneuver the game so that I get up TSpikes and then force the Kyurem to get poisoned and just try to stall it out.
Tornadus-T: I lack a solid switchin to LO torn and although AV torn is easier to handle, it is also harder to wear down which limits Serperior severely. Sableye or Heatran, are usually the best mons to take this on.
Manaphy: If it has Psychic it is a huge threat, and specifically Psychic Ice Beam Scald is the hardest to face since it can not only hit Tentacruel, but also OHKO Serperior and Altaria. TG / CM RD is harder to wear down with Tentacruel, but its limited attacking options allow it to still be beatable. Unless Psychic Mana is really obvious I just go Tentacruel, haze, and try to wear it down to the range where Serperior can OHKO it or come in while its +0.

Mid-Level Threats

Bisharp: A +2 Bisharp can get kinda scary if I miss WoW / it has a lum berry, its Jolly so I can't haze it / scald it before it hits tenta, and it manages to beat skarm if you don't whirlwind it out soon enough and it flinches your sturdy counter or something. Its not a huge threat, just don't be dumb around it. Serp can also play mind games with Substitute and Synthesis if needed.
Charizard-Mega-X:
Whether Wisp or DD, if it has Earthquake its pretty annoying to the team as only Altaria can answer it and I usually have to burn Heal Bells and DD early to force it out. T-Spikes / Stealth Rocks and taunting it with Sableye helps a lot in wearing this down.
Conkeldurr:
Mega Altaria early on to have a solid switchin, but also be wary of Sheer Force LO variants that can blow through Altaria and also Skarmory.
Dragalge:
I theoretically lack a solid answer and it removes my T-Spikes for free while setting up its own. Hazards stacking + Sableye is enough to wear it down generally.
Dugtrio:
Traps Heatran and is usually paired with something that loves it being gone. I generally try to go Tenta since it covers some of the same stuff as Tran when they force it in incase they make a double (in which case, if they are not banded, they cannot KO tenta).
Excadrill:
Annoying to face since its usually paired with Sand so it can revenge Altaria and Serp, while also spinning somewhat easily against my team. If its air balloon its especially annoying to face. Considering that Skarmory hard walls it, I sometimes try to get free hits on it (like Return from Altaria, but not lava plume on tran) to wear it down on predicted Rapid Spins, or aggressively bring in Sableye if i need those hazards up.
Gengar:
Tentacruel is the most solid switch-in but Sableye can also take gengar on if its healthy enough as most people don't expect max SDef. Otherwise, it could be annoying to play around.
Heatran:
Tentacruel can usually take it on but sometimes this is not the case if they get an extra epower / burn. If you don't mega Altaria you can easily take on Tran without taunt, and if they lack Flash Cannon you can mega as well. Our own Heatran is also a solid answer if they lack Earth Power. If you can get a little extra damage, force it out, and then lure it in with Serperior, a +2 hp ground will put it out of commission.
Heracross-Mega:
This thing can stop Serperior from putting in work, and if they don't mega to keep guts on Sableye burn you can be in trouble as well. Altaria is the most solid answer to this monster although it can be very scary at +2.
Hippowdon:
More annoying to face than hard to beat since it beats our rocker + spinner + tspiker. See playstyle matchups for greater detail.
Landorus-T:
Like hippo, its just annoying to face also a bulky ground. If its SD, especially SD Smack Down, it can be very very troublesome to face so you have to play smart with Skarm / Sableye / Serperior. Try not to lose too much momentum to scarf variants, and defensive variants are generally beaten by Altaria if that's your best option.
Lucario:
Although uncommon, Nasty Plot lucario potentially blows through this team. Tentacruel is the best answer to this variant although it can still do a lot of damage. SD Lucario is also very potent against this team, but can be stopped by Prankster WoW unless you let them get to +4 for free. Sturdy Skarm is an emergency answer.
Magnezone:
Traps Skarm and is generally paired with something like Altaria + Weavile which is capable of blowing through my team. TSpikes will allow you to wear both of them down faster so they do less damage, but you can also try to use Sableye to burn both of them and go from there. Alternatively, try to sweep them (with Altaria usually) before they can sweep you. If you've set up the situation so, you can get a free DD on the Mag after it kills skarm.
Manectric Mega:
It can be stalled by Sableye and Altaria, and Heatran can also take hits well, but its mainly troublesome because I lack a ground type so it can volt switch freely and gain momentum.
Pidgeot Mega:
Ancient Power + Lava Plume + Taunt from Tran should be able to handle Stallbreaker variants, but HP Ground Pidgeot will be able to put a huge dent on the team if you're caught unaware. This set is, however, walled by Sableye bar confusions.
Raikou:
Same as Manectric, gets momentum. SubCM Raikou is much more troublesome though, you can't afford to play lax around it.
Rotom-W:
Again, get momentum and often comes in on Tentacruel. In multiple games I choose to tank a Volt Switch to spin / tspike and get momentum if it is absolutely necesssary. Burning this ASAP helps wear it down quickly, and also getting Serp in on a WoW or Hydro is nice as well.
Scizor Mega:
It walls Serperior and Altaria but the rest of my team can beat it (never risk tran getting superpowered until you're sure they don't have it). Defog U-Turn variants are probably the most annoying.
Starmie:
While defensive Starmie gets its day shitted on by Sableye, offensive Starmie has the power to rip through this team. Serperior can usually tank a hit after rocks as can Sableye, but you have to play very carefully around this monster, especially when it gets analytic boosts on the MANY switches it will force. Wearing it down with T-Spikes and LO helps reduce the damage it can dish out to my team.
Sylveon:
Specs Sylveon is hard to switch into as it can psyshock tenta and HP Ground will blow back tran, while Skarm can't tank a Hyper Voice regardless. Once you know what move its locked into, however, it is easy to play around. Support variants can just be taunted and shut down by Heatran or Sableye on the switch.
Talonflame:
I've stressed this many times, but just save Tran and you will be able to beat everything BUT natural gift variants. If you suspect this by looking at their team or how they SD'd on your switch, it would probably be worth scouting for it by switching to Skarm.
Thundurus-I:
Lefties Nasty Plot is very potent against my team since I cannot wear it down with LO and it can T-wave serperior that can outspeed it. Heatran can tank a focus blast from +0 LO or +2 tbolt and hit it with a lava plume while sableye can burn it. Altaria can also tank a +2 lefties hp ice after Rocks, but will drop to a LO variant. Although LO is worn down quicker, it is also hits harder and I have no comfortable to switch-in to +2 tbolt thanks to the lack of a ground type. Serperior can also tank 2 hp ice's from lefties but you're likely to get paralyzed in the process.
Togekiss:
Togekiss has access to every form of coverage that would hit my team super effectively bar tentacruel, but Tenta can't really do much to it besides Haze and it can get flinched anyway. However, unless togekiss is 4 atks instead of NP in which case its not as troublesome, you can just beat it based on the moveset (assuming they don't manage to flinch everything to death with just air slash).
Tyrantrum:
Banded Head Smash 2HKOs or OHKOs my entire team, but this is fairly uncommon so you generally don't have to worry too much. You should be wary about switching Skarm in recklessly, however, and burning / toxic'ing it will help wear it down so Serperior can revenge it.
Venusaur-Mega:
It absorbs any T-Spikes and walls Serperior + Altaria. Utilize it to get up rocks with Tran, spikes with skarm on non-hp fire variants, and to spin / get up tspikes again with Tenta, making good use of liquid ooze to force it to Synthesis often. Taunt + WoW Sableye is great at shutting it down as well.
Finally, shoutouts! :)
RMT Raters
Obliviate Thanks for helping me a ton with the making of this RMT by reading over it and helping me out with the semistall section both before and after I lost my work. I'm really glad to have become friends with you after our OST match, which was one of my best tour matches so far. We play and test and talk a lot to each other and in general its really nice to have you as a friend. :]
ABR My Pokebattle Pal! We've been friends with for a while now and have been building many teams (mostly offense) together / sharing and testing teams together. You're a really chill guy and a great builder. Thank you for helping me go through my in-depth section for my team. Its time to take OLT! :]
GeeMick Your a nice friend, its fun to build and test w/ you and thanks for helping me a bit with the semistall section of this RMT.
Pokebattle Pals
Philip7086 Myuuuuuuu!!!! You're a really nice guy and pokebattle was amazing while it lasted. Please stick around PS, get every badge available while you're at it ;).
Blue Kirby Bring back pokebattle! I hope u had fun with the team while no one else had it, was really cool to play u after a while once pokebattle died out. Hopefully we can keep in touch :]
Stone_Cold Pokebattle was really fun even though you got salty sometimes we worked things out, I definitely learned a lot from continuously getting beaten when you just used that one rain team lol. End of beta was also fun and we had to avoid getting each other on ladder lol.
yondie I'm sure you remember me as a noob back at pokebattle (I was pretty dumb then lol) but I certainly learned a lot from you, especially about tournaments etc.
flamz 3 words: Troll, Banned, Awesome. Everyone hated you but you're a really chill guy when you're not acting like an idiot and we've built a bunch of cool squads together. Its nice to see you back in mons, hopefully we can go far this OLT. :]
CrashingDRaco Ioj from PB, the dumbass who quit mons. Come back! ;_; please?
fingerscrossed met you on here when I thought i was invincible with this really bad stall team, and you introduced me to the gothzard stall that was popular at that time. When i made the transition to PS you were the first one there to support me. You seem to be really busy with life now, but good luck with your endeavors and hopefully we can spend some more time on PS talking / building / playing. :]
PDC I met you on pokebattle as well and you urged me to make a Smogon account, which I'm glad i did. The PDC Era is coming, hopefully I can play on East with you next year.
Tesung Met you on PB when you were rocking the archeops team with the set I posted on the dex n_n. We haven't talked much recently but hopefully that can change and we can play chess more! :]
BOF Buds
disclaimer: this is in no particular order i'm just gonna go through ppl i remember easily off the top of my head and the list of users in bof rn. I will add more ppl as I remember them/if you remind me to add you! (Also if you were listed somewhere else I won't add u here).
Tom Bus super cool user and a great battler, also really good at expressing his ideas. Keep it up! ^_^
Prankster. helped me a lot in DPP and you're a cool user :]
cosine180 really chill and super good at mons + german! I'm assuming you're going to go to college now so gl with that and mons! :]
@Dark380 Chill dude, we haven't talked a lot but you're always rocking those cosine teams, gl with your future endeavors.
SmogonWorkHorse AKA Somalia, good thing I didn't put energy ball on my Specs Jelly HO huh? You're help in DPP really made a difference in my game and you're pretty chill so keep it up and make sure you don't quit for more than a day! :>
Sapientia idk if you're in bof or not but your tutoring for DPP was also extremely helpful and you're pretty nice, also germany! <3
-many shoutouts missing so lemme know!-
Tournament Teletubbies
gr8astard You were my first tournament for me on this site (OLT) and it was a thrilling series despite the endgame hax against me. You were also the only one who wanted me for the last SPL despite my lack of tournament experience, so thank you for that even if i didn't get picked up.
TheEnder sorry for haxing you a bit in OLT bud, that was an interesting series for sure. You've gone really far on smogon recently so gl with tours and being a mod, hopefully we can play some tours (like wcop) together sometime later.
All my OCL teammates, that was a fun albeit short lived experience w/ you guys n_n
BKC you seem like a really chill guy, and I kinda have my wifi issue fixed now (not really) n_n
TDK We talked a bit for the purpose of US East tryouts and discussed teambuilding etc. and you're super nice and supportive, also blue trophy! ^_^
Youtube Yodelers
aim obligatory shoutout to you, watching your videos really helped me grow as a player a few years ago and they're still pretty fun to watch now. Thanks for kinda popularizing one of the worst teams on my workshop o_o
blunder easily one of the most entertaining youtubers i've ever watched, indian power! :]
chimpact hopefully you will be able to start uploading vids again :D
mencemeat personally I believe you're one of the best ORASers because your play is generally super solid, keep it up bro! :]
As a bonus, I have an extra picture to go with this RMT

Again, thank you for reading and have a good day! :)

Last edited:

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I always enjoyed watching this team and never facing it [: It is a colorful balance/stall with the most unlikely characters. When the whole mega medicham rave was starting I thought about making a regular sableye team but figured it be to much deadweight and something that be hard to build around. I am definitely impressed in victini for finding a way to use this forgotten nuisance in a great way. Only suggestion's I would make is taunt over sub I find it more useful and Magma Storm over plume may help u better vs stall. Other then that congrats buddy very fantastic team glad to see it and hopefully we can build some time [:

Very frightening team! Well built and creative as well!
- I agree with njnp that serperior my benefit from running taunt or even another coverage move over sub.
- also, it looks as if sp.def skarmory with iron head would really aid you against huge threats like mega diancie and gard. I do realize that skarmory is your premier check to many physical threats and that you'd probably have to alter or change another member in order to run sp.def skarm, but it's just some food for thought.

Once again, great team and congratulations on the incredible peak! =]

Thanks for the rate dude!

Although Serperior with Taunt has its uses over Sub, I feel like sub is still better on this team for a few reasons. First the benefits of Taunt, you can break stall very very easily by preventing not just status but healing or phazing. Although this is useful, I feel its something this team doesn't need and sub helps it in other ways, most notably the free turns it grants outside of blocking status. This can be crucial if you need to stall out a pokemon that has been poisoned from tspikes or burned with wisp (or lo recoil) until you can kill it. It allows you to abuse sacks when facing HO, or set up a sub and a special attack boost on a burned ferrothorn, etc. The free turns sub grants are very powerful. Another use is scouting for choice-locked moves, for example against a Banded Dnite (I have in desperate situations beaten a DNite and the rest of its team that loses to Serp with just Serperior and Heatran by subbing to scout for its attack, synthesis stalling espeeds or forcing outrages, getting superpower drops etc.) I really like these free turns, but I will also probably try out Taunt to see how it does.

SDef Skarm would certainly be something I would love to add to handle Diancie, Gardevoir, and Tornadus-T, but as you said I would lose out on the physical bulk and nothing on my team would be able to replace that properly. Altaria can't withstand physical attacks it is weak to and is more pressured by hazards due to lack of leftovers, whereas nothing else on my team has the base bulk to be able to handle such threats. Changing Skarm to SDef and another mon to Defensive is similar to saying "I win 90% of the time, but let me make a change that lets me cover the 10% of games even though I will now lose 50% of the games I used to win." Its still something to consider, but finding a replacement to physdef skarm on this team would be pretty difficult.

I'm updating the shoutouts as well so that should be done pretty soon. Thanks to anyone and everyone who has read and supported my RMT! :]

Hey, I play a lot of semistall myself, and I just wanted to congratulate you on this great team- it's clearly well-built, and I really appreciate the amount of effort you put into writing this; all of your explaining your decisions really does make the team play a lot better in my hands than if you hadn't done all that work. The only real suggestion I can make is to change Skarmory's item from Leftovers --> Rocky Helmet and changing Counter --> Iron Head. I think Rocky Helmet would help your matchup against sand balance since it keeps Excadrill from spinning for free. Iron Head would allow you to beat Mega Diancie and Mega Gardevoir, two really big threats to your team. Hope I helped!

Thanks man, i'm glad to know that the time spent writing this helped you play with this team and understand it better. Rocky Helmet is certainly a very interesting idea I never considered that would help me vs Excadrill, as well as Lando-T u-turning, but at the same time I would have to test to see if the lack of leftovers would hurt me more than helmet would help me. TBH skarmory gets knocked off often and I generally don't notice but i'd probably run some calcs to make sure I won't miss out on something huge and then modify my spread a little bit since its geared towards gaining sturdy after 2 leftovers from rocks damage. As for Iron Head, it was what i originally had but I really didn't like it all too much as Skarmory is never a solid answer to Diancie or Gardevoir without SDef investment. In this case skarmory's primary purpose defensively is to wall many physical attackers, and I feel counter + whirlwind is pretty solid to handle these attackers. Your rocky helmet suggestion is very intriguing however so I will certainly give it a shot, thanks for the rate! :]

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Just some minor nitpicks, and only commenting on the team, since the guide portion would be an entirely different post in itself.

I feel like Synthesis on Serperior is just lackluster, but I do understand that you're using it to combat Manaphy; however, it might be better to simply use Mirror Coat on Tentacruel. Often times Manaphy just set up on Tentacruel, often because it can't do anything back really - but a +6 Energy Ball only does around 60%-ish, which would make it a lot more sturdier. As it is, Haze is easy to replace imo, seeing as how Scald Burns / Mirror Coat can take care of most Pokemon trying to take advantage of it. Another thing to consider is how easy it is to switch Sableye in against a physical mon trying to set up and getting off priority Will-O-Wisp.

I went to read up on why you were running Haze, and it seems you have considered Mirror Coat yourself! I've actually tested Tentacruel with Mirror Coat before, and it does everything your Haze is doing - beats Manaphy and CM Clefable. This way, Serperior is up to running a much better filler move - Leech Seed seems like a good opportunity, especially a fast SubSeed like Serperior, although Dragon Pulse / Glare are just as viable if you want more coverage or want to cripple fast threats for Altaria.

Off the top of my head, Leech Seed forces a lot of switches (racking up residual damage from your hazards). Leech Seed also adds on the passive damage you're dishing out, alongside the Wisp and TSpike spreads, making it even better at stalling out specific threats.

Dragon Pulse is useful for hitting Zard, which could be seen as problematic for your team, and Glare can stop sweeps more consistently (I'm looking at you, Charizard-X) (although I feel Leech Seed + Substitute can accomplish this in general, too, which being more passive-aggressive).
Leech + Leftovers are more than enough to make up for the lack of Synthesis, too, imo, whereas the Glare / Dragon Pulse would lose recovery entirely, and I don't believe in that in such a fat / bulky team like this.

As for Counter on Skarmory, whlile it's important to carry it to stop M-Pinsir from setting up +winning, I feel like if the opponent scouts by reusing SD and you reveal counter, that you've stuck yourself in a 50-50 between using Counter or Whirlwind. Why do that when you could be running Brave Bird? Sad, but BB Skarmory has gone down in usage, and getting some damage on Venu, Amo, and Pinsir could prove most beneficial for this team. (Especially because these threats can be fairly annoying to play around on sturdily built teams.)

I'm going to agree with the above rater in using Rocky Helmet since it keeps Lopunny from spamming Fake Outs too, while also pressuring Rapid Spin (if Starmie is rather low on HP, and you come in on Spin, and it dies, no hazards removed!) and in general is quite a useful item to carry. Skarmory is often bulky enough with Roost alone to sustain itself without Leftovers, and even the Wisp / Scald burns are cured through Heal Bell, giving your team a lot of freedom imo.

On Showdown, maximum Happiness is the standard; Altaria should use Frustration with 0 Happiness on the off chance you run into Ditto, which is utterly screwed if it goes for Frustration. (Ditto doesn't copy the happiness stat, so it's base power for Frustration would be 0, making its Frustration do 1% even at +6.)

As a side note, Gengar looks really threatenting, and can could quite possibly cost you the game during the lategame - while Mirror Coat Tentacruel eases this threat, you will sometimes need Tenta for other threats, and as such, something like Chople Berry on Heatran could be used to stop it; this would also help against Gardevoir, since that thing can quite possibly late game this team as well. However, it wouldn't be as consistent as Leftovers, so I'd evaluate how threatening Gardevoir + Gengar are before making this kind of change.

Otherwise, this team is fairly solid and innovative. Regular Sableye doesn't see much usage, and that's quite creative, I must admit, even if I hate facing teams like this myself. Tentacruel is another mon that I especially like since its role is pretty underrated and it does a lot more than one would anticipate. (This also extends to Serperior, too, which is quite threatening to unsuspecting teams.)

Good luck!

Wish people would rate teams more often. Mine has been on Showcase for months and nothing even remotely thorough has been posted. I miss the BW days. I extend this rate to you as my way of saying, "Good job! I think this team is fun and interesting enough to analyze and dissect."

Last edited:
Once again, thanks for the rate! I have seen a good amount of teams (including yours) without solid rates, so i'm really glad you took the time out to rate my team.

Considering that you have experience with Mirror Coat tenta i'm certainly going to have to take your word and try it out myself. SubSeed serp also sounds really interesting over SubSynth and something I will try out for sure, although I'm not sure whether it will make a positive difference or not (it sounds really great for residual stuff etc. but in normal situations 50% recovery is still fairly solid despite the low pp and liability to weather).
As I said earlier i'll certainly be trying out Rocky Helmet Skarm, and Brave Bird also seems interesting especially as it will still allow me to deal damage to non-hp fire diancie or focus miss gardevoir while giving me a non-passive attack that in general does more to stuff like lopunny and pinsir (a game yesterday taught me, however, that I should use altaria as my primary switchin once its mega'd as it avoids the 2hko after rocks and doesn't force a 60/40 with a pup set against skarm. Brave Bird skarm would eliminate this issue I guess). Since Tentacruel lacks haze however I would be slightly concerned about Feraligatr and Gyarados if they have a move to hit Altaria as brave bird wouldn't do as much, and gyara's sometimes run sub to avoid status so they can set up more easily which would annoy my team. At the same time Sub Gyara is beaten by Altaria so this isn't a major concern and Gatr still doesn't have a lot of room to setup). With brave bird the lack of leftovers recovery will certainly be more noticeable I think, so i'll have to do some thorough testing on Skarm.
I am going to keep my Altaria at 255 Happiness because I like my pokemon to be happy and loyal to me (except when they let a conkeldurr freeze skarm and altaria), and also a choice locked ditto with just return doesn't really bother me as I have Tran and Skarm, and ditto is also really uncommon. In all seriousness though, you can make that change and be fine although I think its mostly arbitrary as Ditto can choose to run 0 happiness as well, although this is less likely than just 255 happiness.
I understand your concern about gengar, lategame especially, but I feel at that point its unlikely that both Sableye will be below 65-ish % AND tentacruel will be low / desperately needed for something else AND I haven't done some sort of setup with Serperior / Altaria. Chople tran is still an interesting suggestion however as Gardevoir IS a major threat I need to account for. However, I think in the long run leftovers will be more useful on tran, so i'll probably try this last after solidifying any other changes.

I love the Semi-Stall guide, but perhaps add AV Azumarill, AV Bisharp, AV Conkelder, AV Entei & Raikou, Quagsire, Rhyperior, Landorus-T, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Porygon-2, Chansey, Blissey, Gastrodon, Rotom, Victini, Cressilia, Klefki, Keldeo, Mandibuzz, Reunclus, Hitmontop, Tyranatar, Whimsicott, Excadrill, Flygon (as niche Defogger) Gourgeist (niche spinblocker) and possibly more later. Mega Venusuar & Blastiose

AV Hoopa forms might deserve mention

Last edited:
I love the Semi-Stall guide, but perhaps add AV Azumarill, AV Bisharp, AV Conkelder, AV Entei & Raikou, Quagsire, Rhyperior, Landorus-T, Vaporeon, Umbreon, Porygon-2, Chansey, Blissey, Gastrodon, Rotom, Victini, Cressilia, Klefki, Keldeo, Mandibuzz, Reunclus, Hitmontop, Tyranatar, Whimsicott, Excadrill, Flygon (as niche Defogger) Gourgeist (niche spinblocker) and possibly more later. Mega Venusuar & Blastiose

AV Hoopa forms might deserve mention
I found some of these were too full-stall ish (Chansey/Blissey, etc.) while some of these maay be too offensive (Lando-t, keldeo, the av users), some of these i'm surprised i didn't add (mandi, reuni) [i had to redo this entire RMT remember], and some of them are certainly worth adding. Thanks for the suggestions.

p sure i found the template for this squad rolled up in the trash bin of the ss anne mess hall
I can't remember what happens in the ss anne from HGSS or RBY so i don't know if this is a reference, or just some other witty way of conveying a message (I could see it as either good or bad depending on how i look at what i think it is), but w/e. If u add a rate to that post it would be swell :D

Also i've been testing some and i'm going to be putting Rocky Helmet > Leftovers on Skarm and an appropriate ev change. Once i test out other changes (i'll probably fiddle with other things as well so this team is adapted to the current metagame like maybe taunt > sub on serp or shed shell heatran (lol), but these likely will only be added to the op as metagame calls if they work out well). Once I finalize these changes I will update the OP (or when i'm not lazy/busy).

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I feel that bisharp should be added to the list in the mid tier due to it's amazing offensive pressence and potentially forcing your opponent to let you set up or keep the hazards up. As well as the AV set working really well here allowing it to stay in on a lot more things and pursuit some psychic types. As well as just being a scary mon in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)