ORAS OU Shades Of Cool

♫My Baby Lives in Shades Of Cool♫

Introduction
Well, Here we are again my friends. Here to bring you my Second RMT, which honestly is a bit of a reboot of my previous team. However, after mMaws sad passing in XY OU, I couldn't get any thing to take her place, and ended up slowly tilting into obscurity. . . Fast foward to ORAS, where the goddess that is mLopunny is released. I played around with the typical all out attacker set, but just couldn't get along with playing HO since Blanace/Bulky offense is my preferred playstyle, which took me to making Shades of Cool (2.0). Let's get on with it.
(BTW each Poke comes with the song it's named after. :3)

Team Building Process

The Goddess, the monster, Mega Lopunny. This thing is an absolute monster. She has the most coveted ability to have unresisted STAB, and STAB that hits hard as hell while she's at it. She is an absolute offensive monster, that can even take some hits with a little help.

Manaphy has proven to be an amazing addition to the team. This team had no way of dealing stall outside of Mega Lopunny, who is hard walled by unaware Pokemon. However, Manaphy under rain, can 2HKO unaware Clefable as well as the less common Quagsire.

Landorus is there simply as a late game cleaner/First turn scout, which usually makes people think it's simply lead Landorus-T.

Next, we needed a Defogger, and Zapdos is quite easily one of the best Pokemon capable of doing so, while also walling bird Spam with ease.

A rock setter is also a must for any team, aiding in breaking sashes and Sturdy that can come back to really bite sweepers in the butt, A fairy killer is also much needed with the rise in Clefable as of late.

Celebi provided a much needed way of stopping Dedicated rain teams hard. With its typing, it also provides a good way of easily coming in on Keldeo who otherwise does severe damage to this team. It also supplies a very helpful attribute in having Heal Bell to remove any pesky status.

Well, there we have it the team as it is now. . .
Let's dig into them. . .

In-Depth

Habits (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Good old scarfed Landorus-T. He'll never steer you wrong. The EVs are specialized to Outspeed mSceptile and mBeedrill and OHKO Mega Manectric as well as live a +1 Sucker Punch from Bisharp 87.2% of the time (can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose), four threats that would otherwise take this thing down first turn, provided your opponent leads correctly. The best part about it however, is that it allows me to get the jump on the opponent using ScarfLando-T. EdgeQuake is there for obvious reasons. Knock off is simply there for aiding its team mates with dealing with opposing walls or attackers. U-Turn is there to not only scout, but to passively drop the attack stat of Physical attackers that would other wise be a problem for Landorus' teammates.

Lolita (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Drain Punch/High Jump Kick
- Power Up Punch

My Goddess, My power house, My favorite OU Mega. . . mLop is by far one of the best megas to come out of ORAS. Because of scrappy, she has 99.99% unresisted STAB (stupid shedinja), and two hard hitting STABs. I tried the typical all out attacking set, but just couldn't stick with the hit and run style in which she plays. I instead tried a more safe approach, and thus the SubPuP mLop was born. With sub it allows me to avoid any status that things may want to go for knowing they would otherwise live. It also allows me to get past the stupid HJK "mind game" that tends to happen. You know the one, the "is he going to protect here?" game. Drain Punch allows her to heal up any damage that sub has done or done by other Pokemon. Frustration is for the few things that take fighting STAB and Power Up Punch is to give her the ability to pretty much OHKO the majority of the meta with unresisted STAB. The most important thing to watch out for is the switch over to mega. As long as you can switch in mLop on something slower and more likely to go for a status move, the better off she is, and has the opportunity to destroy whatever decides to come in next.

Breathe This Air (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Manaphy truly is the prince of the sea. This thing is down right amazing against stall. Rain Dance allows Manaphy to cure itself from any status given by any stall mon thanks to Hydration. Tail Glow is so amazingly powerful, in simply 2 turns Manaphy is already at +6. A +6 Scald in the rain, is nothing to scoff at, not many things can freely take this attack and live to tell the tale. Psychic allows it to take down many of the Pokemon that resist its water STAB. However, Ferrothorn can take both of these attacks, even at +6. However, I have a couple answers for Ferrothorn. Mega Lopunny and TGRD Manaphy create an amazing wall and stall breaker core together.

Diamond (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This thing is here for two reasons, getting rid of those stupid rocks everyone loves throwing out, and dealing with the ever popular Bird Spam. Although it doesn't quite like coming in on rocks, none of the defoggers (bar Scizor) do, it has enough bulk to stay around for a while and remove hazards that may prove to be a problem over time. On a side note this thing is also the best answer I have to TFlame and mPinsir that don't carry Stone Edge. Able to survive a +2 Flare Blitz with about 25% and OHKO with Thunderbolt if the opportunity arises. Zapdos is single-handedly the best bird spam counter out there, with its ability to likely OHKO any bird thinking it can just click Brave Bird in its face.

Arcades (Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Heatran, oh Heatran. Your usefulness in this tier is beyond amazing. As long as his balloon isn't popped, which I make sure to keep intact if I require it to be, Excadrill is just plain stopped, spin if you'd like, I'll just OHKO in return with a Lava Plume. The rocks are simply there for breaking sashes, and good old charizard, which this thing just so happens to deal with, as long as it doesn't have Focus Blast, which, who am I kidding, all of them do for this thing specifically (hope for that miss). It's also my best answer to that pink puff ball clefairy as well as Sylveon who would other wise have fun with my team. This is the mon that sees the least amount of action typically, and it's because It's here for specific things stopping the fairies and Excadrill, and setting up rocks if I need them, OR if I want to get the opponent to waste a turn using defog. It also can some what deal that stupid bird that terrorizes the tier who with enough brave birds and Lava Plumes won't be around for long.

Rather Be (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 80 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain

Celebi, the classic. We needed an answer to Keldeo, as well as Mega Swampert and Mega Slowbro, who otherwise only went down due to damage over time. With this Celebi, there's nothing Mega Swampert could possibly do. Max Attack Ice Punch does at most 49% to Celebi, avoiding the 2HKO entirely, with Giga Drain the maority of that HP is restored and also gives Celebi a 25% chance of OHKO'ing Mega Pert in return. Not too bad of a trade off. Keldeo also can't do a single thing. Icy Wind does all of 44% where as Giga Drain easily 2HKOs and isn't threatened at all. Mega Slowbro also can't touch Celebi unless it's the rarer 3 attack Mega Bro with Ice Beam/Fire Blast. Nasty Plot works to pass Stat boosts to its fellow special attacking teammates, enabling them to hit as hard as they can. Baton Pass allows Celebi to dry or nasty pass, giving its switch in a free switch and most times allowing it to heavily threaten whatever may be in. Celebi is an awesome Pokemon in this meta.

Mega Latias
This thing is a lot like Mega Mence, after it sets up enough with CM, it runs through my team. It simply clicks Stored Power through my team after enough turns of set up.

Mega Slowbro
Do I really need to repeat this again? This thing is arguably the second, maybe third, most broken Pokemon in the ORAS OU metagame. It's so ridiculously easy to set up with. I only have a few ways of hitting it prior to setting up. However, once it has, it's just time for me to click the forfeit button.

Conclusion
This team is honestly a recreation of my old mMawile team, which got banned shortly after my last RMT, so, I took it down, and learned to live without it. It's meant to be played as more of a balanced/bulky offensive team. It's worked extremely well for me lately pushing me to the top of the ladder prior to the Crash and after. It's a safer approach to what is an exceptionally offensive metagame currently. As stated, it's worked really well, but it definitely needs improvements for specific threats.

Habits (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Lolita (Lopunny) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Drain Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Breathe This Air (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Diamond (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Arcades (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Rather Be (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 80 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain

Last edited:
You have a nice team, but it is absurdly Keldeo weak. Putting a more specially defensive spread on Sylveon could theoretically solve the issue, but with Stealth Rock down, even maximum Special Defense Sylveon cannot completely avoid any chances of getting 2HKOd by a Choice Specs Hydro Pump without relying on Protect. This should definitely be addressed.

You have a nice team, but it is absurdly Keldeo weak. Putting a more specially defensive spread on Sylveon could theoretically solve the issue, but with Stealth Rock down, even maximum Special Defense Sylveon cannot completely avoid any chances of getting 2HKOd by a Choice Specs Hydro Pump without relying on Protect. This should definitely be addressed.
I've realized this, I dealt with it, but didn't have many switch ins. I used to have Latios over Zapdos, but mega mence would otherwise be a huge problem. I may consider exchanging Sylveon for something else.

Thanks for making this known.

I've realized this, I dealt with it, but didn't have many switch ins. I used to have Latios over Zapdos, but mega mence would otherwise be a huge problem. I may consider exchanging Sylveon for something else.

Thanks for making this known.
because megamence is totally not getting banned in a week, proof:
[17:09] Jukain: haunter refuses to ban mega salamence

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just have a few nitpicks to make about your team.

Landorus: The set is just fine

Lopunny: I recommend having fake out so that you can get a free turn to mega evolve, and fire punch just to hit steel types that you hit with your STAB combo neutrally much harder such as megagross.

Kyurem: You may want to replace a move with dragon claw so that you can have a strong physical STAB move at your disposal.

Zapdos: The set is good.

Heatran: You may want to run taunt and shove some extra EVs into speed so that you can stop many things from setting up. I, as a super common user of air balloon heatran myself, prefers the pure power of Fire Blast over the burn chance and accuracy of lava plume.

Sylveon: It is pretty much the best sylveon set that you can hope for, but you really should swap it out for a different fairy, I'll post again when I have my recommendation for fairy type with a set. Right now, I'd say you should either pick up Clefable or Diancie (excuse my spelling) over it.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i like this team, i like your team name, i like the song Young and Beautiful, and i liked your post!

Your team will literally be the first team I try out for ORAS OU. Feel proud!

I just have a few nitpicks to make about your team.

Lopunny: I recommend having fake out so that you can get a free turn to mega evolve, and fire punch just to hit steel types that you hit with your STAB combo neutrally much harder such as megagross.

Kyurem: You may want to replace a move with dragon claw so that you can have a strong physical STAB move at your disposal.

Sylveon: It is pretty much the best sylveon set that you can hope for, but you really should swap it out for a different fairy, I'll post again when I have my recommendation for fairy type with a set. Right now, I'd say you should either pick up Clefable or Diancie (excuse my spelling) over it.
As for Lopunny, she really doesn't have any space to fit fake out in. Which is why it's really reliant on coming in on a favorable match up, typically on a Poke that thinks it will live a hit and status me.

KyuB has Fusion Bolt for that exact reason. However, that has given me an idea, If I were to switch anything it'd be Fusion Bolt for Iron head so that I can hit Fairies that otherwise think they can do as they please.

I'll have to give Unaware Clef a try until mence is banned because typically, after mence has set up to +1 it's typically GG unless I play Zapdos correctly.

The main problem I've had so far with this is, it's so focused on making sure it has an answer for Mega Mence that it forces me to carry Pokemon in slots that could be filled by others. The second it gets the boot however, there will be quite a few changes made.

Thanks for looking out.

i like this team, i like your team name, i like the song Young and Beautiful, and i liked your post!

Your team will literally be the first team I try out for ORAS OU. Feel proud!
Glad to see someone else enjoys the love of my life. :)

I do feel quite good I must admit.

how do you deal with mega swampert?
That's actually a problem I've ran into recently. My best bet has been to hit it over time and wear it down. However, I've ran into quite a few rain teams lately and it immediately made me realize there's a bit of a problem with Swampert in particular. Which has begun to make me think of putting Celebi in here somewhere to not only deal with mega Swampert, but also Keldeo as Alfalfa pointed out.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
hey,

over the past 30 mins i have been winning all my games in orasou with your team, 13-0 :)

it is a wonderful team and this is a wonderful RMT

only trouble I had was with clefable a little bit and mega swampert in a rain team.

I have decided to change Sylveon out for Unaware Clefable. The same set, just on a different Pokemon. It's a much more reliable "answer" to mega Mence than Sylveon was because of Unaware.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
sub punch is not necisary on lopunny because it already has drain punch, and the extra damage from FP doesn't work out as well as the coverage and momentum you get from fake out and fire punch.

See, the thing is, if I wanted to go for the hyper offense approach, I would use fake out. However, that is not how this team plays. It's much more of a safe approach to the metagame, also, I have other answers to megagross. Besides, Focus Punch + Drain Punch even at minimum does more than 2 Fire punches do at minimum.

252 Atk Lopunny Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 178-211 (59.1 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 90-106 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- 20.1% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Lopunny Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 120-142 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The entire point of this set is to come in on a Pokemon that will either try to status me, or on something that won't be staying in on mLop, and set up a sub and click Focus Punch. I don't need the coverage because of how insanely hard Focus Punch hits, and Fake out just doesn't fit anywhere on the set.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
so... who answers to greninja now that sylveon has been fired?

i never had trouble with megamence cause zapdos + slyveon always does the trick :)

i dont know why they always only run return...

anyway, megamence will be autobanned when ORAS OU will be released!

maybe you can edit your team when that happens, to suit the newest metagame better! :D

Last edited:

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
The team is as perfect as it can get, great job. The only nitpick i can make would be to change return to frustration on lopunny and to give lopunny the lowest happiness possible. You dont have to do this but i dislike scarf dittos. Then again scarf dittos isnt much of a threat to your team.

so... who answers to greninja now that sylveon has been fired?

i never had trouble with megamence cause zapdos + slyveon always does the trick :)

i dont know why they always only run return...

anyway, megamence will be autobanned when ORAS OU will be released!

maybe you can edit your team when that happens, to suit the newest metagame better! :D
That's actually exactly the plan. Once mega mence does go, there will be changes made, and I will be editing the OP. It's just that with the abundance of mega mence I sort of have to over prepare if I want to get anywhere.

Speaking of Broken Mons, my typical answer to Ninja is mLop herself, since she's able to outspeed non-scarfed variants and OHKO with frustration. However, it's not really the easiest Pokemon to switch into, so it's difficult to get her in at times because of it's ridiculous movepool.

The team is as perfect as it can get, great job. The only nitpick i can make would be to change return to frustration on lopunny and to give lopunny the lowest happiness possible. You dont have to do this but i dislike scarf dittos. Then again scarf dittos isnt much of a threat to your team.
Thanks for noticing that, I changed it on my team, but not the OP after running into a ditto that reminded me of this, luckily, I was already behind a sub. :)

I don't think Heal Bell is necessary on this team. Your 2 wallbreakers have sub and you have Celebi with Natural Cure as a status absorber.

You can change Heal Bell for Nasty Plot and now Mega Slowbro can't touch you.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Changes have been made to the OP reflect the Post Mega Mence Meta.
Feel free to butcher it. I've yet to be able to fully test it because of PS being down.
Oh my goodness, the whole team is like it had a total face lift! Plastic surgery!

I don't know why the team looks a lot more defensive now, but I will test it out too! If you have done any research, Moose, please update the thread so that your audience/fans eagerly wait for you :)

Oh my goodness, the whole team is like it had a total face lift! Plastic surgery!

I don't know why the team looks a lot more defensive now, but I will test it out too! If you have done any research, Moose, please update the thread so that your audience/fans eagerly wait for you :)
Lol, Idk about the fans part.
However, I have realized, like a lot of teams, MegaGross is a pretty big problem, as well as birdspam for the most part, who both otherwise rely on being taken down over time. I've begun to think about exchanging Jirachi with Bronzong for MegaGross.
I was around #57 for a while there until I tilted into obscurity, I'll try pulling it back up tomorrow. I've realized Stall is HUGE in ORAS now, and this team doesn't have all that much to deal with it if the opponent is a skilled Stall player.

Using one last bump to express that the team has undergone a massive reconstruction yet again.
It has worked extremely well so far and I have yet to see any huge glaring problems. Feel free to yet again butcher it if need be, otherwise, thanks for the read!

Hi, it is really an interesting team here, but i think this team will have some problem when it faces to rain team.

Hey you ol' pal you :]

So your team looks really crisp and clean though I have only one suggestion.
Maybe you can change Florges to Physically defensive/oriented Celebi as this thing masterfully checks Mswamp rain and walls Keldeo, and checks Megabro extremely well (counters if Nasty Plot) as well as has great synergy with the team, I believe. (Celetran and that good stuff.) It can be the cleric too if you really want that and Baton Pass for momentum. Another option is NastyPass (KB sweep?).

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature
-Giga Drain
-Heal Bell / Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Recover

Anyways, not much else to add to that. Really pro team.

Last edited:
Hi, it is really an interesting team here, but i think this team will have some problem when it faces to rain team.
yup, unfortunately, it's a glaring weakness, and my only answer is Florges at the moment.

Hey you ol' pal you :]

So your team looks really crisp and clean though I have only one suggestion.
Maybe you can change Florges to Physically defensive/oriented Celebi as this thing masterfully checks Mswamp rain and walls Keldeo, and checks Megabro extremely well (counters if Nasty Plot) as well as has great synergy with the team, I believe. (Celetran and that good stuff.) It can be the cleric too if you really want that and Baton Pass for momentum. Another option is NastyPass.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature
-Giga Drain
-Heal Bell / Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Recover

Anyways, not much else to add to that. Really pro team.
'Sup Buddy ol' Pal! :D

I'll have to give this a try. I had Celebi before changing it this last time, but the glaring ice weakness turned me off, however, Celebi is actually extremely bulky and capable of taking non-STAB Ice type attacks. BP would be helpful as well for dry-passing.

Thanks for the help!

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Hello! Your IVs for Zapdos is wrong for Hidden Power Ice! When used in the simulator, the IV would give you Hidden Power Dragon!

I suggest that your Zapdos IV be set to 2 Attack, 30 Defense IVs!

Hello! Your IVs for Zapdos is wrong for Hidden Power Ice! When used in the simulator, the IV would give you Hidden Power Dragon!

I suggest that your Zapdos IV be set to 2 Attack, 30 Defense IVs!
Oh, wow, my apologies, edited. ._.

Also, the team has undergone, yet again, a major reconstruction. Unfortunately, KyuB has been dropped for Manaphy and Florges for Celebi to create a nice little FWG core. However, I have yet to run into any thing that completely decimates this team so far like Keldeo used to. Greninja is of course still a bit of a problem, but then again what doesn't it threaten?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)