Metagame Shared Power

but then fur coat + fluffy + stamina = horrible
and fur coat + fluffy + prankster + recover will be awesome too, last time i faced that there was also a regenerator and I had a guts team and just died on flame orb chip damage, the guy just had nothing to do to win :D

also if you give toxapex back regenerator with another pokemon, you will miss a useful ability, I'm not sure many will pick him up, it would only be viable with merciless but I can still see it being a problem with toxic spikes

actually regenerator takes 0 skill, 0 strategy, 0 brain
how many times i've seen battles where the guy keeps switching until he has regenerated all his pokemons? (rarely happened to me but i watched others' battles and it's plain boring and people get angry each time)

it's only about switching for regen teams and as I said before, the first turns before activating the abilities are one of the best part of this OM, but regen just destroys this part
I agree that unbanning Toxapex is a good idea, but if that happens a ban on Regenerator needs to happen. Toxapex would be viable on a stall team even without adding Regen to the team. It's THAT bulky especially with its decent typing and all the other boosts from other stall-based mons.

I totally agree with the fact Regen takes 0 skill and brains to do. It's easy and imo, very potent against many different teams. Despite this, I don't think its broken currently in the meta whilst there's no FurCoat.
If we brought Fur Coat back instead of Regen, the combo you mentioned would be a real issue.

In conclusion, if we brought back Toxapex, this should happen: Ban Regenerator, unban Furcoat, then complex bans; some of these may look like like:
Fur Coat and Fluffy
Fur Coat and Ice Scales
Stamina and Fur Coat
Then we may have a more balanced meta with the real threat of a Merciless team.

Despite this, I think we should just leave it for now as there's only 3 or so more days left of the meta, but up to The Immortal. Is it really worth banning anything now as there will not be enough time to see how those bans will affect the meta?

:)

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Do Solid Rock / Filter / Prism Armor all stack? Based on the sludge bomb damage to Eldegoss i'd think yes but for some reason I thought copycat ability stacking wouldnt work but maybe I made that up in my head or accidentally transferred that bit of info over from another metagame?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1104698486-543841sq3ewd6j39blxbyb3b0pr8rq3pw
Solid Rock, Filter and Prism Armor all stack. It’s the names that matter rather than the effects of the Abilities. Similarly, Huge Power and Pure Power would stack if they were allowed (Shared Power Natdex AG when), and Steelworker and Steely Spirit—which have the same effect in singles—stacked, which was the reason that combination was banned.

Solid Rock, Filter and Prism Armor all stack. It’s the names that matter rather than the effects of the Abilities. Similarly, Huge Power and Pure Power would stack if they were allowed (Shared Power Natdex AG when), and Steelworker and Steely Spirit—which have the same effect in singles—stacked, which was the reason that combination was banned.
thanks, does anyone know the math on it? stacking them? 3/4 of the damage x3 would add up to 1/4 of the damage taken or? and its 3/4 the damage of a supereffective attack which is normally 2x so would it equal out to a toal of .5x the damage for a super effective attack?

thanks, does anyone know the math on it? stacking them? 3/4 of the damage x3 would add up to 1/4 of the damage taken or? and its 3/4 the damage of a supereffective attack which is normally 2x so would it equal out to a toal of .5x the damage for a super effective attack?
They stack. It's 0.5 damage reduction total.

They stack. It's 0.5 damage reduction total.
... Huh, that's not what I expected. Is there something specific about the mechanics that makes them work like this/do they stack in a way other than multiplication?

I haven't tested it, so this is not "how it actually works," just "the reason I was surprised by the number 50%" - this isn't a solid correction, just elaboration on my question!
I would have guessed that they'd combine to 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 = 27/64 or 42.1875%, making a regular super effective move 84.375% of the damage of a neutral hit and a double-weakness 168.75% of the damage of a neutral hit.
(Or if you just have two of them, a super effective move would be 9/16 of its modified power, making it stronger than a neutral hit by just 12.5%, and of course a double-super-effective move would be 225%.)

Edit: pff, okay - fair enough!

Last edited:
... Huh, that's not what I expected. Is there something specific about the mechanics that makes them work like this/do they stack in a way other than multiplication?

I haven't tested it, so this is not "how it actually works," just "the reason I was surprised by the number 50%" - this isn't a solid correction, just elaboration on my question!
I would have guessed that they'd combine to 3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 = 27/64 or 42.1875%, making a regular super effective move 84.375% of the damage of a neutral hit and a double-weakness 168.75% of the damage of a neutral hit.
(Or if you just have two of them, a super effective move would be 9/16 of its modified power, making it stronger than a neutral hit by just 12.5%, and of course a double-super-effective move would be 225%.)
Idk. Me and Kris tested it and kept getting 0.5 total. That's all I know.

Edit: pff, okay - fair enough!
Idk. Me and Kris tested it and kept getting 0.5 total. That's all I know.
I mean, that’s pretty close to both the (3/4)^2 and (3/4)^3, being 0.5625 and 0.421875, so it might have to do with Damage rolls, or how one of the abilities does the damage reduction in the code (likely Prism Armor since it’s exclusive).
But either way, it hardly makes a difference. Just 2 is enough, and going for all 3 is just diminishing returns, since the difference between 1 filter clone to 2 is greater than 2 filter clones to 3.

Starf berry should be banned because of its use with harvest and cheek pouch.. Really OP. Only way to beat it its to knock it off but its can be used ith all 6 pkm...

Starf berry should be banned because of its use with harvest and cheek pouch.. Really OP. Only way to beat it its to knock it off but its can be used ith all 6 pkm...
Not quite, sticky hold negates knock off but there are other ways to beat it. Unnerve is one way just a good and fast hyper offense works too. It's easily beatable and is only good in limited situations.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not quite, sticky hold negates knock off but there are other ways to beat it. Unnerve is one way just a good and fast hyper offense works too. It's easily beatable and is only good in limited situations.
Slapping unnerve on ur offense wont guarantee that you beat berry teams. Slapping Unnerve + Infiltrator (esp if the infiltrator is Pult) wont guarantee that you beat berry teams. Slapping Unnerve + Infiltrator + knock off users wont guarantee that you beat Berry teams. I get that people want more diversity, but Harvest teams DO NOT BRING THAT to the meta. Offense is forced into a position where they have to slap a worthless ability just to counter this particular strat. Pressure is INFINITELY better for teams from Corviknight, Sand Stream on Tyranitar and even Unnerve Galvantula is running on ladder. and you know what the worst part is? Greedent bypasses almost every conventional berry stop thanks to Stuff Cheeks anyways. Stuff Cheeks boosts the defense and forces you to eat your berry, allowing you to use physically leaning Pokemon without encore as set up bait. Thanks to how berry mechanics work, you can spam stuff cheeks in sun and "dodge" Knock Off as the berries disappear with priority, rendering you itemless, making Knock Off hit like a wet noodle, then at the end of the turn you get back your berry safely to rinse and repeat. I faced Clear Smog + Haze Weezing on ladder. Just so that Weezing can always pressure berry teams (it worked well) whether behind a sub or not. Now I shouldn't have to tell you why Clear Smog + Haze Weezing against near any other playstyle is shit. Why should i gimp my team for a specific playstyle if its not even guaranteed to beat it? I don't really care what y'all do. Month is ending anyways, but I gotta say, this dumpster fire of ladder experience this past month was a wild ride. Cheers.

that's crazy that stuff cheeks ignores unnerve. also wild that this is a meta where Greedent is essential to an archtype. Yeah my take aways on Shared Power are very mixed, this meta has made me rage quit quite a bit but sometimes when you pull off a good combo it's almost worth it. 5/10. Not gonna miss it :psygrump: to all you pressure + regenerator + prankster sub users wasting countless hours of everyone's lives... :fukyu:

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As one guy said earlier, darkest lariat is a on a good deal of pokemon and could probably kill the greedent before it can set up.
If the Darkest Lariat user doesnt set up it still loses, especially since Body Press is turned into a nuke and Greedent is actually pretty bulky anyways. In fact, the lariat user has to get in before greedent, as Body press is usually super effective and only needs the first +2 defense boost to kill them. So once again, no, it doesn't always work and can be worked around.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
The Shared Power metagame currently revolves around a few centralizing HO strategies. They are:
  • Multi-hit spam (countered by Stamina + Steel type)
  • Dragapult + 5 mons that support Dragapult (countered by Flash Fire + Steel type)
  • Weather (Sun countered by Flash Fire + Steel Type, Sand by floating Steel)
  • Weak Armor + Sturdy (countered by...idk, being very careful about when you click physical attacks?)
As a result, it is nearly required for balance/stall to bring a bulky Steel type to have a good matchup versus HO.

Enter Meltan.

--> Click here for Meltan team <--

This Pokemon is useless by itself, but lets every single user on your team trap Steel types. When you're able to trap a Pokemon while being able to switch yourself, this kind of thing can happen.

I slapped a Meltan onto a Skill Link team, and now it comes close to autowinning if it encounters a Steel type. This gives it a good matchup versus stalls that run Ferrothorn or Corviknight as well as balances with Durant, Excadrill, Bisharp, or Togedemaru. Versus enemy HO, Skill Link usually does pretty well despite being being down a team member.

Here's a replay where SD Excadrill is trapped and used as setup fodder for DD Necrozma: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8sharedpower-1103306690

I think Meltan could be used effectively on any team which relies on sweepers walled by Flash Fire Corviknight or other steels (Skill Link, Dragapult spam, or Harvest, to name a few). Just watch out for Doublade!
I’ve been using Meltan teams for the past several days, and Meltan itself puts in a surprising amount of work, especially against Skill Link teams that feature Crustle and Cloyster (who take massive damage from Steel Beam and Thunderbolt respectively).

Shared power doubles would be a really cool meta tbh and sort of fits the theme of sharing more than singles honestly
Partners in crime was somewhat similar, but it shared movesets and abilities with only the active pokemon. It was fun but not very active unfortunately.

To prevent an off topic one liner, I've been having a lot of trouble building teams in this meta. A lot of OMs have many threats to account for, but man it gets overwhelming in this one since one threat to a team can potentially multiply to the entire team being a threat. Offensively you have to account for stamina, sub pressure, flash fluffy steels, intimidate, regenerator, berry spam, ice scales, immunity abilities, and others. Defensively, it's usually some combination of technician, skill link, hustle, no guard, sheer force, infiltrator, adaptability, and tough claws, sometimes with weather or sturdy weak armor setup. This makes it really hard to build a real balance team, since HO will often overwhelm balance, while balance has trouble putting enough pressure on stall, though setup helps a lot in the latter case. There's also an endless amount of physically based offensive abilities while special mostly just has punk rock, pixilate, adapt, and sheer force, and even then sheer force doesn't usually stack with pix/punk. This does allow special based teams to get the jump on teams oveprepared for physically focused defense/stall teams, but it's harder for them to play through ice scales than it is for physical teams to play through fluffy. While balance can find success, the meta is very centralized around stall and HO. In all honesty though I haven't reached a very high ladder position so I know I have much to learn, but these are my takes from my time playing so far.

Last edited:
I was theorybuilding a while ago but I just want to know what'd happen if you had both Pixilate and Liquid Voice active and you use Hyper Voice. Does it become a fairy move? A water move? Both? And if we had legitimate ways to obtain Pixilate + Galvanize, for example, would the one that became active last overwrite the other? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)