SS OU Shiftry Sun

My though process

I wanted to build a sun team that could beat rain while also not folding completely to sand, banded Darmanitan and some of the more common dragons. I wanted to give the team my own twist to make it less boring but I'm not sure if it's really a good team. I've been playing around with it on ladder and it's been pretty decent, but I'm still not sure about whether it's good or not.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Torkoal is pretty much necessary for a sun team to function. The reason for why I'm using Torkoal over Ninetales is because I didn't want to have to dedicate another slot for spinning + stealth rocks and because it wins the weather war thanks to it being the slowest weather setter. I'm using yawn to not give the other weather setters free entry, while also not giving some of the scarrier special attackers like toxtricity free entry. The Evs in special defence are mainly for tanking scalds from pelipper and other weaker water types.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

I'm using Toxapex on this team because I needed a mon that could check rain while also checking specs Dragapult, Bulk Up Grimsnarl and because I really needed something that could decently sponge special attacks. I wanted to build a bulkier sun team that doesn't flop to most waters, which is why I chose this broken ass mon. Past that, it basically just spreads burn and poison while walling 90% of the metagame, just toxapex things.

Charizard-Gmax @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Hurricane

Charizard is the teams main nuke, anything that isn't immune to fire type attacks (dracovish gets 2hkod after rocks) gets cleanly 2hkod. The reason for why I'm not using Heavy duty boots is because of that I wanted a special attacker that didn't have to rely on fire blast to nuke everything. Hurricane might seem kinda counterintuitive, but it helps against rain while also giving zard a chance to sweep thanks to Max Hurricane being strong and giving it a speed boost.

The rest of the moves are just for coverage, Solar Beam helps in a lategame sweep vs Bulky waters and Dragon Pulse is mainly there to kill other dragons.

(I'm a bit of an idiot and I dunno how to get the BB code for Hattrenes sprite pls help)

Hatterene-Gmax (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Hattrene is necessary for the team to function, as without it I'd just get hazard stacked to death. It's main job is checking super passive Stealth Rockers like Corsola and Ferrothorn while also being a hard Toxapex counter. I'm using a quiet nature to make sure that I always speed tie other hattrenes under trcik room while also taking minimal damage from Ferrothorns Gyro balls.

I'm using Healing Wish to give my sun sweeper a second chance and since I really didn't like the other options it got (I didn't really think that Trick Toom, Calm Mind, Nuzzle, Life Dew and the other coverage options were worth using).

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave

I'm using Shiftry as my sun abuiser because I wanted a mon that could take advantage of the fire type move boost without having to use weather ball. The reason for why I'm using it over other special Chlorophyll users is because of it's speed, which allows it to run a modest nature without risking being outsped by some of the faster scarfers. It also has an amazing offensive typing and movepool, nothing really wants to switch into the combination of fire, dark and grass coverage.

I'm using Growth over Nasty Plot to bait a mixed set. Since it's not going to do much sweeping or breaking outside of sun, I really didn't see the point in using Nasty Plot over Growth.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Rotom is basically here to check gyarados while beating rain. Max bulk to not get 2hkod by +1 Max Overgrowth while dynamaxed after leftovers so that I can then use my Max electric move and blow it away. It also walls Barraskewda, checks alot of mons Toxapex checks which puts alot of pressure off of it, it can also pivot into my sun sweepers to help them break and spreads paralysis and burns thanks to double status.

Hydro pump might seem weird to use on a sun team, but it still does a decent cunk to alot of the grounds that try to sponge volt switch, while also chunking most fire and rock types decently hard.

Edit: Forgot the paste https://pokepast.es/2517e9bcfebea707

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)