Shinespark (Trick Room Team)

Hallo, peoples! Just thought I'd post up this team I've been playing around with. I want to get some opinions, since I've kind of been out of the metagame for a while.

Anyway, this is my take on an OU Trick Room Team. I tested this for a little while on PO, and the amount of forfeits I received through the battles was simply shocking! Now, I don't know if I got lucky, my opponents were unlucky, or if I made a darn good team. So I thought I'd see what you all have to say about it! :3

Lagg (Slowbro) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Trick Room
- Yawn

Just a standard Trick Room Slowbro here. His stats allow him to take down Ferrothorn and other Fire-wary foes with ease, and Surf is there for STAB. I added Yawn to help force switches on opponents who aren't immediate threats, so I can set up a Trick Room. Regenerator is pretty reliable at keeping him alive.

Nightmare (Scizor) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

One of my TR Sweepers. If I feel a switch coming, I can try to predict a setup chance. Even if I predict wrong, as long as they don't hold Fire, I'm good. Bug Bite and Bullet Punch both abuse Technician for more power (along with the Life Orb), with the latter allowing for revenge killing and priority outside of Trick Room. Superpower is for breaking through those tougher Pokemon, and for more coverage.

Xcell (Reuniclus) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

What TR Team is complete without this cell-structured Pokemon? Another TR Setter, with Magic Guard to protect from weather, entry hazards, Life Orb damage, Burn and Poison, and a lot of other stuff. I chose Psyshock over Psychic for Blissey and Eviolite Chansey, as they can wall this set completely. Focus Blast destroys Tyranitar and threatens even Ferrothorn, while Shadow Ball is here for good measure.

Darmani (Donphan) (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

My little oddball in this team. With Trick Room set up, Donphan can wreak havoc if allowed to. Stealth Rock really helps nab those difficult KO's later in the fight. If the opponent's lead threatens Slowbro, I switch to Donphan if they can't do much to him, then set up Rocks and sweep. Ice Shard gets me a lot of surprise KOs on Dragons, Flying-Types, and a few other buggers. Donphan is also my Sun Team counter, as Earthquake will annihilate Ninetales.

Madmartigan (Dragonite) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower

My mixed sweeper/wallbreaker. Very useful for this team on many occasions. Many opponents expect a switch after Draco Meteor, then get smacked by a Superpower to the face! Fire Blast destroys Ferrothorn and other Steel-Types, as well as some others (usually before Draco Meteor). Extremespeed allows for powerful revenge killing and surprise kills outside of Trick Room.

King Stache (Jellicent) (M) @ Water Gem
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Recover

Finally, the King of the Mustache. My final TR setter, and my Special Wall. Jellicent can take numerous Special hits, and with Recover and precisely timed switch-ins to a Water attack (say, from Donphan), Jellicent doesn't go down easy. Scald and Shadow Ball allow for STAB. I chose Scald over Hydro Pump or Surf for the chance to Burn troublesome Physical opponents, and the Water Gem helps make up for the power loss. Also a nice "counter" for Rain teams, as long as I get him out of there before Politoed tries to Toxistall me.

So, that's my team! As I said, I've been out of the scene for a while, so I'm not sure if I have any glaring weaknesses that I was lucky enough to avoid during "testing." So I appreciate any help you guys can give me! I'm fairly lenient on changing things up on this one, and I'll try to test advice before making the change official, since as we know: Not every Trainer plays the same way~

So I look forward to what you all have to say! Thank you in advance! I really appreciate it. :3

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey man, cool team.

Trick Room is a very interesting concept and it is a very offensive playstyle if you ask me, so props for using it. I really like the use of underrated threats such as Mixed Dragonite, which is really cool. However, there are some flaws that this team has, and hopefully my rate can help iron out those flaws and help this team reach its full potential. With that said, let's get to the rate. Alright, first up, I think Slowbro is not the one to be using Max Special Attack, so I'm going to suggest running Nasty Plot Slowking. Nasty Plot Slowking is an excellent sweeper, as it only needs 2 moves to start destroying the metagame, (Trick Room and Nasty Plot give you 2 coverage moves). Moving forward, I would like to advocate the use of a Choice Specs Jellicent over your current Jellicent set. Choice Specs Jellicent is an excellent Pokemon, he can absolutely destroy the entire metagame if Trick Room is up. The con is you lose a Trick Room Setter, but in exchange, you get a big power boost, which I think is a good trade-off. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped just a little bit. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Slowking @ Life Orb Lv. 100 -- Regenerator

Nature: Quiet - EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd

- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Surf

Jellicent @ Choice Specs Lv. 100 -- Water Absorb

Nature: Quiet - EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd

- Shadow Ball
- Water Spout
- Energy Ball
- Scald

• Slowbro
    ---------------------> Nasty Plot Slowking
  • Jellicent
    : Current Set -> Choice Specs​

~Dr Ciel~ (The doctor is OUT)

Cool, thanks for the tips and advice! I'll try them out and let you know!

I'm eager to try out the new Jellicent, especially since Energy Ball would have let me destroy a Gastrodon West that completely walled it last night. ^^;;

As for Slowking, I'm a little iffy about that one. You see, between Reuniclus and Jellicent (and Dragonite, I suppose), I have some Trick Room Special sweepers. Slowbro is not meant to be one of those. He is meant to be a Physical Wall and a Trick Room Setter. The 248 in Sp.Atk allows for him to OHKO most Ferrothorn, which is why I have that stat investment.

Regardless, I will try both out, together and in different combinations, and see how they play out. Thank you! :3

Small update:

I am current doing some more testing with it. I've only been able to do a couple more battles with the new Jellicent due to school and work being really busy this last week, but it's going well! So far, the only team that really massacred me was a team with a Shedinja. :\ Oh well... At first Choice Specs Jellicent wasn't bringing much to the team, but it wasn't taking much either. It's been a reliable counter to Waters, giving me something actually hit them super-effectively with now (Energy Ball)! I still harbor some iffy feelings towards Choice Specs since I hate being locked into moves, but this isn't too bad.

As for Slowking, I haven't tested him yet and am a little hesitant to. Like I said before, Slowbro isn't meant to be a sweeper and only has the EV spread he does so as to OHKO most Ferrothorns that try to abuse his stats, while being a nice physical wall. Yawn also helps stop some Pokemon from setting up or staying in long, allowing for Trick Room to set up VERY easily at times (as long as they don't bring in an Electric-Type, which Donphan promptly scares away anyway).

If you have any extra notes or other changes I should make, let me know. As for now, this team is doing surprisingly well!

Edit: Did I say "small" update...? Sheesh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)