Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

I got the shiny charm a few days ago, so I would like to help out.
I just found a 5 IV shiny Hawlucha on egg 122 of 125 :D Sadly it did not have sp. def

I updated the spreadsheet with the details.

Hi guys,
I'd like to contribute my findings on here. I got the shiny charm a few weeks back and have been breeding poochyena's. I'm doing batches of 330 due to having 11 boxes empty. Batch 1 and 2 both had 2 mightyena's. Male was german.

Batch 1 - no shiny
Batch 2 - 2 shinies. This 1 had an extra egg and the extra egg just so happened to be shiny :)
Batch 3 - in Progress

661 eggs hatched so far.
Eggs #381 and #661 were both Shiny

P.s. Batch 3 I changed up Pokes. Finally got a JPN 6iv Ditto and am breeding it with a Poochy I bred with egg moves and HA
Just Figured out how to Update the spreadsheet lol so I updated it for my post #721

Update on batch #2 (Noibats GerXEng)
1 Shiny so far (box 8 eggs 211-240)
Will update doc once all 300 eggs are hatched.

What about that Kalos thing ? My ditto ain't from Kalos, would be pissed to lower my odds.
I can't say anything about that, but I hatched 1300 eggs using Jpn Shiny/Jolly Ditto and it yielded nothing. I did 1000 with Koffing (before I had the shiny charm) with no shiny... I got a friend who has done 1300 too with the same ditto and a shiny charm who got nothing...

But I have heard of people having better luck too.

Nearing 1600 eggs with no shiny, I would honestly like to see some testing with specifically non kalos parents, because it looks like there's a trend of bad luck for people who use 6 IV dittos.

I know my maths and how odds work, but....

Over 300 trys with 6IV non kalos ditto : nothing.

5 eggs with aegislash ENG + FRE = shiny.

I think from now on I'll stick with Kalos 'mons instead of 6IV ditto...

Updating Post 672# and 711#

Another batch of 300 eggs = no shiny
Total: 900 eggs = no shiny

I'm going to switch the 6 IV Ditto non Kalos, with a English 6 IV Rhyhorn Kalos Bred and replaced the old 5 iv Bulbasaur with another Italian 6 IV female Bulbasaur I hatched.

Edit: Could someone kindly update the spreadsheet with my data? I don't want to make a mess.
Updating posts: 672#, 711# and 729#

Just finished another batch of 300 eggs = no shiny

Total 1200 eggs = no shiny

For future reference, I used a 6 iv non kalos ditto until almost the end of third batch (Around 800 eggs) and I'm now using a 6 IV Rhyhorn kalos born and a female Bulbasaur Kalos Born from different countries.

So I was thinking, could it be possible that Ditto itself just doesnt work with MM/Charm? I would probably have to sift through tons of posts to find people that used "Banked" non-Ditto parents and see their results. But yeah its just a thought- perhaps Ditto is the issue(like how Ditto cannot pass on Pokeball types), not the Banked mons.

So I was thinking, could it be possible that Ditto itself just doesnt work with MM/Charm? I would probably have to sift through tons of posts to find people that used "Banked" non-Ditto parents and see their results. But yeah its just a thought- perhaps Ditto is the issue(like how Ditto cannot pass on Pokeball types), not the Banked mons.
Definitely not, each of my shinies have been from Japanese Dittos in the past and so have many, many others'.

Are you referring to the current generation or all generations? (i.e. are you saying non kalos dittos wield masuda method shinies at the same rate)
I have Kalos Japanese Dittos that have yielded shinies at expected speeds, have yet to get a shiny with charm + non-Kalos.

I just checked with the guy who gave me my Ditto(Non Kalos) as well as a few friends of mine that have 6iv non Kalos Dittos and apparently it yielded shinys as often as their Kalos Dittos did. It might mean that we've just been having a long run of really bad luck. Also edited post #746

So I switched from my Ditto to a 6iv Kalos-bred Aipom and got a shiny within the next 100 (39 to be exact) eggs. Guess it doesn't really conclude anything, but it was at least good luck on my part.

Last edited:
I made a new thread similar to this one testing pokebank parents and Masuda method. If you don't have a shiny charm, I would appreciate it if you would check it out. Thanks!

Well I'm 100 eggs in and I hatched a shiny Squirtle around egg 70 or so. I used a JPN 6IV Non-Kalos Ditto if anyone's keeping track. (this is only my second MM shiny ever and I'm shocked how quickly it happened. My Mawile took around 350.)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For those of you spreading rumors of non-Kalos parents affecting the odds, I am breeding two Talonflame and at 350 eggs with no shiny. Yeah, not that many eggs but with my bad luck it seems like a baseless rumor.

Hello guys.
I just wanna say that I dont believe your odds. I hatched like 2300 eggs (1000 without shiny charm) and got one shiny I couldn't use because it sucked.
I'm breeding with a 6 iv JAP Ditto and a 5 iv GER Marill (have a german version). Am I that unlucky or what? This is really frustating.... ._.

For those of you spreading rumors of non-Kalos parents affecting the odds, I am breeding two Talonflame and at 350 eggs with no shiny. Yeah, not that many eggs but with my bad luck it seems like a baseless rumor.
Possibly. I, on the other hand, don't think I'm going to risk it again until its confirmed either way.

(Also, 350 is like... nothing... I wouldn't say you're having bad luck until you pass 1000 )

Possibly. I, on the other hand, don't think I'm going to risk it again until its confirmed either way.

(Also, 350 is like... nothing... I wouldn't say you're having bad luck until you pass 1000 )
This is worth a try, I'll do it with HP ground yanma which will be my next project after I get my anorith haha ;)

Sigh things keep coming up and slowing my egg hatching I prob wont be able to make too many eggs until after the 15th

Currently making 200 more (100 per batch)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

People should stop spreading bad rumors unless we completely eschew the existing spreadsheet and differentiate between Kalos-bred and non-Kalos parents. If people aren't prepared to do that then you should stop with the rumors and superstition. Isn't gathering empirical data the point of this thread? That's why I'm quite irritated that people are making claims with no real evidence to back it up, which runs completely contrary to the purpose of this thread.

I acknowledged that, but my anecdotal bias means nothing on its own regardless of when (or if) I hatch my shiny.

People should stop spreading bad rumors unless we completely eschew the existing spreadsheet and differentiate between Kalos-bred and non-Kalos parents. If people aren't prepared to do that then you should stop with the rumors and superstition. Isn't gathering empirical data the point of this thread? That's why I'm quite irritated that people are making claims with no real evidence to back it up, which runs completely contrary to the purpose of this thread.

I acknowledged that, but my anecdotal bias means nothing on its own regardless of when (or if) I hatch my shiny.
I think you should try to calm down a little. Its not really anything to argue about. Those of us who HAVE had bad luck were just noting something that we have in common. Whether or not you believe it is unimportant.

If it doesn't make a difference, then it doesn't make a difference and it won't affect this data, no?

Likewise, because people have pointed this out, another study thread has arisen. If the results from that study are similar to the results from this study, we will know that a non-kalos pokemon does not affect the rate. 0.o

Anyway, you shouldn't get irritated about something so silly. But if you're afraid that it will somehow skew the data, then that is something you SHOULD say and explain, of course. It is not your place, however, to tell people what they can and cannot discuss.

Anyway (and more importantly), my results thus far:
1~100: Nothing
101~200: Nothing
201~300: Nothing
301~400: Nothing
401~500: Nothing
501~600: Nothing
601~700: Nothing
701~800: Nothing
801~900: Nothing
901~1000: Nothing
1001~1100: Nothing
1101~1200: Nothing
1201~1300: Nothing
1301~1400: Nothing
1401~1500: Nothing
1501~1600: 1 Shiny

Parents were 6Iv Eevee and 6iv jpn Ditto until the 1500th egg. After this I switched out Ditto for a 6iv Italian Ambipom.

I'm going to take a break for a bit though and will hatch more eggs in the future.

Last edited:
My point wasn't to "spread false rumour", which ultimately is pointless as only official statement from pokemon team or a sufficient amount of data will prove itself to be reliable, but was just a concern of mine in order to maximise the odds.
Even tho we can't prove yet that a non-Kalos parent may affect the odds, it is safe to assume that breeding with both parents from Kalos doesn't hinder those odds. Call it peace of mind, but I'd rather go with both Kalos parents and have shitty rates than 6IV ditto non-kalos.

Anyway, since I'm all set, I will now begin hatching and contribute to the thread.

MM kalos x kalos works better for me bcuz before shiny charm i got 6 shinies around 2k+ eggs <i didn't count>
while shiny charm + MM ditto x kalos i got 5 shinies currently @3790 eggs
I guess i was luckier before the shiny charm

I finally just got my shiny charm. Can't wait to start breeding again. That spreed sheet seems to pretty clearly point to the shiny charm actually effecting shiny rates. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for the info in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)