Should Ubers become an official metagame?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Decided to post this for Alan, agree with most he's saying too.

Alan said:
I saw this thread and the first question I had was, "why can't Ubers be both?" It is currently both, and its been going well! Tbh I agree with what I assume is Theorymon's stance on this, "why should anything be banned from Ubers?" To ban anything, aside from the standard clauses from Ubers is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned, which I know doesn't count for much. Its long been heralded as a metagame free from "interference" from the world of "Pokepolitics" where users and pokemon alike are able to participate in the most "open and free" environment available; more or less, StreetPKMN lite. To interfere with this takes away the "essence" of the Ubers metagame. While I don't particularly enjoy Ubers in any way shape or form, I like what it symbolizes. Its fun to once in a while play with pokemon that 2HKO the universe.

Yeah yeah, Arceus is strong. Well, "no shit" is what I say to anyone who points that out. Its GameFreak's "PokeDiety" and has 120 stats across the board, if it suprises you it can easily wreck teams once it sets up, quite honestly it shouldn't.

I don't see why it wouldn't be considered a metagame since its recognized in Smogon Tour and has other tournaments for it. Its as much of a tier as UU is. It has a relatively large player base, likely the third largest behind OU and UU. It has a diverse variety of pokemon which are viable in it and requires strategy and team building knowledge to be successful in. Not sure about you guys, but that sounds like a metagame to me!

*The opinions in this post are mine and mine alone and are not in anyway reflected by the user who posted them for me.*

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The reason OU is the standard metagame is because it has the most variety and balance, both of which ubers has less of. The number of viable pokemon in OU (in Gen 4, and I see no indication that'll change in Gen 5) far outweighs that number in ubers, and the ability to ban pokemon from OU (which is a trait ubers currently doesn't have) allows us to balance the metagame if something is overpowered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)