SM OU Show Me Your Ice Resists (1500+ ELO)

WINTER IS HERE, AND IT'S TIME TO PLAY IN THE SNOW!!

Ok everybody, we all know how overpowered weather can be in Pokemon. Rain teams have been extremely popular in ORAS, and I'm sure everybody is familiar with the Tapu Koko rain teams flooding the SUMO OU ladder. Tyranitar and Excadrill continue to be major threats, although everybody and their mom is running defensive Landorus-T, so most people are familiar with how to go about checking this common weather duo. With the new sun and moon metagame, I wanted to try out a hail team, because it seemed like it would be extremely fun and pretty bad, and if you are anything like me you love using crappy teams if they are fun enough to use. People also seem to not have very good ice resistances on the ladder, relying on steel types and bulky water types to soak up powerful ice type attacks. These pokemon are typically handled by mega Charizard-Y, with fire and grass coverage. While I made this team as a complete joke, thinking it would work about as well as a mono-eeveelution team, I was astonished at how effective it is in practice.

EVERY WEATHER TEAM NEEDS A WEATHER SETTER:

Sexy Ice (Ninetales-Alola) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Moonblast
- Blizzard
- Aurora Veil

Ninetales-Alola isn't very good on its own, in my opinion, however it offers excellent support to the team. Hypnosis is the most interesting thing about this set, and it is generally unreliable and a bad move to use in general. However, I thought that dual stab + aurora veil was really all this set needed, and struggled to fill the last moveslot. Hidden Powers such as HP ground for heatran and marowak, or HP fire for scizor and ferrothorn, are generally ineffective in my opinion, because they are quite weak compared to ninetales' STAB moves, and I think ninetales is valuable to the team as a weather setterand generally should not be staying in when heavily threatened. Hypnosis should only be used to hit pokemon on a predicted switch, or when Ninetales is not threatened and a free turn can be used to safely bring in Sandslash. Aurora Veil is an excellent move, as it makes up for the teams general lack of bulk, and allows for safer switches. The HP EV's allow ninetales to take three seismic tosses from chansey, should you be faced with a stall matchup. Blizzard hits surprisingly hard even against neutral and resisted targets, and makes up for ninetales' relatively mediocre special attack. Icy Rock is used because it's damn cold outside, and we want to keep it that way.

STEALTH ROCKS SHOULD ALWAYS BE GUARANTEED:

Fat Ice (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Mamoswine is an absolutely amazing pokemon to use, and if you have never used one before I would highly suggest it. While it's speed isn't great, its' STAB combination is fairly difficult for most teams to handle, and it can pick off many faster pokemon from a respectable amount of HP with ice shard. Oblivious is chosen over thick fat, because against teams that rely on taunt leads such as azelf, it is nice to be guaranteed stealth rocks. It also prevents encore from pokemon such as shuckle, which preserves momentum early game. Adamant nature is chosen to maximize damage output from ice shard, KO'ing garchomp after Stealth Rock damage. Focus Sash is used to allow mamoswine to act as an emergency check to sweepers such as Mega Sharpedo and Mega Charizard X, and get stealth rocks up in crucial matchups. It also eases the need for prediction early game, as even if mamoswine is threatened it can at least get its KO or rocks.

EVERY FREEZER NEEDS A HEAT SINK:

Icy Hot (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Charizard acts as the glue of the team, and prevents it from being 6-0'd by Scizor. No team can really function without some diversity, even in the monotype metagame. The Set is extremely self explanatory, with max speed to make sure that non-scarf Genesect and tapu lele can't get cheeky with us. If your name isn't chansey, toxapex, or mantine, then you really arent getting a free switch into Charizard. Many people say that Charizard is best paired with pursuit trapping (in order to catch latios and chansey). I would like to think that latios already has enough problems to worry about on this team, and any competent stall player should be able to work around mono ice + charizard (however this is not always the case, as many stall players seem to be completely incompetent). So we don't have pursuit on this team. That being said, Charizard helps break down bulky and balanced teams, and should usually be able to get at least one KO even versus hyper offensive teams.

EVERYBODY HAS A FAVORITE POKEMON

Fast Ice (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
I love Weavile. It's good for so many reasons. Primarily, people seem to have pretty crappy dark resists. Throughout ORAS I would use Weavile on most of my teams and people would switch Keldeo into Weavile, taking 30% and losing their choice specs. The same can be said this generation, as none of the Tapus really want to lose their item, and I would love to knock Celesteela's leftovers off any day. Unfortunately, the rise of Scarf Tapu lele and Tapu Koko make weavile's job slightly harder to perform, but it really doesnt matter. Weavile is best used mid-to-late game on this team after all of the bulky physical mons have taken considerable damage, and faster pokemon are in range of ice shard. Low Kick is used to kill off Tyranitar, and nearly kill Magnezone, which otherwise threaten the team. Posion jab is a very viable alternative to 2HKO most variants of Tapu Fini, which could otherwise give this team trouble as one of the best bulky water types currently in the tier.

EVERY WEATHER TEAM NEEDS A THREAT

Spiky Ice (Sandslash-Alola) @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Sandslash can seriously threaten a large portion of the metagame with this set, with the main issue being the lack of a way to boost its' attack stat. There should never be a game where sandslash does absolutely nothing, as at a minimum it will remove hazards for Charizard. Sandslash has decent physical bulk, but obviously we aren't here to take hits; Sandslash is a huge threat due to slush rush. You can hit every single Mega Evolution, Ultra Beast, and Tapu for neutral or supereffective damage, so when hail goes up somebody on the opposing team is most likely dying to Sandslash. Sandslash works best as a mid-game breaker, although it should be saved for late-game situations where the speed is necessary.

WHEN ONE THREAT ISN'T ENOUGH, ADD ANOTHER

Scary Ice (Beartic) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 Atk / 84 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash

Beartic isn't really that bulky, but with an assault vest it can take hits fairly well, letting it come in on threats such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko and Mega Alakazam. The given EV Spread gives Beatric a 50% chance to OHKO max HP 0 Def Heatran with superpower after rocks, which is pretty good for freeing up Charizard to spam fire blast and preventing the opponent from burning through this icy squad. Play Rough is used to hit Sableye, and Stone Edge is really only for Volcanion, although it can also hit Mega Charizard X for good damage. Beartic is an excellent early game offensive pivot for the team, usually sacrificing itself to get off good damage versus one of the opposing team's ice resists, paving way for Weavile and Sandslash to wreak havoc.

Conclusion:

Nobody is prepared for a well-played hail team right now, and it functions similarly to how a rain team functions; the continuous offensive pressure of ice type attacks can overwhelm the opponent's resistance to these moves, leaving the player with the ability to spam these attacks late game for more KO's. It is also extremely helpful that common checks to water cores (bulky dragon and grass types) as well as sand cores (landorus, bulky ground mons) are largely inneffective at dealing with Ice Spam.

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/ZRryC9Fe

I might upload some replays if people want to see them. Honestly you should just try the team out its really fun to use.

Sup, nice hail team u got there, with the new sun&moon buffs and alolan forms, hail teams may see a comeback and it's awesome to see people using these types of hail teams as hail was viewed as the worst weather condition competitively by many in XY/ORAS OU. Anyways, let me get on to some improvements you could do to the team.

Thick Fat>Oblivious on Mamoswine

With Thick Fat covering Mamoswine's fire weakness and giving it a resistance to Ice, Mamoswine suddenly becomes able to switch into more things such as Heatran, and when Heatran is out of the picture Zard Y can spam Fire Blast. Oblivious is alright in some situations, but there aren't many good confusers in this metagame and there is the alleged confusion nerf which looks like it is true, ultimately making Thick Fat the ability of choice.

Minor changes in Beartic's EV spread

So when looking at your Beartic spread I found that 252 speed EVs were unnecessary seeing as with adamant nature you couldn't outspeed neutral-natured base 150s (Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam) under hail. However you still outspeed neutral-natured base 145s (Mega Beedrill, Mega Sceptile, Accelgor) under hail, all of which Beartic fares well against. However, with 236 Speed EVs instead of 252, Beartic still outspeeds these neutral-natured 145 base speed pokemon under hail and has room to invest more EVs into attack or bulk. Without further adue, here is the new set:
EVs: 192 Atk / 80 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, and peace out :P

Sup, nice hail team u got there, with the new sun&moon buffs and alolan forms, hail teams may see a comeback and it's awesome to see people using these types of hail teams as hail was viewed as the worst weather condition competitively by many in XY/ORAS OU. Anyways, let me get on to some improvements you could do to the team.

Thick Fat>Oblivious on Mamoswine

With Thick Fat covering Mamoswine's fire weakness and giving it a resistance to Ice, Mamoswine suddenly becomes able to switch into more things such as Heatran, and when Heatran is out of the picture Zard Y can spam Fire Blast. Oblivious is alright in some situations, but there aren't many good confusers in this metagame and there is the alleged confusion nerf which looks like it is true, ultimately making Thick Fat the ability of choice.

Minor changes in Beartic's EV spread

So when looking at your Beartic spread I found that 252 speed EVs were unnecessary seeing as with adamant nature you couldn't outspeed neutral-natured base 150s (Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam) under hail. However you still outspeed neutral-natured base 145s (Mega Beedrill, Mega Sceptile, Accelgor) under hail, all of which Beartic fares well against. However, with 236 Speed EVs instead of 252, Beartic still outspeeds these neutral-natured 145 base speed pokemon under hail and has room to invest more EVs into attack or bulk. Without further adue, here is the new set:
EVs: 192 Atk / 80 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, and peace out :P
pretty sure oblivious prevents taunts and stuff, not confusion. also, mamo hard into heatran is risky regardless of thick fat; what scares mamo most is the the threat of lava plume burn. generally thick fat is superior but oblivious has its uses, especially on a team which utilizes mamo as a suicide lead on occasion.

Thanks for the comments guys! I was originally going to use thick fat originally, because i do agree that it is generally superior ability, however i wanted to pressure teams that rely on lead azelf, such as the birdspam team ( http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xtra-chirp.3579051/ ) seen so often last generation. I have changed the EV spread on beartic by the way, thanks for calcing the benchmarks it hit!

Hey, very nice team. I have a very similar hail team that I have been using to pretty good success.

The first thing I would suggest is adding freeze dry on ninetales, which helps you deel with mons like Toxapex and slowbro. Hypnosis can be clutch, but it isn't worth it in my opinion because of its accuracy.

I would also change rapid spin to swords dance on sandslash. This gives sandslash incredible wallbreaking potential under hail, outspeeding every non-scarfed pokemon under hail (I think...?). Combined with aurora veil and it's very good defense, sandslash is not getting KO'd by anything other than a super effective fire/ground/fighting move, as well as it being able to hit almost everything in the meta for at least neutral damage.

The one thing you lack is a true defensive pokemon, as well as reliable hazard removal. I suggest that instead of beartic (you already have enough physical moves and a slush rush sweeper; or weavile if you would rather have beartic) you add TAPU FINI

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald/Surf
- Defog
- Toxic/Haze/Moonblast/Protect
- Toxic/Haze/Moonblast/Protect

Tapu Fini resists fighting, rock, and fire, all of witch your team struggles with. It is very specially bulky, and with max defensive investment, it can take hits from both sides and provide defog support. Also, because of misty terrain, it cannot be statused. The last two moves are really based on preference.

Finally, I would remove charizard Y. If you want to keep it, it's your call, but it really isn't all that good with all the Pelippers, alolan marowaks, and fast electrics around. It also can conflict with hail if ninetails is down and you still want your speed for sandslash. I would instead either use CELESTEELA (standard leech seed/protect/heavy slam/flamethrower) if you want a more defensive mon, or TAPU LELE (specs or scarf) if you want more speed and raw power. Both of them give you answers to fighting types as well as offensive presence. Also, once mamoswine is gone, xurkitree or tapu koko really give your team a hard time. You can add a spdef alolan marowak instead of the above two choices if you want to be able to counter those better.

Just my two cents that you can ignore if you so choose. Very solid team; I have a similar one with a toxapex/mandibuzz core with a choice band tapu bulu. These are just mons that I think add more to your team.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies everybody!

Hira - You are totally right that Scarf Nihilego is a big problem for my team. I haven't used this team much in the past week or so, but I imagine that it would be extremely difficult to win that matchup. The only real solution I could see is killing it with AV beartic. As for why I chose to use another weather, the team doesnt really function with only hail, considering pokemon such as metagross are a huge issue with mono-ice. I had considered other specially offensive megas such as M-Alakazam (for the pressure it provides against offensive teams) as well as M-Blastoise (which is a good steel resist, and has good synergy with the rest of the team destroying Grass-types), but ultimately felt that M-Charizard Y was the best pokemon to fit the bill, since it had reliable recovery, good special bulk to soak up hits from heatran and other fire-types, as well as the fact that it lures in pokemon such as latios and toxapex which are dealt with by the ice and ground type attacks already on the team.

TheCrookedGatr - I'm not sure I would be willing to drop Charizard for the team, as the presence of a special wallbreaker is very central to the success of the team as a whole. Your suggestion of Tapu Fini to defog away hazards is a great idea, and I would agree that beartic would probably be the mon to swap out, since nothing on the team really wants to take a strong physical attack and beartic is generally lackluster outside of hail.

Enjoy the holidays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)