SM OU shrimp bird- Mega Gyarados + Hawlucha Offense

What's good Smogon, so here I have a team featuring one of the most underrated sweepers in OU: Mega Gyarados. This team has been pretty good so far in the battles that I've done (I'm battling on a new account). My ELO is low at 1351 for that account, but the GXE is alright at 70.5% . So feel free to try this squad out for yourselves, and let me know if there are any more mistakes or weaknesses on this team that I need to fix.

TEAM:
530MS.png
|
130MMS.png
|
786MS.png
|
701MS.png
|
465MS.png
|
642TMS.png

Excadrill_XY.gif

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

So every competitive team needs a rock setter, and for me the best Stealth Rock setter in the game is Excadrill, because of Mold Breaker+Focus Sash which allows it to get up rocks no matter what. I'm actually running Rock Tomb over Toxic, because most people assume EQ is its only attacking move so they switch in to a flying type like zap or torn only to take good damage and have their speed dropped. Rapid Spin is to get rid of hazards set up by other common leads such as shuckle or ribombee, who drill can beat thanks to rock tomb. Finally Earthquake is there for consistent STAB damage and is a move mandatory on most rock types.

Gyarados-Mega-Shiny_XY.gif

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Sky-high attack and access to one of the best boosting moves in Dragon Dance make this giant shrimp an amazing sweeper. And unlike other sweepers like Mega Charizard X or Mega Pinsir, It also has amazing base 130 SpD allowing it to take specials hits while setting up, and Intimidate before Mega Evolution allows it to take physical hits well. In fact, I originally used Flyinium Z Gyarados in this spot, but the bulk of Mega Gyarados makes it slightly better than the power of Flyinium Z Gyarados, in my opinion. Waterfall and Crunch are powerful STAB moves for Mega Gyarados, and finally I chose to run Earthquake over Ice Fang because Earthquake allows me to beat electric types like Tapu Koko and even Rotom Wash (Mega Gyarados has mold breaker), who my team otherwise doesnt beat easily.

Tapu_Lele_SM.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Lele has a spot since Psychic Surge is an amazing ability because it protects Mega Gyarados from being revenge killed by priority such as Breloom's Mach Punch. It also pops the Psychic seed on Hawlucha, giving it +1 Spe and +1 SpD, and it boosts the power of psychic to absurd levels. I'm using choice scarf over something like Fightinium Z because I needed some sort of speed control on my team to revenge kill. Moonblast acts as a secondary STAB move to shred dark or dragon types. HP Fire is to hit annoying steels like Mega Scizor or Ferrothorn, and Shadow Ball is to beat Mega Alakazam and non-scarf Blacephalon.

Hawlucha-Shiny_XY.gif

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge

(That shiny is so clean). The best partner to one of the Tapus is probably Hawlucha. This mon is another powerful sweeper next to Mega Gyarados thanks to Unburden +Psychic Speed, giving it +1 Spe and +1 SpD as soon as it comes in on psychic terrain. Then set up a swords dance to get up to +2, and proceed to clean up your opponent's pokemon. Acrobatics at +2 destroys anything that does not resist flying, and is probably the most spammable move on this set. And types that do resist flying like the dominant steel types get smashed by HJK. Finally Stone Edge is to hit Zapdos, who gets OHKO'ed by a +2 Stone Edge after Stealth Rock damage. If I had roost, Zapdos would wall the set.

Tangrowth-M-Shiny_XY.gif

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Tangrowth role is to be a pokemon I can throw in to sponge hits, while also being able to hit back because of its decent 100/110 attacking stats. I usually just use this mon to take a hit from pokemon that my other pokemon dont want to switch into, like Magearna or Ferrothorn or Ash-Greninja. Hidden Power Fire is to let Tangrowth beat Ferrothorn, and it also OHKOes Kartana. Earthquake helps it hit Heatran (who is everywhere) with 400 power, as well as hit steels like Mega Mawile and electric types like Zeraora or Tapu Koko. Knock Off is for utility and Giga Drain helps Tangrowth recover some HP. It is also a decent STAB move.

Thundurus-Therian_XY.gif

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Thundurus-T is one of the most underrated pokemon in the meta. Base 145 SpA plus access to Nasty Plot makes this mon one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the game. It also has base 101 Spe, just enough to outspeed common OU threats such as Mega Medicham, Mega Charizard Y, and Manaphy. Its main role is to deal with pokemon like Celesteela, Skarmory, Landorus-Therian, and Zapdos, who it can use as setup fodder since Zapdos's Discharge does not damage. Thunderbolt is its main STAB choice, which powered up with Electrium Z allows it to nuke anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ice allows it to beat Landorus-Therian, and finally Sludge wave is to hit fairies, especially AV Bulu who usually does not expect a Sludge Wave.

BAD MATCHUPS:

Volcarona_XY.gif

If Gyarados hasn't mega evolved yet, then Volc isn't an issue. But if Volcarona sets up a QD after Gyarados has mega evolved, Im pretty screwed cause it can one-shot most of my team.

Hawlucha_XY.gif

Hawlucha helps me just as much as it screws me over. If an opponent's Hawlucha comes in on a pokemon like my Tangrowth and sets up an SD, my only hope is either my Hawlucha wins the speed tie or I send in Thundurus-Therian and pray my opponent didn't put Stone Edge on it.

That's it folks. Thanks so much for reading, and once again let me know any suggestions/changes.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)