XY Ubers shuckle kyogre genesect landorus-t gengar arceus-fairy

i figured i wouldn't write another rmt for quite some time after my last ou post since i find them tedious to write; however, given the fact that i am the person who has pushed the current ubers suspect through and have recently grown very active in the tier once again, i felt obligated to post a squad that i found to be ridiculously effective in the current metagame which abused the pokemon which is currently suspected in gengar. a lot of the other top ubers players have claimed that gengar isn't as lethal as gothitelle due to the fact that the former has to rely on mega evolving a turn prior. i believe this team makes full use of gengar's ability to trap, despite having to mega evolve. not like it matters, but this team did peak #1 on the suspect ladder with ease. this is going to be short, sweet, and to the point.

sticky web has the stigma of being a relatively hit or miss playstyle. however, i believe this thought emanated through poor usage of team slots. again and again i notice that sticky web teams forgo offensive synergy for defensive soundness which simply undermines the whole purpose of using sticky web. tossing on arbitrary defensive arceus formes which are more or less do-nothing pokemon barring the "kyogre check" or whatever else it supposedly fills is not the way to go. instead, focusing on resistances is vital to the team's success. as you will notice, i don't have a true kyogre counter. however, resistances mitigate this supposed weakness without bastardizing the build due to the fact that shuckle can lay sticky web. the speed factor eliminates true checking and countering necessary and instead relies on a game of strength. sticky web is just a very dangerous move. it can completely shut down hyper offensive teams while more stall based builds have trouble against my powerful sweepers.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Encore

in my opinion, this is the only good shuckle set and the only good sticky web user. smeargle sucks and you should stop using it. this shuckle cannot be beaten by anything barring arbitrary magic coat users which i am always cautious of. against a deoxys-s lead i tended to encore turn 1. if they used magic coat, the encore failed as it was rebounded my way. if they used taunt or stealth rock, i can act accordingly by switching or setting up sticky web. encore can just annoy so many teams even when expected and is a necessary move to prevent shuckle from being set up bait. rock tomb lowers the speed of deo-s leads and can lead to a gengar trap and can tickle ho-oh which is definitely important. toxic goes aong with encore in the sense that set up is always prevented. toxic seems to be pretty unseen on shuckle, so i oftentimes toxic'd an important pokemon like hippowdon which was a gamechanger down the road. keep in mind that shuckle can live any hit, even water spout with sturdy, so, with mental herb to block taunt, sticky web is practically guaranteed. max spdef is what i run to take on yveltal / xerneas who often lead and attack shuckle and it lets me tank their attackers much better.

please notice that my shuckle doesn't run stealth rock. shuckle should never run stealth rock. it does not have the space for it and you are making all your games more matchup related if you have it which adds to the "hit or miss" stigma. just run a separate stealth rock user-- it's not hard and will benefit you more in the end.

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

kyogre provides a lot of necessary traits to this team and is definitely the mvp if i were to name an individual pokemon for the job. kyogre is the sole water resist; this seems shaky at first, but opposing kyogre aren't a big deal: i just need my own in case i face a defensive ogre for a switch in. kyogre also outspeeds and overpowers all cm arceus, so a pokemon like yveltal or darkrai isn't needed. kyogre helps against the ho-oh switch which is always pesky, especially to sticky web teams due to the fact it is immune to said hazard and can just spam stab attacks. lastly, kyogre provides one of my main stallbreakers as nothing on stall (or offense) wants to tak a specs water spout to the face. the set and ev's are standard. kyogre is part one of two of the most dangerous core on this team, the second part of it would be genesect. i'll discuss how it works. next generally though, kyogre is just used to spam a powerful move against all teams and checks a few important pokemon by virtue of typing which this team loves.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

i bet you haven't seen this guy since bw ubers that much (or if you have the team was probably bad). genesect has an interesting niche on sticky web of checking geo xerneas with iron head due to the speed reduction while providing a scarfer. a scarfed pokemon seems rather unnecessary at first because i could just use band scizor or something, but genesect can lead against annoying pokemon like darkrai which could sleep shuckle otherwise and prevent sticky web giving my team many more options. genesect lures in pokemon like ho-oh and landorus-t on its u-turn which in return allow specs kyogre to come in and demolish which makes the core so lethal. the moveset and ev's are standard. i prefer explosion as my last move in case i need to suicide switch if i can't afford to switch in and it's a great move for that. it also does a nice chunk of change to any non ghost/steel type which is greately appreciated. max attack and iron head is needed to actually check geo xern, and ice beam is here for pokemon like landorus-t, rayquaza, and gliscor.

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

landorus-t is the almost necessary ground-type and stealth rocker which can check so much in the metagame. groudon, lucario, ekiller, tyranitar, etc-- landorus-t can pivot against almost every physical pokemon in the metagame and do big damage with an earth plate set. i like the earth plate set as defensive feels far too eweak, especially on this team, and i just wanted power and the typing. it is my stealth rock setter, as i said, as it is terrible on shuckle. the ev's allow me to outspeed modest scarf kyogre and nail it with an earthquake if need be. stone edge hits yveltal / ho-oh / rayquaza and co. and u-turn is for momentum. u-turn can tandem off with genesect for a nice u-turn combo, and u-turn is also nice when i'm against a weakened mewtwo and i can u-turn instead of earthquake for momentum instead of losing it when they choose their switch. landorus-t is pretty simply though and fits like a charm.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

the big kahuna which has stirred up a lot of fuss in ubers: gengar himself. as you may have noticed, my gengar is slightly specialized but it does what it needs to do so well on this team. thunder gengar is huge: it does a good chunk to kyogre which could switch with impunity onto any other move otherwise and force me to destiny bond which could leave open room for shuckle to be defogged on. thunder also hits yveltal, ho-oh, lugia, etc. and is quite an underrated and clutch move. it works even better as i have a kyogre so it lets me actually hit once in a while if rain is up which is always a positive. i'm just a fan of taunt + bond on gengar as it lets me suicide against any pokemon and haunt stall with taunt. i suppose taunt is the most replacable move, but i'd keep it. poison stab is standard instead of shadow ball as the latter hits nothing important which the former hits stuff like xerneas for SE and hits neutral to most others. gengar's role is to act as a secondary check to pretty much everything like ekiller while trapping bulky arceus which could defog on shuckle. its typing and speed is crucial for an overall fastmon which can suicide against important pokemon and trap and kill others. its effectiveness is utilized for sure. the ev's let me live a +2 moonblast iirc if it ever comes down to that.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind

it looks like an ekiller, but pretend its fairy. arceus fairy rounds up the team and gives it some much needed resistances like against dragons and dark-types. yveltal in particular was a huge threat otherwise and arceus-fairy negates it. this arceus form is great on sticky web as defog + xerneas is oftentimes a threat is played correctly, however, it can't even set up on my arceus forme because of fairy aura boost my moves and almost ohkoing xerneas after stealth rock at +1. he's crazy strong. besides yveltal though, arceus fairy can act as a nice stop to all pokemon which could cause a problem such as dd groudon and palkia. it provides offensive synergy by having its main counter, ho-oh, lured in by gengar which can allow this dude to sweep, but it also manifests many weaknesses in teams. who really thinks about cm fairy arceus while building? this takes advantage of that: it's ridiculously hard to counter and provides defensive and offensive synergy which makes it the best last slot. i've had arceus electric here before but it checks ekiller / yveltal / xerneas far worse and i don't think that it's th best set for this team.

import:

Code:
Shuckle (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Encore

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
if you want to try out gengar, ubers, sticky web, or a combination of the three, this team, i think, is effective if used properly and has relatively few weaknesses making it consistent and a solid meta choice which is why it performed so well for me.

thanks for reading.

Last edited:
This is well built team, and a well built team rarely has a singular threat that completely walks over it. The combination of sdef Palkia backed up by sdef Pursuit Scizor and a defog Arceus seems pretty troublesome at a glance, even though Gengar Thunder is strong, it won't 2HKO the stall Scizor spread. Every team has its bad match up in this tier so things are as they are but you could try out Explosion Landrous-T with Life Orb if you want to get a huge chunk off support Arceus-formes (56 % chance to KO after SR). Forgoing U-turn is pretty dull as it synergizes well with Kyogre and Gengar but it's something I would try out at least.

Furthermore I absolutely love the Thunder Gengar set, it's one of those sets that I never really got to make a good team with yet so I'm definitely inspired to do so, although I doubt I will be going the webs route. Good luck and all, it was an enjoyable read too.

Last edited:
Hello Dice, fren. Nice team you got there, there isn't much to suggest since your team is really well built so props for that. Something that you can try out though is Hidden Power Fire over Thunder on Gengar. Although Thunder is great for Ho-Oh and all the stuff you mentioned, Hidden Power would help you escape the Taunt/ Defog / Bullet Punch shenanigans that you may have when facing a support Scizor. Scizor can actually come in in a few situations (Arceus-Fairy, locked into Iron Head/Ice Beam Gene, etc..). Another thing you could do (if you don't want to change Gengar's set, which I've used myself and it does really well) is using Flamthrower over Explosion on Genesect. Being able to OHKO incoming Scizor on the switch-in is crucial I feel like and I'm asuming (from my experience) Explosion is barely used. Again, these are just suggestions.

Great team, I feel like the team has no big weakneses if you play the team right, which I asume you do. Good luck :]

I like this team in general, but there are few glaring weaknesses that really bother me. And these weaknesses are unfortunately inherent to the playstyle that you chose to build around. So, I'm going to start with negatives first.

Firstly, the fact that you have to use shuckle is unfortunate. And this basically gives you a 5-6 disadvantage, so you want to ensure that you get the most mileage from webs. More on this later on. However, I agree with your sentiment about shuckle being far better than smeargle completely, so props for that. Due to this disadvantage that you will struggle to re-lay webs after sturdy is broken. Your landorus-t and fairyceus are rather major defog bait. I bolded land-t because it really is just a major defog bait and you have pretty much nothing to stop that. Even specsogre can be defogged vs, although it usually will cost defogger. The reason that I stress the amount of opportunities that opponent can defog against you is because you sacrificed your defensive backbone for offense prowess. And, removing webs pretty much guarantee a geoxern sweep, which sets up on land-t and fairyceus (almost ohkoing is not good enough with a priorityless team @ +1 fairyceus). Gengar is ohkod by thunder and psyshock which are staple coverage. jolly cb ho-oh, although rare, can be major trouble especially since that your ogre is modest and your land-t is adamant. I also, agree with hack that a stall team with standard spd palkia will give you struggle and fairyceus can't deal with toxic spam. I can see spikes being very troublesome for this team, since 4/5 mons are grounded and you have no way to remove them. This especially exemplifies your stall weakness.

However, this is probably one of few sticky teams that are exception from the usual inherent yveltal weakness. And, I commend you for that. I've destroyed and berated so many sticky teams for being so damn yveltal weak. I've used and really like explosion genesect on sticky. It gives you a good anti-defog measure, shaky offensive xern check which many sticky struggles to get, and anti-darkrai. I really like the thunder on gengar too. I've theorymonned it quite often and used it rather suboptimally. So, I love how gengar uses thunder so well on your team. (do not use hp fire over thunder pls o.o) One of best sticky team that I've seen. But, I still think that sticky is a gimmick so o well.

As for the improvements: I realize that wow has a great importance on your fairyceus but I think that Refresh could be better and you probably could break through physical threats such as rp don with kyogre. And, gengar+land-t+genesect are all somewhat acceptable checks vs ekiller at -1 already so, I would forgo wow for refresh to deal with stall better. I agree with hack's suggestion to add explosion to land-t. This will make your team much less defog prone and gives it a powerful move that can stop set ups. I strongly disagree with edgar's suggestion about flamethrower on genesect over explosion. flamethower syenergizes poorly with the constant rain that will be up due to specsogre's sweeping capability in sticky. In addition, kyogre punishes scizor just fine, so I don't see such as a big need for hp fire gengar and/or flamethrower gene.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
ey fgt

In all seriousness, I love this team. It maintains offensive pressure whilst being able to fall back on a solid defensive core. I can't really say what hasn't already been mentioned - I'd say Explosion over U-Turn on Landorus-Therian to prevent a potential defog, and although not much can be done to rectify Arceus-Fairy's situation, a few Calm Minds and lack of Sticky Webs won't even matter anymore.

I really can't point out any other flaws. Nice team, although it needs more defog Char-Y.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)