Sigilyph (QC 4/3) (GP 2/2)

Sigilyph

[Overview]

<p>Sigilyph is one of those Pokemon that has always been able to stand out in RU. With an amazing ability in Magic Guard giving it an immunity to any residual damage, Sigilyph can become a well-rounded threat in any match. Its good Special Attack and Speed give it scary offensive potential. BW2 made it even better, as Heat Wave was added to its arsenal, making an offensive set more viable and not as easily walled. Sigilyph can also perform a defensively inclined role with Cosmic Power, Roost, and Stored Power to effectively deal damage. It's not absolutely flawless, however. Sigilyph is not very bulky before setting up, with only 72/80/80 defenses and a multitude of common weaknesses. Don't let that deter you from using Sigilyph, though, because it can be a very effective Pokemon when given the right circumstances.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Heat Wave
move 3: Air Slash / Energy Ball
move 4: Roost
item: Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is by far Sigilyph's best set. With no Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard, Sigilyph can become a powerful offensive threat while staying healthy throughout the match. The choice between Psychic and Psyshock is up to personal preference. Psyshock hits special walls such as Clefable and Cryogonal on their weaker physical defense, while Psychic hits neutral targets harder. Heat Wave is an essential coverage move that hits Escavalier, Steelix, and Ferroseed for super effective damage. The third slot is a toss-up between Air Slash and Energy Ball. Air Slash hits Dark-types for major damage, usually 2HKOing them, while Energy Ball hits Slowking, Crawdaunt, and Lanturn super effectively. Roost provides reliable recovery so that Sigilyph can stay healthy.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs allow Sigilyph to get the most out of its offensive capabilities. A Timid nature is chosen to maximize Sigilyph's Speed, which is unique and allows Sigilyph to outspeed Pokemon such as Drapion and Lilligant. Life Orb is the primary item, and because of Magic Guard its recoil is negated, giving Sigilyph a free 30% power boost. Dark Pulse could be used to hit Uxie and Slowking for super effective damage, but has little use otherwise.</p>

<p>This set is vulnerable to Dark-types such as Spiritomb and cannot break through Uxie and Slowking easily, so Pokemon such as Escavalier or Durant can work as partners to severely damage them. In return, Sigilyph can dent Poliwrath and Nidoqueen, common answers to Durant and Escavalier. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Smeargle and Crustle can make sweeping easier by wearing down Sigilyph's common switch-ins. For example, Slowking is 2HKOed by Energy Ball after switching into Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Spiritomb can also make a fine partner for Sigilyph, as it nicely spinblocks and Pursuit traps Slowking, Uxie, and Cryogonal. Spiritomb can also take hits from Normal-types, such as Cinccino and Tauros, which are typically sent in to revenge kill Sigilyph.</p>

[SET]
name: Cosmic Power
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Roost
move 3: Psycho Shift
move 4: Stored Power
item: Flame Orb
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is what Sigilyph is most known for. A Cosmic Power set can annoy teams with its combination of decent speed, ability to burn physical attackers, and a move that boosts both of Sigilyph's defenses. Cosmic Power is the crux of the set, as it boosts Sigilyph's decent defenses to a point where it is very hard to kill, even with super effective hits. Roost provides reliable recovery so that Sigilyph can stay healthy and cushion weaker Electric- and Ice-type moves. Psycho Shift in conjunction with a Flame Orb will burn physical attackers, most importantly Dark-types. This is because Sigilyph can outlast certain Dark-types thanks to their physically offensive nature. Stored Power rounds up the set, as it is the best way to damage an opponent's team, and after a few boosts Sigilyph can be on its way to a potential sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread invests in Sigilyph's bulk as much as possible while outspeeding max Speed Drapion in order to burn it before it threatens with a super effective Crunch. Because of its unique ability, Sigilyph will not take any damage from the burn inflicted by its Flame Orb and can cripple physical attackers with Psycho Shift. Air Slash could be used for damaging Dark-types, but burning them is more effective. Most Dark-types are physically oriented, so Sigilyph can outstall them with a couple of boosts under its belt, while Air Slash provides a weak attack with little use but to hit anything immune to Stored Power. Calm Mind can boost its Special Attack, but it will miss the Defense boost that Cosmic Power offers. Stored Power will typically wipe out a team after many boosts, so boosting Sigilyph's Special Attack is not needed. Whirlwind is another option it can run, as many of the Pokemon trying to phaze Sigilyph will be naturally slower than it, so it's an effective way of keeping its boosts under its belt. However, Whirlwind should only be used with entry hazards, since if a Pokemon tries to constantly phaze Sigilyph the latter will win out thanks to the damage that racks up.</p>

<p>Calm Mind Spiritomb is an absolute nightmare for this set, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and can use Sigilyph as setup fodder. Slowking and Mandibuzz can also be a nuisance, as they have reliable recovery in Slack Off and Roost. Mandibuzz is immune to Stored Power as well, and Slowking can take multiple Stored Powers and outstall Sigilyph. Klinklang and Aggron can easily switch into Spiritomb thanks to their Steel typing. Aggron can heavily damage Spiritomb and Mandibuzz, and Klinklang can set up on Spiritomb with Shift Gear. Both Pokemon also bait in Fighting- and Ground-type moves, which can give Sigilyph a way to easily set up. Choice Band Spiritomb itself makes a good partner, as it can Pursuit trap Slowking and Uxie, damaging them and clearing a path for Sigilyph to sweep. It can also absorb Tricks that Pokemon such as Rotom use to cripple Sigilyph. Powerful Fire-types, such as Entei and Choice Specs Typhlosion, are immune to burns and can muster enough power to 2HKO Sigilyph even after a Cosmic Power boost. Therefore, Pokemon such as Rhydon, Slowking, and Qwilfish make fantastic partners, as all can switch into the powerful Fire-type attacks thrown at Sigilyph with ease. Speaking of Fire-types, they make good partners for Sigilyph, as they can switch into a defensive Spiritomb with ease and severely damage it so that Sigilyph has more free rein later in the match. As this Sigilyph set lures in Dark-types and can burn them, Pokemon such as Archeops, Cinccino, and Kabutops can take advantage of a lack of a strong Sucker Punch that could otherwise prematurely end their sweep.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Heat Wave

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Even with a decent Special Attack that can plow through much of the metagame, Calm Mind is a fine option to boost Sigilyph's Special Attack to even more deadly levels. Calm Mind is the basis of this set, as it allows Sigilyph to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense to become a larger threat. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is again up to personal preference. Psyshock can be used to hit special walls hard on their weaker physical side, while Psychic is a superior option in dealing out massive damage to neutral targets. Heat Wave is an essential move for hitting Escavalier as well as Steelix, as both Pokemon can comfortably take a Psychic. Roost rounds up the set, as it allows Sigilyph to remain in good shape throughout the match as well as ease the pressure of setting up on weak special attacking threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are straightforward, as they try to get the most out of Sigilyph's offensive capabilities, and along with a Timid nature, Sigilyph can outspeed a large portion of the metagame. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it gives Sigilyph a boost in damage without recoil thanks to Magic Guard. A Flame Orb could be used in conjunction with Psycho Shift over Roost, making Sigilyph more self-sufficient in exchange for longevity, as well as giving it the ability to easily set up on Grass-types thanks to an immunity to sleep. This also allows Sigilyph to burn Dark-types and keep them from tearing through it. Whirlwind is another option that Sigilyph can run, as it allows it to win Calm Mind wars against Pokemon such as Uxie, as well as rack up entry hazard damage on common switch-ins such as Entei. As for other offensive options, Air Slash could be used as a secondary STAB move to destroy frailer Dark-type switch-ins such as Absol. Energy Ball is another coverage move that could work as it hits Slowking and Quagsire, but has little use otherwise. Both moves could go over Roost, but Roost provides the ability to set up with more ease and keeps Sigilyph healthy throughout the match.</p>

<p>Spiritomb, Slowking, and Uxie are all very irritating to this set, as they have the ability to tank hits from Sigilyph. Spiritomb also threatens Sigilyph with a super effective Dark STAB while Slowking and Uxie can potentially paralyze Sigilyph and make it essentially worthless. Durant and Escavalier make good partners, as they hit most of Sigilyph's counters for heavy damage while Sigilyph can remove their counters, such as Poliwrath, with a swift Psychic. Choice Band Spiritomb can also make a nice partner, as it can Pursuit trap the Psychic-types that come in to wall Sigilyph as well as absorb Tricks thrown at it. It cannot be emphasized enough that Sigilyph needs Dark-types out of the way for this specific set, as Absol can KO it comfortably with a STAB Sucker Punch while Drapion can effectively wall Sigilyph. Therefore, Poliwrath makes a good partner because of its nifty resistance to Dark-type moves, effectively walling them to no end, and it can phaze them out with Circle Throw, which can rack up entry hazard damage. Speaking of entry hazards, support from Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crustle, and Qwilfish give Sigilyph the ability to nab KOes more comfortably. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of taking strong Flare Blitzes and Bug-type attacks aimed at Sigilyph.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sigilyph has Thunder Wave, which can be useful for spreading paralysis around, but it is better left to spreading burns or hitting opposing Pokemon hard. Hypnosis is another move in its arsenal, but it has shaky accuracy and Sigilyph has better moves to work with. Sigilyph can set up dual screens, but Uxie can do the job much better with more overall bulk and Memento. A Substitute + Calm Mind set can work to some degree, but it is usually better left to Uxie as well, which has much better bulk. Sigilyph has some other interesting options, such as Ice Beam, but it provides little use or coverage. Tinted Lens could be used over Magic Guard for the extra power to break through resists, but generally the immunity to Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage is more useful. A Choice Scarf set can be used with Tinted Lens, but generally a Life Orb set is more useful on offensive terms.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Spiritomb is a big irritant to any of Sigilyph's sets as it has the substantial bulk to take any hit Sigilyph throws at it and can Pursuit trap Sigilyph. The Calm Mind variant can easily set up on Cosmic Power Sigilyph, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and is immune to Stored Power. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Uxie and Slowking, can take any hit Sigilyph throws at them and cripple it with Thunder Wave. They can also outlast the Cosmic Power set thanks to their enormous special bulk, and Slowking has Slack Off to recover any damage Sigilyph may do to it. A specially defensive Drapion with Rest can usually beat any Sigilyph variant, as it will take any hit Sigilyph can throw at it and Rest off the burns that Sigilyph tries to cripple it with. Other Pokemon with good special bulk such as Clefable and Cryogonal can take hits from offensive variants but must be wary of Psyshock. Lanturn also makes a good counter to any offensive sets lacking Energy Ball thanks to its good special bulk and can hit Sigilyph with a super effective Thunderbolt. Dark-types, such as Absol or offensively oriented Drapion variants, are immune to Psychic and can usually nail Sigilyph very hard with their Dark STAB, but must be wary of Air Slash, which can effectively OHKO both of them after some entry hazard damage. Fire-types, such as Entei or Magmortar, can easily switch into the Cosmic Power set and hit Sigilyph hard with a strong Fire STAB. However, most Fire-types will not enjoy taking a hit from an offensively inclined Sigilyph. Fast Pokemon such as Cinccino and Aerodactyl can hit Sigilyph hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge, respectively, while Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Rotom-C can outspeed and nail Sigilyph with a strong move. Hail staples such as Rotom-F and Glaceon can destroy Sigilyph with a super effective Blizzard, which it cannot take unless it has multiple Special Defense boosts. Powerful moves from Pokemon will usually deal out massive amounts of damage to Sigilyph, as its average bulk cannot usually keep it sturdy without any sort of boost.</p>

Personally I'm more of a fan of 3 Attacks + Roost Sigilyph than Calm Mind, with Air Slash used over Calm Mind. Personally, I have never seen a Calm Mind Sigilyph so I don't know how it is, but I know the other one can do work. Also, Psychic should probably get the main slash, since it, simply put, hits harder in general. Air Slash is a pretty legit move on Sigilyph, as that thing hits really hard against Pokemon such as Drapion and Spiritomb, as well as a few other mons.

Also, I know the Cosmic Power set is meh, but you can't deny that THAT THING IS EVERYWHERE, so I think it needs to have a set. People need to know A) what the set exactly is so they don't screw it up when they try it and B) how exactly to stop that thing, because even though it is weak initially, it is a pain to take down and people need to know how to stop it. It definetly deserves a set at the very least, and if the opponent is unlucky/Dark-types are out Sigilyph can start sweeping easily. It can burn the Dark-types too, so it isn't completely helpless against them since all the Dark-types are generally physical attackers. I really don't like the set either, but sometimes I get swept by it just because I just cannot get a critical hit / my physical attacker gets burned and the crit doesn't even matter.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, I know the Cosmic Power set is meh, but you can't deny that THAT THING IS EVERYWHERE, so I think it needs to have a set. People need to know A) what the set exactly is so they don't screw it up when they try it and B) how exactly to stop that thing, because even though it is weak initially, it is a pain to take down and people need to know how to stop it. It definetly deserves a set at the very least, and if the opponent is unlucky/Dark-types are out Sigilyph can start sweeping easily. It can burn the Dark-types too, so it isn't completely helpless against them since all the Dark-types are generally physical attackers. I really don't like the set either, but sometimes I get swept by it just because I just cannot get a critical hit / my physical attacker gets burned and the crit doesn't even matter.
This. Given that and the set appearing in randbats, it's important that it's on the site so people check how to counter it - or how to play with it. Moreover, the set works decently if you manage to clean Dark-types and get a couple of boosts. Don't understimate it!

Yeah, while I'd agree Cosmic Power is definitely inferior to LO, it is definitely deserving of a set, and can be highly effective when played well (ie.spreading burns mid-game to wear down Dark-types / Pokemon that can OHKO it at +1, retaining Pokemon to check Fire-types and Crotomb, and setting up and sweeping late-game). Also I would second Life Orb+3 Attacks being the primary set with Calm Mind slashed behind the third attack, the extra coverage really helps it break through certain 'mons and it can 2HKO most Pokemon regardless. Not sure what the main coverage move would be, but personally I've found Energy Ball to be the most effective option, allowing it to break through Rhydon and obscure bulky Waters such as Alomomola and Quagsire, while also dealing ~40% to standard Slowking, giving it a solid chance of beating it after SR+Spikes damage.

This. Given that and the set appearing in randbats, it's important that it's on the site so people check how to counter it - or how to play with it. Moreover, the set works decently if you manage to clean Dark-types and get a couple of boosts. Don't understimate it!
The set appearing in Randbats doesn't mean anything whatsoever. However, even still, it is a relatively good set, and deserves a spot on the analysis.

I would rather differentiate between Calm Mind and Offensive Sigilyph. LO 3 attacks + Roost is definitely the best (Psychic / Heat Wave / Air Slash or Energy Ball / Roost). However, Calm Mind isn't that bad either. CM / Roost / Psychic / Heat Wave is all right too...but definitely not as good as LO 3 Attack. I would personally prefer it as the last set, even under Cosmic Power, as that's legitimately difficult to manage for some teams. OO an offensive CM without Roost.

Ok, so kind of an update.

I added a Cosmic Power set, and put it at second. I also separated Offensive CM and LO 3 Attacks + Roost, and put CM last in the order.

I'd like some more QC input on maybe partners and what to slash first (Psychic or Psyshock)

Sorry for the double post, but I kind of feel it's necessary to bump this, because no one has been looking at it for days.

Add CM + Psycho Shift to OO. Expand on teammates in the ACs of the sets. Expand further on Checks and Counters. Do all that and:

QC 1/3, good work.

Ok, so I'm done with writing the Sigilyph analysis, and this is ready for the last QC check. Sorry if it kinda looks skimpy, but I'm willing to take any more feedback that is needed.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not one mention of Tinted Lens? If you do not approve, at least mention what makes it inferior to Magic Guard.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not one mention of Tinted Lens? If you do not approve, at least mention what makes it inferior to Magic Guard.
Oh shit, i totally forgot about tinted lens when QCing this, i'd probably give it a good mention in other options, maybe the AC of the offensive set(s?) at most. I mean, tinted lens is awesome and all, but having an immunity to passive damage in the form of Magic Guard just blows Tinted Lens out of the water in my opinion. Tinted lens is definitely worth mentioning somewhere though, its a legitimate option on sigi for sure.

Bump, I feel that this has been sitting here for way too long without any QC members checking it (unless its supposed to take this long).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Overview and the 3 attacks set look good.

Cosmic Power:

- Needs to watch out for Fire-types as they can't be burned and most are strong enough to 2HKO anyway (Entei, Specs Typhlosion, Magmortar). Bulky Water-types can make good teammates as can Rock-types like Rhydon to counteract the Fire-types.

- You need to mention that Sigilyph makes a good lure for Dark-types like Absol for it to burn for a frail teammate to sweep later. Archeops, Kabutops, and Cinccino in particular enjoy the fact that they won't have to worry about a Sucker Punch from prematurely ending a sweep.

- Also be sure to mention Fire-types as a teammate too for defensive Spiritomb since they can't get burned and force Spiritomb out or just KO it.

Offensive CM

- You need to mention that it's imperative to remove Dark-types, especially Absol, before bringing Sigilyph out. Poliwrath can usually endlessly wall Absol (assuming it doesn't have Psycho Cut) and perhaps rack up entry hazard damage on it by forcing it in and out with Circle Throw.

- Flame Orb can be an alternative item on this set. It protects Sigilyph from other status, lets it set up on Grass-types basically for free, and can allow the last slot to go to Psycho Shift instead of Roost to protect itself from Dark-types. The difference being with this set is that its more self-sufficient but doesn't last as long.

Other Options:

- Remove the mention of the CM Psycho Shift set as it'll be mentioned in the AC of the third set

- Be sure to also mention Hypnosis alongside Thunder Wave.

- Substitute + Calm Mind can gain a mention here as well, though it's generally better left to Uxie as it's much bulkier.

Checks and Counters:

- Need to mention Fire-types here as well for the Cosmic Power set, but they aren't good switch-ins for the offensive sets.

- Mention hail teams putting a huge damper on Sigilyph's fun since it'll need to watch for Blizzard and Rotom-F in general.

- Lanturn needs a specific mention for troubling most sets without Energy Ball.

[qc]3/3[/qc]

Also, sorry for the delay. I think it was mostly just we didn't notice you had finished writing it yet.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
i would like mention of whirlwind SOMEWHERE on cm set because it allows sigi to effortlessly beat other cm mons in cm wars as well as rack up sr/spikes damage on the fire types that love to switch into flame orb sigilyph like entei.

in counters mention rest sdef drapion as it can beat the offensive sets and outstall cosmic power and not REALLY care about the burn.

in other options, you can talk about how a tinted lens choice scarf set is actually a decent option... i ran one for a little while with trick/psychic/tailwind/heat wave and it was actually pretty cool

choice band spiritomb is almost always a good partner for sigilyph too because it removes annoying normal pkmn like cincinno kangaskhan etc and more importantly psychics. it can also take tricks like a man (sigilyph is a v common trick target) and pursuit them for nice damage

qwilfish is also a good partner for sigilyph because while they share an electric weakness, qwilfish sets up spikes and absorbs physical fire blows from the likes of entei while also taking on durant and escav

qc 4/3 [qc]4/3[/qc]

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, let's just hope I get this in before someone else does

Add blue remove red comments below

[Overview]
<p>Sigilyph hais always been one of those Pokemon that has always been able to stand out in the RU tier. With an amazing ability in Magic Guard, effectively giving it an immunity to any residual damage, Sigilyph can become a well-rounded threat in any match. Along wWith its good Special Attack and Speed, Sigilyph can become a scary offensive threat. BW2 made it even better, as Heat Wave was added to its arsenal, making an offensive set more viable and not as easily walled. Sigilyph can also perform a defensively inclined rolle with Cosmic Power, and with reliable recovery in Roost and Stored Power to effectively do damage. It's not absolutely flawless, though. Sigilyph is not very bulky before set-ting up, with only average 72/80/80 bulk and a multitude of common weaknesses. Don't let that deter you from using Sigilyph, though, because it can be a very effective Pokemon when given the right circumstances.</p>

[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is by far Sigilyph's best set. With no Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard, Sigilyph can become a powerful offensive threat while staying healthy throughout the match. The choice between Psychic and Psyshock is up to personal preference. Psyshock hits Sspecial walls such as Clefable and Cryogonal on their weaker physical defense, while Psychic hits neutral targets harder. Heat Wave is an essential coverage move that hits Escavalier, Steelix, and Ferroseed for super effective damage. The third slot is a toss -up between Air Slash and Energy Ball. Air Slash hits Dark-types, such as Absol and Drapion for major damage, effectively 2HKOing them, while Energy Ball hits Slowking, Crawdaunt, and Lanturn for super-effective damage. Roost provides reliable recovery so that Sigilyph can stay healthy for a good portion of the match.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs allow Sigilyph to get the most out of its offensive capabilities. A Timid nature is chosen to maximize Sigilyph's speed as much as possible. Life Orb is the primary item, and because of Sigilyph's brilliant ability in Magic Guard, its recoil is negated, while giving Sigilyph astill benefits from the 30% power boost. Dark Pulse could be used to hit Uxie and Slowking for super-effective damage, but has little use otherwise.</p>
<p>This set is vulnerable to Dark-types such as Spiritomb, and cannot musterbreak through Uxie and Slowking easily, so Pokemon such as Escavalier or Durant can work inas partners to severely damaginge them. In additioreturn, Sigilyph can dent Poliwrath and Nidoqueen, common answers to Durant and Escavalier. Hazards are nice from Pokemon such as Smeargle and Crustle, which can make sweeping easier by wearing down Sigilyph's common switch-ins, are nice. For example, Slowking is 2HKOed upon switch in fromby Energy Ball after switching into Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Spiritomb can also make a fine partner for Sigilyph, as it nicely spinblocks, temporarily keeping Kabutops or Sandslash from spinning away hazards, while able to Pursuit traps Slowking, Uxie, and Cryogonal. Spiritomb can also take hits from Normal-types, such as Cinccino, which is typically sent in to revenge kill Sigilyph. </p>

[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Sigilyph's most common set, which can annoy teams with its combination of decent speed, ability to burn physical Dark-type attackers, and a move that boosts both of Sigilyph's defenses. Cosmic Power is the crux of the set, as it boosts Sigilyph's decent defenses to a point where it is very hard to kill, even with super-effective hits. Roost provides reliable recovery, so that Sigilyph can stay healthy throughout its boosting period, as well as cushion weaker Electric and Ice type moves. Psycho Shift, in conjunction with a Flame Orb, will burn physical attackers, and most importantly Dark-types. This is important because Sigilyph can outlast certain Dark-types, thanks to their physically-offensive nature. Stored Power rounds up the set, as its the best way to damage an opponent's team, and after a few boosts, Sigilyph can be on its way to a potential sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread is meant to invests in Sigilyph's bulk as much as possible, as whilell as outspeeding max Speed Drapion so you cand burn it before it threatens with a super-effective Crunch. Flame Orb is used, and bBecause of Sigilyph's unique ability, Sigilyph will not take any damage from the burn, as well as be ableinflicted by its Flame Orb, making it much easier to cripple physical attackers with Psycho Shift. Air Slash could be used for damaging Dark-types, but burning them is more effective. Most Dark-types are physically oriented, so Sigilyph can outstall them with a couple of boosts under its belt, while Air Slash provides a weak attack with little use but to hit anything not resistingimmune to Stored Power. Calm Mind can boost Sigilyph's Special Attack, but it will miss the Defense boosts that Cosmic Power offers. Stored Power will typically wipe out a team after many boosts, so boosting Sigilyph's Special Attack is not needed. Whirlwind is another option Sigilyph can run, as it phases Pokemon before they are able to phase Sigilyph. Many of the Pokemon trying to phase Sigilyph will be naturally slower than Sigilyph, so it's an effective way of keeping Sigilyph's boosts under its belt. However, Whirlwind should only be used with hazards to rack up damage on the, as if a Pokemon trying to phase Sigilyph, as if they try to constantly phase, Sigilyph
will win out thanks to the damage that racks up from entry hazards.</p>
<p>Calm Mind Spiritomb is an absolute nightmare for this set, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and can use Sigilyph as set-up fodder. Slowking and Manidbuzz can also can be a nuisance, as they have reliable recovery in Slack Off and Roost. Mandibuzz is immune to Stored Power as well, and Slowking can take multiple Stored Powers and outstall Sigilyph. Klinklang and Aggron can easily switch into Spiritomb, and. Aggron can heavily damage Spiritomb orand Mandibuzz, and Klinklang can set up on Spiritomb with Shift Gear courtesy tof its Steel-typing. Both Pokemon also bait in Fighting and Ground-type moves, which can allowgive Sigilyph to make way for anto easily set- up. Choice Band Spiritomb itself makes a good partner, as it can Pursuit trap Slowking and Uxie, damaging them for a nice super effective hit, and clearing a path for Sigilyph to sweep. It can also absorb Tricks that Pokemon such as Rotom throw at it, trying to effectively cripple Sigilyph from doing anything relevant. Powerful Fire-types, such as Entei and Choice Specs Typhlolsion, are immune to burn, and can muster enough power to 2HKO Sigilyph even after a Cosmic Power boost. Therefore, Pokemon such as Rhydon, Slowking, and Qwilfish make fantastic partners, as all can switch into the powerful Fire-type attacks thrown at Sigilyph with ease. Speaking of Fire-types, they make good partners for Sigilyph, as they can switch into a defensive Spiritomb with ease, and severely damage Spiritomb so that Sigilyph has more free terrorreign later in the match. Since this Sigilyph set lures in Dark-types, such as Absol, and can burn them, Pokemon such as Archeops, Cinccino, and Kabutops can take advantage of a burned Absol, who cannot threaten to end their havoc with a strong Sucker Punch. </p>

[SET]
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Even with Sigilyph's decent Special Attack that can musterplow through much of the metagame, Calm Mind is a fine option to boost Sigilyph's Special Attack to even more deadly levels. Calm Mind is the main basis of this set, as it allows Sigilyph to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense to a point where it can become a larger threat. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is again up to personal preference. Psyshock can be used to hit special walls hard on their weaker physical side, while Psychic can beis a superior option in dealing out massive damage to neutral targets. Heat Wave is an essential move for hitting Escavalier as well as Steelix, as both Pokemon can comfortably take a Psychic. Roost rounds up the set, as it allows Sigilyph to remain in good shape throughout the match, as well as ease the pressure of setting up on weak special attacking threats.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are straightforward, as they try to get the most out of Sigilyph's offensive capabilities, and along with a Timid nature, Sigilyph can outspeed a good portion of the metagame. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it gives Sigilyph a boost in power, while not takgiving any recoil thanks to Magic Guard. A Flame Orb could be used in conjunction with Psycho Shift over Roost, making Sigilyph more self-sufficient in tradexchange for longevity, as well as giving it the ability to easily set-up on Grass-types, thanks to an immunity to sleep. This also allows Sigilyph to burn Dark-types and keep them from tearing through Sigilyph. Whirlwind is another option that Sigilyph can run, as it allows Sigilyph to win through Calm Mind wars against Pokemon such as Uxie, as well as rack up entry hazard damage on common switch ins like Entei. As for other offensive options, Air Slash could be used as a secondary STAB move that will destroy frailer Dark-type switch ins such as Absol. Energy Ball is another coverage move that could work, as it hits Slowking and Quagsire, but has little use otherwise. Both moves could go over Roost, but Roost provides the ability to set up with more ease and retain a healthy Sigilyph throughout the match.</p>
<p>Spiritomb, Slowking, and Uxie are all very irritating to this set, as they have the ability to tank hits from Sigilyph. Spiritomb also threatens Sigilyph with a super-effective Dark STAB, while Slowking and Uxie can potentially paralyze Sigilyph and make it essentially worthless. Durant and Escavalier make good partners, as they hit most of Sigilyph's counters for heavy damage, while Sigilyph can remove their counters, like Poliwrath, with a swift Psychic. Choice Band Spiritomb can also make a nice partner, as it can Pursuit trap the Psychic types that come in to wall Sigilyph, as well as absorb Tricks thrown at Sigilyph trying to lock it into Calm Mind. It cannot be emphasized enough that Sigilyph needs Dark-types out of the way for this specific set, as Pokemon such as Absol can KO it comfortably with a STAB Sucker Punch, while Drapion can effectively wall Sigilyph. Therefore, Poliwrath makes a good partner, because of its nifty resistance to Dark-type moves thrown at Sigilyph, effectively walling them to no end, and phasing them out with Circle Throw, which can rack up entry hazard damage on those Dark-types, severely weakening them. Speaking of hazards, hazard support from Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crustle, and Qwilfish give Sigilyph the ability to nab KOs more comfortably. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of taking strong Flare Blitzes and Bug-type attacks aimed at Sigilyph. </p>
[Other Options]
<p>Sigilyph has Thunder Wave, which can be useful for spreading paralysis around, but Sigilyph is better left to spreading burns or hitting opposing Pokemon hard with strong attacks. Hypnosis is another move in Sigilyph's arsenal, but it has shaky accuracy and Sigilyph has better moves to work with. It can also set up dual screens, but Uxie can do the job much better with better overall bulk and Memento. A Substitute + Calm Mind set can work to some degree, but it is usually better left to Uxie, who has much better bulk than Sigilyph. Sigilyph has some other interesting options, such as Ice Beam, but it provides little use or coverage. Tinted Lens could be used over Magic Guard for the extra power to break through resists, but generally the immunity to Life Orb/burn and Stealth Rock damage on offensive sets is more useful in keeping Sigilyph around for long periods of time. A Choice Scarf set can be used with Tinted Lens, but generally, a Life Orb set is more useful in terms of benefiting Sigilyph offensively terms.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Spiritomb is a big irritator to any of Sigilyph's sets, as it has the substantial bulk to take any hit Sigilyph throws at it and possibly Pursuit trap it. The Calm Mind variant can easily set up on Cosmic Power Sigilyph, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and is immune to Stored Power. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Uxie and Slowking, can take any hit Sigilyph throws at ithem and cripple it with Thunder Wave. They can also outlast the Cosmic Power set thanks to their enormous Special bulk, and Slowking has Slack Off to recover any damage Sigilyph may throw atdo to it. A specially defensive Drapion with Rest can usually beat any Sigilyph variant, as it will take any hit Sigilyph can throw at it, and Rest off the burns that Sigilyph tries to cripple it with. Other Pokemon with good Sspecial bulk such as Clefable and Cryogonal can take hits from offensive variants, but must be wary of Psyshock. Lanturn also makes a good counter to any offensive sets lacking Energy Ball thanks to its good special bulk and can hit Sigilyph with a super-effective Thunderbolt. Dark-types, such as Absol or offensively oreinted Drapion variants, are immune to Psychic and can usually nail Sigilyph very hard with their Dark STAB, but must be wary of Air Slash, which can effectively OHKO both of them after some entry hazard damage, but can usually nail Sigilyph hard with their Dark STAB. Fire-types, such as Entei or Magmortar, can easily switch into the Cosmic Power set, as they are immune to burn and can hit Sigilyph hard with a strong Fire STAB. But most Fire-types will not enjoy taking a hit from an offensively inclined Sigilyph. Fast Pokemon such as Cinccino and Aerodactyl can hit Sigilyph hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge, respectively, while Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Rotom-C can outspeed and nail Sigilyph with a Thunderbolt. Hail staples such as Rotom-F and Glaceon can destroy Sigilyph with a super-effective Blizzard, which it cannot take unless it has multiple Special Defense boosts. Powerful moves from Pokemon will usually deal out massive amounts of damage to Sigilyph, as its average bulk cannot usually keep it sturdy without any sort of boost.</p>

Comments: on the LO set's ac, you really need a little more about the evs. Just be like 252 SpA for max power and 252 spe for outspeeding stuffs *whatever that lets you outspeed*
You already mentioned how great magic guard is so I cut the next mention out.
Muster through? Choose another word, please.
Is it only Cincinno that revenges sigilyph or more normal-types? if only Cincinno, don't talk about other normal-types;if all of them, don't say Is, just are. ( I think, anyhow. A GP member will have to tell you about the second one, pretty sure I am right.)
What's with the weird qualifications for "Sigilyph can stay healthy"? I cut two of these, it's really silly. Roost is so it can stay healthy for the rest of its life, not during its boosting period or for a significant portion of time.
Maybe mention that Psycho shift Burn is your only way of getting past dark-types, which is why it matters that you can outlast them and such?
Also, if you use Whirlwind, you can just accumulate boosts on the pokemon you whirlwinded in, then OHKO the phaser at +6/6. More importantly, you need it with hazards so it can still deal with Dark-types.
Maybe mention pokemon who hate all dark-types, as opposed those who only hate one dark-type only because it hits them neutrally with a strong sucker punch?
Your beginning Cm sentence hypes up and takes down Sigi's special attack. Which is it? Is it enough to muster through most of the metagame or barely worth using CM with? Also no Muster please.
Pretty sure you're supposed to talk about first slash then second slash, JS.
"For hitting esca and steelix as both can comfortably take a psychic". And what? Ko back? CM? Twiddle their thumbs? Phase?
Once again on offensive CM mention evs a little more. Yes it's p. obv but still.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]
<p>Sigilyph is one of those Pokemon that has always been able to stand out in the RU tier. With an amazing ability in Magic Guard, (RC) effectively giving it an immunity to any residual damage, Sigilyph can become a well-rounded threat in any match. With its good Special Attack and Speed, Sigilyph can become a scary offensive threat. BW2 made it even better, as Heat Wave was added to its arsenal, making an offensive set more viable and not as easily walled. Sigilyph can also perform a defensively inclined role with Cosmic Power, and with reliable recovery in Roost, (AC) and Stored Power to effectively deal damage. It's not absolutely flawless, though. Sigilyph is not very bulky before setting up, with only average 72/80/80 defenses bulk and a multitude of common weaknesses. Don't let that deter you from using Sigilyph, though, because it can be a very effective Pokemon when given the right circumstances.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is by far Sigilyph's best set. With no Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard, Sigilyph can become a powerful offensive threat while staying healthy throughout the match. The choice between Psychic and Psyshock is up to personal preference. Psyshock hits special walls such as Clefable and Cryogonal on their weaker physical defense, (RC) while Psychic hits neutral targets harder. Heat Wave is an essential coverage move that hits Escavalier, Steelix, and Ferroseed for super effective damage. The third slot is a toss-up between Air Slash and Energy Ball. Air Slash hits Dark-types, such as Absol and Drapion, (AC) for major damage, effectively 2HKOing them, while Energy Ball hits Slowking, Crawdaunt, and Lanturn for super effective damage. Roost provides reliable recovery so that Sigilyph can stay healthy throughout the match.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs allow Sigilyph to get the most out of its offensive capabilities. A Timid nature is chosen to maximize Sigilyph's Speed, which is unique and allows Sigilyph to outspeed Pokemon such as Drapion and Lilligant. Life Orb is the primary item, and because of Magic Guard, (RC) its recoil is negated, while giving Sigilyph a free 30% power boost. Dark Pulse could be used to hit Uxie and Slowking for super effective damage, but has little use otherwise.</p>

<p>This set is vulnerable to Dark-types such as Spiritomb, (RC) and cannot break through Uxie and Slowking easily, so Pokemon such as Escavalier or Durant can work as partners to severely damage them. In return, Sigilyph can dent Poliwrath and Nidoqueen, common answers to Durant and Escavalier. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Smeargle and Crustle, which can make sweeping easier by wearing down Sigilyph's common switch-ins, are nice. For example, Slowking is 2HKOed by Energy Ball after switching into Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Spiritomb can also make a fine partner for Sigilyph, as it nicely spinblocks and Pursuit traps Slowking, Uxie, and Cryogonal. Spiritomb can also take hits from Normal-types, such as Cinccino and Tauros, which are typically sent in to revenge kill Sigilyph. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is Sigilyph's most common set, Then why isn't this set listed first? which can annoy teams with its combination of decent speed, ability to burn physical Dark-type attackers, and a move that boosts both of Sigilyph's defenses. Cosmic Power is the crux of the set, as it boosts Sigilyph's decent defenses to a point where it is very hard to kill, even with super effective hits. Roost provides reliable recovery, so that Sigilyph can stay healthy as well as cushion weaker Electric- and Ice-type moves. Psycho Shift, (RC) in conjunction with a Flame Orb, (RC) will burn physical attackers, and most importantly Dark-types. This is important because Sigilyph can outlast certain Dark-types, (RC) thanks to their physically offensive nature. Stored Power rounds up the set, as it is the best way to damage an opponent's team, and after a few boosts, Sigilyph can be on its way to a potential sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread invests in Sigilyph's bulk as much as possible while outspeeding max Speed Drapion and in order to burn it before it threatens with a super effective Crunch. Because of Sigilyph's unique ability, Sigilyph will not take any damage from the burn inflicted by its Flame Orb, as well as and can cripple physical attackers with Psycho Shift with no negative downsides. Air Slash could be used for damaging Dark-types, but burning them is more effective. Most Dark-types are physically oriented, so Sigilyph can outstall them with a couple of boosts under its belt, while Air Slash provides a weak attack with little use but to hit anything immune to Stored Power. Calm Mind can boost Sigilyph's Special Attack, but it will miss the Defense boosts that Cosmic Power offers. Stored Power will typically wipe out a team after many boosts, so boosting Sigilyph's Special Attack is not needed. Whirlwind is another option Sigilyph can run, as many of the Pokemon trying to phaze Sigilyph will be naturally slower than it Sigilyph, so it's an effective way of keeping Sigilyph's boosts under its belt. However, Whirlwind should only be used with entry hazards, as if a Pokemon tries to constantly phaze, (RC) Sigilyph will win out thanks to the damage that racks up from entry hazards.</p>

<p>Calm Mind Spiritomb is an absolute nightmare for this set, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and can use Sigilyph as setup fodder. Slowking and Manidbuzz can also be a nuisance, as they have reliable recovery in Slack Off and Roost. Mandibuzz is immune to Stored Power as well, and Slowking can take multiple Stored Powers and outstall Sigilyph. Klinklang and Aggron can easily switch into Spiritomb thanks to their Steel typing. Aggron can heavily damage Spiritomb and Mandibuzz, (RC) and Klinklang can set up on Spiritomb with Shift Gear courtesy of its Steel-typing. Both Pokemon also bait in Fighting- and Ground-type moves, which can give Sigilyph a way to easily set up. Choice Band Spiritomb itself makes a good partner, as it can Pursuit trap Slowking and Uxie, damaging them and clearing a path for Sigilyph to sweep. It can also absorb Tricks that Pokemon such as Rotom use throw at it, trying to effectively cripple Sigilyph. Powerful Fire-types, such as Entei and Choice Specs Typhlosion, are immune to a burn, (RC) and can muster enough power to 2HKO Sigilyph even after a Cosmic Power boost. Therefore, Pokemon such as Rhydon, Slowking, and Qwilfish make fantastic partners, (RC) as all can switch into the powerful Fire-type attacks thrown at Sigilyph with ease. Speaking of Fire-types, they make good partners for Sigilyph, as they can switch into a defensive Spiritomb with ease, (RC) and severely damage it Spiritomb so that Sigilyph has more free reign later in the match. Since As this Sigilyph set lures in Dark-types, such as Absol, and can burn them, Pokemon such as Archeops, Cinccino, and Kabutops can take advantage of a lack of burned Absol, who cannot threaten to end their havoc with a strong Sucker Punch. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Even with Sigilyph's decent Special Attack that can plow through much of the metagame, Calm Mind is a fine option to boost Sigilyph's Special Attack to even more deadly levels. Calm Mind is the basis of this set, as it allows Sigilyph to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense to become a larger threat. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is again up to personal preference. Psyshock can be used to hit special walls hard on their weaker physical side, (RC) while Psychic is a superior option in dealing out massive damage to neutral targets. Heat Wave is an essential move for hitting Escavalier as well as Steelix, as both Pokemon can comfortably take a Psychic. Roost rounds up the set, as it allows Sigilyph to remain in good shape throughout the match, (RC) as well as ease the pressure of setting up on weak special attacking threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are straightforward, as they try to get the most out of Sigilyph's offensive capabilities, and along with a Timid nature, (RC) Sigilyph can outspeed a large portion of the metagame. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it gives Sigilyph a boost in power, while not giving any without recoil thanks to Magic Guard. A Flame Orb could be used in conjunction with Psycho Shift over Roost, making Sigilyph more self-sufficient in exchange for longevity, as well as giving it the ability to easily set up on Grass-types, (RC) thanks to an immunity to sleep. This also allows Sigilyph to burn Dark-types and keep them from tearing through Sigilyph. Whirlwind is another option that Sigilyph can run, as it allows Sigilyph to win Calm Mind wars against Pokemon such as Uxie, (RC) as well as rack up entry hazard damage on common switch-ins such as like Entei. As for other offensive options, Air Slash could be used as a secondary STAB move that will destroy frailer Dark-type switch-ins such as Absol. Energy Ball is another coverage move that could work, (RC) as it hits Slowking and Quagsire, but has little use otherwise. Both moves could go over Roost, but Roost provides the ability to set up with more ease and keep retain a healthy Sigilyph healthy throughout the match.</p>

<p>Spiritomb, Slowking, and Uxie are all very irritating to this set, as they have the ability to tank hits from Sigilyph. Spiritomb also threatens Sigilyph with a super effective Dark STAB, (RC) while Slowking and Uxie can potentially paralyze Sigilyph and make it essentially worthless. Durant and Escavalier make good partners, as they hit most of Sigilyph's counters for heavy damage, (RC) while Sigilyph can remove their counters, like such as Poliwrath, with a swift Psychic. Choice Band Spiritomb can also make a nice partner, as it can Pursuit trap the Psychic-types that come in to wall Sigilyph, (RC) as well as absorb Tricks thrown at Sigilyph. It cannot be emphasized enough that Sigilyph needs Dark-types out of the way for this specific set, as Pokemon such as Absol can KO it comfortably with a STAB Sucker Punch, (RC) while Drapion can effectively wall Sigilyph. Therefore, Poliwrath makes a good partner, (RC) because of its nifty resistance to Dark-types moves thrown at Sigilyph, effectively walling them to no end, and can phaze them out with Circle Throw, which can rack up entry hazard damage on those Dark-types, severely weakening them. Speaking of entry hazards, hazard support from Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crustle, and Qwilfish give Sigilyph the ability to nab KOs more comfortably. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of taking strong Flare Blitzes and Bug-type attacks aimed at Sigilyph. </p>

[Other Options]
<p>Sigilyph has Thunder Wave, which can be useful for spreading paralysis around, but Sigilyph is better left to spreading burns or hitting opposing Pokemon hard. Hypnosis is another move in Sigilyph's arsenal, but it has shaky accuracy and Sigilyph has better moves to work with. It Sigilyph can also set up dual screens, but Uxie can do the job much better with better more overall bulk and Memento. A Substitute + Calm Mind set can work to some degree, but it is usually better left to Uxie, which has much better bulk than Sigilyph. Sigilyph has some other interesting options, such as Ice Beam, but it provides little use or coverage. Tinted Lens could be used over Magic Guard for the extra power to break through resists, but generally the immunity to Life Orb, burn, (AC) and Stealth Rock damage is more useful. A Choice Scarf set can be used with Tinted Lens, but generally, (RC) a Life Orb set is more useful in offensive terms.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Spiritomb is a big irritator to any of Sigilyph's sets, as it has the substantial bulk to take any hit Sigilyph throws at it and can possibly Pursuit trap Sigilyph it. The Calm Mind variant can easily set up on Cosmic Power Sigilyph, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and is immune to Stored Power. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Uxie and Slowking, can take any hit Sigilyph throws at them and cripple it with Thunder Wave. They can also outlast the Cosmic Power set thanks to their enormous special bulk, and Slowking has Slack Off to recover any damage Sigilyph may do to it. A specially defensive Drapion with Rest can usually beat any Sigilyph variant, as it will take any hit Sigilyph can throw at it, (RC) and Rest off the burns that Sigilyph tries to cripple it with. Other Pokemon with good special bulk such as Clefable and Cryogonal can take hits from offensive variants, (RC) but must be wary of Psyshock. Lanturn also makes a good counter to any offensive sets lacking Energy Ball thanks to its good special bulk and can hit Sigilyph with a super effective Thunderbolt. Dark-types, such as Absol or offensively oreinted Drapion variants, are immune to Psychic and can usually nail Sigilyph very hard with their Dark STAB, but must be wary of Air Slash, which can effectively OHKO both of them after some entry hazard damage. Fire-types, such as Entei or Magmortar, can easily switch into the Cosmic Power set, as they are immune to burn and can hit Sigilyph hard with a strong Fire STAB. But However, most Fire-types will not enjoy taking a hit from an offensively inclined Sigilyph. Fast Pokemon such as Cinccino and Aerodactyl can hit Sigilyph hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge, respectively, while Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Rotom-C can outspeed and nail Sigilyph with a strong move Thunderbolt. Hail staples such as Rotom-F and Glaceon can destroy Sigilyph with a super effective Blizzard, which it cannot take unless it has multiple Special Defense boosts. Powerful moves from Pokemon will usually deal out massive amounts of damage to Sigilyph, as its average bulk cannot usually keep it sturdy without any sort of boost.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Sigilyph

[Overview]
<p>Sigilyph is one of those Pokemon that has always been able to stand out in RU. With an amazing ability in Magic Guard giving it an immunity to any residual damage, Sigilyph can become a well-rounded threat in any match. With its good Special Attack and Speed, Sigilyph can become a scary offensive threat. (suggested rewording for the second sentence to avoid repetition in the overview/analysis: 'Its good Special Attack and Speed give it scary offensive potential.') BW2 made it even better, as Heat Wave was added to its arsenal, making an offensive set more viable and not as easily walled. Sigilyph can also perform a defensively inclined role with Cosmic Power, Roost, and Stored Power to effectively deal damage. It's not absolutely flawless, though however (repetition). Sigilyph is not very bulky before setting up, with only 72/80/80 defenses and a multitude of common weaknesses. Don't let that deter you from using Sigilyph, though, because it can be a very effective Pokemon when given the right circumstances.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is by far Sigilyph's best set. With no Life Orb recoil thanks to Magic Guard, Sigilyph can become a powerful offensive threat while staying healthy throughout the match. The choice between Psychic and Psyshock is up to personal preference. Psyshock hits special walls such as Clefable and Cryogonal on their weaker physical defense, while Psychic hits neutral targets harder. Heat Wave is an essential coverage move that hits Escavalier, Steelix, and Ferroseed for super effective damage. The third slot is a toss-up between Air Slash and Energy Ball. Air Slash hits Dark-types for major damage, effectively 2HKOing them, while Energy Ball hits Slowking, Crawdaunt, and Lanturn for super effective damage super effectively (repetition). Roost provides reliable recovery so that Sigilyph can stay healthy.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs allow Sigilyph to get the most out of its offensive capabilities. A Timid nature is chosen to maximize Sigilyph's Speed, which is unique and allows Sigilyph to outspeed Pokemon such as Drapion and Lilligant. Life Orb is the primary item, and because of Magic Guard (space) its recoil is negated, giving Sigilyph a free 30% power boost. Dark Pulse could be used to hit Uxie and Slowking for super effective damage, but has little use otherwise.</p>

<p>This set is vulnerable to Dark-types such as Spiritomb and cannot break through Uxie and Slowking easily, so Pokemon such as Escavalier or Durant can work as partners to severely damage them. In return, Sigilyph can dent Poliwrath and Nidoqueen, common answers to Durant and Escavalier. Entry hazards from Pokemon such as Smeargle and Crustle can make sweeping easier by wearing down Sigilyph's common switch-ins. For example, Slowking is 2HKOed by Energy Ball after switching into Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Spiritomb can also make a fine partner for Sigilyph, as it nicely spinblocks and Pursuit traps Slowking, Uxie, and Cryogonal. Spiritomb can also take hits from Normal-types, such as Cinccino and Tauros, which are typically sent in to revenge kill Sigilyph. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is what Sigilyph is well known for. A Cosmic Power set can annoy teams with its combination of decent speed, ability to burn physical attackers, and a move that boosts both of Sigilyph's defenses. Cosmic Power is the crux of the set, as it boosts Sigilyph's decent defenses to a point where it is very hard to kill, even with super effective hits. Roost provides reliable recovery, so that Sigilyph can stay healthy as well as cushion weaker Electric- and Ice-type moves. Psycho Shift in conjunction with a Flame Orb (space) will burn physical attackers, most importantly Dark-types. This is because Sigilyph can outlast certain Dark-types thanks to their physically offensive nature. Stored Power rounds up the set, as it is the best way to damage an opponent's team, and after a few boosts, Sigilyph can be on its way to a potential sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread invests in Sigilyph's bulk as much as possible while outspeeding max Speed Drapion in order to burn it before it threatens with a super effective Crunch. Because of Sigilyph's its unique ability, Sigilyph will not take any damage from the burn inflicted by its Flame Orb and can cripple physical attackers with Psycho Shift. Air Slash could be used for damaging Dark-types, but burning them is more effective. Most Dark-types are physically oriented, so Sigilyph can outstall them with a couple of boosts under its belt, while Air Slash provides a weak attack with little use but to hit anything immune to Stored Power. Calm Mind can boost Sigilyph's its Special Attack, but it will miss the Defense boost that Cosmic Power offers. Stored Power will typically wipe out a team after many boosts, so boosting Sigilyph's Special Attack is not needed. Whirlwind is another option Sigilyph it can run, as many of the Pokemon trying to phaze Sigilyph will be naturally slower than it, so it's an effective way of keeping Sigilyph's its boosts under its belt. However, Whirlwind should only be used with entry hazards, as if a Pokemon tries to constantly phase phaze Sigilyph will win out thanks to the damage that racks up.</p>

<p>Calm Mind Spiritomb is an absolute nightmare for this set, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and can use Sigilyph as setup fodder. Slowking and Manidbuzz Mandibuzz can also be a nuisance, as they have reliable recovery in Slack Off and Roost. Mandibuzz is immune to Stored Power as well, and Slowking can take multiple Stored Powers and outstall Sigilyph. Klinklang and Aggron can easily switch into Spiritomb thanks to their Steel typing. Aggron can heavily damage Spiritomb and Mandibuzz, and Klinklang can set up on Spiritomb with Shift Gear. Both Pokemon also bait in Fighting- and Ground-type moves, which can give Sigilyph a way to easily set up. Choice Band Spiritomb itself makes a good partner, as it can Pursuit trap Slowking and Uxie, damaging them and clearing a path for Sigilyph to sweep. It can also absorb Tricks that Pokemon such as Rotom use trying to cripple Sigilyph. Powerful Fire-types, such as Entei and Choice Specs Typhlosion, are immune to aburn burns and can muster enough power to 2HKO Sigilyph even after a Cosmic Power boost. Therefore, Pokemon such as Rhydon, Slowking, and Qwilfish make fantastic partners, as all can switch into the powerful Fire-type attacks thrown at Sigilyph with ease. Speaking of Fire-types, they make good partners for Sigilyph, as they can switch into a defensive Spiritomb with ease and severely damage it so that Sigilyph has more free reign rein later in the match. As this Sigilyph set lures in Dark-types and can burn them, Pokemon such as Archeops, Cinccino, and Kabutops can take advantage of a lack of a strong Sucker Punch. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Even with Sigilyph's a decent Special Attack that can plow through much of the metagame, Calm Mind is a fine option to boost Sigilyph's Special Attack to even more deadly levels. Calm Mind is the basis of this set, as it allows Sigilyph to boost its Special Attack and Special Defense to become a larger threat. The choice between Psyshock and Psychic is again up to personal preference. Psyshock can be used to hit special walls hard on their weaker physical side, while Psychic is a superior option in dealing out massive damage to neutral targets. Heat Wave is an essential move for hitting Escavalier as well as Steelix, as both Pokemon can comfortably take a Psychic. Roost rounds up the set, as it allows Sigilyph to remain in good shape throughout the match (space) as well as ease the pressure of setting up on weak special attacking threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are straightforward, as they try to get the most out of Sigilyph's offensive capabilities, and along with a Timid nature, (space)Sigilyph can outspeed a large portion of the metagame. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it gives Sigilyph a boost in damage without recoil thanks to Magic Guard. A Flame Orb could be used in conjunction with Psycho Shift over Roost, making Sigilyph more self-sufficient in exchange for longevity, as well as giving it the ability to easily set up on Grass-types thanks to an immunity to sleep. This also allows Sigilyph to burn Dark-types and keep them from tearing through Sigilyph it. Whirlwind is another option that Sigilyph can run, as it allows Sigilyph it to win Calm Mind wars against Pokemon such as Uxie, (space) as well as rack up entry hazard damage on common switch-ins such as Entei. As for other offensive options, Air Slash could be used as a secondary STAB move that will to destroy frailer Dark-type switch-ins such as Absol. Energy Ball is another coverage move that could work as it hits Slowking and Quagsire, but has little use otherwise. Both moves could go over Roost, but Roost provides the ability to set up with more ease and keep Sigilyph healthy throughout the match.</p>

<p>Spiritomb, Slowking, and Uxie are all very irritating to this set, as they have the ability to tank hits from Sigilyph. Spiritomb also threatens Sigilyph with a super effective Dark STAB while Slowking and Uxie can potentially paralyze Sigilyph and make it essentially worthless. Durant and Escavalier make good partners, as they hit most of Sigilyph's counters for heavy damage while Sigilyph can remove their counters, such as Poliwrath, with a swift Psychic. Choice Band Spiritomb can also make a nice partner, as it can Pursuit trap the Psychic-types that come in to wall Sigilyph (space) as well as absorb Tricks thrown at Sigilyph it. It cannot be emphasized enough that Sigilyph needs Dark-types out of the way for this specific set, as (space) Absol can KO it comfortably with a STAB Sucker Punch while Drapion can effectively wall Sigilyph. Therefore, Poliwrath makes a good partner because of its nifty resistance to Dark-type moves thrown at Sigilyph, effectively walling them to no end, and it can phaze them out with Circle Throw, which can rack up entry hazard damage. Speaking of entry hazards, support from Pokemon such as Smeargle, Crustle, and Qwilfish give Sigilyph the ability to nab KOes more comfortably. Qwilfish also has the added benefit of taking strong Flare Blitzes and Bug-type attacks aimed at Sigilyph. </p>

[Other Options]
<p>Sigilyph has Thunder Wave, which can be useful for spreading paralysis around, but Sigilyph it is better left to spreading burns or hitting opposing Pokemon hard. Hypnosis is another move in Sigilyph's its arsenal, but it has shaky accuracy and Sigilyph has better moves to work with. Sigilyph can also set up dual screens, but Uxie can do the job much better with more overall bulk and Memento. A Substitute + Calm Mind set can work to some degree, but it is usually better left to Uxie as well, which has much better bulk. Sigilyph has some other interesting options, such as Ice Beam, but it provides little use or coverage. Tinted Lens could be used over Magic Guard for the extra power to break through resists, but generally the immunity to Life Orb, and Stealth Rock damage is more useful. A Choice Scarf set can be used with Tinted Lens, but generally (space) a Life Orb set is more useful in offensive terms.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Spiritomb is a big irritator irritant to any of Sigilyph's sets, as it has the substantial bulk to take any hit Sigilyph throws at it and can Pursuit trap Sigilyph. The Calm Mind variant can easily set up on Cosmic Power Sigilyph, as it doesn't mind a burn thanks to Rest and is immune to Stored Power. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Uxie and Slowking, can take any hit Sigilyph throws at them and cripple it with Thunder Wave. They can also outlast the Cosmic Power set thanks to their enormous special bulk, and Slowking has Slack Off to recover any damage Sigilyph may do to it. A specially defensive Drapion with Rest can usually beat any Sigilyph variant, as it will take any hit Sigilyph can throw at it (space) and Rest off the burns that Sigilyph tries to cripple it with. Other Pokemon with good special bulk such as Clefable and Cryogonal can take hits from offensive variants (space) but must be wary of Psyshock. Lanturn also makes a good counter to any offensive sets lacking Energy Ball thanks to its good special bulk and can hit Sigilyph with a super effective Thunderbolt. Dark-types, such as Absol or offensively oreinted oriented Drapion variants, are immune to Psychic and can usually nail Sigilyph very hard with their Dark STAB, but must be wary of Air Slash, which can effectively OHKO both of them after some entry hazard damage. Fire-types, such as Entei or Magmortar, can easily switch into the Cosmic Power set (space) and can hit Sigilyph hard with a strong Fire STAB. However, most Fire-types will not enjoy taking a hit from an offensively inclined Sigilyph. Fast Pokemon such as Cinccino and Aerodactyl can hit Sigilyph hard with Rock Blast or Stone Edge, respectively, while Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Rotom-C can outspeed and nail Sigilyph with a strong move. Hail staples such as Rotom-F and Glaceon can destroy Sigilyph with a super effective Blizzard, which it cannot take unless it has multiple Special Defense boosts. Powerful moves from Pokemon will usually deal out massive amounts of damage to Sigilyph, as its average bulk cannot usually keep it sturdy without any sort of boost.</p>
I suggest splitting the Checks and Counters section into two paragraphs for ease of reading. Try to pick a logical part. 'Lanturn also makes a good counter to any offensive sets lacking Energy Ball thanks to its good special bulk and can hit Sigilyph with a super effective Thunderbolt. </p> <p>Dark-types, such as Absol or offensively oriented Drapion variants, are immune to Psychic and can usually nail Sigilyph very hard with their Dark STAB,' seems okay, but you might disagree. Also, I think you messed up your find-replace for the spacing errors. ^^;

[gp]2/2~[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)