Quality Control Silvally-Steel (QC 0/2)

Oathkeeper

I always thought there was a spark between us!
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor

[OVERVIEW]

Silvally-Steel's unique niche in NU comes from being the only specially bulky defogger that can pivot. It can also handle one of the more common Stealth Rock setters in Diancie and the rare Gigalith, discouraging them from setting such entry hazards. It's also able to eat up STAB moves from common special wallbreakers like Exploud, Goodra, and Rotom-C. Unfortunately, since its item slot is taken up, it lacks any form of recovery and must rely on Wish passers like Vaporeon and Sylveon for this. Additionally, Silvally-Steel often finds itself pivoting out of many defensive threats in the tier like Mudsdale, Bronzong, Vaporeon, and Guzzlord, and thus can struggle to find opportunities to Defog as well.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Defog
move 2: Multi-Attack
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Parting Shot / U-turn
item: Steel Memory
ability: RKS System
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Details
====

Defog is best used once Pokemon like Mudsdale and Bronzong are out of commission, since both of them reliably set Stealth Rock on Silvally-Steel. Flamethrower hits opposing Steel-types like Copperajah, Doublade, Escavalier, and Bronzong as well as Rotom-C for decent damage. Parting Shot lets Silvally-Steel pivot on the aforementioned Mudsdale and Bronzong to bring in a wallbreaker and threaten them out. Alternatively, U-turn can be used instead to guarantee the pivot and avoid letting Pokemon like Xatu switch out and gain momentum. The given EV spread and a Jolly nature allows Silvally-Steel to outspeed Timid or Jolly base 80 Pokemon like Goodra and Braviary while the rest of the EVs go into maximizing special bulk.

Druddigon is a great partner to pair with Silvally-Steel to form a nice hazard core, since Druddigon hates Fairy-types like Diancie, Comfey, and Sylveon. In return, Druddigon can switch in on Fire-type moves for Silvally-Steel. Since Silvally-Steel lacks any kind of recovery, pairing it with Wish-passing partners like Vaporeon or Sylveon is appreciated to give it more longevity. Talonflame works as a partner to form a VoltTurn core with Silvally-Steel to lure in or pivot on Diancie. Fighting-types like Sirfetch'd, Machamp, and Passimian offensively pressure Silvally-Steel with their respective STAB moves. Therefore, having a partner like Comfey or Vileplume to eat up said moves is appreciated. Wallbreakers that can take advantage of Silvally-Steel luring in Mudsdale and Bronzong like Starmie and Decidueye work as great partners as well. Conversely, special wallbreakers with Fire- or Fighting-type coverage like Exploud and Goodra can be problematic for Silvally-Steel. A teammate like the aforementioned Talonflame or Diancie can switch into such moves.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

Swords Dance + Flame Charge lets Silvally-Steel function as a setup sweeper to go along with its decent Speed tier. However, common Pokemon in the tier like Bronzong, Mudsdale, and Vaporeon are just a few issues that prevent it from doing its job reliably. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe with a Jolly nature lets Silvally-Steel outspeed Jolly Tyrantrum can be viable, while a spread of 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe to outspeed Timid Exploud also works. Silvally-Steel can forgo Flamethrower for Rock Slide to nail Talonflame and Salazzle for decent damage, but it loses out on hitting opposing Steels. Silvally-Steel can also run another utility move like Toxic or Thunder Wave to cripple opposing teams.

Checks and Counters
====

**Fighting-types**: Close Combat from the likes of Sirfetch'd, Machamp, and Passimian offensively pressure Silvally-Steel and force it out.

**Stealth Rock setters**: Common Stealth Rock setters like Mudsdale, Bronzong, and Copperajah set up these hazards without any issues while also pressuring Silvally-Steel offensively.

**Fire and Fighting Coverage**: Special wallbreakers like Exploud and Goodra can carry coverage like Focus Blast or Fire Blast to nail Silvally-Steel.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Oathkeeper, 83980]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]

Last edited:

roxiee

Oh wow, I'm a princess.
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
amcheck

- I feel like U-turn should be a second slash with Parting Shot since Xatu is pretty standard and Parting Shot can be pretty antiproductive when facing it
- Silvally-Steel's unique niche in NU comes from being the only specially bulky defogger that can pivot while still maintaining some sense of offensive utility with Multi-Attack. [I feel like its Defog + Pivot compression should be mentioned especially in line one. I don't even think the Multi Attack point is needed because most "defensive" defoggers have to run their STAB (re: mantine/talonflame/comfey) and it's just straight-up walled by a lot of stuff but you just run it regardless because its STAB.]
- It can also handle one of the more common Stealth Rock setters in Diancie and the rare Gigalith, discouraging them from setting such entry hazards. It's also able to eat up STAB moves from common special wallbreakers like Exploud, Goodra, and Rotom-C. [I feel like putting the longevity line right after this line makes a lot of sense and it flows well.]
- Unfortunately, Silvally-Steel struggles to find opportunities to Defog due to Mudsdale and Bronzong being common Stealth Rock setters that have nothing to fear from it. [Well Silvally-Steel does invite these Pokemon in but its a compression mon as stated before, if Bronzong and Mudsdale tend to come in on Silvally-Steel, I'd personally pair this with like Xatu or even something like Specs-user (decid/rotom/starmie) and pivot as you're expecting the switch. I think saying something like Silvally-Steel is often forced to pivot out of many defensive Pokemon is a more universal term since that also accounts for like Vaporeon/Starmie/Guzzlord and many offensive and defensive Pokemon in the tier. Flamethrower is also a decent way to touch levitate Bronzong]

[Set]
Flamethrower hits opposing Steel-types like Copperajah, Escavalier, and Bronzong as well as Rotom-C and Doublade for decent damage. [Doublade is a Steel-type and its mentioned as if its a non-Steel-type in the examples alongside Rotom-C]

[OO]
Other bulky EV options like 266 Speed for Tyrantrum or 259 for exploud to generally help with spa atks. This point is more generalized and it just points out a customizable spread pmuch. Rocky Slide, Toxic, & Thunder Wave are notable Other Options aswell.

Oathkeeper

I always thought there was a spark between us!
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributor
amcheck

- I feel like U-turn should be a second slash with Parting Shot since Xatu is pretty standard and Parting Shot can be pretty antiproductive when facing it
- Silvally-Steel's unique niche in NU comes from being the only specially bulky defogger that can pivot while still maintaining some sense of offensive utility with Multi-Attack. [I feel like its Defog + Pivot compression should be mentioned especially in line one. I don't even think the Multi Attack point is needed because most "defensive" defoggers have to run their STAB (re: mantine/talonflame/comfey) and it's just straight-up walled by a lot of stuff but you just run it regardless because its STAB.]
- It can also handle one of the more common Stealth Rock setters in Diancie and the rare Gigalith, discouraging them from setting such entry hazards. It's also able to eat up STAB moves from common special wallbreakers like Exploud, Goodra, and Rotom-C. [I feel like putting the longevity line right after this line makes a lot of sense and it flows well.]
- Unfortunately, Silvally-Steel struggles to find opportunities to Defog due to Mudsdale and Bronzong being common Stealth Rock setters that have nothing to fear from it. [Well Silvally-Steel does invite these Pokemon in but its a compression mon as stated before, if Bronzong and Mudsdale tend to come in on Silvally-Steel, I'd personally pair this with like Xatu or even something like Specs-user (decid/rotom/starmie) and pivot as you're expecting the switch. I think saying something like Silvally-Steel is often forced to pivot out of many defensive Pokemon is a more universal term since that also accounts for like Vaporeon/Starmie/Guzzlord and many offensive and defensive Pokemon in the tier. Flamethrower is also a decent way to touch levitate Bronzong]

[Set]
Flamethrower hits opposing Steel-types like Copperajah, Escavalier, and Bronzong as well as Rotom-C and Doublade for decent damage. [Doublade is a Steel-type and its mentioned as if its a non-Steel-type in the examples alongside Rotom-C]

[OO]
Other bulky EV options like 266 Speed for Tyrantrum or 259 for exploud to generally help with spa atks. This point is more generalized and it just points out a customizable spread pmuch. Rocky Slide, Toxic, & Thunder Wave are notable Other Options aswell.
Implemented! Thanks =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)