Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread (FAQ in first post, read before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I saw somewhere that you could find hordes in ORAS with five different pokemon, I checked serebii but it only mentioned the usual five of a kind or 4/1 hordes. Does anyone know if/how/where it is possible to find these kinds of hordes?
There were a few videos floating around where hackers would force horde battles with various Pokemon, one absolutely ridiculous one featured a horde with Mega Mewtwo Y, Giratina, Hoopa (the big version)... and two other legends. You're probably thinking of that

Hey guys, new (casual playing) user here, but I figured you all would know what was going on more than anyone else. I'm currently BS-ing around in the Battle Maison in ORAS, and I switched out my Mega from my Sceptile to my Gardevoir. Now I'll fully admit that the Gardevoir isn't an optimized one at all, but I've been noticing that for some reason when I Mega-Evolve it, it doesn't seem to be nearly as powerful as it seems like it should be. Dazzling Gleam isn't one-shotting most dragons anymore when I try to hit multiple enemies, Moonblast only took out a third of a Slaking's HP, and its stupidly high Sp. Def doesn't seem to be doing anything to protect it even when it's not a super effective hit.

Am I just overestimating the power of my Mega-Gardevoir or is something else going on here?

EDIT: I also just ran into what I can only describe as either a glitch or the game cheating (stupid Maison), I just went up against a Kingdra that had just used its first use of Outrage. Knowing that Dragon attacks do nothing against Fairies I switched to my Gardevoir. All goes according to plan, but the next turn the Kingdra does not go into a third turn of Outrage but instead uses Protect. Now my Sceptile has never been able to de-rage himself regardless of whether or not he's hit something and he certainly has never been able to do so without getting confused, and the Kingdra never ate a berry either so I know that wasn't it. What just happened?

Last edited:
Hey guys, new (casual playing) user here, but I figured you all would know what was going on more than anyone else. I'm currently BS-ing around in the Battle Maison in ORAS, and I switched out my Mega from my Sceptile to my Gardevoir. Now I'll fully admit that the Gardevoir isn't an optimized one at all, but I've been noticing that for some reason when I Mega-Evolve it, it doesn't seem to be nearly as powerful as it seems like it should be. Dazzling Gleam isn't one-shotting most dragons anymore when I try to hit multiple enemies, Moonblast only took out a third of a Slaking's HP, and its stupidly high Sp. Def doesn't seem to be doing anything to protect it even when it's not a super effective hit.

Am I just overestimating the power of my Mega-Gardevoir or is something else going on here?

EDIT: I also just ran into what I can only describe as either a glitch or the game cheating (stupid Maison), I just went up against a Kingdra that had just used its first use of Outrage. Knowing that Dragon attacks do nothing against Fairies I switched to my Gardevoir. All goes according to plan, but the next turn the Kingdra does not go into a third turn of Outrage but instead uses Protect. Now my Sceptile has never been able to de-rage himself regardless of whether or not he's hit something and he certainly has never been able to do so without getting confused, and the Kingdra never ate a berry either so I know that wasn't it. What just happened?
Well moves that hit multiple enemies at once tend to be weakened when doing so, and Mega Gardevoir can make much better use of Hyper Voice thanks to Pixilate, but keep in mind that all opponents in the Battle Maison will max out their EVs between two or three stats. You should at least max out Gardevoir's Special Attack to hit as hard as possible.

As for the Kingdra, I'm pretty sure if the second turn of Outrage is blocked and it was intending to go for a third then it doesn't get stuck having to go for that third try or be confused. I could be wrong, though.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

How 'far from optimised' is it exactly? What nature is it? You could be using one that actually lowers Gardevoir's special attack stat. Do you know it's IVs and EVs? You may have a really low special attack IV or not enough EV investment to do much damage. One really important thing to remember is that in doubles, spread damage is reduced in power, so Dazzling Gleam won't be hitting at 80 BP like it would in singles. Speaking of Dazzling Gleam, you should swap it for Hyper Voice instead. It does the exact same thing (hits both opponents, not your partner), has a higher base power, and gets the Pixilate boost since it's a normal type move.

In short, make sure you have the right nature, IVs and EVs, and swap Dazzling Gleam for Hyper Voice

As for Kingdra's Outrage, Detective Barricade got it right, if you swap in a Fairy to render the move ineffective, the user will no longer be locked into the move, and they won't get confused due to the cycle being broken. This happened to me when using Dragonite in singles, if I wasn't able to use Outrage on the second move due to a fairy coming in or them using Protect, then I would no longer be locked into it

Stats when it's dropped to LVL 50 and Mega-Evolved are as follows, I suppose you can tell me how good or bad it is:
HP- 142
Att- 97 (irrelevant since I have no physical damage attacks)
Def- 102
Sp. Att- 187 (seems to be around the usual?)
Sp. Def- 158
Speed- 117 (probably could be better as far as I can tell but not terrible)

Stats when it's dropped to LVL 50 and Mega-Evolved are as follows, I suppose you can tell me how good or bad it is:
HP- 142
Att- 97 (irrelevant since I have no physical damage attacks)
Def- 102
Sp. Att- 187 (seems to be around the usual?)
Sp. Def- 158
Speed- 117 (probably could be better as far as I can tell but not terrible)
The thing about the Maison is that every stat is crucial. You're not just trying to get a few wins here and there, you're trying to win every single battle in a row, at least 50 if you're just trying to get a trophy, even more if you're trying to get a good streak.

These are the stats for a flawless Mega Gardevoir I got at level 50: 143 / 105 / 85 / 185 / 155 / 120 with a neutral nature.

As you can see, you obviously have some imperfect IVs and/or some wasted EVs. Your Sp Atk is hardly invested in at all, while you have a lot of wasted EVs in Defense. If your Gardevoir has flawless IVs, it's barely EV-trained at all.

If your Gardevoir is bred flawless, I suggest you re-EV-train it. If it isn't, you should breed a better one and EV-train it properly. And just in case you need to know, here is cant say's post on IVs and EVs. Your should probably train your Gardevoir to be 252 Sp Atk and 252 Speed (put the 4 in either Def or Sp Def, it's mostly just personal preference here, although you can run some calcs to see which is better maybe?), since I think you're using a full offensive set.

Anyway, good luck! If you need help something else, feel free to PM me :)

It seems that the reason for the unusually high defense is due to a Bold Nature, which I suppose is better than most anything else given that this is just my "first found play run" Gardevoir. All in all though my luck with natures has been absolute balls, I suppose I'll need to do a lot of farming to get one that's good then? Joy...

Also just as an aside but do characteristics ever come into play at all? I don't ever recall anyone mentioning them in these sorts of discussions, so I'm pretty sure they don't, but I just wanted to be sure.

It seems that the reason for the unusually high defense is due to a Bold Nature, which I suppose is better than most anything else given that this is just my "first found play run" Gardevoir. All in all though my luck with natures has been absolute balls, I suppose I'll need to do a lot of farming to get one that's good then? Joy...

Also just as an aside but do characteristics ever come into play at all? I don't ever recall anyone mentioning them in these sorts of discussions, so I'm pretty sure they don't, but I just wanted to be sure.
Get a lot of Dittos with different natures? Then all you'd need is one 6IV Ditto and you're set to breed.

Nope, characteristics are just to signify which IV is the highest on that Pokemon.

Grab a 6IV Ditto from Mostth3rd in the giveaway thread in the Wi-Fi subforum, and go DexNav Ralts with the ability Synchronize for everything but the neutral natures. (Bashful, Docile, Hardy, Quirky, Serious. You could DexNav Ditto to breed the right nature on anything you want if you've access to the Mirage Spot Ditto appears in) Synchronize gives you a 50% chance of the Pokemon you encounter having the same nature if the Pokemon with this ability is in the front. This may also help get a better IV'd Ralts to breed from since DexNaved Pokemon can have up to three perfect IV's of 31. It may take a little while, but it's worth it to breed better Pokemon (or soft reset legendary Pokemon if you haven't caught any other than the in-game Lati@s and Rayquaza already) to use in the Battle Maison. If you want further tips on doing well there, there's the Battle Maison discussion/records thread here in OI.

Like rufusdrumknott said, Characteristics just give a clue as to what the Pokemon's best stat might be. "Takes plenty of siestas", (HP) "Likes to thrash about", (Attack) "Capable of taking hits", (Defense) "Mischievous", (Special Attack) "Somewhat vain", (Special Defense) and "Alert to sounds" (Speed) are the ones you really want to see, as they may indicate a flawless stat. The IV judge in the Battle Resort's Pokemon Center can tell you your Pokemon's best stats and a vague rank of how good they are. ("Stats like these... They simply can't be beat!" is the best, being flawless. He'll also indicate any stats that have an IV of 0.)

There were a few videos floating around where hackers would force horde battles with various Pokemon, one absolutely ridiculous one featured a horde with Mega Mewtwo Y, Giratina, Hoopa (the big version)... and two other legends. You're probably thinking of that
No, it was all pokemon you would normally be able to encounter in the wild. What tricked me to belive it was legit was that it was a shiny hunting video and there was a horde counter which was at over 100, I just assumed that no one would ever hunt for shiny pokemon on a hacked game...

Fastest way to level up your pokemon?
(Ive heard of the secret base blissy method, but i can't get them to lvl 100.)
You get the Blisseys to be Level 100 by using the Level Release - looks sort of like a silver computer bank thing - in the respective base. It is the fastest way.

i tryed that, but the option is not there.
Once you get your own Level Release post-game, (after Delta Episode) you should be able to use the ones in others' bases. You could also level them up through Restaurant Le Wow in X/Y if you have another 3DS or PokeBank to transfer between the games. (Weather trio can't have their new moves if you want to transfer them to X/Y since those games don't recognize them)

If a female has four egg moves and a male has a fifth, different egg move, how are the offspring's moves chosen?

Fastest way to level up your pokemon?
(Ive heard of the secret base blissy method, but i can't get them to lvl 100.)
Elite four is a fine way to level up your pokemon and if you beat the battle Maison or beat a super boss you can rematch wally who has pokemon in the level 80s. Also there is the trainers you can constantly rematch.

My question regarding the the Legendary Pokemon: I already caught Ho-Oh at Sea Mauville today at the time of typing this up. I found the location of Trackless Forest, but I can't seem to find any of the legendary beasts inside the mysterious rings, despite having Ho-Oh in my party while doing this. Is it likely because I adjusted the time (which I did, by mistake)?

My question regarding the the Legendary Pokemon: I already caught Ho-Oh at Sea Mauville today at the time of typing this up. I found the location of Trackless Forest, but I can't seem to find any of the legendary beasts inside the mysterious rings, despite having Ho-Oh in my party while doing this. Is it likely because I adjusted the time (which I did, by mistake)?
Yes by adjusting the time you need to wait a whole 24 hours for a legendary to show up so don't mess with the time.

Does sliding on ice count as walking steps? Can I hatch eggs this way?
If the menu is unusable/unavailable at any point while moving, it doesn't count as steps taken. You might get just the initial step onto the ice but that's it in this case. I'd probably just bike around Battle Resort a few times until the egg is nearly ready to hatch (give or take a few hundred steps) then soar/fly to where I want to hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)