Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

there is one question that has been asked here before but I am going to ask it again because the answer was not at all clear:
how does terastylization react with adaptability?

the answer I have seen is "yOu jUsT mUlTiPlY tHe NuMbErS",WHAT NUMBERS?

normally STAB attacks have their power amplified by x1.5.
adaptability changes the multiplication with x2 instead of x1.5
the terastylization also changes the already existing STABS to x2 instead of 1.5.

so what numbers am I suppossed to multyply when a pokemon with adaptability makes a same-type tera and uses a stab move?
is it 1.5x2? is it 2x2? is it some different number?

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/terastallization-tiering-discussion.3711465/
the thread over there has a vague " If your "Tera type" is one of your STABs, then you get an additional boost akin to the ability Adaptability"
what is that boost?
(also that thread does not mention anywhere that in case of same type tera the boost is only x2 instead of 1.5x1.5=2.25)

there is one question that has been asked here before but I am going to ask it again because the answer was not at all clear:
how does terastylization react with adaptability?

the answer I have seen is "yOu jUsT mUlTiPlY tHe NuMbErS",WHAT NUMBERS?

normally STAB attacks have their power amplified by x1.5.
adaptability changes the multiplication with x2 instead of x1.5
the terastylization also changes the already existing STABS to x2 instead of 1.5.

so what numbers am I suppossed to multyply when a pokemon with adaptability makes a same-type tera and uses a stab move?
is it 1.5x2? is it 2x2? is it some different number?

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/terastallization-tiering-discussion.3711465/
the thread over there has a vague " If your "Tera type" is one of your STABs, then you get an additional boost akin to the ability Adaptability"
what is that boost?
(also that thread does not mention anywhere that in case of same type tera the boost is only x2 instead of 1.5x1.5=2.25)
The multiplier you need for Adaptability and Tera Stab boosts is 4/3. Usually it's written as a rounded decimal, ie 1.33. Given this rounding, 1.5*1.33=2.

Adaptability + Tera Stab gives a multiplier of 1.5*1.33*1.33=2.67, again rounded.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I have a few questions:
  1. Why is the move Scald has limited distribution in SV? I understand if offensive pokemon shouldn't have it, since they are troublesome on their own without Scald (e.g Keldeo, Iron Bundle). However, the problem would be then how would the defensive pokemon be able to play the role well? Defensive pokemon like Toxapex, Tapu Fini and Swampert are not known for their offensive prowess, so their water-type attacks wouldn't deal much damage to netural targets. I feel it's worse in doubles, where now water-type pokemon eiether have to use Surf (which hits the ally pokemon) or Hydro Pump (a move that has a chance to miss). Plus, I feel Scald will teach players that they shouldn't recklessly switch in. For example, Ferrothorn or Tapu Bulu would think twice before switching in Scald.
  2. Why is the move Knock Off has limited distribution in SV? The problem with Dark-Type pokemon that has physical attack is that they don't have high-power damage dealing moves, only having Crunch (80 BP) or Night Slash (70 BP). Buffing Knock Off was a good solution, as not only it buffed Dark Types (even when Fairy Types were running amok), but also it encourages players to ensure their pokemon keeps their items. For example, a lot of pokemon (e.g Charizard, Volcarona) relies on Heavy Duty Boots to not be hampered by Stealth Rock. However, because of the limited distribution of Knock Off, many Dark-Type pokemon's viability are likely to be lowered compared to the last gen (Krookodile and Bisharp). Weavile gets affected by the worst, since it only has the weak Night Slash (who also lost Triple Axel).
These were decided by Game Freak/The Pokemon Company and not by Smogon. They most likely don’t take 6v6 singles into account when deciding this and these moves probably don’t have the same impact in official formats like VGC. Plus, the reason is often that there's just less Pokémon able to give them with breeding/a removed move tutor. Doesn't depend on us and we need to adapt to these changes.

I have a question about Tera Types
If you catch a pokemon that has a double typing (e.g Gastrodon or Tyranitar) in the wild, what Tera Type would they have? Is it their primary typing, or it can be either type (e.g Gastrodon can have either the Water or Ground Tera Type)?
Also, if a pokemon has a single type (e.g Arcanine), its tera type would be said single type?

These were decided by Game Freak/The Pokemon Company and not by Smogon. They most likely don’t take 6v6 singles into account when deciding this and these moves probably don’t have the same impact in official formats like VGC. Plus, the reason is often that there's just less Pokémon able to give them with breeding/a removed move tutor. Doesn't depend on us and we need to adapt to these changes.
Yeah I know Game Freak removed them, it's not Smogon's fault. I just feel a bit confused and disappointed about the removal of Scald and Knock Off (the latter to be one of my favourite moves).
Thanks for letting me know.

If you catch a pokemon that has a double typing (e.g Gastrodon or Tyranitar) in the wild, what Tera Type would they have? Is it their primary typing, or it can be either type (e.g Gastrodon can have either the Water or Ground Tera Type)?
Also, if a pokemon has a single type (e.g Arcanine), its tera type would be said single type?
For dual-typed Pokémon it's generally a toss-up between the tera type it will have - the random aspect may favour the primary type, however. Someone else may have better research on this but for now, I assume it's random between what it can have.

Yes, single-typed Pokémon when encountered through traditional encounters will have a tera-typing of its original typing. Raids/Fixed Teras will have different typings.

This is probably better asked in the Orange Islands SV section as far as something for how in-game behaves on Spawns/Captures. This forum you usually find more people or answers knowledgeable about the match-ups for Pokemon that are battle-ready moreso than getting them (save for confirming availability and such)

are there any official or unoficial tournaments happening right now and asking for sign ups?

I tried to join a tournament a few day ago for the first time in my life and they didn't let me participate because too many people requested to join.

For dual-typed Pokémon it's generally a toss-up between the tera type it will have - the random aspect may favour the primary type, however. Someone else may have better research on this but for now, I assume it's random between what it can have.

Yes, single-typed Pokémon when encountered through traditional encounters will have a tera-typing of its original typing. Raids/Fixed Teras will have different typings.
I understand.
Thank you for your help.

What happens when Tri Attack with its 20% status effect (1/15 for para, burn, freeze) hits, say, an Electric/Limber Pokémon? Does it keep the 20% status but now with freeze and burn at 10% each, or does it simply remove the para option and have a 2/15 chance for the other two?

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
are there any official or unoficial tournaments happening right now and asking for sign ups?

I tried to join a tournament a few day ago for the first time in my life and they didn't let me participate because too many people requested to join.
Hey,

As of now there is only this draft tournament that takes signups. Official tournaments and circuits will start next year and there are no other unofficial tournament on signups phase.

Draft : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-custom-avatar-prize-450-prize-pool.3711963/

How to signup is written on the first post.

What happens when Tri Attack with its 20% status effect (1/15 for para, burn, freeze) hits, say, an Electric/Limber Pokémon? Does it keep the 20% status but now with freeze and burn at 10% each, or does it simply remove the para option and have a 2/15 chance for the other two?
Tri Attack doesn't take the target's status immunities into account when rolling. So if you get the 2/15 roll for a certain status and it's impossible for the target to be afflicted with that status, it will just have no effect.

Last edited:
In the Metagame Discussion thread, there was some discrepancy on how best to apply the X of Ruin abilities to the Showdown calculator until they're implemented. Specifically, when calculating for the Sword and Beads there looked to be confusion on what to multiply the base power of Chien-Pao / Chi-Yu's moves by to most accurately reproduce how much damage they'll do. One user said to multiply the move BP by 1.25x, and another later implied the more correct move BP multiplier is 1.33x. Which of these is more accurate to assess the power of Chien-Pao's and Chi-Yu's moves, or is there an even better way folks are utilizing?

I'm trying to see what EVs/items Iron Treads needs to withstand a fish Scarf Flamethrower, but this is just useful knowledge to have an exact answer for till those abilities work in the calc.
I wanted to circle back on this question, since I'm probably not the only one with it and I don't think it got an adequate answer. To be clear, I mean no offense to RajonRandom, as that method should work. That said, I'm sure it's not the most practical way to exactly calculate the effects of X of Ruin abilities. I just verified that the Showdown Calculator appears to not have it programed quite yet either, so it is still a relevant question.

What's the best way to calculate damage coming from Sword/Beads of Ruin users, and applicable damage going into Vessel/Tablets of Ruin users?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What are some good YouTube channels for improving at Gen 9 OU?
Pokeaim, Blunder, Freezai, and NathanLikesChicken. The first two constantly upload videos about laddering while the last two usually explains stuff. I mean, all four of them upload videos on both topics but the first two usually uploads more about playing the showdown matchmaking while the last two uploads more about explaining stuff. There's also Finchinator's youtube channel but he seems to do a balance of both topics. Either way, all of them can often give you insight into sv ou. Those five are the ones I can think off the top of my head anyway

What is the best spread for scizor choice band sets atm? Are people building towards bulky choice band like old school days (248 hp/252 atk/8 spdef or 252 atk/252 speed/4 spdef)? I don’t understand why max speed if that is the way to go since I am not understanding what to outspeed with it. Thank you.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What is the best spread for scizor choice band sets atm? Are people building towards bulky choice band like old school days (248 hp/252 atk/8 spdef or 252 atk/252 speed/4 spdef)? I don’t understand why max speed if that is the way to go since I am not understanding what to outspeed with it. Thank you.
Idk much about Band but as SD+Lorb user I run max speed to get ahead of rare speedy Magnezones (they never run timid) and Corviknight on some occasions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 4)