Singles Victim of the Week [Current Victim: Landorus-T] ~ VOTING ~

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Creeper3971, if only because bulky zapdos checks a bunch of other threats as well so it isn't a one-trick pony, although special sets are a problem

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pyritie is the winner! He will be logged in the Archive.

This week is one of the most versatile mons in Battle Spot

Garchomp!

Lets see some creative ways on how to check / counter this versatile mon

Vanilluxe @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 36 SpA / 116 Speed
Modest Nature
- Ice Shard
- Freeze Dry / Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Hidden Power Fire / Water / Fighting
- Water Pulse / Flash Cannon / Mirror Coat / Freeze Dry

This set preys on NON-STABBED Physical SE moves thrown at Vanilluxe. Moves such as Stone Edge activates both Weak Armor and Weakness Policy, turning Vanilluxe into a potential threat.

~ Can switch into a LO Chomp (252 Atk /252+ Speed), survives anything non crit thrown at it, triggers both Weak Armor and Weakness Policy (except if hit by draco meteor) and kills it right back by outspeeding the thing.
~ Survives a non-crit EQ and has a 50% chance of surviving an Outrage by Choice Band (252 atk+) chomp. Outspeeds it and kill it.

Counters a good amount of Garchomp sets except, maybe, if it runs sash and/or some adamant sets.
~Checks the majority of Garchomp sets.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats Pyritie! Let's see if you go for P2 again with this weeks victim hehe. On that topic, is it cool to nominate something again if it also checks/counters the new threat we're talking about? Because I'm tempted to nominate Sharpedo again haha. I don't think there should be a rule against it or anything but it makes the thread boring if you do so I would love to see some more interesting nominations.

As dominant as Garchomp is, there are several things that I can think of and want to nominate, but that's not allowed so I'm gonna go with....

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
Careful / Sassy Nature
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Mirror Coat
- Earthquake / Roar / Toxic

Garchomp is crazy versatile which makes it super annoying to scout and decide what will make the best check to it. This is, in my opinion, the most reliable defensive check to him. Not much can switch in on Chomp as it attacks as you risk being 2HKOd before being able to kill it (especially against Sash Chomp), Avalugg can switch in on any of Chomp's moves and retaliate appropriately. Avalanche demolishes Chomp, it even has a chance to OHKO if he doesn't attack you (ie: sets up Swords Dance). Recover allows you to stall Chomp out as none of its moves 2HKO (except fully special sets with Fire Blast but how many of those are out there?). Mirror Coat doesn't help so much with Chomp but is a great move on Avalugg regardless. The last slot is really up to what you want, Earthquake is great coverage and hits switch ins like Heatran and does nice damage to Blade Aegi (coz Avalugg is slow as balls), Roar messes up Swords Dance Chomp and any switch in they want to send out (I probably wouldn't keep my Chomp in on Avalugg, just sayin'), and Toxic is mentioned just coz... A fully physical defensive set can be used instead but loses the ability to check Chomp with Draco Meteor and/or Fire Blast. Rocky Helmet helps to break Chomps Sash, allowing a OHKO with Avalanche, Leftovers can be used instead if you just wanna stall stuff though.

• 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 6 Def Avalugg: 60-72 (29.7 - 35.6%) -- 25.8% chance to 3HKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 6 Def Avalugg: 51-61 (25.2 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 6 Def Avalugg: 68-82 (33.6 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 78-94 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This is pretty measly damage on Avalugg with a focus on special defence (the set I proposed). This was to better counter Chomps with Fire Blast as a coverage move. This however leaves it vulnerable to Band / Swords Dance Chomp as it can't properly switch in. You can easily remedy this by using a fully physical defensive spread
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 6 Def Avalugg: 91-108 (45 - 53.4%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 6 Def Avalugg: 102-120 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 72-85 (35.6 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 80-96 (39.6 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Chomp will probably switch out (if it isn't locked into Outrage) which is why I suggested Roar on the set, as it will mess up your opponents momentum (meaning that Hazards can viably be used).

If Chomp decides it wants to Swords Dance to get through Avalugg's defences then it has this coming:
  • 0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche (60BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 168-196 (91.3 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Meaning if Chomp tries to attack you on the next turn it will die to Rocky Helmet recoil while you Recover off the damage!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, time I posted here. Decided to skip Mega Salamence simply because the pool of good checks is just so small, but Garchomp is much easier to deal with thanks to a wider pool of checks. Here's my submission:

St. George (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere

Togekiss is a great answer to Garchomp on paper thanks to it's total immunity to both of Garchomp's STAB typings, Dragon and Ground - but most variants of Togekiss have a great deal of trouble with taking repeated hits from Garchomp's Rock coverage, being both slower than Garchomp and unable to retaliate effectively due to it's immunity to Thunder Wave. Bring on Choice Scarf Togekiss, which preys on Garchomp much more effectively than a paraflinch set ever could. The only way Garchomp could ever hope to outspeed this variant of Togekiss is with a Choice Scarf of it's own; however, this makes Garchomp far easier to exploit by both Togekiss and it's teammates, causing massive loss of momentum/life on the opponent's side of the field. Either way, Togekiss makes quick work of all Garchomp variants whilst avoiding the OHKO from any of Garchomp's moves, allowing it to flinch another day:

252+ SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 164-194 (89.1 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 125-148 (78.1 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Rock Tomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 94-112 (58.7 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Notice that the OHKO with Dazzling Gleam is only a fairly low chance, but after taking that much damage Garchomp is easily dispatching by anything that either carries priority or exists in a higher speed tier. Of course, this Togekiss variant has use elsewhere as well, as a speedy attacker and revenge killer, not to mention the utility that comes with Air Slash (you know the type of "utility" I'm talking about). Aura Sphere hits Steels like Heatran and Fire Blast nabs Aegislash, the main thing that Aura Sphere isn't capable of dealing with (it also hits Scizor but Togekiss isn't messing around with Bullet Punch ever). I'd probably consider this a check rather than a counter as Dazzling Gleam isn't an OHKO and the random Stone Edge is very scary indeed but with a teeny bit of prior damage, Togekiss is a guaranteed win button against Garchomp. n_n

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Return

So this thing is really great Garchomp check. Mostly since, unlike other offensive Pokemon, Lopunny does not have a problem with SashChomp, due to Fake Out. Although Lopunny cannot switch into Garchomp,if it gets a free switch Garchomp is sorta dead. CALCS:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 37-45 (20.1 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 184-220 (100 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 90-106 (64.2 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So defiantly a check, but a pretty good one

(It still says Mega Salamence)

Last edited:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 124 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Wanted to do something fun here. So yeah, specs lando-t. This is more of a check than a counter, depending on the set. Lando-T can switch in on almost every move from chomp except a banded Outrage. It's also immune to EQ which makes it a really nice switch in. Lando has U-Turn to keep momentum too, cause chomps will usually switch out when you bring in lando and get them at -1. Special Lando is also pretty unexpected, and HP ice nabs an ohko on standard chomps. So as a full on counter, this set is a bit iffy because you fear being 2hko'd by banded outrage but if they've revealed they aren't banded then lando is a pretty free switch in. But Lando is always a fantastic check, even if it's band chomp.

Here are some calcs :•)
124 SpA Choice Specs Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 184-220 (100 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-T: 60-72 (30.6 - 36.7%) -- 61.4% chance to 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-T: 78-94 (39.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-T: 135-160 (68.8 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
^^ If they SD on your switch ^^
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-T: 91-108 (46.4 - 55.1%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO
^^ Dont switch into this ^^ You can definitely check/revenge kill band chomp though.

Another cool thing about this set is that it can usually 2hko rotom-w, which is one of chomps most common teammates and one of lando's most common counters.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Congrats Pyritie! Let's see if you go for P2 again with this weeks victim hehe. On that topic, is it cool to nominate something again if it also checks/counters the new threat we're talking about? Because I'm tempted to nominate Sharpedo again haha. I don't think there should be a rule against it or anything but it makes the thread boring if you do so I would love to see some more interesting nominations.
There isn't a rule, but like you said it makes the thread a bit boring.
(btw Montsegur the OP says the victim is Salamence still)
Thanks for letting me know, I had the sprite up and completely forgot to put it in.

Looks like we've got some pretty cool submissions so far

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's a lot of overlap between Mega Mence and Garchomp counters imo, but I guess I'll suggest something new too.

upload_2015-2-2_9-12-9.png

Mega Slowbro@Nite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252HP / 252Def / 4SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

180 base defense is no joke, and it has enough special attack to OHKO with Ice Beam with no investment. With max defense investment, Jolly Earthquake cannot even 4HKO. Garchomp's most powerful offensive output (252+ Atk Banded Outrage) cannot 2HKO. Critical hits? Shell Armor!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 116 Def / 28 SpD / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

A set I made up for my mono-fairy team for a tournament on another site.
52 Spe outspeeds base 50's that dump 4 EVs in speed, 28 SpD is to survive modest volcarona's firey dance at +1 (yeah, kinda random I know), 116 Def survives strong hits -- for example, +1 diggersby return is a 2HKO, adamant max attack mega swampert waterfall in rain is a 3HKO, banded brave bird from talonflame is a 3HKO, etc. The rest is dumped in Atk, and the odd choice band makes it able to hit back hard.

60 Atk Choice Band Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 198-234 (108.1 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116+ Def Granbull: 58-69 (29.4 - 35%) -- 9.3% chance to 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Garchomp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 116+ Def Granbull: 62-74 (31.4 - 37.5%) -- 80.5% chance to 3HKO

Granbull's got a massive movepool so you can easily swap some moves around for other coverage that your team might need.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Ok lgi

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Recover

Prankster makes it possible for Sableye to use the all time annoying move Will-O-Wisp to lower any pokemon's attack with priority, in this case Garchomp, while at the same time being able to set up Calm Minds while using Recover for durability while chomp is weakened, making Sableye a wonderful pokemon to sustain damage both physical and special, and then just mega evolve to increase its defenses and deal even more damage.

Non Mega:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk burned Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 84-100 (27.6 - 32.8%) -- 80.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega:

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 121-144 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk burned Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 60-72 (19.7 - 23.6%) -- possible 5HKO

*+3 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 240-283 (67.2 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Non Mega:

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 255-300 (83.8 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band burned Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 127-150 (41.7 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega:

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 181-214 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band burned Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 90-107 (29.6 - 35.1%) -- 18% chance to 3HKO

*+4 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 288-340 (80.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

Non Mega:

252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 208-246 (68.4 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk burned Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 104-123 (34.2 - 40.4%) -- 41.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega:

252 Atk Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk burned Mega Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 74-87 (24.3 - 28.6%) -- 98.9% chance to 4HKO

*+3 4 SpA Mega Sableye Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Mega Garchomp: 220-259 (61.4 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

Last edited:
I was going to post Mega Audino as a check and counter to most of Garchomp's sets, but I can't seem to find a use for it other than that, so I'm just going to do a poke that's more traditional.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash / Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb / Rock Slide
- Icicle Spear / Endeavor
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Ice Shard / Icicle Crash

Alright, this is a pretty common check to Garchomp. It can just hit it Icicle Spear, since it's a OHKO, and it destroys Focus Sash variants as well. Rock Tomb is helpful to slow things down to finish off with an Earthquake, and it's a great move to check Charizard-Y and Talonflame, which is the reason why this Mamo could have a Focus Sash as an item. Scarfed Mamo takes out Charizard-Y with Rock Slide, but it doesn't check Talonflames who are at +2 already, so I prefer Sash Mamo. Icicle Spear takes out Garchomp right away, with no unreliability that Icicle Crash and Ice Shard give; Ice Shard gives Mamoswine a chance at OHKOing Garchomp, while Icicle Crash needs to be run with Ice Shard to take out Sashed Garchomp safely (Unless if it's Scarfed Mamo, it can just take it out with two Icicle Crashes). Stealth Rock is just great support for a team, but you can decide to run an attacking move if you don't need the support. Mega Garchomp is checked the same way as Garchomp is, just beware for the 2HKO Mamoswine might get on M-Garchomp with Icicle Spear if Scarfed, as Mega Garchomp has a chance to OHKO with a 252+ Outrage and a 252 Spa Draco Meteor.

Calcs:

Mamoswine:
252+ Atk Mamoswine Icicle Spear (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 200-240 (109.2 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 160-192 (87.4 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Icicle Spear (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 176-216 (96.1 - 118%) -- approx. 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 136-168 (74.3 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Garchomp:
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 123-145 (66.4 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 136-162 (73.5 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 157-186 (84.8 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

Imagine the image of derpsire in your mind. Anyway, Swords Dance variants are wasting their turn setting up. Using Recover, you can scout for Banded by just using recover and seeing how much damage you received. A Banded variant can then be played around granted you have teammates you can switch into the locked move and get something rolling from there as Ice Beam will not guarantee OHKO until after 2/5ths hp is whittled down and Quag is 2hko'd by Banded eq. Also, you may be able to pp stall eq depending on how favorable of a position you are in based on team matchup, number of pokemon remaining, etc. You can counter all sets except for Banded, where I just stated how you'd have to play vs it being a check.

Versus any other variant, Quagsire can Ice Beam Recover Ice Beam and it's gg for the Chomp. Not much to say other than opening my mouth wide in imitation of this Mon and yawning "Quag".
I guess I can mention how versus the 2nd and 3rd most common mons as well, Aegislash and Talonflame, it can go after Aegis and stab eq it while it's in blade form surviving any 1 attack and really not much to say about the Tflame 1v1 other than Quag is a check rather than a counter for Banded variants.

The Aegislash thing is very notable as that thing wrecks Slowbro and also Unaware is always dope and is very rare on a Pokemon.

Ares

And with that voting is now open! I'm super happy with the activity this thread is generating and there are a ton of good posts to choose from this week :D

Vanilluxe - Guilan
Avalugg - cantsay
Togekiss - ethan06
Mega Loppuny - HydreigonisOP
Landorus-Therian - NOVED
Mega Slowbro - DragonWhale
Granbull - Pyritie
Mega Sableye - Feliburn
Mamoswine - Creeper3971
Quagsire - GroudonEmpire

WOW 10 posts :OOOOOO

So many ppl to vote for, idk imma go with NOVED

Please post votes in bold and you can not vote for yourself

I'm going with NOVED because I like it when my opponents miss Focus Blast and complain about it. You do it to yourselves xD

Last edited:
NOVED is my vote. I have a quagsire breed that I use and its one from GroudonEmpire's set inspired by him x) A special Lando-T is original though :)

Creeper3971 because Mamoswine is a great pokemon against a Garchomp especially for the fact that it can live at least one hit from it even without sash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)