Siren's Song- A doubles team singing the song of 3 turns to demise

I've been playing around with Perish Song because its one of the most hilarious moves into the game to me. I've been trying out different variations and Pokémon. After about 100 battles on showdown, I had to axe Gengar from the list because the tough part is making it competitively viable, and the glass cannon just doesn't work in the current ruleset. So I turn to you smogon community! Here is what I have so far. I would love any suggestions and input. Thanks for checking this out!

The core singers in the group are Cursola and Lapras. The rest of the Pokémon are there to trap/stall giving time for the 3 turns to pass. I think I just about covered my typing for the team, leaving enough versatility in the other 4 Pokémon to live/disrupt the flow of battle. My biggest threats are going to be high speed sweepers that can bury the two singers quickly. Given the overwhelming presence of these types of Pokémon (mostly worried about prio moves), Indeedee (f) was/is a strong consideration as a replacement for Gothitelle. Trick Room didn't seem necessary because I want to stall and don't care when my moves land (provided I can survive) and would hopefully gain some ground vs TR teams because of the speed stats of this team. I'm not 100% confident in the held items on everyone either. The current setup allows for survivability, but it might not be ideal. I'm sure there are a lot of other factors I'm not considering but I'm happy with the rough draft so far. I just need to iron out some kinks and identify any major problems. PUNS INCOMING!

Cursola (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Perish Body
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlpool
- Strength Sap
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

The First Core-sola of the team. Having Perish Body eliminates the need to actually take a move slot with perish song, and should stand up to the Rillabooms of the world. As one of the leads (matchup depending) this lady will make an opponent think carefully on prio moves. It also provides mechanisms for trapping an opponent and forcing them to slow down the pace of the match with Whirlpool. Im not 100% sure the EV spread is enough to absorb hits effectively but I gave it leftovers to help heal off some of the damage received and can switch her out before the song takes her down with the ship and opt to put in an ally to switch her back in play once damage is done.

Lapras (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Perish Song
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Nessy is my other core. Shell be able to take a hit and sing her mysterious song of doom. Ice/water typing allows her to handle some of the more popular types of pokemon in the meta. The rocky helmet is there to make the opponent think for a second. The chip damage is great but it makes for a moment of hesitation once the strategy is revealed. That moment is critical simply because two obvious options are attack Lapras to try and remove the threat or switch out to avoid consequences of the song. There really isn’t a wrong answer but attack on Lapras could be redirected and a hit will cause a sting. A swap will make the person loose an attack needed to stop the music maker. Oh Nessy you mysterious monster.

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Pollen Puff
- Spore
- Protect

There is a foongus amoonguss! A key component to stall out and disrupt opponents. Rage powder to redirect attacks for switch ins and to bait turns. Spore naps and Pollen heals will direct focus. Her build is designed to have opponents tripping over themselves as they try to deal with the core. Who needs Trick Room when you can have Mushroom!

Gothitelle (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 131 Def / 125 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Ally Switch
- Protect

What Siren song is complete without a goth girl telling a story so unbelievable it makes the listener flinch. Fake out for the prio to make sure the song is heard. Ally switch to make sure hits land on cursola or move around poke-sitions. Helping Hand is there to boost its current partner and protect is to stall. Like all Goth Girls this one is dark and mysterious (despite the meta build everyone knows about) but her role is to provides critical support in stalling out the fight and helping allies get the job done.

Incineroar (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Parting Shot

Scary cat serves a similar role to Gothitelle. Prio with Fakeout to buy a hit. Parting shot to swap out for a singer or to remove song effects on Incineroar. I wanted him to be able to take a hit and dish out damage if needed but an argument can 100% be made to swap Darkest Lariat out for snarl. I’m on the fence about having the punch from DL or the Stat effects of Snarl. I can see benefits to both, but I will be happy to hear suggestions.

Togekiss (F) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Togekiss is the Fairy/flyer pretending to be a mushroom. She serves the same purpose as the mushroom but has the added benefit of different typing. Throw a little helping had in there and she might as well be the goth girl on shrooms. Supports are crucial to this team but ill be honest this one is to-get-kisses from the enemy as they fall to the song.

There are some very viable suggestions for swaps on the line up. And I would love to hear/discuss them as playing around with this lineup is my new favorite thing. Any input on held items or different EV spreads would be amazing as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Why did you choose this mon
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it
What are all 4 moves for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)