SM OU Sky High Balance With Gliscor

gliscor.gif
gastrodon.gif
heatran.gif
zapdos.gif
tangrowth.gif
greninja-ash.gif

A team I have been laddering with recently and it seems to work out fairly nicely but I want your guys feedback and without further ado lets get into this.

gliscor.gif

Sky High (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Gliscor the star of my team. With an amazing ability, reliable recovery in Roost and Poison Heal, and being able to setup are all factors that make this Pokemon so good. 176 Speed EVS with a Jolly Nature ensures outspeeding Timid Tapu Fini, Adamant Zygarde, and more. 244 HP EVS are to maximize the amount of health returned each turn by Poison Heal. 44 Defense EVS are for its bulk and the Attack EVS are to increase the amount of damage it does.

gastrodon.gif

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastronomy though being in a bit of a tough spot right now since more counters for it are appearing after its rise such as Energy Ball Zam. Even so Gastrodon is a great pokemon. It can live 3 Ash-Gren Dark Pulses as long as it isn't chipped. It can also wall Koko with no Grass Knot and Heatran. With reliable recovery in Recover Gastrodon can spam that and be annoying to deal with as well as Toxic which can wear down walls like Tangrowth if you don't switch out. With Scale for Burns and good damage on ground types like Lando T and EQ for the likes of Koko and Tran.

heatran.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hestran was the next mon. Heatran can be amazing at being a Utility Mon and it can also lure in common threats such as Zygarde and make a double into Gastrodon which walls Garde most of the times. Gliscor and Gastrodon both have 4X weaknesses to both Grass and Ice. Heatran has a 4X resistance to both. I used Flash Cannon over Earth Power since I have 2 mins that can spam EQ in both Gliscor and Gastrodon.

zapdos.gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Kartana can wreak havoc on my team if it is any Z Move and if my Gliscor is weakened. So the next mon I decided to use was Defensive Zapdos. This can deal with a Kartana sweep with Heat Wave as well as being a Defoger. And with reliable recovery in Roost and an annoying move in Dishcarge to slow threats for Gliscor Zapdos is a great addition to the team.

tangrowth.gif

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

My special wall that breaks through and walls Ash Gren and Tapu Koko it can also beat Zygarde and Landorus T if they stay in with HP Ice. I chose HP Ice over HP Fire since I had a Heatran and a Zapdos. This did leave me vulnerable to SD or Curse Mega Scizor but I figured I could play around it.

greninja-ash.gif

Greninja (M) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse

Last but not least we have Ash Gren. Ash Gren with Water Z still hits hard and can beat lots of the metagame including Lando T and Zygarde and more. U Turn is there for purely momentum and being able to hit Dark Types who resist his Dark STAB hard.
Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/1b5b3ba08398898d edit: Gren should be male
Conclusion: I built this team and am hoping for some good feedback. Thanks Mystical :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey MysitclaHaze, very nice team. Gliscor is a great sweeper in the current meta and is helped by the fact that Heatran and Clefable are very common as it can use them as setup fodder.

Although the team still has a couple of noticeable weaknesses. So I'll mention them briefly and then suggest changes to hopefully improve the team.

Threats to the team:

381-m.png: Strong and bulky Psychic types can be hard for the team to deal with. M-Latios being both of those and usually being ran as a Heatran answer makes it very threatening. Heatran gets KOd by Earthquake, Gliscor by Ice Beam and Greninja can't switch into multiple Earthquakes, especially if rocks are up. M-Latias is similarly threatening, but I mentioned Latios as he is alot stronger.

637.png: Volcarona, while not super common can sweep the team once Gastrodon is a little weakened. They pretty much all use HP Ground as Heatran is so common. +1 Fire Blast OHKOs Gliscor most of the time and it can't OHKO back anyway. Volcarona can setup on Tangrowth and Zapdos with little-to-no risk and proceed to sweep.

Major Changes

461.png> 658-a.png: Firstly, I suggest using Banded Weavile over Greninja. Weavile gives you slightly better, instant speed control and strong priority in Ice Shard. It also gives you a pursuit trapper, to trap bulky psychic types such as the M-Latis and Reuniclus. This will make it easier for Gliscor aswell since alot of teams use the M-Latis as their Gliscor check. Choice Banded Knock Off is very spammable to remove something like Clefable's Leftovers or Toxapex's Black Sludge.

748.png > 423.png: Next I suggest using Toxapex with a Payapa berry over Gastrodon. This gives you one of the best Volcarona answers. Thanks to the berry it can take a +1 Psychic attack and Haze, Recover, then Toxic to stop the sweep. It's still a great backup for Greninja aswell. You already have Tangrowth as a good Koko answer so Gastrodon didn't seem necessary to me. The spread allows you to take a HJK into Zen Headbutt from Medicham and a Shattered Psyche from Tapu Lele if you want to Toxic them.

Minor Changes

472.png Small spread change: The stanard Gliscor spread uses 152 Speed to outpace Adamant Zygarde. Tapu Fini isn't very common and usually doesn't run Max Speed with Timid anyway. The rest is dumped into SpDef instead of Atk, this is to help take hits from Heatran better which is the most important thing for Gliscor.

485.pngEarth Power > Flash Cannon, Will-o-Wisp > Toxic [optional]: Lastly I suggest you use Earth Power on Heatran over Flash Cannon as it allows you to hit opposing Heatran and Toxapex for decent damage. It's also just a reliable move to hit most steel types such as Magnezone and Magearna if you don't need to risk or waste Magma Storms. Then an optional change in Will-o-Wisp over Toxic to cripple Zygarde, Gliscor and Tyranitar, and to help beat M-Mawile if you're in range of Sucker Punch.

~~~~

This was a very fun team to rate. It still has it's weaknesses as all teams do, but the changes should help improve your matchup while keeping and improving the focus of a Gliscor sweep.

Below I'll leave an Importable of the new team along with a couple of threats to be cautious of. Good luck :]
308-m.png: M-Medicham is a threat to most teams as its very high power can't usually be contained. Zapdos and Gliscor get nailed by Ice Punch, Toxapex can take a hit thanks to its berry and Toxic it but after that it can't do much. Once Medicham is low enough however, Weavile can attempt to trap it.

646-b.png: Kyurem-B isn't very common, but is really tough to beat if you do happen to face it. Try to get in Toxapex on an Ice Beam, go for Toxic, and then switch around from there to weaken it. You should be able to get it in range of Weavile, but it probably would've done alot of damage before that.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 68 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Weavile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

I totally agree with DKM but I just want to change a little thing about heatran set: Z fire with 252spatk/4spdef/252spe for dealing with stall team better. And I add one more mon to the threatlist mega medicham. After wealive or greninja is fainted, medicham will mash ur team into piece. Btw great team. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)