Slaking
HP: 150
ATK: 160
DEF: 100
SpATK: 95
SpDEF: 65
SPEED: 100

Ability: Truant​

People look at this gorilla's base stats and they start to freak out. Base 150 HP!? Base 160 Attack!? Base 100 Speed!? Then they look at his ability and toss him in the NU trash. Either with Giga Impact or Retaliate you can cause a lot of havoc in the 5th gen UU metagame against most threats.

Slaking @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Leftovers
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
- Giga Impact/Retaliate
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute/Substitute/Slack Off/Rest/Counter/Focus Punch
- Slack Off/Substitute/Slack Off/Rest/Counter/Focus Punch
EVs with CS: 252 atk/252 spe/4 HP
EVs with CB/Leftovers: 252 atk/252 HP/ 4 Spe

Focus Punch can be used if are good at predicting switches to steels. Sucker Punch deals with Ghosts. Giga Impact destroys most threats. Substitute, Rest and Slack Off can be used to stall or even tank to a small degree.

If you want to switch out after attacking go with Retaliate over Giga Impact. If you use Retaliate after a teammate is KO'd and you factor in STAB the BP rises to 210. Giga Impact is just 15 base power higher with STAB.

Giga Impact/Retaliate can OHKO most offensive threats that don't resist it. Bisharp for example is a 2HKO if it has 252 in HP. Pokemon like Aerodactyl are OHKO'd however. Retaliate on Slaking is useful because most of the time when a teammate is KO'd it is because of an offensive pokemon unless you threw in death fodder towards a tank.

Slaking can be really useful in specific roles, but he has a few shortcomings. He cannot switch out after using Giga Impact, but he can if he uses Retaliate. His ability also causes him to wait a turn after using any move, which makes it hard to Tank or Stall with him at all. He is also weak to Mach Punch, but outside of OU he doesn't have many powerful mach punch users to be worried about, except for Iron Fist Hitmonchan.

(made changes to remove the mention of being able to switch out after using Giga Impact because it has been proven to be false here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3004772&postcount=1)

The only STAB attack Slaking should carry is Giga impact, now that gen5 mechanics allow you to switch on the recharge turn, this being the main improvent he received (team preview too to a lesser extent). Also mention Focus Punch, it's amazing for predicting switches to Steels.

Have you tested this poke? Is it viable in UU even at the slightest?

The only STAB attack Slaking should carry is Giga impact, now that gen5 mechanics allow you to switch on the recharge turn, this being the main improvent he received (team preview too to a lesser extent). Also mention Focus Punch, it's amazing for predicting switches to Steels.

Have you tested this poke? Is it viable in UU even at the slightest?
running damage calcs currently. Ive seen it used and its a monster, but it may not be so monstrous against stall teams.

I removed the mentions of Retaliate since Giga Impact is better than it used to be.

I'm not sure where you heard that Giga Impact, and by inclusion all recharge-moves' mechanics were changed, but I can find no evidence to support this. I have tested this myself on PO, and unless this is a bug, after Slaking uses Giga Impact it still requires him to stay in and recharge.

I'm not sure where you heard that Giga Impact, and by inclusion all recharge-moves' mechanics were changed, but I can find no evidence to support this. I have tested this myself on PO, and unless this is a bug, after Slaking uses Giga Impact it still requires him to stay in and recharge.
test it ingame. Vladimir is the one that told me that the mechanic was changed, but Im not too sure.

That Giga Impact switch out statement/theory was busted here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3004772&postcount=1

test it ingame. Vladimir is the one that told me that the mechanic was changed, but Im not too sure.

made changes to remove the mention of being able to switch out after using Giga Impact, some say you can now in 5th gen but until proven I will not state it
I'll test it. Also, Slaking is a sloth, not a gorilla.

I'll test it. Also, Slaking is a sloth, not a gorilla.
He looks almost exactly like a gorilla. To me he seems to be based off of how Gorillas are extremely powerful but they are also very lazy and docile unless provoked.

He looks almost exactly like a gorilla. To me he seems to be based off of how Gorillas are extremely powerful but they are also very lazy and docile unless provoked.

I guess. And, test results:

Eigakan Arceus vs. Roggenrola

Arceus used Roar of Time!
Roggenrola's Sturdy
The wild Roggenrola used Headbutt!
(Doesn't give me any options to do anything here)
Arceus has to recharge!
The wild Roggenrola used Tackle!

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I also tried the Giga Impact but it didn't let me do anything. I had to stay in and recharge.

Also he is a sloth. ;)

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slaking is a good Pokemon it can OHKO Emboar.

But I don't know about Durant so I'm not that sure... those high defenses...

Also lol at the slashes.

Slaking is a good Pokemon it can OHKO Emboar.

But I don't know about Durant so I'm not that sure... those high defenses...

Also lol at the slashes.
I love how most people around the UU section make fun of me for liking the odd ball gimmicky pokemon.

There are many slashes because there are a lot of options for Slaking's Retaliate moveset.

I love how most people around the UU section make fun of me for liking the odd ball gimmicky pokemon.

There are many slashes because there are a lot of options for Slaking's Retaliate moveset.
Mismagius and pretty much the other ghosts says hi - sucker punch won't be of much use given that the ghost types in UU tend to either A) hide behind a sub or B) fire WoW so your sucker punch won't be much of a threat. Heck even better for them is to just switch in on your attack and hide behind a sub when truant kicks in the next turn - no sane player would bother attacking Slaking first when they can set up on him thanks to his ability. Then you have steel types so~ List can easily go on... I don't think people are making fun of you as much as pointing out that you really need to think these things through before posting. Just because you were swept by a similar set doesn't necessarily mean that it was an effective set - in the same way that I wouldn't consider just because I managed to sweep with one set won't mean that it is a great set or for that matter with regard to the pokemon a genuine threat.

Edit: Also gimicks aren't bad per se just that these aren't exactly very good ones either.

Adding that this thread would be just as bad as the Glalie thread since basically there really isn't much to discuss Slaking hasn't changed much retaliate doesn't exactly change the way he's played. Only thing that has possibly changed for him is in doubles thanks to mummy removing truant but that has been discussed already so pretty much I don't see this thread offering anything new. If anything he's in an even worse position thanks to all the powerhouses currently running around UU - and none of them have a hindering ability save Archeops.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you think a Pokemon with Truant can run a bulky set with recovery moves such as Rest, or Focus Punch; even though it's completely walled by anything that has Substitute, or is a Ghost-type, or is a Steel-type, or is a bulky Rock-type, then I'm sorry dude!

If you think a Pokemon with Truant can run a bulky set with recovery moves such as Rest, or Focus Punch; even though it's completely walled by anything that has Substitute, or is a Ghost-type, or is a Steel-type, or is a bulky Rock-type, then I'm sorry dude!
Focus Punch is for predicting Steel types to switch in.

What do you honestly expect from an extremely odd ball lazy pokemon? Really the main part of this set is the Retaliate gimmick. THe other moves were added as icing to the really dry cake.

In Ou, the Slaking + Cofagrigus combo wasn't worth the extra effort to make it happen, and Cofagrigus wasn't really that good. But in UU, Cofagrigus is a great staller, and if Slaking loses its Truant, it will completely destroy.

Why would you use anything else than Mummy + Pursuit Combo? since even if you revenge you give a free set up turn to whatever that wants to come and ruin your fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)