Slaying Da Artz

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Hey there! If you're here on this thread, I sure as hell have no idea why, because who wants to see my art? Anyways, I suppose you can call this the place in which I will be gradually learning/getting better at how to art using Paint Tool SAI, which I learned about courtesy of faxxifer. It's typically just gonna be basic Pokemon at first, since I'm not of high enough caliber to do the complicated things I've seen done elsewhere, nor do I have the creativity required. Anyways, enough of this rambling, on to the art. (Brace your eyes kids, it's horrible.)

This was my first work of art using SAI, and I was trying to freehand it with the mouse. It obviously didn't end very well, but it was comical enough in my eyes to keep as something to look back upon and compare my growth.

My second attempt at art on SAI ended with a weird plant thing. This also marked my first shot at shading, so it's a bit... iffy, so to say. However, I loved the little plant thing, as it was the WiFi room representative in the Pokemon Showdown Premier League, and it grew on me. (I shortly after made a RMT based on what I used during that tour, and this was sadly the cover picture of it.)

Eventually, I learned that lineart was a thing, and that it was SOOO much better and smoother than my previous attempts. As such, I dedicated a good deal of free time to working on my most recent piece, which actually turned out nicer than I had originally hoped.

I am aware that the positioning is weird, especially in the case of Pawniard, but I plan to use this picture in my next RMT and I would love it to have a 'team' vibe, if anything.

While I'm still not entirely sold on this piece, I like is much more than previously ones I've made. I tried playing around with the weight tool a bit on the Hydreigon, but by the time I had remembered about it, I had finished and broke Cleffa. Outside of that, I am aware that the torch is casting no light, nor is the lava, but I didn't trust in my shading skills enough yet to attempt it. As I get more comfortable with art, I'll work on it definitely.

Anyways, that's all I have for now, but I'm certain to add more as time goes on and I get more involved in art. I also appreciate and value all forms of criticism and feedback, since I'm still trying to learn and develop my artistic 'skills', if they can be called that.

Oh, I guess I can take requests too.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

I am reserving this for projects and things and stuffs. Don't judge, don't hate, only appreciate.

Cleffa charging into battle against a spooky dragon. (Probs Hydreigon, we see later) DONE (Well, kinda)

Mega Pidgeot (details to be added randomly as it goes on) - nov

Last edited:
I dont think your positioning is too weird on your rotom/garb/pawniard pick. And the line art is much better (not that I'm an expert on lineart by any means).

If you're taking requests, I'd love to see a Mega Pigeot! There's no rush though, feel free to finsih your cleffa project first! It sounds pretty funny and cool!

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I like that Shuckle image the most, as it has more variety within the lineart when it comes to the thickness of the strokes, it creates a better impression that it has been drawn and not just outlined. In comparison, the Garbodor & Co doesn't seem as 'alive', if you will', since the strokes that details its trash spots and split garbage bag are just as thick as the main outline of its body, making it look flat. Kudos to you for trying out more dynamic stances and such, but while you seemed to have improved in some sense about the linart, I also felt you had stepped back in other regards, so I felt like pointing it out.

The mouse is generally also a very bad option to draw digitally with, as tablets allow you to make just careful movements like with a real pen. But then again, other people have been successful with the tools they've been given, so if you can advance in this medium, then all the more kudos to you. Welcome to the studio!

slayerx725232

Personally, I like that Shuckle image the most, as it has more variety within the lineart when it comes to the thickness of the strokes, it creates a better impression that it has been drawn and not just outlined. In comparison, the Garbodor & Co doesn't seem as 'alive', if you will', since the strokes that details its trash spots and split garbage bag are just as thick as the main outline of its body, making it look flat. Kudos to you for trying out more dynamic stances and such, but while you seemed to have improved in some sense about the linart, I also felt you had stepped back in other regards, so I felt like pointing it out.

The mouse is generally also a very bad option to draw digitally with, as tablets allow you to make just careful movements like with a real pen. But then again, other people have been successful with the tools they've been given, so if you can advance in this medium, then all the more kudos to you. Welcome to the studio!
Thanks a ton for both the feedback and the warm welcome. Maybe the reason I am not a big fan of the non lineart ones is because I prefer some neatness, which I can rarely achieve with a free drawing mouse. Also, I am aware of the lesser quality of the mouse opposed to a tablet or things of that nature, but seeing as I am a high school student who has no job as of right now alongside other things I need to focus of financing, I'll have to put off on a drawing tablet. Maybe one day though. Anyways, thanks once again for the kind words.

I'll have to put off on a drawing tablet. Maybe one day though.
Not using a tablet is fine. Its essentially the equivalent of finger painting in the real world as opposed to using brushes. While painting with a tablet is by and large easier, fantastic art is still possible no matter what you're using. With a mouse, line art is very difficult, and normally ends up looking very sketchy and rough. I know from first hand experience in Sai that you can make some pretty awesome stuff using very sketchy and rough outlines. The key, I think, on Sai, is the paint job. If you do a good paint job, you can get away with friken murder. Try playing around with the air brush and the water color tool in Sai making sure to use low densities and building up to the colors you want to get all the shading just right. If you nail that, you'll have a solid piece no matter what.

Last edited:

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Utilizing the "vector" or linework options in Sai is one way you could go about doing mouse-based work. Hell it's the way I started before I got a drawing tablet, as Bummer said, your lineart has improved however it seems flat. The amazing thing about Sai's linework functions is the ability to adjust the line weight to give the impression of pen strokes. It gives your lines alot more depth and definitely more aesthetically pleasing :] other than that, awesome job, can't wait to see what else is in store!

slayerx725232

So after a bit of internal debate and conflicting time schedules, I finally managed to finish up a nice little piece that didn't turn out how I originally wanted it to.

While I'm still not entirely sold on this piece, I like is much more than previously ones I've made. I tried playing around with the weight tool a bit on the Hydreigon, but by the time I had remembered about it, I had finished and broke Cleffa. Outside of that, I am aware that the torch is casting no light, nor is the lava, but I didn't trust in my shading skills enough yet to attempt it. As I get more comfortable with art, I'll work on it definitely.

slayerx725232

Well shit, I'm finally 'back' here I guess after a long stretch of being too busy to have free time. Anyways, I (albeit hastily) completed the Mega Pidgeot nov though I feel like it was way too half-assed though I really can't ever find time to fix it. RIP.

w-wut even is dis?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)