SM UU Slow and Steady Wins the Race (Trick Room Team)

How Good is Trick Room to You?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello, it's me again with yet another RMT. I have been so excited for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon since it was announced, and now that it's been out for a few months, I feel like now would be the time for an RMT once again, this time for USUM. UU has always been a tier I've enjoyed, and in USUM, it's better than ever. In particular, one of my favorite mons in the tier now is Stakataka. Since Stakataka is now in the tier, what better way to use it than to use a Trick Room team? Now before I continue, I know that Trick Room has been done in this tier many times before, however Stakataka's presence has just made Trick Room so much more viable in UU than ever before. This is a team I've used ever since Stakataka dropped to UU, and refined to its current state. So without further ado, here's my team.

stakataka.png

Ah, Stakataka, how could a Trick Room team be without you? Not much needs to be said about it, it's powerful, it's bulky, and it's slow as molasses. This is the reason this team, and probably Trick Room in UU as a whole is as effective as it is now.
stakataka.png
uxie.png

Uxie was added because of its role as a lead. Getting both Trick Room and Stealth Rock makes it the premier Trick Room lead for all Trick Room teams whatever tier it's in.
stakataka.png
uxie.png
cresselia.png

Why wouldn't I include Cresselia? It's easily the bulkiest mon in UU, has an okay typing and moves to abuse that bulk, and a great move to help out its friends on its team. One of, if not the best Trick Room setter in the game.
stakataka.png
uxie.png
cresselia.png
Marowak_de_Alola_icon.png

Marowak is in my eyes one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, if not the best, just because of how absurdly powerful it is thanks to its signature Thick Club. It's biggest weakness is its terrible Speed, making it almost useless vs just about any offensively based team. However, we have Trick Room, and with Trick Room, Marowak goes from slow to speed demon for 4 turns, making it a monster to face for most teams.
stakataka.png
uxie.png
cresselia.png
azumarill.png

I was considering Crawdaunt for this slot, but I decided on Azumarill for a good reason. First of all, Water/Fairy is a great offensive and defensive typing. Second, Huge Power lets it outdamage Crawdaunt in some regards, making breaking walls much easier. Third, Belly Drum. Nuff said.
stakataka.png
uxie.png
cresselia.png
azumarill.png
vikavolt.png

This is the mon I know most of you are gonna kill me over, but I feel as if it fits this team the most over another offensive mon. It's Bug/Electric type lets it take more hits from some threats to Trick Room teams, like Scizor, as well as being able to hold an item on top of its already great power, which is why I'm using it over another Trick Room sweeper.
stakataka.png
uxie.png
porygon2.png
azumarill.png
vikavolt.png

I ended up replacing Cresselia with Porygon2, mainly for the reason that I felt like Cresselia wasn't doing very much. It only set up Trick Room and never clicked any other move, and got weakened very quickly with all of the hits it was taking, on top of being threatened out by basically every relatively strong Pokemon due to having no form of offensive presence. With a much better defensive typing and Eviolite on top of having a pretty good Special Attack stat, Porygon2 made a fine replacement for my duck friend.

The Team:

stakataka fanart.jpg

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Stakataka is really good. The main idea with it is click Trick Room, then press buttons and kill things. I have Earthquake on this Stakataka in order to hit things like Tentacruel and Klefki harder, and to avoid any Attack drops from Superpower. Other than that, everything else is pretty much standard. For anyone who doesn't know, the IVs are set to 15 in Defense with a Lonely Nature in order to get an Attack boost from Beast Boost. Although Rock/Steel is garbage defensively, it's not the worst offensively, hitting Flying, Fire, Bug, Ice, Rock, and Fairy types super effectively. Overall just a great mon and the posterboy for Trick Room teams in UU this gen.

uxie fanart.jpg

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento

Easily the best Trick Room lead in the game, Uxie does what Uxie does best. Trick Room and Stealth Rock are mandatory moves and don't need explaining. Magic Coat prevents hazard stacking and forces 50/50s with sleep inducers like Breloom, as well as stop double Taunts from mons like Hydreigon, or whatever uses Taunt in this meta. Memento allows Uxie to cripple opposing attackers, allowing a mon to come on basically for free. The EVs are designed to always survive Specs Chandelure's Shadow Ball from full and guarantee a Trick Room against it. The rest is put into Defense to take physical hits better.

porygon2 fanart.png

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Porygon2 is one of my favorite mons. It has amazing bulk with Eviolite, combined with a decent defensive typing of pure Normal turns it into a defensive juggernaut that takes hits for days. And what better way to use it than on a Trick Room team. I decided to go with a defensive set because an offensive set simply doesn't fit with the mons I have for this team, along with the fact that it's probably much better than an offensive set in terms of consistently setting Trick Room. The set is basically standard defensive Porygon2 with Trick Room over Toxic.

marowak-alola fanart.jpg

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Low Kick

Marowak-Alola is simply amazing. Amazing offensive type, very powerful moves, and very slow. I see no reason to not use it on a Trick Room team in this tier, just because of how good it is under Trick Room. It also notably sets up on Scizor, one of the best mons in the tier. Speaking of setting up, a Swords Dance boosted Marowak is one of the scariest things you could ever face. Notably, it has a chance to OKHO standard Alomomola after Stealth Rock damage with Shadow Bone after a Swords Dance. The set listed is the standard Trick Room set, with Low Kick replacing Bonemerang/Earthquake in order to OKHO Hydreigon and Stakataka even without a boost. (Fun fact: I was planning to run Brick Break in order to beat Veil teams lol)

azumarill fanart.jpg

Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Azumarill is my secondary sweeper of choice for this team. Huge Power + Belly Drum = death to everything that gets in its way, no exceptions. Crawdaunt got nothing on the real physical Water sweeper Azu. The moveset is the standard Belly Drum set, with a Sitrus Berry over Normalium Z because Stakataka has a Z-Crystal, plus any form of recovery Azumarill can get is appreciated by me. Knock Off is also very useful vs stall; being able to remove items from super-stall mons like Quagsire and Amoonguss is so useful for so many reasons. I kind of wish I had another Water move besides Aqua Jet, but 4 move slot syndrome's a bitch and Knock Off is really useful, so what can I do?

vikavolt fanart.jpg

Vikavolt (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This mon was the reason I wanted to share this team. As much as I feel like this is a weak point in the squad, I also feel like the niche it's been used for greatly improves this team's offensive potential and catches a lot of people off guard. A lot of people must be asking "Well why don't you use Mega Ampharos? It's so much better than Vikavolt!" and I'll tell you why I picked Vikavolt. For starters, it can hold an item. I feel like that doesn't need explaining. Second, it's incredibly slow. 43 base Speed is very slow, thus allowing it to outspeed stuff like opposing Marowak-Alola under Trick Room and also stuff like Mega Slowbro without min Speed under Trick Room and with min Speed without. It's typing is also quite good; Bug/Electric hits a lot more things than Electric/Dragon can. Even with all these pros, I still feel like considering Mega Ampharos or probably even something like Mega Camerupt to replace it.

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-729586929 vs a VoltTurn squad, guy runs after he realizes its gg from turn 13 or whatever
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-729589796 vs some offensive balance squad, Vikavolt showing it can do damage to even a brick wall like Hippowdon

Threatlist:

breloom.png
amoonguss.png
Sleep inducers: Who doesn't hate sleep? Magic Coat only really causes 50/50s that either result in Spore losing PP, or something being crippled for good. Amoonguss also has the raw bulk to take basically just about any hit from one of my mons except for Flare Blitz from Marowak. Breloom is a little easier to take on considering most of my mons take Grass and Fighting hits relatively well, and p2 can even Ice Beam it, however it's a risky manuever. Just sleep is bad.

stakataka.png
Opposing Trick Roomers: My only real counterplay vs opposing Trick Room is Azumarill and its priority, as well as p2 hopefully being able to take on Stakataka as well. Other than that, Trick Room mirror matches aren't really the greatest to watch.

Substitute Users: Why would they not be a threat? When you only have 4 turns to sweep, being able to stall those 4 turns with a temporary damage and status shield is a near death sentence for Trick Room teams. Basically your best chance is praying that the Substitute user isn't Suicune.

quagsire.png
amoonguss.png
pyukumuku.png
blissey.png
Stall: Stall is Trick Room's worst nightmare (besides Substitute of course) because Trick Room relies on killing things within a 4 turn timespan, and when the opponent's goal is stalling you out, it makes you want to smash your computer in rage. Marowak and Azumarill help somewhat, but mostly just click x because no one wants to face stall.

Well, that's the team I've been using. Any help to improve my team would help me out a lot. Trick Room is so much fun to use, and with a mon as good as Stakataka, it only makes it more enjoyable. To enjoy this team even more, any sort of rate that would make it better would be appreciated. Thanks for reading! 420LegitShucks, signing out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)