ORAS OU Slowbrokens Semi-Stall

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams

Introduction

Looking at the current state of the metagame there are always a few pokemon that are very underrated. Mega Slowbro was one of them just looking at the metagame trends so I decided to build a team with my friend Thompson129. The idea of the team is to use defensive synergy to give Slowbro opportunities to set up and sweep. The team requires some aggressive plays to really shine but once you got the control in the match it is nearly impossible to give it away.

The first choice for a Mega Slowbro team is always difficult. I tried to be innovative and started with Slowbro.

Lati@s, Kyu-B, Chansey, Sableye, Raikou. Slowbro just screams for Clefable as a partner. Not only is Clefable another nice pivot, it can also support Slowbro with rocks and knock off.

Pokemon such as Zard-Y, Landorus and Mega Scizor are annoying. SpD Talonflame also helps against bulky cores that rely on residual damage to work.

Pokemon such as Gengar and Bisharp will always be annoying for balanced teams. But scarf hydeigon is a way to stop them. Hydreigon is also my revengekiller against pokemon such as Manaphy [though it fails to ohko]

Making a voltturn core with Hydreigon while also being a great pokemon to deal with pokemon such as Talonflame, Thundurus and Gyarados. Raikou fit the spot perfectly.

Skarmory was a bit tricky and I come back to that when I show the moveset. A defogger was needed as well a pokemon to switch into pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Mega Diancie and Dragalge and Skarmory was the one that could do that.

After +/- 25 games Hydreigon turned out not to be that important. Keldeo was considered but in the end Bisharp was the one who made it. Bisharp helps with Gengar, Lati@s and other Bisharps.

Slowbroken (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock

Slowbro is such an amazing pokemon. Checking huge threats like Mega Metagross, Keldeo and Talonflame in 1 slot makes teambuilding so much easier it isn’t even funny. Many balanced teams use stuff like TG Energy Ball Manaphy or SD Bug Bite / U-Turn Scizor as their way to deal with this monster so in many situations Slowbro turns out to be the MVP after said threats have been eliminated. With 248 HP and 224 SpD you can take a Hyper Voice from Modest Mega Altaria, set up a CM, take another one and slowly set up with CM + Slack Off.
Calm Mind is the most important move on Slowbro. It makes Mega Slowbro such an amazing win condition because that 180 def isn’t easy to break and once you boost up your special stats you become an insane mixed wall.
Slack Off over Rest because the direct coverage is so much nicer. Not relying on 2 turns of Sleep Talk is great and the extra coverage is amazing. It makes Slowbro vulnerable to Toxic but with Clefable and Skarmory as toxic switchins it isn’t that big of an issue.
Scald because Scald
Psyshock is great coverage and also helps me past pokemon such as Suicune, Clefable and Chansey easier.

Get Fabled (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- [filler 1]

Thompson came with the great idea of adding Clefable as a way to beat stuff like Lati@s, Kyurem-B and Thundurus. We had a lot of discussion whether we should take Unaware or Magic Guard but the immunity against chip damage is needed to check the mentioned pokemon because without Clefable they are very big threats. Heal Bell used to be there instead of Knock Off to cure Slowbro but we never used it and the teams weakness against some threats [mainly goth+sable stall] was very noticeable higher on the ladder.
Soft-Boiled is the main way to stay healthy. Magic Guard means you don’t have to go for the unreliable Moonlight or Wish.
Stealth Rock was already on the first version of this set. Adding it early in the teambuilding is very good because you won’t force yourself into adding a rocks setter and even if we find a better setter later on this can simply be replaced. Mega Charizard Y + Tyranitar is annoying for this team especially if its banded pursuit tyranitar and rocks put big pressure on charizard.
Moonblast doesn't need any explanation. A strong STAB move that helps against pokemon such as Lopunny and Tyranitar.
Knock Off is one of the three moves that can be used here. The others are Heal Bell and Ice Beam. Heal Bell if you really want to keep your mons safe against toxics and burns but in many situations Clef is a nice status absorber. Knock Off is the best option in our opinion. Best is to lure Gothitelle early game and knock off its Choice Scarf. Goth without its scarf is more useless than Chansey without her Eviolite. Knock Off also removes Eviolite from Chansey, Leftovers from Heatran and random Life Orbs and Choice Scarfs from pokemon switching in. bludz also came with the great idea of slashing Ice Beam because Taunt Gliscor is very annoying and Ice Beam is a 2hko on the switch. It also helps with Landorus-T who tries to get rocks up turn 1.

Easy Sweep (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp / Bulk Up
- Roost

SpD Talonflame is seriously a god. Switching into pokemon like Zard-Y and Landorus without many problems if rocks are not up and even with rocks up it can use roost to stay healthy. Talonflame easily deals with both balanced teams (burning hippow / ttar early game is fantastic) and stall teams. Tauntwisp has been working best for me although the set is easily beaten by Mega Sableye. Taunt BU demolishes stall while BU Wisp is a bit better vs. balance. This Talonflame set is a free switch for Raikou / Thundurus which is pretty threatening but if you keep Raikou and Clefable healthy you can deal with it.
Brave Bird is the best offensive move because you deal with pokemon such as Serperior, Gallade and Volcarona. I don’t like Acrobatics because r.i.p. leftovers which are needed to have a better chance against Landorus and Zard-Y.
Roost again doesn’t need much explanation
Taunt is nice to prevent stealth rocks, whirlwind and that kind of bs but the main reason Taunt is so good on this team is because you stop Clefable, SD Scizor and SD Bisharp from setting up and defeating the entire team.
Will-O-Wisp is pretty cool to annoy incoming Tyranitars, Hippowdons and Garchomps while also getting some chip damage on Thundurus and Raikou. The fast wisp is very nice against Scizor, Bisharp and Altaria and with Taunt it is easy to slowly wear the opponent down
Bulk Up if you are really afraid of stall but from my experience Tauntwisp already kills Non-Mega Sableye stall and with Knock Off on Clefable you can beat Goth+Sableye stall (tho it is still pretty difficult)

TFlame Counter (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

I feel like Toxic Skarmory is very underrated. Skarmory is a passive pokemon but with Toxic you can easily wear down Raikou, Garchomp and Thundurus, similar to Talonflames burns. Physical Defensive spread to take on pokemon like Mega Gyarados and Excadrill. We theorymonned Zapdos before adding Skarmory because it also beats Bisharp and Mega Gyarados but unlike Skarmory Zapdos is weak against rocks which is a huge disadvantage. Skarmory is a very reliable defogger because it can switch into many pokemon and cripple switchins with Toxic and together with rocks the switchin will eventually go down. Rocky Helmet is great to get chip damage on Excadrill, Gyarados and
Roost to stay healthy
Defog was added because Talonflame needed the stealth rocks gone if it really want to check Charizard-Y and Landorus reliable. It also helps against spike stacking teams as they annoy Raikou and Slowbro.
Toxic was added because the team is weak against CM 2 Atks Lati@s, DD Mega Altaria and DD Mega Gyarados. It does not beat Taunt Mega Gyarados but Raikou + Clefable can take on the 3 atks set pretty well.
Brave Bird was chosen over Whirlwind, Taunt and Spikes because I didn’t want to have Skarmory this passive. It breaks some subs and 5HKOs Diancie who is a pretty annoying pokemon to face. Whirlwind is an option but Toxic deals with Mega Gyarados anyways and if it has Taunt Whirlwind isn't going to work eiher.

Thunder Fox (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard Raikou is here as the offensive glue of the team. Raikou revenge kills Gengar, Mega Pinsir, Gyarados and Manaphy which is huge for the team. The momentum Raikou provides with Volt Switch is important because it gives the other pokemon the chance to recover without losing too many momentum while it also gives Skarmory the opportunity to defog when it is really necessary (i.e. against dual weather) The set is just standard so I don’t think I have to explain the moves on this one.

Keldeo Hi (Bisharp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick
- Pursuit / Aerial Ace

This was originally Hydreigons spot but his presence was really underwhelming so I replaced him with a set I have seen in some tournament battles: Scarf Bisharp. Scarf Bisharp does similar things as Hydreigon needed to do however Bisharp doesn’t fail in doing it. Choice Scarf gets many surprise KOs against pokemon like Scarf Tyranitar, Mega Gardevoir, Fast Heatran and Kyurem-B
Knock Off is the most spammable move here and is important to get rid of items and to wallbreak in general.
Iron Head is STAB that is used to beat fairy types that resist Knock Off while it can also kill Scarf Tyranitar that thinks you are Black Glasses.
Low Kick is used as a coverage move to get rid of dark types. Bisharp and Heatran are the main targets of Low Kick as they can be big threats to the team.
Aerial Ace can be used to lure in Keldeo and Chesnaught. But I like Pursuit better as it is great to get rid of Lati@s and Gengar immediately without having to play mindgames. It is also great to trap Gothitelle (and it's awesome when they try to trick you a scarf and they get one back) which is a huge threat for the team when paired up with fat walls that can take on Talonflame + Slowbro.

Threatlist
+
Dual Weather is very threatening to this team especially if the Tyranitar has Choice Band. I have 2 good switchins for Charizard with Talonflame and Raikou and I have Skarmory to take on Tyranitar. However, switching into Talonflame or Raikou gives a free switch into Tyranitar who can then Pursuit trap. Similar to Skarmory who gives Charizard a free switch
If it lacks Energy Ball, Slowbro sets up against Manaphy but TG 3 Atks with Energy Ball is very dangerous. I need to sac a pokemon so I can revenge kill it with Raikou, which doesn't even succeed when Manaphy is at full health.
+
SD Crawdaunt and BD Azumarill are both big threats if they manage to set up. BD Azumarill with Superpower OHKOs all members after a Belly Drum but it can only set up against a choice locked Bisharp. Talonflame can often finish it off. Crawdaunt is a similar case: it can't set up against any member of the team and Talonflame can finish it when it is at low health. However, Crawdaunt is a lot more dangerous before a boost as a combination of Crabhammer + Knock Off can KO my entire team. Rocky Helmet on Skarmory + Talonflame + damage it takes when it sets up is often enough to still beat Crawdaunt + Azumarill.
Wisp + Taunt sets are annoying af but Talonflame can handle it if it doesn’t switch in against a Taunt. If hazards are down Slowbro + Clefable stall it out if Regenerator is still there.
Fuck Gothitelle.

Importable
Slowbroken (Slowbro) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock

Get Fabled (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

Easy Sweep (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Thunder Fox (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

TFlame Counter (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

Keldeo Hi (Bisharp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

Last edited:
May I ask why you have 4 EVs Speed on Slowbro? Also can I see some replays so I can see how it works before I get to add suggestions

Ok, nice team although I'd recommend Clerical Clefable:

Fabled (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock / Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Ok, nice team although I'd recommend Clerical Clefable:

Fabled (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock / Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
Unaware has been considered but in the end Magic Guard turned out to be better because the team struggles with pokemon such as Kyurem-B and Mega Alakazam. Magic Guard makes Clefable a better status absorber but the immunity to SR damage is the most important part. Also, Wish support would definitely be cool but it only really helps Raikou as the other teammates already have recovery. Unaware is still a good option as it helps with pokemon such as SubCM Raikou and Manaphy (kinda)

Some calcs to show the importance of Magic Guard:
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Clefable: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Clefable: 175-208 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- 85.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Clefable: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Clefable: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Clefable: 180-213 (45.6 - 54%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 152 Def Clefable: 180-213 (45.6 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery
Of course there is protect which helps with getting 1/16 health back but it is very predictable once revealed and often ends up in a free turn of Roost / Sub / Rocks / Whatever for the opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)