OU Slowking (OU)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/slowking:
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

Slowking carves itself a niche over its brother Slowbro thanks to a considerably higher Special Defense, which enables it to check powerful special threats like Heatran, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Lele. And compared to its Galarian forme, Kantonian Slowking not only has access to Teleport but also takes a bit more defensive approach with Slack Off. The influx of physically defensive Ground-types also positively influences Slowking's position in the metagame: on the one hand, they can make up for Slowking's rather middling Defense, making it easier to fit Slowking on teams, while on the other hand, these Ground-types are weak to Future Sight, which makes Slowking a valuable partner to offensive Pokemon like Cinderace, Kartana, and Tapu Koko. As said before, Slowking's Defense is pretty lackluster, so don't forget to pair it with Pokemon that can compensate it, such as Tangrowth and Mandibuzz.

Last edited:
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

I really don't care who told you to use this spread, but I'd prefer that you make this max spdef. It needs as much spdef as possible for it to be able to pivot into stuff like magearna heatran torn lele etc. and running an awkward midground doesn't really let you do that as reliably, nor does it actually resolve any of its issues w/ physical bulk.

Slowking carves itself a niche over its brother Slowbro thanks to a considerably higher Special Defense, which enables it to check powerful special threats like Nidoking, Tornadus-T, and Latios. replace the nido and lati mentions with tran and lele; neither nido or latios are mons that aren't particularly worth mentioning atm and checking tran and lele are a lot more valuable in general. The combination of Heavy-Duty Boots, Regenerator, and Teleport further increases Slowking's potency as a pivot. I feel like this is relatively unnecessary; I think even the fb audience should understand what teleport + boots does by now, so you can probably remove this. Teleport also synergizes very well with Future Sight, allowing Slowking's teammate to get on a field safely and force a lot of damage on the opposition next turn. Same applies here tbh.This is especially appreciated by breakers such as Cinderace, Kartana, Tapu Lele, and Zeraora. remove the lele mention; lele doesn't need future sight support when none of its checks are taking decent damage from it anyways. I think it's also better if you were to replace the zeraora mention with koko, given how koko has slightly better defensive utility alongside king. Slowking's Defense, however, is rather middling, so Pokemon which can compensate this, like Landorus-T, Clefable, and Mandibuzz, pair with Slowking nicely.

There's nothing wrong with this per se, but I can't help but feel rather underwhelmed by this; I mentioned this earlier, but because there was a slowbro spotlight published not too long ago, a lot of this information feels relatively unnecessary. What I really want to see emphasised are the differences between it, slowbro, and glowking, mainly because a lot of users generally don't know what niche this holds and why that makes slowking such a good mon. In terms of other meta trends, I definitely want you to mention how physdef grounds are mandatory, and what that means for both slowking and its partners (ie why that allows people to run slowking, and why that makes future sight support for the mons you listed even more valuable). There's a few more things you could probably add, but it depends on how well you're able to use your 400-500 characters.

You should know the drill by now, tag me once you've finished implementing everything, etc. etc.

replace the zapdos mention towards the end with either lando or mandi and you're good to go. I still feel like it's a little short but what can you do.

curiosity-QC-Tyler.gif

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
did^ ty, moving to grammar

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
GP 1/1
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

Slowking carves itself a niche over its brother Slowbro thanks to a considerably higher Special Defense, which enables it to check powerful special threats like Heatran, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Lele. And comparing compared to its Galarian forme, Kantonian Slowking not only has access to Teleport but also takes a bit more defensive approach with Slack Off. The influx of physically defensive Ground-types also positively influences Slowking's position in the metagame: on the one hand, they can make up for Slowking's rather middling Defense, making it easier to fit Slowking on teams, while on the other hand, these Ground-types are prone weak to Future Sight, which makes Slowking a valuable partner to offensive Pokemon like Cinderace, Kartana, and Tapu Koko. As said before, Slowking's Defense is pretty lackluster, so don't forget to pair it with Pokemon that can compensate it, such as Tangrowth and Mandibuzz.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
did^ ty, the spotlight is done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)