QC: / /
GP: / /
* Slowking has an excellent ability in Regenerator, which gives it great durability to continuously come in throughout the match, as well as a great move in Slack Off for accelerated longevity.
* Decent typing that gives it crucial resists to Fighting, Water, and Fire to check threats such as Mega Medicham, Keldeo, and Heatran if it is not using Solar Beam.
* It has very high Special Defense so it can tank hits from Tapu Lele, Tornadus-T, and Magearna. This is what sets Slowking apart from Slowbro.
* However, it's also more susceptible to Pursuit from Weavile and Tyranitar due to it's lower Defense.
* Slowking is extremely slow, meaning it will always be taking a hit before moving itself.
* It has a nasty weakness to common types such as Dark, Ghost, and Electric, which means the opposition would usually have multiple ways of threatening it.
* Building off the previous statement, the prevalence of Greninja, Ash-Greninja, Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Gengar does it no favors as all the aforementioned Pokemon make short work of Slowking.
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Scald
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Slack Off
evs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
* Scald is Water STAB that has little drawback while also bearing a nifty chance to burn
* Psyshock is preferred Psychic STAB as it allows Slowking to beat other Calm Mind users as well break past Pokemon such as Chansey.
* Calm Mind bestows Slowking with considerable power after a few boosts.
* Slack Off is recovery.
* Maximum HP increases Slowking overall bulk
* 68 Special Defense in tandem with a Calm Nature gives Slowking the necessary bulk to tank hits from Special Attackers such as Tapu Lele, Tornadus-T, Volcarona, and Kingdra.
* The remaining EVs are placed into Defense to better take on Physical Attackers such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Mega Medicham.
* It's best to use Scald early on as you use it as a defensive pivot to weaken Slowking's switch-ins over the course of the match.
* Calm Mind should only be used once Slowking's counters have been compromised enough for it to pick off or removed entirely.
* Due to this set's susceptibility to status, if possible it's best to try and get burned before setting up if possible to avoid being poisoned or paralyzed.
* You should play carefully around Pursuit trappers, as Slowking will find itself weakened very quickly and unable to check certain threats later in the match
* Slowking very much appreciates hazard removal as to avoid being worn down very quickly or possibly poisoned by Toxic Spikes. So teammates such as Mega Scizor, Zapdos, and Latios would be ideal.
* Dark-types are threatening to Slowking as they could potentially Pursuit trap it as well as KO it with their super effective STAB. Thus, Slowking partners well with Terrakion, Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Mega Heracross as they all function as checks to Dark-types.
* Ground-types such as Garchomp, Zygarde, and Landorus-T make for fine partners as they check Electric-types that beat Slowking. Grass-types also fulfill this criteria so Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth would be options as well. It's worth noting Tangrowth forms a potent Regenerator core with Slowking.
* Although it stacks an Electric-type weakness with Slowking, Assault Vest Tornadus-T is a plausible partner as it functions as a rare switch-in to Gengar.
* Heatran serves as good partners as it threatens the Grass-types that beat Slowking, as well as set up Stealth Rock. In return, Slowking checks Water-types and Fighting-types.
* Slowking could utilize an Offensive Trick Room set.
Checks and Counters
**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Thundurus, Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Magnezone can all severely weaken or KO Slowking with their STAB.
**Dark-types**: Hoopa-U, Bisharp, Greninja, and Ash-Greninja make short work of Slowking with their super-effective Dark-type STAB.
**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Serperior, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu are all able to take any hit from Slowking and retaliate with their super-effective STAB. Tapu Bulu, however, has to be wary as it could possibly be burned when switching in.
**Status**: Although burns do not bother it as much this generation, Slowking abhors being poisoned as it puts it on a very limited timer, preventing it from sweeping.