Old Gens [SM] Kartana

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

With a Choice Band, Kartana is capable of 2HKOing a good chunk of the SM OU metagame. This, along with its ability Beast Boost allowing it to snowball out of control, makes it one of SM OU's scariest wallbreakers. STAB Leaf Blade hits staples such as Landorus-T and Toxapex hard, and its coverage lets it punish Pokemon like Heatran and Magearna, making it a nightmare for teams to face. Sacred Sword lets Kartana deal with Steel-types like Heatran and Ferrothorn, and it is its best move against other Steel-types like Mega Scizor. Knock Off is aimed at targets like Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Zapdos. Lastly, Smart Strike lets Kartana remove Clefable and Tapu Bulu, and it 2HKOes Magearna. Tapu Bulu is a very good teammate, as Grassy Terrain boosts Kartana's Leaf Blade and allows it to 2HKO Magearna and Zapdos. Magnezone is also good, as it traps and removes Steel-types like Skarmory for Kartana. Hazard setters like Garchomp and Ash-Greninja set Stealth Rock and Spikes, respectively, wearing down Kartana's checks and helping it break through them. Finally, Kartana doesn't have good bulk, so slow pivots like Assault Vest Magearna and Mega Scizor bring it in safely via their pivot moves.

Last edited:

Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Not that I've discussed this with anyone, but I'd prefer it if you were to slash return in front of smart strike, if not remove it entirely; I honestly think that Smart Strike is generally pretty niche in application. I also want you to change the move order to Blade, Knock, Sacred, and then Return / Strike to reflect the importance of each move.

Kartana's huge Attack, good Speed, great typing, and a perfect ability for it in Beast Boost allowing it to snowball out of control make it one of SM OU's scariest wallbreakers. Kartana's STAB moves let it threaten Pokemon like Gliscor, Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Toxapex, The topic of this point shouldn't be its stab combination when it rarely ever runs a steel move, focus on what makes it actually annoying to play against (strong grass stab + solid coverage that punishes most, if not all grass resists). I'm also not a fan of a lot of these mentions; Tapu Bulu in particular isn't really the strongest of mentions given how it's mostly taking on an offensive role in this meta, so you can drop this mention entirely. Finally, I want you to order this by viability, mostly because we've been doing that in the c&c section for years now. and when boosted by a Choice Band, allow it to 2HKO a big part of the metagame. Sacred Sword lets Kartana not be walled by Steel-types like Heatran and Ferrothorn, and is its best move against other Steel-types in Mega Scizor and Skarmory. Lastly, Knock Off is aimed at targets like Jirachi, Victini, and Zapdos. Replace the Jirachi and Victini mentions with Mega Latias and Celesteela; neither rachi nor victini should ever switch into a kart to begin with and crippling steela and punishing lati (esp. pre-mega) is really huge Tapu Bulu is a very good teammate, with Grassy Terrain boosting Kartana's Leaf Blade and allowing it to 2HKO Magearna and max Defense Toxapex nobody actually runs max def pex outside of some really niche or jank builds; replace this mention zapdos instead. Magnezone is a good teammate as well, trapping and removing Steel-types like Skarmory and Mega Scizor for Kartana. Offensive hazard setters like Z-move Heatran replace this mention with offensive garchomp; you've got actual synergy here given that both more or less share the same defensive checks and you're rarely going to be using cb kart alongside z tran anyways and Ash-Greninja can set Stealth Rock and Spikes respectively, wearing down some of Kartana's checks and helping it break through more bulky teams. Finally, Kartana doesn't have good bulk, so slow pivots like Assault Vest Magearna and Mega Scizor can bring it in safely via their respective pivot moves.

Honestly I think replacing the offensive hazard setters section with pursuit trappers could be worth it, especially since hazards aren't really important for cb kart to begin with, but that's just my personal preference.

This was nicely written, but there's a few things I'd like to go over again. Tag me once you've implemented all of this.

Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Return

Kartana's huge Attack, good Speed, great typing, and a perfect ability for it in Beast Boost allowing it to snowball out of control make it one of SM OU's scariest wallbreakers. Because we've had a couple of Kartana spotlights, I feel like it's not particularly necessary to state a lot of the more obvious points like this, so you could probably get away with saying "This kartana set focuses immediate wallbreaking as opposed to etc. etc" mainly because it just starts to sound repetitive. Just so we're clear this isn't your fault or bad writing or anything, we just happened to have 3-4 kart sets published within a relatively recent span of time. Its combination of a strong Grass-type STAB in Leaf Blade that hits metagame staples such as Landorus-T and Toxapex very hard and coverage that lets it punish Grass-resistant Pokemon such as Heatran and Zapdos make it a nightmare for teams to face. Sacred Sword lets Kartana not be walled by Steel-types like Heatran and Ferrothorn, and is its best move against other Steel-types in Mega Scizor and Skarmory. Knock Off is aimed at targets like Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Zapdos. Lastly, Return is a strong neutral hit on Pokemon like Tangrowth probably worth mentioning torn-t here and on others that have had their item removed already by Knock Off, such as Zapdos. Tapu Bulu is a very good teammate, with Grassy Terrain boosting Kartana's Leaf Blade and allowing it to 2HKO Magearna and Zapdos. Magnezone is a good teammate as well, trapping and removing Steel-types like Skarmory and Mega Scizor for Kartana. Offensive hazard setters like Garchomp and Ash-Greninja can set Stealth Rock and Spikes respectively, wearing down some of Kartana's checks and helping it break through more bulky teams. Finally, Kartana doesn't have good bulk, so slow pivots like Assault Vest Magearna and Mega Scizor can bring it in safely via their respective pivot moves.

Great work! QC 1/1

curiosity-QC-Jotaro.gif

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Please do not main slash Return. Smart Strike is very important to the functionality of CB Kartana; this allows for it to cleanly revenge kill BU Tapu Bulu and Clefable while also 2HKOing Magearna and taking out relatively healthy Tornadus-Therian.

Return is a fine niche option that may warrant a brief add-on in the description or even a backslash, but it is absolutely not worthy of being the main move, let alone being listed without Smart Strike.

While it is true that it (Return) “has been a thing for years”, it was really just been that — a thing, not a commonly used option or something considered worth the trade-off on a majority of teams. You really only hit Zapdos, which has been seeing sporadic usage in the modern metagame and you risk Static against.

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I removed Return and added Smart Strike again with Finch's mentions mainly because I also have never seen Return Kartana, only Normalium Z Giga Impact.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
GP 1/1
Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

With a Choice Band, Kartana is capable of 2HKOing a good chunk of the SM OU metagame. This, along with its ability Beast Boost allowing it to snowball out of control, make makes it one of SM OU's scariest wallbreakers. Its combination of STAB Leaf Blade that hits staples such as Landorus-T and Toxapex hard,(AC) and its coverage that lets it punish Pokemon like Heatran and Magearna make ,(AC) making it a nightmare for teams to face. Sacred Sword lets Kartana deal with Steel-types like Heatran and Ferrothorn, and it is its best move against other Steel-types like Mega Scizor. Knock Off is aimed at targets like Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Zapdos. Lastly, Smart Strike lets Kartana remove Clefable,(RC) and Tapu Bulu, and it 2HKOes Magearna. Tapu Bulu is a very good teammate, as Grassy Terrain boosts Kartana's Leaf Blade and allows it to 2HKO Magearna and Zapdos. Magnezone is also good, as it traps and removes Steel-types like Skarmory for Kartana. Hazard setters like Garchomp and Ash-Greninja set Stealth Rock and Spikes,(AC) respectively, wearing down Kartana's checks and helping it break through them. Finally, Kartana doesn't have good bulk, so slow pivots like Assault Vest Magearna and Mega Scizor bring it in safely via their pivot moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)