Resource USUM OU ULTRA Sets Viability Ranking Thread

Magearna is an S Rank threat, unlike Protean Gren which is in A Rank. We wanted to accurately portray Magearna's multitude of sets, whereas we didn't really feel like that was necessary for something like Protean Greninja. Offensive Protean Gren (ignoring scarf and sash) generally runs 4 attacks or 3 attacks + spikes and we felt dividing these by either physically based (low kick / gunk / beam or uturn / z dig / beam or hydro) and specially based (hp fire + hydro sets) was a good enough distinction.
They're the same sets, though just with a few different moves. They all even have the same OU analysis that is labeled as "Shift Gear". Couldn't the Shift Gear set as a whole just have been ranked in S tier? I mean, you guys merged the Defog with the Shuca berry set for Koko so I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the Gear set

Last edited:
They're the same sets, though just with a few different moves. They all even have the same OU analysis that is labeled as "Shift Gear". Couldn't the Shift Gear set as a whole just have been ranked in S tier? I mean, you guys merged the Defog with the Shuca berry set for Koko so I don't see why the same couldn't be done for the Gear set
No because there is a notable difference in viability between the Shift Gear sets, whereas Shuca Berry and Defog Tapu Koko are the same set, literally.

No because there is a notable difference in viability between the Shift Gear sets, whereas Shuca Berry and Defog Tapu Koko are the same set, literally.
There are also notable differences in viability between the Gren Protean Z sets with Waterium Z being more popular than something like the Psychium Z set on the Specially based Sets.

Yes, I know that there has already been an argument about how its A tier and this is not the thread to talk about it but I do feel that the amount of viable sets protean Gren has should be enough for it to get the same treatment as Magearna and jump up a Tier based off that.

Also, the Defog and Shuca sets may look the same as they share the same move set, but they are played very differently and most importantly, use completely different EV spreads.

I don't really care whether we split Greninja sets up or not, so I'll leave that up to sed.

Also, the Defog and Shuca sets may look the same as they share the same move set, but they are played very differently and most importantly, use completely different EV spreads.
However, this is just false because Defog is the only time you run Shuca Berry and Shuca Berry is the only time you run Defog, excluding Choice Specs. source: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tapu-koko-revamp-1-3.3647565/

I don't really care whether we split Greninja sets up or not, so I'll leave that up to sed.

However, this is just false because Defog is the only time you run Shuca Berry and Shuca Berry is the only time you run Defog, excluding Choice Specs. source: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tapu-koko-revamp-1-3.3647565/
I was going by the OU analysis that is currently in the Smogon OU dex which I'm guessing is outdated? The Shuca berry set was more of a lure that could defog as well since it was listed as a secondary move. It's cool to see that the sets are being updated, though

PZZ

formerly PikachuZappyZap
I feel offensive Celesteela is a threat. With autotomize and good physical or special moves (depending on the team preference), like Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Air Slash, and Flamethrower, and then getting boosted when you get a KO, offensive Celesteela can sweep pretty easily versus some teams, at the very least deserving acknowledgement on the viability ranking tier list.

I feel offensive Celesteela is a threat. With autotomize and good physical or special moves (depending on the team preference), like Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Air Slash, and Flamethrower, and then getting boosted when you get a KO, offensive Celesteela can sweep pretty easily versus some teams, at the very least deserving acknowledgement on the viability ranking tier list.
I dont feel that, it is a relic of old metas and right now, there are some checks and counters that doesnt give a fuck about it like rotom-w, zard y, toxapex, spdef celesteela, pelipper, slowbro, gastrodon etc, as they Just sit there, burn it with scald or nuke it with Fire moves like zard Y.
A lot of teams check it Just running a mon above to check other relevante threats, and as a bonus, just dick on offensive celesteela

Guard

حرروا فلسطين
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
I think LO/Metronome Torn-T should be added to the VR for its prominence in Rain and Rain's contemporary popularity. The VR also needs an update in general.

I think LO/Metronome Torn-T should be added to the VR for its prominence in Rain and Rain's contemporary popularity. The VR also needs an update in general.
Metronome is listed as an option in the set details for torns analysis, theirs no need to point it out in the VR when its the exact same set, just a different item.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)