SM UU Beta (Mewnium Z, Staraptor, Victini banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
UU beta is finally underway! In the beta phase, UU is going to be volatile. You can expect many quickbans to occur, as decided by the UU Council. These quickbans will probably happen in batches, meaning multiple Pokemon at once. Everything that gets quick banned will be tested at a later date; the primary objective right now is to create a stable and playable metagame. A separate thread will be made about the council once we get the UU subforum set up.

Here is the initial banlist for UU Beta.

Many of you played UU Alpha, and the following changes have occured:
Gained Mandibuzz, Bisharp, Hippowdon, Porygon-Z
Lost Jirachi, Tangrowth, Alolan Muk, Mamoswine

Additionally: Charizardite Y, Kyurem-B, Baton Pass, Dragonite, Salamence, Weavile, Slowbronite, Diggersby, Tornadus-T, Volcarona, Scolipede, Terrakion, Gyarados, Breloom, Thundurus-T, Mewnium Z, Staraptor, and Victini are banned.

NOTE: Although it appears Landorus has dropped to UU, this is an oversight as it was banned from OU

Please use this thread to post your thoughts on the metagame as well as any questions about the tiering process.

np: Slint - Good Morning, Captain

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
[19:45] #Hikari: someone post something
[19:45] #Hikari: fuck
[19:45] #killintime: wtf do I say
[19:45] #Hikari: killintime go complain about pz

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion

• I was glad when we lost rachi to be honest, but I am quite curious what people will do with this thing. You get to change up your typing to even avoid priority if you like by running moves like shadowball, I have also seen odd sets like bulky recover. I want to see what you guys do with this new gen, but what I can say is I will do everything in my power to make obnoxious sets.
Another thing I have issue with whats going to end up happening with this pursuit trapping situation, with OU taking alola muk, and weavile being a pain in the ass it has me wondering what will end up happening with gengar, zam, lati.

• Honestly this mon continues to impress me even in sumo it supports a lot of teams in different aspect, I even ran a rocks bulky aero set for zard Y and had great results with it. Pursuit is still amazing as ever, sumo mons are slow af and all the mons we did gain do not appreciate edge-quake coverage.

• We gained another sand stream user except this comes built in with recovery in the form of slack off and is nice to have back. Although I wouldn't say it totally outclasses gigalith as it doesn't resist fire/flying types which are huge right now like z-move mence or charizard-y. Instead it blocks volt switch, can counter mons like sub cm raikou, and is probably a lot more reliable in terms of setting sand.

• Interesting I have never really gotten into OU so having this around is pretty freken cool for punishing defog, and it has access to SD+pursuit. I know it was a decent mon in OU last gen so I do hope its merciful in UU this gen.

Last edited:
[19:45] #Hikari: someone post something
[19:45] #Hikari: fuck
[19:45] #killintime: wtf do I say
[19:45] #Hikari: killintime go complain about pz

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion
- Tri Attack

• I was glad when we lost rachi to be honest, but I am quite curious what people will do with this thing. You get to change up your typing to even avoid priority if you like by running moves like shadowball, I have also seen odd sets like bulky recover. I want to see what you guys do with this new gen, but what I can say is I will do everything in my power to make obnoxious sets. gl and hf!
Better set is likely gonna be BoltBeam + recover. It becomes moderately bulky with the +1 / +1 boosts to def/sdef, so recover doesn't seem like the worst option as it prevents people from wearing you down and revenging you with pririoty (examples: +1 LO Weav shard does 27.9 max; Banded Dragonite espeed does 49.8 max). I thought about coverage options like HP Ground / HP Fighting, but those don't seem to hit anything specifically in UU that comes to mind; Magneton, despite resisting BoltBeam, still loses, for example, as +1 Adaptability Thunderbolt 2HKOs, and its Modest Specs Analytic Tbolt does a pitiful 47.2 back at best.

I'm actually really scared now, this thing is looking like an absolute monster on paper. Gonna play around with it a bit but nothing short of Quagsire or Blissey seems to stop this reliably.

I'm seeing an opening for Pikachu: Gen 7 edition. Togedemaru is pretty nice. Give that lil' ball this set:

Togedemaru @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Spiky Shield
- Zing Zap

And you'll have a fast and yet still slightly threatening Pikachu + Steel Typing!

Water Spam seems pretty viable on this gen, given that UU got several New Water types which coverage each other weakness, while denting Common ones. Like, say, Keldeo can deal with Steel types and open way for Primarina to Moonblast everything. I haven't played much, but all things consideres, there doesn't seem to be anything that is *extremely* broken. I guess we have to wait to see.

The tier leaders have decided to quickban Charizardite Y, Kyurem-B, and Baton Pass.

Mega Charizard Y was an absolute menace in the alpha metagame, and its life didn't get any harder with the shift to beta. It sits at a good Speed tier for a wallbreaker, boasts reliable recovery with excellent special bulk (for example, Choice Scarf Hydreigon's Dark Pulse doesn't even 2HKO), and has no safe answers. Sun-boosted Flamethrower/Fire Blast and Solar Beam are incredibly hard to play around, and Charizard's third move can be tailored to pick off whatever would-be checks that it wants to. Dragon Pulse hits Latias, Hydreigon, Salamence, and Dragonite; Focus Blast 2HKOes Gigalith and Snorlax; Air Slash is a viable option for opposing Fire-types and good overall coverage. The only true counter is Blissey, which only fits on passive stall teams and doesn't need too much chip damage to lose. While its Stealth Rock weakness is hindering, reliable options for hazard removal such as Latias, Scizor, and Starmie are available and effective; Charizard can even switch in comfortably on most Stealth Rock users, such as Metagross, Cobalion, and Krookodile, as they set up rocks.
Kyurem-B is another Pokemon that is incredibly difficult to handle. It boasts so much raw power that there are no safe switchins to its Choice Band set alone; even the bulkiest of Steel-types such as Cobalion can be 2HKOd by Outrage. Its Scarf set allows it to work as a strong revenge killer and still proves difficult to answer defensively due to its amazing 170 base Attack stat. And even though these two sets are really all it needs, Life Orb sets make absolutely certain that defensive teams can do nothing whatsoever to stop it. These attributes coupled with its decent speed and ridiculous natural bulk let Kyurem-B simply win games on its own.
Baton Pass was unbanned at the start of the generation as we inherited OU's clause, but it has proven to be an even bigger problem than it was in ORAS. As teams such as Hikari's Scolipede + Necrozma (see the bottom of this post) demonstrate, this strategy can win on match-up alone a lot with there being very little viable counterplay. Scolipede has plenty of other options for recipients, and with the possibility of running Substitute, various attacking moves, and Spikes/Toxic Spikes, it's incredibly difficult to stop from doing its job. Scolipede isn't the only abuser, as Celebi, Decidueye and Mew could pass other stats such as Attack, Special Attack or even Defense, allowing a variety of Pokémon that are completely fine otherwise to become overbearing. Despite being more match-up based than either of the other two quickbans, Baton Pass is anything but a shaky gimmick and has proven to be a rather reliable strategy due to its sheer number of great match-ups, and is very hard to account for in teambuilding.

Tagging The Immortal to remove Charizardite-Y, Kyurem-B, and Baton Pass from the UU ladder. Thanks!

Torkoal/Ninetales Hype, I guess. Is weather that good of an archetype right now tough? It looked like the problem was Zard himself, not what he brought with him.

RIP all three of us who used BP without being lame and passing boosts.

Interesting that we lose Jirachi, just to gain PZ instead. The difference in bulk between the two is noticeable, but PZ is so much stronger it's not even funny. Electric Z-Convert will probably be the norm but I'm interested to see if other Types will be more viable down here than in OU.

Could you guys do a complex ban for Baton Pass where it doesn't pass any boosts? It's a really useful momentum grabber on some Pokemon I use and I'd hate to lose it.

Good riddance with KyuB gone. That was the worst thing in UU Alpha by far imo.

Baton Pass ban hurts Sylveon's Specs set a bit momentum-wise (as well as sets where it uses it in conjunction with Wish) and Decidueye is much less useful in this tier now with its roles being delegated to Defog, standalone SD sweeper, Choice user and maybe SubToxic. Baton Pass sets were its best by far. The lit Absol set I was using is gone now too, what a shame. Ban's for the best though, ScoliPass was nuts.

Bewear should benefit a lot from the bans, these two wallbreakers didn't give a damn about Fluffy and gave it a difficult time coming in. It might not still be amazing yet with Flyingium Z Dragonite/Mence running around and Porygon-Z dropping, but it performs well as a check to Bisharp, Weavile, Scizor, Lycanroc, Decidueye and stuff.

Definitely expecting a lot of Sand and Rain now. Gen V OU 3.0.

A half day ago i was using my first gen 7 UU team and it had BP on it. I played 4 fast games and now it is banned. RIP my sweet prince. It was a lovely time.
But I am looking forward to the new list. No more Jirachi and my good friend Mandibuzz is back :>

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Zard Y and KyuB are gone, good riddance.

I don't care that UU was in Alpha - that was unacceptable that blatantly OU mons were allowed there.
Oh yeah, and what are Volcanion, Scizor, Serperior and the Lati Twins still doing in the tier? Lmao get them out, they're blatantly OU too!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Zard Y and KyuB are gone, good riddance.

I don't care that UU was in Alpha - that was unacceptable that blatantly OU mons were allowed there.
Oh yeah, and what are Volcanion, Scizor, Serperior and the Lati Twins still doing in the tier? Lmao get them out, they're blatantly OU too!
UU is simply defined as under used. They are underused, and not determined broken atm, therefore they are allowed. And heads up, only Latias is legal and its not as bad as the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)