Small Objective Changes - (Typos, Poor Wording, Etc.)

At least according to my grammar teacher, "due to" is an adjective, and adjectives can only modify nouns and pronouns. "due to" cannot be used interchangeably with "because of" or "because he has." The sentence "Guzzlord is a threatening wallbreaker due to good defensive presence." is wrong because "Guzzlord is a threatening wallbreaker" is not a noun. "due to" is used correctly in "Guzzlord's wallbreaking capabilities are due to good defensive presence." because "capabilities" is a noun. "Guzzlord's is a threatening wallbreaker because of good defensive presence." is also correct because "because" is not an adjective.
Wouldn't "wallbreaker" be the noun in this case? If you use capabilities as a noun, then so is wallbreaker (unless I'm not understanding your point at which point please clarify bc I love grammar lol)

Wouldn't "wallbreaker" be the noun in this case? If you use capabilities as a noun, then so is wallbreaker
The way I learned it, adjectives either go before nouns (as in "threatening wallbreakers") or after verbs (as in "wallbreakers are threatening"). Putting an adjective after a noun would be like saying, "Guzzlord is a wallbreaker threatening."
I love grammar lol)
That's nice to know.

The Dutch Plumberjack

ace of wands
is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator
Articles Co-Leader
This isn't really the place to debunk it in more detail but there is nothing wrong with using "due to" as a preposition, I know there's /some/ disagreement about this, but vast majority of sources say it's fine, vast majority of sources that say it isn't still conclude with "but tbh you can use it anyway", and if there's a decent argument against using due to as a preposition then I'm yet to hear it. Different style guides will always do their own thing I guess but I see no reason for us to disallow it.

At least according to my grammar teacher, "due to" is an adjective, and adjectives can only modify nouns and pronouns. "due to" cannot be used interchangeably with "because of" or "because he has." The sentence "Guzzlord is a threatening wallbreaker due to good defensive presence." is wrong because "Guzzlord is a threatening wallbreaker" is not a noun. "due to" is used correctly in "Guzzlord's wallbreaking capabilities are due to good defensive presence." because "capabilities" is a noun. "Guzzlord's is a threatening wallbreaker because of good defensive presence." is also correct because "because" is not an adjective.
This is a somewhat antiquated purist rule, similar to not ending sentences with a preposition or not using the singular “they”. It’s generally accepted in modern grammar to use “due to” as a preposition.

Oglemi

red hot like pizza supper
is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Secret Boss Mod
Smeargle can learn Stealth Rock in DP. He is currently not listed as a user.
Technically, Smeargle only "learns" Sketch. However, considering Sketch can't copy every move, I'll look into changing Smeargle's learnset to everything it can currently copy with Sketch, as listing it as a learner of said move on the move's page is probably more important than being technically correct.

Same thing for other priority moves:
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/extreme_speed/
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/aqua_jet/
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/ice_shard/
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/baby-doll_eyes/ (note how the -1 stage in Attack is mentioned but not +1 priority)

An effect is a result of an action, so I'm assuming it's not listed as an effect because it really isn't an "effect." Rather, priority in a move is more of an "attribute," in my opinion. I don't know how else to explain it, so sorry if it's confusing.

An effect is a result of an action, so I'm assuming it's not listed as an effect because it really isn't an "effect." Rather, priority in a move is more of an "attribute," in my opinion. I don't know how else to explain it, so sorry if it's confusing.
Regardless of this, isn't non-zero priority important enough to be mentioned?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)