Small Site Page Changes - (Typos, Poor Wording, Inaccuracies, Etc.)

Oglemi

step up, snap ya back
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS IN THIS THREAD. DOUBLE POST. TRIPLE POST, BUT DO *NOT* EDIT.

Post small changes to pages on the site here. Fundamental idea: if there is something wrong with a page on the site and your fix does not change the structure of it, then post it here instead of making a new topic. (Quick addition: if your change is controversial, this is probably not the topic for it. All C&C forums have an analysis discussion thread for such changes, where the relevant people will see them quicker; if your change is to a non-analysis page, feel free to post it here though)

Why are there no posts here?: When something gets fixed in this thread the post is deleted, don't be weirded out by the lack of posts!

SCMS people: You don't need to post here. Just make the change yourself. If you fix someone else's problem, please post that you did so.

When corrections are made by Site Staff, the post reporting the error will be deleted.

Rules

~ It would be wonderful if you linked to the page you want to correct, that makes fixing it that much quicker. Please link to the page on the site. I'm tired of trying to find the page to edit something, only to read through the whole thing and realize you were talking about the ADV analysis or something dumb. If you just say something like "Geodude needs to have 5 more Attack EVs on its Rock Throw set" without linking to the analysis, you will be infracted. If you can't take the time to just add a link, then it's not that helpful.

~ If the errors you find are limited to certain parts of a page, it's a great idea to clarify in which areas your edits are located. For example, "On Kakuna's 'Ubers Support' set, x needs to be capitalized". Better yet is quoting the context so the section you're talking about is quickly and easily found.

~ If your change cannot be made by regular badgeholders or staff members, this is not the thread for it. Regular badge holders can edit analyses, articles, and other "unique" site pages, i.e. pretty much everything that was written in a workshop-like subforum; changes to these pages should go here. However, if, instead, your change is a more structural change, e.g. involves editing a database file (e.g. is to move descriptions or Pokemon learnsets), a template (e.g. the placeholder hyperlinks that appear on any empty dex page), or anything that isn't text (e.g. a broken sprite or 3D model), then post in the Dex bug report thread.

NOTICE #1: Badged members, do NOT just auto-correct all the suggestions. A lot of the time, the suggestion isn't grammatically correct.

NOTICE #2: Be clear about what you have fixed and always make a post AFTER the corrected post to note this.

NOTICE #3: I've noticed that for some reason on the credits page that strings of text will move around the page in between edits from when a person edits the page and when someone caches it. Nobody is doing this on purpose, and it irritates me that it happens, though it mostly happens at the very bottom of the page after the last </dd> tag. For a while there it was "Symphx" that was jumping down, and then a few times it was "ed seve" that jumped. IDK why or how this happens, just be aware that it does.

NOTICE #4:
PSA:

The Smogdex is in a transitional stage at the moment. work is underway on a new dex that will be the merger of the smogdex and the PSdex. Starting with gen 8, the smogdex uses the data package used by the merged dex (https://github.com/smogon/data/), which is built from the PS data source. for any given bug, there are two possibilities, one is that there is a bug in the data package, and the other is that there is a bug in the PS data source. there have been a couple of regressions in the PS data source, but if it's not gen 7 related then it's much more likely a bug in the data package.

The data package is very much a WIP so there isn't much documentation, but if anyone is interested in working on this project they can reach me on discord chaos#1111 or the smogon/ps development discord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oglemi

step up, snap ya back
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Smeargle can learn Stealth Rock in DP. He is currently not listed as a user.
Technically, Smeargle only "learns" Sketch. However, considering Sketch can't copy every move, I'll look into changing Smeargle's learnset to everything it can currently copy with Sketch, as listing it as a learner of said move on the move's page is probably more important than being technically correct.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining
Quick Ball (Decreases by 1 after every 5 turns): 4
Bulbapedia says it starts at 4 and decreases to 1 on the second turn.
Dusk Ball (Rate is 1 when it is not night): 4
Bulbapedia says the multiplier is 3.5.
Nest Ball (Depending on the level): 3
If the multiplier depends on the level, then it should be obvious that the multiplier isn't always 3. The article should probably include the entire formula, which according to Bulbapedia, is max(40 - wild Pokemon's level) / 10, 1).
Timer Ball(Increases by 1 after every 10 turns): 1
Bulbapedia says it increases by 0.1 every 1 turn until it reaches 4.
Soundproof/Suction Cups
Although Taunt is usually more convenient, Soundproof prevents wild Pokémon from using Roar on you, and Suction Cups nullifies both Roar and Whirlwind.

Pokémon: Voltorb, Electrode, Mime Jr., Mr. Mime, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Lileep, Cradily.
This one is missing Octillery.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_pokeradar
The chain will never break when encountering the same species in a patch of grass,
I haven't tested this in DP, but I know that in Pt, sometimes my chain will break when I encounter a Pokemon of the same species that I was chaining. I know this thread is for corrections that we know for sure are wrong, not for edits that "probably should" happen. But I still thought it's a convenient time to mention that if you have the "trainer counter" app open on the Poketch while you're chaining, and you walk into a patch of grass that breaks the chain, then you can see the top bar go blank before the battle starts. I think this probably should be mentioned in the guides.

Additionally, there are inconsistencies between the 2 guides, and for some of them, I don't know which one is right. The first 1 is about the number of kinds of grass patches.
Unlike regular patches, there are multiple variants of flashing patches.
Here, we can see 2 different types of grass shaking.
This 1 is about the effective differences between the different kinds of grass.
Poké Radar Exclusives are Pokémon that only appear using the Poké Radar, and only appear in flashing patches.
There are 3 that have leaves jumping around, and one that just shakes gently. There isn't too much different about these to my knowledge.
This 1 is about formations.
After extensive testing, the following have been determined to be the safest formations in the game. Results may vary with the appearance rate of the target Pokémon, but all of these formations should have a success rate of at least 90%. They are also ranked from most successful to least successful, with the first formation having a phenomenal success rate of at least 98%.
I have come across a few tutorials on chaining saying that there are bad formations, or formations that might trade probabilities between patches. These are all myths. After some research in the ASM of the game, I found no such case where this applied. Long story short, the patches have the percentages as listed in this guide, regardless of other patches touching them, or lack of patches touching each other.
The "ways to break your chain" list are slightly different.
  • Entering a patch that does not contain your Pokémon (this can occur for many reasons).
  • Entering an edge patch that contains your Pokémon, but having the subsequent patches all activate outside of your field.
  • Entering the wrong type of patch.
  • Forgetting to use a Repel.
  • Moving so that all the patches most recently activated are out of view.
  • Being Roared or Whirlwinded by a Pokémon.
  • Resetting the Poké Radar on an edge patch.
  • Using the bicycle.
Here is a list of things that will break your chain:

• Turning off the power.
  • Moving away so that all patches that shook are offscreen (careful about this one).
  • Using your bike.
  • Forgetting to re-apply a Repel and encountering a random wild battle.
  • No patches shook as a result of each tile that was supposed to shake not being a grass tile (this is why you should be cautious about edges of grass and corners). If you have 8 grass tiles surrounding you (all tiles in the red zone are grass), then you don't need to worry about this. (That's also why Route 222 is probably the best for chaining.)
  • That unlucky chance your chain will break. The lowest this chance will get is 2%, which is pretty low. If you only go to the blue zone, it will be a 12% chance that your chain will break at most, but keep the risk of edges and corners in mind.

I submit here some small mistakes to correct, but only the first is "important":
• for less than a month, the PU classification on the Smogon Dex has changed again: the viable mons but not PU by usage are no longer classified (only present in the category "Other Pokemon with Strategies"). Altaria and Silvally-Water should therefore not be classified as PU;

• both Meowstic have the same menu sprite: replace that of the female with this one
;
• there has been a change of menu sprites for Diancie, Steelix, Treecko, Combusken, Blaziken, Ludicolo, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Sableye and Metagross between XY (
)
and ORAS (
).

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I did some of the above related to "untiered" mons. Can't do anything about the sprites with my level of access.

For the Griseous Orb page, I think its worth mentioning that it changes Giratina into its Origin Form, because it shows Giratina-A as a Pokemon recommended for it, even though that's technically not possible.

Nothing very important, I present here some remarks on form:
• In gen 1,
Spr_1y_075.png
Graveler has long been classified in UU. But since the recent downgrade of
Spr_1y_076.png
Golem in this tier, it's no longer justified to classify it;
• not at all essential, but as
Spr_1y_102.png
Exeggcute and
Spr_1y_120.png
Staryu are present in the recent viability rankings of RBY UU, it costs nothing to classify them in this tier on Smogon;
• same principle as above, given that
Spr_2g_092.png
Gastly,
Spr_2g_102.png
Exeggcute,
Spr_2g_104.png
Cubone or
Spr_2g_002.png
Ivysaur (non-exhaustive list) are present in the viability rankings of GSC NU, they can also be classified in this tier. After all,
Spr_2g_117.png
Seadra is already classified while it's only a C- rank;
Sprite_772_SL.png
Type: Null, because of its NFE status, can't be an "Untiered".

The Punk Rock ability states that, "Boosts the power of sound-based moves. The Pokémon also takes half the damage from these kinds of moves."
It would help if it would say, "Boosts the power of sound-based moves by 1.5. The Pokémon also takes half the damage from these kinds of moves."
As this is more accurate and would be super helpful. (in case you don't think that is whet it does, I have done around 20 tests done some calculations and this is what came out).

david stone

Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is no information on Hidden Power in general.

That page links me to post a bug report, but the thread it links to is in the archives and not open for new posts.

The page for a specific Hidden Power lists no Pokemon as learning it.

There is also no information on how Hidden Power works (that it's based on IVs, what the formula is, what the ideal IV spreads are for various Hidden Powers, etc.).

The Dutch Plumberjack

ace of wands
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator
C&C & TFP Leader
Figuring I should post a quick PSA about this here (I'll delete this post again soon), with the new generation martha and I decided to slightly reorganise the small changes threads.

First, we're folding the Small Subjective Changes thread into this one and won't be moving that one over from the old forum. The analysis discussion threads in the subforums (which weren't a thing yet when the thread was first posted) have made that one mostly obsolete, and the scattered few changes that it was still the best place for will be noticed quicker here.

Secondly, this thread has occasionally seen posts on issues that regular badgeholders and staff don't have access to fix / wouldn't usually be comfortable trying their hands at. E.g. broken hyperlinks in templates, issues with sprites, and, since the relevant files were effectively moved to Github with the ongoing Dex merge a little while ago, edits to move file descriptions and other database files and other more structural changes to the Dex. While finding the right people to fix those errors still isn't hard, it makes more sense to just divert these changes away to a dedicated thread where they'll see them quicker, for which the (revamped) Dex bug report thread is a good option.

tl;dr
- if your change requires someone with (S)CMS access: this thread here;
- if your change requires someone with github access or a programmer: this thread here.

that is all

david stone

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/moves/fling/ does not say what the base power is for each item I can hold. It also states "Fails if the user has no held item, if the held item cannot be thrown, or if the user is under the effect of Embargo." but does not say which held items cannot be thrown.

I also feel like I remember something about certain items having a special effect when used with Fling (for instance, Flame Orb burning and King's Rock flinching), at least in Generation 4, but I am not certain about that.

david stone

When a Pokemon with a Life Orb uses Fling, the damage is boosted by Life Orb, but the user does not receive recoil. When a Pokemon uses Thief and gains a Life Orb, the damage is not boosted by Life Orb, but the user does receive recoil.

david stone

To clarify my previous post, those are the Life Orb mechanics in Generation 4. I am not sure about later generations.

david stone

The descriptions for Sleep Talk and Snore in Generation 3 do not mention anything about the effect they have on the sleep counter. My understanding is that (at least under some conditions), the sleep counter does not change when using those moves.

david stone

Choice Band does not mention anything about its interaction with Sleep Talk (any move execution after the first will fail). I do not know if this is true in general for moves that call other moves (for instance, Assist, Metronome, and Nature Power).

I think I found the right place to post a small site edit: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/uber/ lists "Other Pokemon with Strategies". Is that list meant to be exhaustive? If so, I found strategies on Barraskewda, Hippowdon, and Hydreigon, but those three aren't listed under that heading.

If it's not meant to be exhaustive: Perhaps add the word 'some' - "Some other pokemon with strategies" or "Recently added strategies"? And then, again if so, is there a link to all the pokemon that have strategies so far, in SS?

Hope that helps.

PS. So happy to have stumbled across this site - so much to learn!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)