Small Subjective Changes - Controversial Edits

About Mega Charizard X's analysis:

Flare Blitz is an insanely strong STAB move that nukes even Pokemon that resist it. Dragon Claw hits Dragon-types that resist Flare Blitz such as Latios, Zygarde, and Mega Latias and is a more reliable STAB move overall. Earthquake hits Heatran, Toxapex, and Tyranitar, which are otherwise annoying for this set to deal with. Roost allows Mega Charizard X to utilize its rare defensive typing to the fullest and heal off recoil damage sustained from Flare Blitz. Thunder Punch is an option over Earthquake to hit Toxapex, Alomomola, and Tapu Fini in one moveslot, but it makes Charizard struggle against Heatran and Tyranitar. Also, Thunder Punch requires Electric Terrain support from Tapu Koko, as the move fails to 2HKO Toxapex otherwise.
Earthquake & Thunderpunch have the same power (thanks to Tough Claws), so Earthquake is also a 3HKO. It makes it sound like Thunderpunch is too weak for Toxapex despite being the same power as Earthquake.

Post small subjective changes in this thread. This thread is for subjective changes only. If you find an error that is syntactical, grammatical, typographical, orthographical, or technical please use the Small Changes thread
The link doesn't work. It says "The requested thread could not be found."

Last edited:
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/donphan/
Donphan is one of the few viable Rapid Spin users in the tier thanks to its great Defense and ability to easily beat the most popular spinblocker in the tier, Doublade.
Now that many RU players think it's not viable, this sentence should probably be replaced with "Donphan is a Rapid Spin user that has a small niche thanks to its great Defense and ability to easily beat the most popular spinblocker in the tier, Doublade." The opening paragraph should probably also mention that it's outclassed by Tsareena as a rapid spinner and by lots of other ground types as a tank and stealth rock user, that it's easy to switch into, that it doesn't threaten defoggers well enough to be a good stealth rock user, and that it doesn't force enough switches to rapid spin effectively.

Not sure if the right thread for this, if not please correct me. I posted this before in the Smogon Simple Questions thread but that was ignored:/

I wanted to point out an inconsistency in the Strategy Dex on the Smogon site, which may confuse new players.

In the section Play Restrictions under OU under Formats it says
Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier.
[...]
Players cannot use the following items:
However, in the Play Restrictions of UU, RU and NU it simply says
Players cannot use Pokémon designated Uber, OU, BL, UU, BL2,RU, or BL3 (this one is from NU obviously)

So the inconsistency is that in OU the banned mega stones are mentioned explicitly, while in UU, RU, NU and PU they are not. Since Mega Gengar and co. are Uber, them not being allowed is already captured in the sentence "Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier.", so there is no need to mention them separately. And if you do want to mention them separately, for instance because people might not understand that a mega evolution can be tiered differently than its base form, then you should do it in all formats.

BTW, this problem is also present on the gen 6 part of the strategy dex to a much worse degree (for example on the UU section there is an arbitrary subset of the mega stones you are not allowed to use, since for example Mawilite is missing, while in the NU section Mawilite is mentioned), so maybe that should be fixed as well.

Also in the gen 7 dex, the Ability Restrictions differs a lot per page (PU,NU,RU,UU,OU) and not just because different abilities are banned in different tiers. For example, in UU shadow tag and arena trap are missing, while in RU and NU not even one ability is mentioned being banned.
Posted this 3 months ago, no objections were made, but it also was not fixed. It shouldn't take too long to fix it and can really help prevent any confusion among new players and consistency is always nice.

Mx

formerly mxmts
is a CAP Contributor
A small issue I noticed in the Gliscor OU analysis: It is mentioned that Gliscor can use an alternative EV spread of 244 HP/156 Def/112 Spe to better check physical threats (I assume this keeps the Jolly Nature used in the main spread), however if Gliscor wants to go physically defensive, I believe it should use 244 HP/54 Def/212 Spe, with a Impish nature, as this achieves the same speed, while gaining a few points in Defense.

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
In the first set of Kyogre's analysis, it is not explained why an Adamant nature is used instead of a Naughty nature. I don't think it's obvious to the average reader why a set with two special attacks off a Pokemon with base 180 Special Attack uses a Special Attack-decreasing nature.

There are two potential fixes:
  1. Add a bullet point with the explanation, which is likely something along the lines of "Ice Beam and Thunder pick up the OHKOs and 2HKOs they need to even with an Adamant nature. It is more important to preserve Primal Kyogre's fantastic special bulk to allow it to better check X Y Z."
  2. If, under reconsideration, it's decided by Ubers QC that Naughty is a better nature for the set than Adamant, then obviously the nature needs to be changed in the dex, along with a slight rewording of the bullet which talks about the nature.
Slight aside: maybe a better name for the set would be "Mixed Attacker" rather than "Physical Attacker" as half of its moves are special, or even "Physically-based Mixed Attacker," though that's a little clunkier.

Last edited:

Kris

everybody dies in their nightmares
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
http://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/skarmory/
Some sets have whirlwind and hidden power, and I'm pretty sure they would be better with roar and drill peck. I'm pretty sure the extra 10 base power is more likely to make a difference than the uselessness against soundproof Pokemon.
whirlwind is literally used so skarmory can hit everything and not worry about soundproof pokemon. if roar werent a sound move then sure drill peck + roar would be used but that's six less pokemon that skarmory can phaze out for more damage. sure drill peck has more base power but on top of the fact that roar is less viable, skarmory is not an offensive pokemon so the base power difference shouldnt matter.

Kris

everybody dies in their nightmares
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Why do most Shedinja movesets have adamant nature? Wouldn't lonely nature be better for weakening anything that tries to transform into Shedinja?
only one Pokemon can transform into Shedinja reliably (Ditto), and it runs Choice Scarf so it would just outspeed Shedinja anyways.

only one Pokemon can transform into Shedinja reliably (Ditto), and it runs Choice Scarf so it would just outspeed Shedinja anyways.
Shedinja has a sash, so that isn't entirely relevant, and there's always hitting on the switch. Considering having a higher defense stat confers 0 value, and a lower special attack isnt any better either, Lonely should strictly outclass.
252+ Atk Shedinja Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shedinja: 278-330 (92.6 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Shedinja Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Shedinja: 308-366 (102.6 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

E: I've submitted the change to all three xy analyses.

Last edited:

TheMantyke

Sentient Movepool Trivia
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/lickitung/

The second set has an illegal move combination. Curse is an Egg Move only move while Wish is an NYPC exclusive event move. I know nothing about Gen 3 NU, so I can't really suggest an edit that'll keep the set alive. I'm just going to point this out here for someone with more knowledge of the format to change as they'd like.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/lickitung/

The second set has an illegal move combination. Curse is an Egg Move only move while Wish is an NYPC exclusive event move. I know nothing about Gen 3 NU, so I can't really suggest an edit that'll keep the set alive. I'm just going to point this out here for someone with more knowledge of the format to change as they'd like.
It's not a particularly viable set anyway, since it loses to Hitmonchan, Rocks/Steels/Ghosts.
Oglemi remove the set? Or make it CroTung? I'll leave it up to you. This was your analysis.

Oglemi

oh my gosh you found me
is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Secret Boss Mod
It's not a particularly viable set anyway, since it loses to Hitmonchan, Rocks/Steels/Ghosts.
Oglemi remove the set? Or make it CroTung? I'll leave it up to you. This was your analysis.
The set can just be cut, it was better at the start of nu when I wrote it anyway when sableye wasn't as dominant and that was back when ps legalities for old gens was, apparently, off, (still is with catching event exclusives like farfetch'd).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)