Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

Art Posted. Member Made :) Darn this is awesome. It's a collection of our best works, for cryin' out loud! Thank you, AragornBird!

I'll add GD pics later.

EDIT: Here is, on request from Mordock, King...

...king? Funny how those names fuse, now that I think about it.

To me, it looks like he just swallowed a lemon... That's also apparently why he's green and yellow... lol. Fun sprite for sure.

C+C is highly smiled upon. As one can see.

Some of these sprites are really good. TV, yours is absolutely amazing. My vote goes to you.

You guys have been stepping your game up alot recently. I don't think I can compensate with school screwing with my creativity and having little time on my hands. I'll see if I can enter next week though.

AB, thanks for making the group. Joined it already, and I'll submit art.

@AB- You have to be the coolest man ever. Thanks!

All of the mass fusions are insanely good! This week is going to be a tough call.

I'll get some sprites up soonish. ._. So much band. So little time.

"Ash"

Five Pokemon fused, all of which Ash possessed at one time or another.

Pidgeotto+Totodile+Pikachu+Muk+Torkoal
Flying+Water+Electric+Poison+Fire

Finally up.

C+C.

Oh and awesome aragornbird, I'll put stuff up after school.

The ears look wierd because totodile's head is tilted but the ears aren't (Looks like one ear is coming out of the right eye). The smoke at the top and slime at the bottom looks very random, they're not connected to the sprite and don't seem to serve any purpose, especially since the colors don't really go with the sprite. That, and the mostly hidden pikachu tail really make the sprite look cluttered. Also, the the top of the right wing is completely behind the back spines, which makes it look like it's disconnected, or like it's coming out of Toto's *** instead being connected to the side of it's hip.

It was a cool idea, but it's hard to stick that much stuff on such a small base. If your going to "decorate" a sprite in this way, I suggest using a larger base.

Sorry if that was harsh, I hope you see what I'm saying though.

I like the idea Mordock. It just needs the shading on the dress fixed up. I'm sure there's a reason you didn't just use Gardevoir's, but at least for the shading use hers as an example.

Also, you've retained the bob part of the hair even though you've made her hair long. You'll have to remove Gardevoir's little curls of hair to the left and right of her neck.

Good luck with it though :)

I'm planning on restarting Pokémon Amethyst from scratch, and have decided to use a larger screen resolution. There's no point in limiting yourself to DS resolution if you;re not actually making a DS game.
Anyway, this means I'm also going to need all the Pokémon resprited to a higher resolution (in this case, 160x160). Obviously, I'm not going to attempt doing this by myself; it would take years :P
So I thought, why not make this a public resource to which anyone can contribute, and anyone can use? It would be selfish of me to keep such a project for my own use; besides, if it's public, people are more likely to help out :)

Here are some examples of what I mean (I made these in about an hour each yesterday):

Red is there for size comparison; I hate it that the official sprites are often not to scale (e.g. Pikachu in 3rd gen). This Gligar sprite is to scale; have a look at its dex entry (it's surprisingly big). Having the sprites to scale will also make the job a bit easier, since for smaller Pokémon like the aforementioned Pikachu, you wouldn't have to make it much bigger than the D/P sprite. I'm probably not going to use Red's sprite in-game.
Both sprites use 16 colours; Red's are taken from his official artwork, while Gligar's are from its HG/SS sprite. I used 4th gen shading on the Gligar.
I didn't do the backsprite, but I think it would suffice to resize and clean up the Platinum backsprites, which is pretty easy.
I was originally planning to do multiple frames - a 4-frame idle animation, as well as attacking and hurt frames. However, I've decided against that for now, as it would drastically increase the time it would take to complete this, and 99% of people wouldn't have a use for those anyway.
A new sprite resource would be useful for everyone. Existing spriters would have a larger pool of sprites to use for fusions, and would be able to make more detailed sprites. Wi-fi traders would have a different set of sprites to use for their trade threads. And game developers would be able to increase their resolution without pixelating everything (Shoddy Battle HD?). Finally, anyone contributing can use this as a chance to improve their sprinting skills and get feedback.

So, do any scratch spriters want to help out? I'm going to post this on other forums too, to try and get a largeish group of volunteers. If we can get around 10-20 people, we should be able to get at least one, probably 2 or 3, sprites done per day between them (if each person makes a sprite per week, which isn't overoptimistic given that a sprite will take an hour or two to complete). This means the whole Pokédex could be complete within a few months. With more people, it could get done faster.

So, what you're asking is for people to make 160x160 scratches? Or 160x160 pixel overs?

Either way, I'd be willing to help. But not in the one a day thing, so I might just contribute randomly.

Be warned I'm not that good at either...

I didn't say one a day, I said one a week :P

I don't mind if you do a pixel-over; in my opinion, that still counts as a scratch (since you're not using parts from any other sprites). The Gligar and Red sprites are both pixel-overs.

By the way, have you read any scratch spriting tutorials?

Oh.. right... reading problems. Yeah, I could probably do 1 per week.

I read all of the Cave of Dragonflies spriting guide, including scratching and pixel overs. Why?

I am doing a Ludicolo PO right now, I will finish it after my soccer game.

Oh, I would be happy to help out. But what are you going to do about the pokemon that are 20+ feet long? Or the ones that stand twice as a tall as a trainer? After all, there's a good reason that Game Freak never made the sprites to scale.

Dogfish, there's not much of a sprite to critique there. The leaves need black outline on the bottom, and the outline at the bottom of the sprite is broken. Otherwise it's fine. Try making bigger sprites so you can put more creativity into your design.

Oh, I would be happy to help out. But what are you going to do about the pokemon that are 20+ feet long? Or the ones that stand twice as a tall as a trainer? After all, there's a good reason that Game Freak never made the sprites to scale.
By scale, I believe he just meant "Big sprites are big, small sprites are small." That may have just been how I interpreted it, anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyhow, this actually sounds like a really fun idea. I've been wanting a good reason to give scratching a try (Canti makes me green with jealousy his are so good. ;-;) and this sounds like an excellent one. I don't know if the sprites I'll submit will be as excellent as your two, but I will at least give it a shot.

Wichu, why did you decide to start over completely? DS sprites are aesthetically pleasing enough, and haven't you been working on Amethyst for years?

In any case, I would love to contribute in some way, but my schedule leaves little time for even a single full scratch per week. I also have my doubts about how uniform the sprites created by 10-20 people will be. This sounds like it could be a disaster even if the project manages to hold the interest of that many people for several months and they manage to sprite every single Pokémon.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be taking you up on this one.

So, we get down to buissness. In all honesty, I was a bit intimidated by my first scratch/pixel over sprite. After lurking through the spriting thread for a long time before joining, I was well aware of Canti's, Headpunch's, and all the other great scratch spriters works. As such, I'm a bit nervous about mine. I don't think it turned out too bad... but I can't say it is excellent either. I can see a few issues that I'll have to retouch on, but I'd still like to get some C+C for my first try.

Explanation: I always loved this pose for Arcanine the most. I just feel it showed of his majestic power so much more efficiently. So, you can see where that influenced it. I wanted it to be in more of a "Howl at the moon" style pose than the tongue lolling one it was in there, though.

I think I'll actually try a pure scratch sprite later.

Wichu, why did you decide to start over completely? DS sprites are aesthetically pleasing enough, and haven't you been working on Amethyst for years?

In any case, I would love to contribute in some way, but my schedule leaves little time for even a single full scratch per week. I also have my doubts about how uniform the sprites created by 10-20 people will be. This sounds like it could be a disaster even if the project manages to hold the interest of that many people for several months and they manage to sprite every single Pokémon.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be taking you up on this one.
Obviously we would edit each other's sprites to keep uniformity. It will be necessary to edit and refine the less experienced spriters works anyway. I also have hardly enough time to do a scratch a week, so it would definitely be a good idea to get everyone's help on this.

I mean, do you think Gamefreak only had 1 or 2 artists do all 493 sprites?

I'm far from an expert spriter at all, but I can give you some things that look wrong aesthetically.

• The one that jumps out the most, to me, is his front left leg (our right). It looks like he's standing on the tip of his toes. If you add some shading to where his ankle would be to make it look more bent, then it would be a bit better.
  • Still on the same leg, the stripe is a tad bit too light, which makes the entire leg look very bright compared to the rest and makes it really stand out (I understand you got it from the FR/LG sprite, but that one looks a bit bright to me too).
  • The stripes on his back are super blocky. Try to smooth those out.
  • His left upper lip drops a little too much. The lip to the right of the left upper fang should be a bit more open?
  • The fur is kind of blocky, but I understand as it's your first sprite.
  • The eye that we see should be partially covered. As we're looking up at his face from below, the fluffy mane should obscure a tad bit of the eye. As it is, it looks very awkwardly large. XD
That's pretty much the absolute worst I could say.

But what do I know? >_>

Nice job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)