Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some tentative lineart for Raikou:

I'm very new to pixel-overing so c+c would be great.
It looks pretty good, though I do have a few nitpicks. Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to post them currently. Hope for them soon, though. Again, it's a very good start. Whole lot better than my first, for sure. :)

Welcome to the spriting thread LR. Finally retiring from competitive battling like I did? Jk jk.

C+C: there are pink artifacts all over your picture, which means you saved as a .jpeg. Pixel art 101: Always save pixel art as PNG. Jpeg Leaves those artifacts and doesn't preserve the correct color, which ruins your color palette. As fir the pixel work itself, the outline has a lot places where it is not 1 pixel thick, and where the Lines are crooked or are mishaped. I'm typing this on a phone right now so I can't show you, but when I get to my computer I'll make you an edit showing the mistakes.

Pretty much what Canti said. Except I must emphasize, NEVER EVER EVER SAVE SPRITE IMAGES AS .JPG. It completely ruins the outline/sprite/whatever unless you have a backup (or if you're willing to do the repair work, but that can take while).

Besides that, the line art is great, amazing for a first (or second/third) try.

[personal stuff]I think I'm going to enter WSC 10 and try for that suicune. I'll have to get my spriting gears working again and get a good idea.
I've made a desktop background and a planet about to explode on paint.net if anyone's interested. I also made a few cool text effects too :D

I got final fantasy III the other day. It's ****ing awesome and I'm already addicted to it.[/personal stuff]

I'll try to be around more in this next week guys.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's nice to see LR and LF around here.

I reconverted your picture back into PNG form for you. Very easy to do with Paint.net

I will also post my in depth edits and critiques of the flaws in this line art as an edit. I wanted to get this to you ASAP so you don't waste time re pixeling this. As a Preview, I circled the mistakes that I found in purple and blue. And there were definitely more.

And L337ness, I know the JPEG rule is very important to all of us, but please don't yell at our up and coming pixel artists.

Blue stuff is where the line is more than one pixel thick, and purple stuff is where your curves are crooked. I actually wrote a whole lot more than this, but when I tried to post it I had gotten logged out and I lost everything. So here's the cut down version. Same concepts though.

There's an extra pixel attached to your line there. See it? When you leave those extra pixels attached to your lines, it makes these little jags appear in the picture.

For points, you always want the end to only be one pixel thick. For diagonal points, stick that last pixel in between the the final two. For points that follow a cardinal direction, the last pixel should be between the the final two and one pixel above them.

Now for the crookedness in the lines:

Take a look at the line that makes up the design on the inside of Raikou's front leg. As you follow the straight vertical lines that make up this curved line, count how many pixels are in each one. Starting at the top, it's 5,1,1,2,1,2,1,1. Because the lines are decreasing out of order, you gate a very choppy looking curve. To make a smooth curve, you need to increase/decrease the lengths of your straight lines in order. Take my edit for example. 4,2,2,1,1,1,1,1. See the lines get shorter at a more even rate, and it makes the curve look much smoother?

These crooked curves plague your entire piece. Here's another example

Same thing here. Your front of the fang curves at a very wierd rate of 4,5,1,3,1, starting from the top line. The back of the fang also has a wierd curve, at 9,4. In my edit, I changed the front fang to a cruve of 6,3,2,2,1, and the back curve to a less drastic 7,6. I used this example because you can also see my rule of the diagonal point in action.

Oh yeah, and everyone who's coloring my sprites, you can stop now. I've decided to color them myself, I need the practice in color theory anyway.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks so much, and don't worry I had a backup PNG saved. I'll play around with all your edits and post updates as I work on this.

Other ideas I had for the WSC but not entering. There are a few almost unnoticable flaws in the outlines, but I can't try to fix them at the moment due to college stuff. Deoxys was the only one that came out exactly like I wanted.

Dang DarthVader, those are pretty awesome. They all actually look like they would evolve into their respective legendary. The only one that seems weird is the Lati one. It pretty much looks like a shrunk down version of whichever lati that is. But other than that, the rest are really nice.

Well, as advised, here's the alterations to my previous entry. Thoughts? Still looking too similar to Deoxys (though remember that was my original intention.) TBH I'm pretty stumped on alternative ideas, so I hope I don't win because some of the entries so far are fantastic and original. But yeah, should I alter my current entry?

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
DarthVader, I'd very much like to use that Raikou prevolution as an avatar, if you could provide me with a link (I'll give credit, of course).

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone is able to make me a Banner and a Logo. Due to my secretive nature, I would rather this be done via PM's.

Thanks in advance

I restored half of what I had worked on. I saw you were going to do it yourself now, but also saw you wanted to see what I had done, so I'll upload this. It's basically a rough work on coloring and minor shading with the sprite's colors.

Thanks for posting that Pink, it looks like it would have come out pretty good if you had finished.

Here's my version that I'm quite fond of:

didn't really like the games pallette so I used my own.

DV: That Ho-oh chick is awesome, exactly what I was imagining. You really excel at small sprites.

Wizwum: A good improvement. I like the head. Try and curve the red tentacle a little more and make the bend in the green tentacle less harsh. It looks like the green tentacle has a kink in it.

:)

Well, Canti beat me to criticisms. So... eh.

Yeah, I am actually having a lazy streak right now. Attempting to fix, but MonPoc Series 4 is stealing my life. I did do Tyranitar for the GDN, although my laziness made its legs look funny. Curses. Maybe I can fix that over the weekend.

GDN041: Tyranitar

So yeah, C+C is highly smiled upon.

I'll prob do my prevo and start working on the CAP submission over the weekend. Hopefully that will kill the lazy streak. :/

And L337ness, I know the JPEG rule is very important to all of us, but please don't yell at our up and coming pixel artists.
If that's what it seemed like I was doing, LR, sorry. I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Gonna go off and make some cool stuff in paint.NET now.

Hey, LR did it, so naturally I copy him. I tried Entei, but it was too difficult, so I did Lunatone instead. This was my first line art. So I guess c+c.

Edit: Here's the original artwork, just for comparison:

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks good Loedoc, but I have some qualms nearer what you might call the 'tips' of the moon shape where the line looks thicker (it's probably more than one pixel). The same can be said for parts of the bottom right 'crater' (at least the one that is supposedly curving around lunatone).

Other ideas I had for the WSC but not entering. There are a few almost unnoticable flaws in the outlines, but I can't try to fix them at the moment due to college stuff. Deoxys was the only one that came out exactly like I wanted.

Very impressive indeed

The Ho-oh one is perfect, and kind of comical... such a majestic, powerful bird evolving from a colourful chicken :P

The Entei is an interesting spin, I didn't recognise it at first and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't next to Raikou and Suicune... but it's creative, pulled off well and I like it :)

Raikou and Suicune are both really good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)