Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not based on any ROM. It's like an ordinary PC game that you download and play. If it was a hack of a ROM, there's no way I'd be able to use sprites that big :P

And yeah, just resize the background. The sprite size is fine (maybe a few pixels too big, but it doesn't matter).

EDIT: Finished Lairon. Did I miss any shading or anything?

There's three variations, the first two with sprite style shading, the left one having the sprite colours too. Take your pick. :) And yes, I most likely will do more. Will you have sprite size limitations? Cos I would quite like to do Steelix. :P

EDIT: Posted before seeing the sizes. In that case, how will you do the larger Pokémon?

Imo, I'd pick the one on the far right due to it having great shading. The one on the far left, it's shading is good, but it looks like it wet itself on the leaf.

The first one is probably the best, although as Lord Blood said, the shading on the petals is a little odd.

The larger Pokémon should be shrunk until they fit in the 160x160 box. There's not much that can be done about that; that's how Nintendo does it anyway.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Tentacruel was pretty horrible to do D: fortunately I discovered that it was already in proportion :D

C+C please

EDIT: I actually fixed some lineart as I was going through.

There's three variations, the first two with sprite style shading, the left one having the sprite colours too. Take your pick. :) And yes, I most likely will do more. Will you have sprite size limitations? Cos I would quite like to do Steelix. :P

EDIT: Posted before seeing the sizes. In that case, how will you do the larger Pokémon?
The left one for sure, the shading on the other one is really wierd, and the colors too washed out. Maybe de saturate the colors In the left one just a little bit so they don't burn he retina, but the colors on the right are too drab.

Steelix could easily be done to scale, you just need to use the right perspective. I might give it a try later this week. Wailord would probably have to be shrunken tho, that thing is huge no matter what angle or pose you use.

Yes, that is cool.

Are you going to include all of the fully-evolved fighting types? If so, will that include Fist Plate Arceus and Arghonaut?
Right now, my goal is to get sprite sheets and animations done for Hitmonlee and Blaziken and then build the game. Once I get a functioning demo built, then I'll continue to add more characters.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I somehow managed, with some excellent advice from TVBoyCanti, to get from this:

to this:

I'm pretty proud of it since I think it came out quite good for my first 160x160 sprite. Would still greatly appreciate comments and criticism though, thanks.

EDIT: Sprite has 16 colours, 15 are from Raikou's HGSS sprite, and I swapped one little used colour for a darker sky blue to shade Raikou's mask and tail.

It looks quite good, Legacy. Is it just me, or does the tuft of fur on its belly have a black line that is two pixels thick?

So, I'm helping out with project Amethyst, and thos eof you who have no clue what it is, I'll feel free to fill you in. ^_^

Project Amethyst is a Pixel Project for Wichu's fan game, Pokemon Amethyst. He is remaking the game to fit a larger screen with better graphics and the like. So, he needs knew sprites (in HGSS style), which have to be larger. Therefore, all 500(rounded up) pokemon will need to be re-sprited. Many people have already started helping over at SPPF, along with here (happily), and soon over at PC.

Thank you everyone who is helping.

I somehow managed, with some excellent advice from TVBoyCanti, to get from this:

to this:

I'm pretty proud of it since I think it came out quite good for my first 160x160 sprite. Would still greatly appreciate comments and criticism though, thanks.

EDIT: Sprite has 16 colours, 15 are from Raikou's HGSS sprite, and I swapped one little used colour for a darker sky blue to shade Raikou's mask and tail.
Now, for some crit for you. :)

The sprite itself is okay for being your fisrt 160x160 sprite/pixel over. The shading and lines are for the most part okay, but not exactly great. So if you could change them in the following ways, it would help.

On the cheeks. If you could die down the middle shade of gray a bit, and make them a single pixel at the end of the dark gray(make sense?) then it would help with it not seeming over-shaded like it looks.

The headpiece is way too irregular, which is not how the official art looks. If you could somehow smoothen the lines, make them closer to how the sprite looks, then it would help with making it better too. Actually, a lot of your lines, especially the patterns and tail, could use some work. Just a tad though. :) Just smoothen ou the lines and try to copy the style of the HGSS sprite.

The final thing would be to maybe add a small highlight to the chest-area and make a better contrast of shades for the blue and brightest yellow. They're barely noticeable.

But overall, although I picked a lot out, you did well.

Okay, I made some changes to my lineart from the previous page, then went ahead and colored it.

C+C please!

EDIT: Well, I finished my Darkrai lineart. Again, C+C.

Also, I'm seconding the idea of a seperate Pokemon Amethyst thread. Maybe you could even start a new forum or something, like Project Wiimon did.

Might I suggest a seperate thread for this project now, seeing as it seems to have obtained a sizable following. It'd make it easier to keep track of whats been done (and would be especially handy if there was a list of whats been done in the first post, both here and at Serebii, along with a link to the other thread.)

I redid the shading on the petals to match how it is in the art, rather than the sprite. Thoughts? Hopefully I can get started on Chikorita and Bayleef soon.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Shaymin pixel over! For Pokemon Amethyst. WIP

C + C much appreciated (first pixel over, I know I suck >_<)
Will colour tomorrow.

Legacy Raider

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
skymin flower remember that if you're doing this for amethyst you should make the pixel over the same size as the Pokemon would be in comparison to this sprite of Red:

The sprite also needs to be a max of 160x160 pixels - your one is 167x141.

Shaymin is 0'08", Red is 4'8". This Platinum sprite is in fact larger than it proportionately would be. If you are intent on making a new sprite for it, take careful note of its size.

Also, thanks for the comments Aquakip, I'll update my Raikou soon. Also, as a size comparison for Raikou with Red:

I think that looks to be about right.

There's a little problem with the sizes, though. Before I started my Cresselia lineart, I tried using Dialga. I resized the official art to be the about the same proportion that it says in the Diamond Pokedex...and it's a lot bigger than a 160 by 160 square. Should we just say that anything that'll wind up bigger than 160 by 160 should just be made small enough to fit into the square?

Alchemator

Just as a note, over the next week while I don't have internet connection it is possible that I MAY do some of the following (not all of them though lol):

Ekans-Arbok-Tentacool-Tentacruel-Kangaskhan-Staryu-Starmie-Sentret-Furret-Murkrow-Stantler-Poocheyena-Mighteyena-Zigzagoon-Linoone-Wingull-Pelipper-Nosepass-Sableye-Meditite-Medicham-Plusle-Minun-Zangoose-Seviper-Solrock-Baltoy-Claydol-Kecleon-Wynaut-Bidoof-Bibarel-Ambipom-Drifloon-Drifblim-Glameow-Purugly-Chatot-Croagunk-Toxicroak-Probopass-Honchkrow

Obviously I won't get all of these done, but it would be nice if no-one chose any of these in the next week or so - Then again I can easily drop a few before tomorrow afternoon when I'm leaving.
My post from yesterday, figured I'd bring it up since there's a lot more people on this project now. I'm leaving in about an hour.

And of course, this isn't just a post revival. I fanced something different in fusions so:

Um... yeah...

There's a little problem with the sizes, though. Before I started my Cresselia lineart, I tried using Dialga. I resized the official art to be the about the same proportion that it says in the Diamond Pokedex...and it's a lot bigger than a 160 by 160 square. Should we just say that anything that'll wind up bigger than 160 by 160 should just be made small enough to fit into the square?
Yeah, that's how it will work. If you're spriting a very large Pokémon, it would be best if you used a pose which makes the Pokémon take up a lot of room in the 160x160 box, to make it look larger.

EDIT: Sure, Alchemator, we'll keep that in mind :) I was thinking about doing Ambipom myself, but if you want to do it, go ahead.

Legacy Raider

Would it be alright for me to 'reserve' Suicune and Tyranitar? Having done Raikou I feel I'd be able to do Suicune in a similar style considering their similarities. For Tyranitar I've got a really good pose that I drew a couple of months ago which I could use as the basis for the lineart to make a really quite dynamic sprite. Thanks.

Alchemator

Go ahead and do Ambipom Wichu, as you can see I can drop a few ;) but on one condition! You get a Pokemon Amethyst thread up - if you don't I will lol :D

Thanks for the info, Wichu. Anyway, I finished my Darkrai. I ripped the colors from the HGSS sprite, and I have to say, it isn't really the best pallete ever. The shadows are too dark, and the highlights are too light-at least, on the main body. Here it is:

May the spriting gods cast their C+C on this image. Also, I'm thinking of doing Blastoise next. I'm also thinking of drawing an image of Staraptor and pixeling over it. We can use our own images to pixel over, right?

EDIT: Thanks again, Wichu. I'm also hoping for an Amethyst thread, just to collect art and stuff for now. By the way, what is the thread for this on Serebii called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)