Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these any better?

and...

I redid the shield too, really hated the other versions. Definetely like these the best! (The regular Tyrogue without the hat is my favourite of the two though).

Here is everything:

Mah sprites. I hate introductions, let's get on with it.

: WSC 13 entry for Smogon.
: WSC 57 entry for Serebii.
: Fabulous fusion entry for Keckleoshrew of Serebii.
: WSC 12 entry for Smogon.​

: Red Bull gives you wiiiiings.​

​

I'll add in descriptions when I can be bothered. Feel free to request sprites from me, and make sure to C+C. :D​

Btw, did you read my comment a few posts back? Looks like you fixed most of the problems I saw with it if you didn't, though. I agree though, I say ditch the hat.

@PHunter: Are those Chao versions? Just curious, since they really remind me of Chao.

Btw, did you read my comment a few posts back? Looks like you fixed most of the problems I saw with it if you didn't, though. I agree though, I say ditch the hat.

@PHunter: Are those Chao versions? Just curious, since they really remind me of Chao.
They are indeed chao versions. :3

Taking suggestions for new additions to my Politoed dex.

Thought I'd show my progress so far:

Yeah, I did read it. I tried to fix most of the things you pointed out. Hope its okay now.

Hello, everybody! You guys haven't seen much from me lately, so I decided to scratch a trainer sprite.

"Hipster Eric wants to battle!"

I wanted to make sure my spriting skills don't get too rusty - I haven't scratched anything in at least a month, I believe. Tell me what you think, please.

That's pretty good for a month's absense, HP. The only thing I'd reccomend would be shading the right arm a bit more. Looks kinda flat. Great job, though.

Hello, everybody! You guys haven't seen much from me lately, so I decided to scratch a trainer sprite.

"Hipster Eric wants to battle!"

I wanted to make sure my spriting skills don't get too rusty - I haven't scratched anything in at least a month, I believe. Tell me what you think, please.
Hey headpunch, nice sprite ya got there, crazy hairdo ^_^. The pose looks kind of off-balance though, even if he is walking, Hes leaning too far to the left. Straightening out the stepping leg just a bit would also visually untangle the legs at the knees. Right now it doesn't read well which leg is which cause of the knees overlapping.

I like the hair though! :D

Okay, so they aren't THAT impressive, but...

... Yeeah, my main talent's in trainer sprites, but even then, I'm terrible at makin' them from scratch. I'm sure most people'll figure out the bases I've used for 'em. ;^^

XandZero2 said:
That's pretty good for a month's absense, HP. The only thing I'd reccomend would be shading the right arm a bit more. Looks kinda flat. Great job, though.
I knew someone might mention this, so I double-checked any precedents of his arm position among official sprites. It appears, based on the girl in the Young Couple's sprite, that outstretched arms that are directly facing the viewer (and that have no bending that would cause foreshortening) are not shaded in the way you're thinking of.

TVboyCanti said:
Hey headpunch, nice sprite ya got there, crazy hairdo ^_^. The pose looks kind of off-balance though, even if he is walking, Hes leaning too far to the left. Straightening out the stepping leg just a bit would also visually untangle the legs at the knees. Right now it doesn't read well which leg is which cause of the knees overlapping.

I like the hair though! :D
You're right in that he looks off-balance; that's the very nature of still motion. However, I wasn't particularly worried about it, considering that many official sprites appear to be more off-balance than my own. As for the legs, I would prefer not to change them - if you look closely, you can see that his stepping leg is already very straight; the curve of the front of his leg, all the way from his thigh down to his shin, is only created by a single pixel's difference. A completely straight line would make it look very unnatural. Finally, and this may just be my bias, I don't really see the legs around the knee area as visually confusing. I looked closely at it for awhile and I suppose I'm just not seeing what you are.

Thank you for the criticism, both of you. If I weren't a bit too lazy, I would probably make changes instead of arguing.

Heylo there! :D
I'm new to spriting, and just did a couple revamps to get myself started. These two revamps are my very first attempts at spriting, and I think they turned out decent.
Eventually I suppose I'll try fusing, but for now, revamps! :D

Butterfree from Yellow, upped to this generation, of course.

Mew, again from Yellow. I quite like this pose, and I think it looks great in current generation colors. :D

Geez, you guys can get a lot done in 6 days :D I just got carpet, which is why I was absent for a week. I'm getting around to hooking up my printer (with a scanner :P) soon, so I should be able to start scratching a few things.

XandZero, that avatar is freakin' amazing. Next time I want an avatar, I'll go to you.

Radar: Nice to see yet another new spriter around here. Those revamps are pretty good for a first time. As far as the butterfree revamp goes, the shading has a few small places on the stomach. The
Code:
 _
_ _
shading on the lower part of the stomach should be flat. The dithering (checkerboard shading) near the eye looks wrong, but I can't place why. Also, the outline needs to have less black and more of that violetish color.
Other than that, it's pretty good.

Fix the eyes :\
They look completely different than what they should look like; it's creeping me out.
I assume you mean on the Mew?
I tried making them white like the current sprite, but because of the positioning of the head it looked really weird. I dunno what else to do to it. x.o

Radar: Nice to see yet another new spriter around here. Those revamps are pretty good for a first time. As far as the butterfree revamp goes, the shading has a few small places on the stomach. The shading on the lower part of the stomach should be flat. The dithering (checkerboard shading) near the eye looks wrong, but I can't place why. Also, the outline needs to have less black and more of that violetish color.
Other than that, it's pretty good.
What do you mean by it should be flat? It isn't dithered or anything, which is the only thing I can think of for some reason. x.o I agree that it looks wrong at the eye, now that I look at it. I'll fix that. Most of the outline is around the darkest shadow (the near-black on the edge of the wings), so pretty much the only color option is black. I'll try to make it not-black wherever the darkness of the wing isn't, I guess.

I assume you mean on the Mew?
I tried making them white like the current sprite, but because of the positioning of the head it looked really weird. I dunno what else to do to it. x.o
Add another pixel width to the right side of our left eye, then keep messing around with which pixels are blue and which are white until it looks similar to the one on the official sprite. Don't use any black on the eyes, it'll make it easier.

i not that good at sprites but i think ill leave that for you guys to decide

here is a town I have been working on, i call it steelore town, and thats registeel in the ruins by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)