VGC Smell ya later with this inspired by Blue's Pokemon Team (VGC2020)

Well, the idea was in the back of my head for some time (being Blue my favorite trainer and with the recent video of Wolfey running red's team) I decided to try and make a Pokemon team for doubles inspired by all the Pokemon Blue used in the series, I hope you find it fun and if you have any suggestions or ideas all are welcome. (Mind that I'm a rookie at building and even more on Doubles so my explanations of each Pokemon might be a little too loose or my train of though wrong so with that in mind, here's the team).

Arcanine @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Since Intimidate it's kinda the thing for controlling attackers, Arcanine it's the first skill user of this team. With a set intended to maximize his attack specialty not much coverage but the Extreme Speed priority I think its cool to have. Also Protect, LOTS of Protect on this team and a Figy Berry to get some recover.

Venusaur @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Grass Pledge
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb

Officially Venasaur it's not the canonical starter for Blue but since it changes depending on what Red picked I decided to run it. Chlorophyll in case there's a sun team around and built to being annoying with sleep powder and make some havoc with his special attack. Also Protect and a Focus Sash in case I get dumb and someone sweeps it, at least ensuring a try to make the opponents Pokemon go to take a nap.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Protect

Another Intimidate on the team to make its more annoying I usually lead with him or with Arcanine. The rest it's a pretty usual moveset for a Gyarados, Waterfall and Bounce gave me quite a good result against frecuent leads like Whimsicott or Torkoal, a Whip to get some coverage and Protect because if I can put protect I will. The Sitrus Berry, like the Fire doggo it's for some recovery.

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rock Slide
- High Horsepower
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Intended to Hold some punches and cause some heavy damage if he's able to resist and activate the policy. So far it's the Pokemon I used the least or if its there I use it to lure the other player to pay attention to him. Solid Rock is there to make him have a little more chance to survive and enable it to do damage. Rock slide to hit several targets and because I think it's a great move to have.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Rock Slide
- Bullet Punch
- Poison Jab

Another Bulky dud, some coverage I lack with poison and steel moves. Some extra priority with bullet punch and the assault vest with the intention of making him a Pokemon hard to put down. I use no guard to enable him to hit Dynamic punch at 100% chance and be able to confuse consistently. Again Rock Slide to have more than one option to fire this attack.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Superpower

The usual Tyranitar we all love/hate. Able to cause some residual damage and with his sand stream and with an expert belt (because I have no idea what else to put on him). Dark Crunch for stab and with some luck breaking some defensive walls. Rock Slide because like I said I think it's a great move, Protect because better safe than sorry and Superpower to do some nasty damage. I usually swap it after a few hits to have a second Sand Stream trigger ready.

And that's it! I hope the team it's at least fun to put some thought into it. I personally love it and would like to take it to the maximum possible on the ladder so like I said any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Have a great day and if you're here thanks for reading!

As you are trying to build a specific team I guess I can't change out any Pokemon, although If you wanted to make a serious VGC team that would allow you to do well in tournaments and top the ladder then I would recommend running Trick-Room support for Rhyperior. Having a Dusclops is a really important thing for Rhyperior as it can both make it move first and activate Weakness Policy, but because I can't make any major changes I will just make minor suggestions and change your sets.

Starting with Arcanine I am not a fan of the set that you currently have with an offensive set that runs Figy Berry instead, I think that if you want to go for an attacker than replace Protect for Wild Charge and do a Choice Band set. If a recovery item is what you want then you need bulk to make it work and so I recommend a more standard support Arcanine set.

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Level: 50
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Snarl
- Extreme Speed / Morning Sun / Safeguard

The last move can also be Protect, it doesn't matter it just depends on what you like and feel that the team needs. EVs can also be changed to suit whatever your personal preference is, but a set like this will allow you to burn dangerous physical attackers like Excadrill and Snarl the special attackers.

Venusaur I would make Timid because you don't have a way to set the sun and I would drop Grass Pledge for Energy Ball as without Fire or Water Pledge your Grass Pledge is just an 80 power grass move compared to the higher power of 90 from energy ball.

Gyarados is the same thing as Arcanine either go for a Life Orb set if you want it to be offensive or make it bulkier if you want to run Sitrus Berry.
Power Whip can be replaced by Earthquake if you want a way to activate Rhyperior's Weakness Policy.
Maybe because of Sitrus Berry you replace Protect for Dragon Dance and then you can get a DD off and heal up any damage you take on the setup turn and then sweep, protect is not as essential on the ladder because it is Bo1 and not Bo3 like big tournaments which are mainly what VGC content creators are preparing for and know/talk about when giving advice is the Bo3 format. Status moves become Max Guard in Dynamax so that helps too.

Rhyperior I would drop Fire Blast as it is special and you are a physical attacker, use Fire Punch as your Fire coverage, and also go for a more offensive EV spread by taking your nature and EVs out of Def and putting them into Atk.

Machamp is an example of why you should EV your Pokemon at Lvl 50 for VGC. You are running 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD giving you 196 HP and 106 Sp.Def but because of how EVs work at Lvl 50 this is inefficient instead you want 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD because you keep the same Sp.Def stat but gain 1 point of HP or you could reverse it and do 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD to keep 196 HP and gain a point of Sp.Def

Lastly, on Tyranitar, I think that Life Orb and Lum Berry are better items than Expert Belt.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I will try to adjust the team with them and let you know c:

Also, there are some extra Pokemon that I could use. Those are Ninetales, Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Cloyster, Blastoise, Charizard (the other starters) and (at least in the future when the expansion hits since right now there are not in the Galarian Pokedex) Aerodactyl, Exeggutor, Alakazam, Pidgeot, Magneton and Heracross. I know it's a really thin set of Pokemon but what I'm trying to do its to make the best team from them (even if they're not really a threat to meta based teams).

It looks like it is working however, I was under the impression that you wanted to play VGC and not Doubles OU because playing those formats are too different things. Something like Bounce on Gyarados works a lot better in VGC because you can Dynamax it and use Max Airstream to get 1 turn speed boosts, while in Doubles OU it was useful in not getting hit by Thunder Punch from Conk, but that isn't the main use for it. Once DLC is out I think that Aerodactly would be a fun mon to dry out with Rock Blast and Dragon Dance and other new moves that returning Pokemon are getting.

Oh that was my mistake, Didn't knew I could simulate VGC Battles and instead just went for OU Doubles hehe. What should I swap for the Aerodactyl? Tyranitar?

I don't really know as it isn't out yet. chances are that VGC meta will change whenever the DLC comes out and if that happens then what the best possible team you can make out of those pokemon would change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)