Smocktail requires a worthy artist...

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is Smocktail...

Smocktail was first conceived on February 3, 2010, after what would otherwise have been an uninspiring conversation (non-tl;dr is underlined):

6:08 PM
igarvey: ill be here till 8 again
really not worth living imo
6:13 PM ntrin or nttrin or ntrinn or nttrinn or ntrin or nttrin or ntrinn or nttrinn or ntryn or nttryn or ntrynn or nttrynn or ntryn or nttryn or ntrynn or nttrynn
6:15 PM me: at least get some food
6:19 PM igarvey: gs=(restaur* or diner* or cafe* or cater* or bistro* or pub or pubs or dining* or dinner* or fastfood* or fast food* or carryout* or carry out* or takeout* or take out* or tavern* or grill* or bar or bars or drink* or eat* or deli* or steakhous* or lunch* or hamburg* or burger* or cheeseburger* or burger or *burgers or supper or hotdog* or hot dog* or sandwich*)
6:20 PM me: where is grille
oh, grill*
igarvey: it's covered duh
gs=(tea room* or tearoom* or buffet* or snack* or pizz* or parlor* or parlour* or pasta* or salad* or vegetarian* or vegan* or kosher* or halal* or dive* or joint* or smorgas* or trattoria* or tapas* or cantina* or raw bar* or brunch* or breakfast* or sushi* or meal* or cocktail*)
me: smeargle'
s gonna evolve
into Smocktail
igarvey
: SMOCKTAIL
LMFAO
6:21 PM
SMOCK + TAIL
COCKTAIL
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GIVEIT A PRETENTIOUS WINE GLASS

me: i honestly dont know whwere i get this shit lol
hahaahha
hahaahahhahahhah
igarvey: TURN IT FROM A DOPE INTO A PRETENTIOUS
CARRYING A PRETENTIOUS COCKTAIL GLASS
hahhaaha im lolign
me: "Um, this fine art is rather....above your sensibilities. Good day."
6:22 PM what ability
should it pertain to the cocktail glass
6:23 PM igarvey: hahaha
art snob
6:24 PM me: ironically it does know everything about art...
igarvey: basically just intimidate with a different name
but lowers sp atk
me: its pretense is therefore not really pretense!
igarvey: lol
me: ok
igarvey: special intimidate
thats fnuny
the Snob pokemon
me: haha
igarvey: w/ special intimidate
6:25 PM me: "Humble"
thats the verb form
6:26 PM like intimidate
igarvey: no that sonuds like modest too much
me: i know
6:27 PM hm what makes you feel like you're really dumb and shouldnt talk about anything when an expert is present
6:28 PM "Outclass"
lol
The foe SMOCKTAIL's Outclass lowered ALAKAZAM'S Special Attack!
6:29 PM igarvey: lol

2:17 PM igarvey: smocktail
2:18 PM me: Smocktail
what stats
2:19 PM man it is so EASY to imagine a pretentious, nose-upturned beagle with a beret and a highball glass
i'm about to draw it myself
igarvey: 100 hp / 50 atk / 100 def / 80 sp atk / 130 sp def / 50 speed
2:20 PM lol but sketch
me: that's quite an increase lol
igarvey: broken

2:25 PM igarvey: smocktail
how did you come up with that lol
me: its to the point where smeargle already had a highball in his hand
2:26 PM the last thing you pasted was or cocktail*
something like that
igarvey: smorgas* and cocktail*
me: and i felt like making a random comment about that

3:09 PM me: Smocktail used Yawn!
Chatot used Chatter!
Smocktail used Yawn!
Jynx used Attact!
Smocktail used Yawn!
Arceus used Judgment!
Smocktail used Yawn!
3:10 PM ok, smocktail now learns yawn every single level after it evolves
6 minutes3:16 PM igarvey: lmao
lmfaooo
5 minutes3:22 PM igarvey: smocktail
it's unbelievable how perfect that name is
smock + mock + cocktail + tail + sounds like snob kinda
3:24 PM me: i know
you had to point out my own genius to me lol
3:25 PM plus beginning with the same two letters
igarvey: ya
me: plus the "tail" being as much a reference to a dog as "-eargle" is
igarvey: should it be wearing a smock
and a beret
with a cocktail in hand
me: i think that's mandatory
3:26 PM thsi is the best pokemon ever
i am taking over CAP
igarvey: it has to have its face permanently turned to the side with its nose in the air
me: yes

So later in the year, Smocktail was finally given life...the life 15 minutes of a uni-ball Vision pen, a piece of scratch paper, and very raw artistic talent could grant it. Smocktail needs...*ahem*...demands your help. Who is keen enough to appease the true, living color form of Smocktail?

Smocktail, for one, needs a smock. He had removed it momentarily, as he often does when particularly engrossed in a burst of creativity. But what Smocktail really needs is a worthy artist. Are you that artist? Prove it to Smocktail.

wow, i might have a go at this, and GTS, that is an amazing pose! but maybe it could do with a bit more outline, im having trouble seeing the glass on my maximum brightness PC ;)

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
GTS you unequivocally rock for rocking such awesome attempts already. You nailed the pinky which is really important for the persona.

One further suggestion would be a smock to complete the outfit. Also I'm not sure how in love I am with purple as a color. I think a burgundy or a deeper blue would be more ideal. Purple seems to suggest a certain...gay air, with its current pose (which may also need tinkering so as not to give the same impression) and the pinky, and that's not what we want I think Smocktail wants. Great work though nonetheless!

GTS you unequivocally rock for rocking such awesome attempts already. You nailed the pinky which is really important for the persona.

One further suggestion would be a smock to complete the outfit. Also I'm not sure how in love I am with purple as a color. I think a burgundy or a deeper blue would be more ideal. Purple seems to suggest a certain...gay air, with its current pose (which may also need tinkering so as not to give the same impression) and the pinky, and that's not what we want I think Smocktail wants. Great work though nonetheless!
^__^
my original design had him as a beatnik in a black turtleneck, but i didnt want to stray too far from the concept.

as for the color, i think i agree now that you mention it.

dig yrs fatecrashers, i might try and remake it in illustrator

OH i didnt include glasses cuz i thought.. how pokemon get clothes

but w/e!

Its nose should be more upturned and looking off to the side. Its hand should be holding the cocktail as pretentiously as possible (with the stem of the glass between the middle and ring fingers)

Its nose should be more upturned and looking off to the side. Its hand should be holding the cocktail as pretentiously as possible (with the stem of the glass between the middle and ring fingers)
completed at SMOCK-3 SPEEDS

i attempted that hand position (pretty sure i butchered it) but, this position does thwart any chance of that outstretched and classy pinky stylo

completed at SMOCK-3 SPEEDS

i attempted that hand position (pretty sure i butchered it) but, this position does thwart any chance of that outstretched and classy pinky stylo
This is good, it just needs to look a bit more pissed off and judgmental like Fatecrasher's

Jumpman16

wow we have some amazing artists here, you all put out some really good work!

finished that thought

i love you, this is basically perfect. only very minor aesthetic changes would even need to be considered, like perhaps a crimson smock and white beret/scarf (switching colors basically). I like the white switch cause that's the color artist caps are.

also, with minor tinkering i think you can make him look more haughty than angry...like the slightest ever "flattening" of its upper eye line would solve that, and give it more of a brow-raised indifference (i doo see the brow you have there but still). i like the way iDunno's face/eye/brow look for reference, though that looks a little too *sad* and not quite enough "bored art snob"

everything else is great, you nailed the highball and the hand and the positioning and everything, great work

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh shit, you wanted Smocktail? I thought it said Smoketail. Oops.

Maybe it can be an alternate evolution.

Awesome stuff so far btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)