Smogoff CAP - Next Phase TBC (current progress in post #506)

would you like to do a stats stage (don't be a dick and vote for both yes and no)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
approved by Sijih

alrighty then shaggers, i've been putting this off for ages now but i've just found out i'm not getting back on campus until second year so i need something to keep me busy

We're making a Pokémon, baybee!

This thread is where you, the good people of Smogoff - you're welcome for the name btw - get to submit your epic concepts for SCAP1. But we're not real CAP (for better or for worse), so I'm not too concerned about justifications or questions to be answered and so on - a name and a description/explanation of the concept should be plenty. Unless you really want to write out a proper real-CAP-standard sub, in which case go for it! Maybe it'll influence the voters in your favour or something.

One important thing to note: this is not a Pokémon subforum. Your concept doesn't need to be competitively minded in any way if you don't want it to be! In fact, it might be fun to make something with no real place in any metagame. Especially since there's like 0 chance this gets coded into Showdown lmao.

Here are a couple of example subs I've whipped up as a sort of guideline for what we're looking for:

concept name: definitely not spectrier
description: this pokemon uses a stat-boosting ability to overcome its limited movepool and snowball past its checks (unless you have a blissey lmao)

concept name: definitely not combee (btw please be more inventive with your names these are just examples xoxo)
description: this pokemon is themed around bees because bees are really cool!!!!!

concept name: definitely not cap 28 miasmaw (by smogon user: pipotchi)
Description: A Pokemon that excels at slowing down, punishing or otherwise disrupting the opposing team's pivoting strategies.
Justification - This is a Target concept, we are looking to shut down Teleport, U-turn, Volt Switch strategies in the meta, as well as targeting the abilities and items that enable them. Right now, Teleport has come to dominate the metagame, and the advent of Heavy Duty Boots and new Regen pivots has taken U-turn/TP on certain mons to a new high. Kril is also just as frustrating as before, spamming Volt Switch among others. Furthermore, pivoting goes beyond just moves- Toxapex, Tomohawk and Equilibra are well-known pivots that act as a mid-ground between 2 pokemon, usually scouting and sponging a hit before switching to something more appropriate.
Questions To Be Answered:
- In what way(s) does pivoting most commonly manifest in the CAP meta?
- What typings, abilities and items allow specific mons to become the strongest pivots, and how can we target these?
- What do our target Pokemon gain from pivoting? Are they focused more on scouting information, sponging attacks, or dealing damage?
- Is it possible to dissuade or even block pivoting attacks like U-turn using reactionary methods?
- What are the difference between the direct methods and indirect methods of preventing pivoting, and which is appropriate for each target?
- Do offensive or defensive playstyles work best for preventing different styles of pivoting?
- Is it better in the current to create a blanket check to pivots, or a more tailored response to a few key pivoting mons/strategies?

Couple of other notes:
  • Max 1 sub per person, so make sure you're posting your bestest idea.
  • Try not to dictate too much about the finished product - this is a community project, after all...
  • If you don't care about Pokémon concept design or whatever but really like drawing, stay tuned! We'll get art subs going when we have enough info to go off.
  • Submissions close a week from now. It's just gone midnight here so that's Friday the 29th of January 2021. Late submissions will be heartily mocked.
Any questions, just ask away! Let's do this, Smogoff.

(blarajan tried something like this in f*reb*t a few years ago (jesus christ it was just over 5 years ago when did i get old) but it never got finished - let's see if we can see this one through...)

also uh happy 1k to me i guess

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
name: firebot
description: if i were someone i would make ATK, 9999 SP.ATK, 9999 DEF, 9999 SP.DEF, 9999 SPEED, 9999 HP-9999/9999 The Name would be Firebot Steel/Fire Fissure Unlimited PP Mind Reader Unlimited PP never Miss KOBOT Unlimited PP Shadow Ball Unlimited PP

now that that's out of the way, let's get to work!

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
concept name: mewtwo but better
description: what if we made just like. mewthree? game freaks too cowardly to do it. let's do it ourselves. fuck
justification: it's mewtwo, but better. and again. i mean, mewtwo already was a step better than mew, imagine what we, as the combined posters of smogoff could do with the concept of MEWTHREE. im not too attached to the name actually, but i want this to be rly cool. mewtwotwo is also acceptable. do i rly need to justify this shit
questions to be answered:
- can we make mewtwo but again
- how cool will he be
- will Ullar make RPG content based on the final product of this process (yes he definitely will, prob a playable race in several systems. if this finishes i pledge to contribute in this way)
- no seriously mewtwo but cooler sounds so COOL. FUCK

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
description: what if we made just like. mewthree? game freaks too cowardly to do it. let's do it ourselves. fuck
justification: it's mewtwo, but better. and again. i mean, mewtwo already was a step better than mew, imagine what we, as the combined posters of smogoff could do with the concept of MEWTHREE. im not too attached to the name actually, but i want this to be rly cool. mewtwotwo is also acceptable. do i rly need to justify this shit
- how cool will he be
- will Ullar make RPG content based on the final product of this process (yes he definitely will, prob a playable race in several systems. if this finishes i pledge to contribute in this way)
phat mewtwo already exists
phat mewtwo.jpg

Concept Name: Syn Pokemon Printer! (original concept by smogon user Daragen)

Description: A special Pokemon form called a Syn Pokemon, which gives a Pokemon an extra +200 BST and a new dual/trial typing that must be different from its original form, as well as unique moves and abilities.

Justification: Syn is short for Synthesized, because apparently Team Rocket made another Pokemon experiment like Mewtwo but better, but their operation was sabotaged by a rogue scientist and all the Syn pokemon escaped to https://pastebin.com/

Questions to be answered:
- What pokemon deserve the boost from a Syn form?
- What pokemon names work well with Syn at the front? (e.g. Syndaquil)
- Are legendaries allowed to be a syn pokemon?

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Concept Name: horse
Description: we make a horse
Justification: it's no secret that the viability of mono-horse builds has drastically fallen off in recent memory. this approach of making a horse would let us explore the trends responsible for the downturn in this classic archetype, ultimately furthering our understanding of the metagame as we aim to return mono-horse back to its glory days.
- how big should the horse be
- is it good or evil ?
- can we ride it
- what is the horses name, i think it should be bramble

Concept Name: Mewdringer.

Description: It is a house cat type creature standing on it's hind legs like it peoples. It is wearing a cardboard box like a waistcoat. Out the top of the box, there is a white furred kitty cat with it's adorable leetle peets over the edge of the box. Beneath the lower half of the box, there is a purple-black spectral design akin to Gengar's colouration. Potential for fun ghostly design there, with any kind of tail possible and either a decision for more paws or more of a spectre or genie style floating mystical 'bottom half.'

When it attacks, it leaps from the box and reveals itself to be all fleshy white cat from tip to toe and then proceeds for the attack animation from there.
When it gets attacked, it's box falls over and out pours the cat, revealing it to be all spooky ghost cat.

Justification: Reddit asked how would you design a Ghost/Normal type Pokémon and I never bothered to write out my reply so I get to subject y'all to it now to get it out of my head. You've been duped. And, I like Antichamber. Fuck Euclidean geometry.

Questions To Be Answered: How did I get here?
Who's on first?
What's on second?
Where is that large automobile?
Why do kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
Will the Smogoff staff introduce a flair for new Smogoff threads that reads "how do I flair my threads?" and how do I make a post on smogon dot com slash forums?

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
concept: the gamer pokemon

description: this pokemon is rarely seen in the wild, preferring the domestic safety of its parents' nest. it has poor atk but is quite bulky with a large move pool including
- Toxic
- Rage
- Screech
- Poison Gas
- Belly Drum

nb this pokemon is incapable of using Charm, Reflect or Growth

Concept Name: Syn Pokemon Printer! (original concept by smogon user Daragen)

Description: A special Pokemon form called a Syn Pokemon, which gives a Pokemon an extra +200 BST and a new dual/trial typing that must be different from its original form, as well as unique moves and abilities.

Justification: Syn is short for Synthesized, because apparently Team Rocket made another Pokemon experiment like Mewtwo but better, but their operation was sabotaged by a rogue scientist and all the Syn pokemon escaped to https://pastebin.com/

- What pokemon deserve the boost from a Syn form?
- What pokemon names work well with Syn at the front? (e.g. Syndaquil)
- Are legendaries allowed to be a syn pokemon?
i feel recognized :3

- how cool will he be
i already beat you there

concept name: a second mew
description: YOU KNOW WHAT, INSTEAD OF A THIRD MEWTWO IM GONNA CREATE A SECOND MEW. YOU CANNOT STOP MEEEEEEEEE
justification: let me be honest with you, this is gonna be way better than the idiot mewtwo, he is just gonna stall out his combos. rely to MEW2ND, its combos will work the best in no time, and instead of being a lazy fuck its gonna be the best mon in the entire word. i want it to have 999999 atk 99589047363478906 def 7848858875429589 spa 406734760783478046780346 spd 468692457804 spe the BEST mon in the ENTIRE GAME! BECAUSE FUCK MEWTWO AND mewtwo but better BECAUSE ULLAR YOU CANT STOP ME. this will be the best mon.
Questions To Be Answered:
- is this better than mewtwo
- IT IS BETTER THAN MEWTWO, IS IT?
- belly drum is going to be a good stall with this?
- am i going to jump off a cliff?

thank for wasting your time watching this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)