I AM NORMAL AND CAN BE TRUSTED WITH WEAPONS
Friends, Romans, countryposters -- lend me your eyes! Or screen-readers, of course. The time has once again rolled around for us, the little people of Smogoff, to select our almighty leader, the People's Mod. Previously, this vote has been won by my good self and, well, nobody else... We shall see how the third iteration goes.
Here's what I had to say about the process last year:
"Here's what monkfish had to say about it last year:
"as is tradition, at the start of every year the people of Smogoff exercise their right to democratic rule. you should all be familiar with this protocol but here's a reminder:
- aside from the regular moderators of the forum, there is an additional People's Moderator (PM)
- the PM is nominated and voted for by the democratic body of the posters of Smogoff. restrictions on who can be PM are as follows:
- the PM must have held a smogon account for over six months
- the PM must have posted in Smogoff a minimum of 10 times in the past six months
- the PM may never have been an actual smogon forum moderator, past or present
- the PM must be nominated in this thread and must have won the popular vote in the voting thread (as yet uncreated)
- strictly speaking the PM has no 'power' on the forums. they cannot lock threads or delete posts. instead their power manifests as rule by consent: if the PM declares that a thread is locked, no democratically-supportive poster will further post in the thread. if the PM instructs a poster to delete or edit their post, the poster acquiesces to do so, out of respect for the office of the PM and the democratic process" (fish, 2021)"" (ashley, 2022)
This year, I have decided to throw an additional slight spanner into the works (mainly for my own amusement). In an attempt to hold up a mirror to the grotesque Americanisation of our culture, each candidate must self-declare, and must have a running mate. This sounds funny and also maybe it might help some of us make friends. Plus my Deputy PM last year went AWOL so a bit more of a commitment might help there also. Some campaign promises would be nice too. ig.
Rest assured, when the time comes to vote, I shall once again get a bit too into it and complicate the process somewhat.
With that, it's time to Do A Democracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.
ashley, b. (2022), "Smogoff People's Moderator 2022" in Smogoff, Smogon University Press.
fish, m. (2021), "Smogoff People's Moderator 2021: Nominations" in Smogoff, Smogon University Press.