Board Game Smogon Chess Tournament - Won by Ashwins72 and Royal1604

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah basically since the day I set this up people have been concerned about cheating and that's absolutely fair. My vision of the tournament was largely based on a very beginner-friendly setup with long games and no elimination and while that can stay for the casual bracket it's not really fair to people looking for more challenging games who could easily be impacted by cheating that fails to win the tournament but takes a few games to get found out. This is especially uncool with money on the line. There's almost 300 entrants between the two brackets now and two prizes, it's not right to treat this like a tiny inconsequential side project. The format will be cleaned up to something more standard and professional.

New rules:
The advanced bracket will play a 5+3 time control with bo2s. Casual can stay at 15+5 bo1, I don't expect people brand new at Chess to adjust to such a fast format well and I'm a lot less concerned about the Mario chess set compared to the cash prize. I'm going to require everyone in both brackets to make a free lichess.com account to play under but I won't ask for a FIDE/USCF account. It was never going to be a requirement due to what pulsar lays out with lots of people not having either, just a possibility. If anyone sees this and wants to swap brackets just PM/VM me, I'd tag everyone but I don't expect this to be a dealbreaker for anyone.

Last edited:
3+5 is blitz not bullet and average game lengths are still going to be 5 1/2 minutes (30 moves) to 7 minutes (60 moves) per side. It is also pretty hard to flag when you have a 5 second increment unless your position is just so bad you cant see a move, at which point the clock isn't really relevant. As for the Bo2 will there be an Armageddon if the score is 1/1 or will it be regarded as a draw?

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
3m+5s is not a format, im assuming 5+3 is what was meant

also i dont mind the change per se but if there's no cheating within the tour, it's not because of the timer. maybe at the 30s+0 scale you move too quickly to have meaningful engine usage but 3+5 or 5+3, whichever it is, is still very generous with time for someone that _wants_ to cheat to cheat.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
3m+5s is not a format, im assuming 5+3 is what was meant

also i dont mind the change per se but if there's no cheating within the tour, it's not because of the timer. maybe at the 30s+0 scale you move too quickly to have meaningful engine usage but 3+5 or 5+3, whichever it is, is still very generous with time for someone that _wants_ to cheat to cheat.
lmao I did mean 5/3 thanks for catching. I even talked to people about it and managed to swap the time in my head. Sorry everyone! Between the lower timer and lichess accounts as well as my own analysis of the games I don't know how it could really be much harder to cheat without going full bullet which I still very much do not want to do, nor do I think most people would prefer a bullet format.
what is a 3/5 time control does this mean we're playing bullet instead of rapid?
5+3 means you have an initial timer of 5 minutes and gain 3 seconds every time you move. It's a quicker game but not bullet.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
lmao I did mean 5/3 thanks for catching. I even talked to people about it and managed to swap the time in my head. Sorry everyone! Between the lower timer and lichess accounts as well as my own analysis of the games I don't know how it could really be much harder to cheat without going full bullet which I still very much do not want to do, nor do I think most people would prefer a bullet format.

5+3 means you have an initial timer of 5 minutes and gain 3 seconds every time you move. It's a quicker game but not bullet.
Yeah, it's just about the slowest you can get in blitz (might actually literally be the slowest LOL).
Naturally, this does not 100% solve the problem (there will still be the odd cheater), but it should help significantly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)