Hobbies Smogon Food & Cooking Thread 2

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I would have liked to but a) I've never done it before and b) I was in the office that day so I just grabbed a premade dough from Whole Foods. Definitely putting a Kitchenmaid on the wedding registry though exclusively for dough making.
1000% lol, those things are crazy handy and you might be joking about using it exclusively dough now, but you’ll find that since you have it there and it can do SO MANY THINGS, that you just might break it out more often than you think…

it also looks beautiful af on a countertop

but yeah I don’t blame you for not making the dough from scratch, I actually have only made one pizza crust that I was happy with because the measurements are so fickle.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
embrace the chaos measure nothing
put more flour until it feels right then call it a day

dont listen to nerds like TheCoastsOfToast who say you need to measure when baking!
I took an 18-year crash course in “haphazardly throwing ingredients together” from my mother and honestly I agree with you, but something within holds me back…

perhaps it’s Claire Saffitz‘s voice that rings so loudly: “baking is all about precision”

but where’s the danger in that?? :totodiLUL:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Cooked for my friend on Saturday!
66AF31C5-3955-4F89-B1C7-6D555E92F3DE.jpeg

Seeded sour dough bread
Sauce made from frying garlic and onion in olive oil with tomato paste, fresh basil, chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt
Parma ham + parmasiano reggiano cheese
more fresh basil
Salmon teriyaki
Fried veg in sesame oil this time, really liked it.
D1EA55B1-087B-4FE0-80CF-657132542D9C.jpeg
Last time I did a lemon panna cotta, this time mocha!
Basically a vanilla panna cotta with instant coffee mixed in the cooking process garnashed with shaved and crumbled dark chocolate.
82F127BE-D495-4279-8DE3-C49A39CFF7D6.jpeg

antemortem

Socialization Head
I'm making a broccli kugel today for my grandparents. Kugel is like a type of casserole for people who aren't familar.
Is it common that you cook for your grandparents? My grandmother will nuke me if I ever bring a single vegan dish into her house again… Thanksgiving of 2019 was dark.
One of my favorite thai dishes. Nam sod. First time cooking but won't be the last !

1 lb Ground pork
Carrot, pepper, and red onion
Soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, lime juice, red pepper, cilantro, green onions, and basil!
The ingredient spread looks so perfect that I almost want to say it’s a Blue Apron/Hello Fresh meal? But I refuse to undermine your cooking expertise.

This time.

Does anyone here have experience thickening with xanthan gum? I bought some just cos I like to experiment with stuff (it's p cheap online) but the results are... unappetising.

I put in 0.05% by weight into some stew and even that much gives a disgusting snotty texture. Think I'll stick to starch for now lol

antemortem

Socialization Head
Does anyone here have experience thickening with xanthan gum? I bought some just cos I like to experiment with stuff (it's p cheap online) but the results are... unappetising.

I put in 0.05% by weight into some stew and even that much gives a disgusting snotty texture. Think I'll stick to starch for now lol
Out of curiosity, where did you add the xanthan gum in the process? Did you use it instead of flour in the roux, or did you add it directly to the stew?

Out of curiosity, where did you add the xanthan gum in the process? Did you use it instead of flour in the roux, or did you add it directly to the stew?
i skipped the roux step, added it just after the stock (well, fake stock) and veg, mixed it with a teaspoon of oil first cos apparently it clumps otherwise

from what i read 0.1% is a decent amount so i played it safe and halved it

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

xanthan is for baking cakes to a precise texture, not cooking. if you want to thicken stuff i suggest cornstarch. or just cooking with less moisture-> thicker sauce sometimes.

antemortem

Socialization Head
i skipped the roux step, added it just after the stock (well, fake stock) and veg, mixed it with a teaspoon of oil first cos apparently it clumps otherwise

from what i read 0.1% is a decent amount so i played it safe and halved it
xanthan is for baking cakes to a precise texture, not cooking. if you want to thicken stuff i suggest cornstarch. or just cooking with less moisture-> thicker sauce sometimes.
There’s not really a “problem” adding it, but yeah it has to be in practically microscopic amounts… are you avoiding adding grain/carbs to your diet, maybe? That tracks, because otherwise I can’t think of a reason to not use flour or cornstarch like Myzo suggested. You may be complicating shit for yourself lmao,,,
helllo I have recintly become an vegan and i wan't to keep to eat my faverite food patey ubt vegan does you have any suggestion for replacment that keep the taste thankyou.
uhh
Are you just asking for tolerable vegan meat patty substitutes? I like these (none of them are made from soy because I despise soy burgers, and only one of them is a veggie burger because veggie burgers are almost always subpar, you’re literally so welcome):

2D902EBF-D7D8-4F02-B84A-FB37A62B5C5F.jpeg
A73F56FA-3E60-4729-82EC-A0C8ECAF4C73.jpeg
4DD9ED14-0B7A-4F39-93AA-9CA59245AE59.png

There’s not really a “problem” adding it, but yeah it has to be in practically microscopic amounts… are you avoiding adding grain/carbs to your diet, maybe? That tracks, because otherwise I can’t think of a reason to not use flour or cornstarch like Myzo suggested. You may be complicating shit for yourself lmao,,,
Basically I bought the stuff for baking (I'm not making gluten free stuff rn but it's nice to have the option or be able to turn it up to 11) and I'd seen a few recipes online using it for thickening sauces and stuff, so I wanted to try it out! I usually use a roux or cornstarch like a normal person, or very occasionally gelatine for certain sauces, or cream etc when appropriate.

Way I see it is having more options to use is always good and knowing what qualities different alternatives have lets you tweak the outcome how you like. Plus learning new stuff is cool even when it is pointless.
Used a tiny pinch in my gravy today and it seemed to do the trick without unpleasant results. I think you're right I just need to be extremely conservative and only use it for slightly thickening.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 1.28.53 PM.png

not that great picture of the brisket I made yesterday. 8 hours smoked on a 22in cheapo weber kettle with no tech besides a meat thermometer and some butcher paper and aluminum foil. It was my first time doing it and I was using a relatively inexpensive 5lb point cut brisket. Turned most of the point side into chopped brisket which everyone agreed was as good as the texas bbq food truck's (reassuringly, one can save any brisket by turning it into chopped brisket). This is a picture of the flatter side that I rehydrated today with a little but of beef stock. If I can do it anyone can do it. I used the below 2 youtube videos to guide me, and I just did my best as a bbq scrub to trim the brisket aggressively, but intentionally, because I wanted a shorter cook time (it had to be get done in 8 hours on a rainy Portland day).

just did my best to follow these 2 vids using what I already had and it turned out great, used mesquite wood for the smoking part.

Last edited:
Cooked for my friend on Saturday!
View attachment 406680
Seeded sour dough bread
Sauce made from frying garlic and onion in olive oil with tomato paste, fresh basil, chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt
Parma ham + parmasiano reggiano cheese
more fresh basil
Salmon teriyaki
Fried veg in sesame oil this time, really liked it.
View attachment 406682
Last time I did a lemon panna cotta, this time mocha!
Basically a vanilla panna cotta with instant coffee mixed in the cooking process garnashed with shaved and crumbled dark chocolate.
View attachment 406681
ayo that looks so tastyyyyyy

helllo I have recintly become an vegan and i wan't to keep to eat my faverite food patey ubt vegan does you have any suggestion for replacment that keep the taste thankyou.
have you ever had mock meat?

I'm making a broccli kugel today for my grandparents. Kugel is like a type of casserole for people who aren't familar.
whts a casserole bro?

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
only started to cook myself seriously about a year and a half ago, and rlly enjoyed it since. can't cook while i'm at home but since i'm feeling nostalgic for when i could here are some pictures i took of what i have made in the past. of the dishes i think the risotto is probably my favorite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)