Smogon Dungeon Crawl Classics Signups [Tabletop]

YO I'M LOOKING FOR PLAYERS
Due to an irrepressible urge to provide fun for others, I am going to run a Dungeon Crawl Classics campaign. As the name of the tabletop system strongly suggests, DCC is an OSR system about finding, getting to, delving and looting dungeons. Living through all of these steps repeatedly is also one of your goals.

WHAT IS THIS OSR THING ANYWAYS
Old School Revival is a movement in tabletop rpgs that draws inspiration from the earlier days of the hobby (like the 1970s). Okay GeneralSpoon that's cool, but what does that mean? Well I'm glad you asked. OSR games typically de-emphasize rules and the players thinking in the context of rules. They instead typically test PLAYER skill and ingenuity instead of the skill and ingenuity of PLAYER CHARACTERS. Still confused? Here's a practical example.

Your character, while traversing a dungeon, needs to walk down a corridor that looks like an excellent place for traps. And so you look for traps. In D&D 5th edition you would roll a d20 and add your character's Perception modifier to it, and that would be it. In an OSR game, you would instead say things like "I check for pressure plates with a 10ft pole" or "I throw some dust to reveal tripwires" or "I force the hirelings to go first by spearpoint."

WHAT MAKES DCC SPECIAL?
Character death, fast character generation, and randomness. This isn't to say that player characters are weak; in fact every player character class is powerful and feels awesome! However, characters are also quite mortal, especially when they have bitten off more than they can chew (surviving biting off more than you can chew gives you more Experience though!). Character generation is entirely random and only takes a minute or two. This means that if your character gets pasted by a minotaur while exploring a dungeon, you can quickly promote one of the party's hirelings to be your new character.

I've said random a few times already. One of the big things from the 70s that DCC focuses on is rolling on random tables. Generating a new character? Roll on some random tables. Find some magic loot? Roll on some random tables. Wizard fucks up casting a spell? Roll on a random table to see how many tentacles they grow (Or if they get a face on their back. Or grow antennae. Or become invisible when wearing only their undergarments on Tuesdays. You get the idea).

Finally, the start of a DCC campaign begins with a "level 0 character funnel" (the official name) aka a "death funnel" (the unofficial name). Every player gets 3 or 4 randomly generated level 0 peasants (hint: they suck). This big-ass mob of peasants will then run through some dungeon they've found, probably dying in one hit each. The survivors of the death funnel are promoted to level 1 in a class of the player's choice, and become the player characters. By the time your mediocre parsnip farmer is your only survivor, you'll have grown quite attached to them!

DISCORD AND ROLL20
We will be using this Discord server (Smogon's unofficial Tabletop RPG server) to facilitate voice chat for this campaign. We will also be using Roll20.net to provide a virtual tabletop for this campaign. A virtual tabletop is exactly what it sounds like; an online place with a tabletop to put things like maps and characters on, and to roll dice on. You won't need to know a whole lot about it (that's my job!), but you'll need an account on it.

SCHEDULE AND SUCH
Sessions are anticipated to be 3 to 4 hours each. They will happen either weekly or every-other week, and are unlikely to happen on Sundays. On weekdays they can only occurs after 5pm American Central time. Other than that, when our sessions occur will be based on what works for the players and I. When you post to express your interest, please provide the times that would work each week for you. I am looking to have 3 to 5 players. I may not draw ALL of my players from Smogon, but will try to do so first!

I reserve the right to pick and choose players based on how schedules match up and hash out.

BUT DA RULES?
To be honest, it is rather a waste to research the rules of DCC until you are locked in as a player and we have a starting date and time. When you must interact with the rules (typically a thing to avoid in OSR games), they boil down to "roll a dice and add some modifier to it," as they do in most games.

I'VE NEVER PLAYED A TABLETOP GAME BEFORE BUT AM STRANGELY INTRIGUED; WHAT SHOULD I DO?
You're in luck; signup/express interest anyways. There aren't many rules you need to be aware of, and you'll get by very fine just saying what you want to do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)