Smogon Premier League 9: UU Discussion

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
re: my game, i didn't expect bushtush to just not scout for scarf and just stay in risking the 6-5 immediately when he had an azu which is why i clicked draco turn 1. obviously i wasn't scarf, the hydreigon was a z-belch set that was supposed to pressure a couple of sharpedo's checks in azumarill and scizor which i would have proceeded to do after clicking draco. once azumarill was gone i would have focused on getting rotom to around half and whatever little chip i needed to get scizor into crunch range. i did need hydreigon for all of these things and i really needed the turn 1 to go my way but it didn't which made a bad match up even worse because i couldn't make any room for sharpedo (my best chance at cleaning) and i lost handily because of it.

Last edited:
week 2 matchups are up

SM UU: Sacri' vs dodmen
SM UU: Pak vs Bushtush
SM UU: Manipulative vs Christo
SM UU: Lycans vs Cynde
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs HT

no changes in lineup, but sacri vs dod is obviously a highlight and pak vs bush is also exciting. pak had a pretty convinving week 1 win but bushtush is a god dam warhorse so itll be something to look forward to

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SM UU: Sacri' vs dodmen : damn, both good players, they will show a great match for sure, hopefully dodmen will bring monodark to bring it at home.

SM UU: Pak vs Bushtush: very interesting players, honestly i expect pak to win because is really fire atm.

SM UU: Manipulative vs Christo: after his first win this season, christo should be motivated enough to bring at home another match, manipulative is really good player and can win it as well if he brings the right team with a decent number of stallbreakers (6 stallbreakers are recommended)

SM UU: Lycans vs Cynde: this match will be very interesting to see, both are valid players imo and they will have a chance to prove that this week, gl both :d

SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs HT: another very interesting match to see, both are cool players gl both!

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I know I'm pretty late but felt like sharing my thoughts anyways. Firstly, well played to Pak on that game. Hax might have played a small role in that battle, but I definitely fucked myself over more than anything else. Starting with a pretty suboptimal Scizor spread which I struggle to justify and had a very large impact on the game. The one I was using had a mere 40HP investment and had a pretty high chance of dropping to Krook's Z-EQ. I wasn't expecting that, and clearly it had put me on the backfoot right after the very first turn. After that, I'd have had to play really well to make up for the 5-6 deficit, which I did not. Nerves were getting to me at a time I couldn't afford to let them to, and luck wasn't very helpful either. Not much else to say there.

That said, the game pretty good wake up call for me and I'll hopefully be performing much better from here on out, starting with this week. Best of luck to Christo, as well as everyone else who's playing. Looking forward to some fun games!

edit:
Sacri' vs dodmen - Highlight match of the week. Both players are great, but I think dodmen's a bit better and expect him to come well prepared for Sacri

Pak vs Bushtush - love Bushtush but gotta give respect to Pak after that first week

Lycans vs. Cynde - I think Lycans is overall the better player, but Cynde is pretty good himself and has a lot of creativity up his sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out on top.

A Hero's Destiny vs HT - glad to see HT finally get his first official tour win. Hope he keeps it up!

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
PSA for all the uu spl starters who stumble upon this message: please don't use teams without steel types. it hurts both my eyes and your chances of winning in irreparable ways

and no, offense can not get away with it as often as you might think, since scizor is the best pokemon in the whole archetype (and stakataka will prolly be lit after this week too)

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What a timely announcement, Pearl! Christo v Manip just happened: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-341080

Fun game, a lot of stuff you don't see a ton of. MVPs were definitely Crobat on Christo's side and Bewear and Manip's side, both of which were pretty key in this game. Manip brought a Tailwind offense with three strong breakers (Specs Primarina/CB Bewear/Nidoking), plus Shark and Scarf Latias to clean. Christo brought a bulky offense with a defensive backbone of Sylveon/MAggron/Gastrodon, plus wallbreaking support from the always scary Hera and some Speed control in the form of Crobat and Infernape. Bewear and Nido in particular were pretty scary for Christo's team, although lack of flying resists meant Manip was pretty much forced to avoid locking into fighting moves, which would give free turns to Crobat (which at worst 2HKO'd Manip's team and outsped 5/6 'mons). That in turn let Christo wear it low with Aggron. Pivotal turn was probably Christo catching Manip's Nidoking with the Z-Brave Bird, which left a Sylveon that was almost impossible to break as long as Christo played conservatively.

All in all a cool game, and best of luck to Manip and the BIGs in future weeks.

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
me and lycans had our game day before yesterday https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-341593

so off face value primarina was a gigantic threat that takes advantage of any pokemon not named nidoking and manectric so i had to make sure that i had those two in as much as possible to try and limit primarina blowing me away. this is primarily why i lead off with nidoking, it gave me a good match up against 4/6 of his team and anything could not heavily damage like krookodile or latias i had responses for in gliscor and scizor respectively. so right off the bat i was put in a pretty bad position by a good double by lycans to immediately exert pressure by getting primarina in against scizor. my only water resist that could actually damage primarina was azumarill so i was forced to switch it in here but unfortunately it got crit turn 3 as i play roughed and it went down putting me in a rather unfortunate spot. if he was timid that crit would have mattered but if he was modest it was a roll so :blobshrug:. anyway after that i went into nidoking to get off a sub to cover any switch he could make (it was pretty safe as it still lived a manectric hp ice after rocks and didn't risk him going lati / scizor and putting me further behind).

then some stuff happened and it ended up being gliscor vs krookdile 2 times. i could have attempted to roost with gliscor the second time but primarina was still a huge problem and i really could not risk that getting any free turns whatsoever so i ended up u turning both times (this probably hurt me later in the game)

after which latias comes in and at this point gliscor is low enough to the point where i just fodder it off for latias and pursuit it with scizor, hoping to gain some footing with manectric and nidoking now.

turn 20 was probably the odd turn. clicking overheat probably looks a little odd but if he had gone manectric all of my pokemon are now in range of a +1 manectric (hydreigon dies to a decent roll and i need a very high roll with draco to secure the ko on manectric which again, risks being put in a shitty spot by primarina if i do anything except u turn).
nothing too special happened after that other than a bit of a haxy end. but it was a fun game nonetheless :psywoke:

Last edited:

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
was about to write a bit about the battle but think Cynde already said almost everything but anyway i'll say some things think are important.

Ok for second time in a row Nidoking was keeping being a threat to me so i looking that i couldnt let it take mometurn cause that meant i had to predict pretty well if i didnt want sack something everytime it comes in.

Turns 1, 2 and 3: now for what i said above Latias seemed a good lead to me covering any thing wasnt called Azumarill or scizor, he started with Nido as i expected but i knew he wasnt risking his better way to hurt my team in turn 1 so cuase that i decided do a double switch into my prima to pressure any switch he could do. He send his Azumarill into the hydro of my prima taking a solid 48% (mine prima was modest) according my calc Azumarill with hp invested had very good chances to die from other hydro so that's what i decided do unfortunetly he died by a crit which idk if mattered

Turn 20: tbh think the most import turn of the battle that was a legit 50/50

Turn 22: another 50/50 but i lose this one

the last three turns of this battle were kinda haxing ngl speed tie + flinch and after that crit so what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i think we both played our wallbreakers of smart way but at end everything ended with some heart attack turns, looking for see some next Cynde's battles hope things goes better for him in the future.

btw: this was longer i expected lol dont bully me if i made some mistake writing this

Last edited:
was about to write a bit about the battle but think Cynde already said almost everything but anyway i'll say some things think are important.

Ok for second time in a row Nidoking was keeping being a threat to me so i looking that i couldnt let it take mometurn cause that meant i had to predict pretty well if i didnt want sack something everytime it comes in.

Turns 1, 2 and 3: now for what i said above Latias seemed a good lead to me covering any thing wasnt called Azumarill or scizor, he started with Nido as i expected but i knew he wasnt risking his better way to hurt my team in turn 1 so cuase that i decided do a double switch into my prima to pressure any switch he could do. He send his Azumarill into the hydro of my prima taking a solid 48% (mine prima was modest) according my calc Azumarill with hp invested had very good chances to die from other hydro so that's what i decided do unfortunetly he died by a crit which idk if mattered

Turn 20: tbh think the most import turn of the battle that was a legit 50/50

Turn 22: another 50/50 but i lose this one

the last three turns of this battle were kinda haxing ngl speed tie + flinch and after that crit so what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i think we both played our wallbreakers of smart way but at end everything ended with some heart attack turns, looking for see some next Cynde's battles hope things goes better for him in the future.

btw: this was longer i expected lol dont bully me if i made some mistake writing this
At least say gg :blobpensive:

--

Week 3 matchups are up!

SM UU: Lycans vs Pak
SM UU: HT vs dodmen
SM UU: Manipulative vs Sacri'
SM UU: Cynde vs A Hero's Destiny
SM UU: Christo vs Bushtush

Cynde vs A Hero's Destiny is going to be a very close and interesting game since both have performed very well in circuit tournaments and are trying to estabilish themselves as starters. Christo vs Bushtush also looks like a fire game, mostly because of Christo's teambuilding skills and Bushtush's creativity. Good luck all!

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The amount of analysis provided by players compared to other tiers in SPL and previous UU tours is incredible. Even better because the games are great. Please keep it up lol...
I also appreciate the players involvement but I still would like to point out that everyone is very much welcomed to share their thoughts and predictions on the games. I rememer the SPL 7 thread being much more active and while my own inactivity might have something to do with it I couldnt help but notice that the amount of contribution from regular uusers has dropped. Analyzing tour games is a great way to improve so please try your best to post there if you intend to get better.

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I also appreciate the players involvement but I still would like to point out that everyone is very much welcomed to share their thoughts and predictions on the games. I rememer the SPL 7 thread being much more active and while my own inactivity might have something to do with it I couldnt help but notice that the amount of contribution from regular uusers has dropped. Analyzing tour games is a great way to improve so please try your best to post there if you intend to get better.
I would like to comment on this because there have been statements like this in other threads in some of the snake draft discussion and people complaining about lack of activity in a few of the SPL discussions. The reason you aren't going to get the analysis from spectators is because there is little to no incentive for non participating parties to give input. As people in the tour, you want the tour to turn out well as you're enjoying it and want to see it flourish as you had a part in it. It just isn't fun to do this kind of stuff if you don't get to participate or aren't helping anyone out and even a decent portion of the people playing have no interest in discussing or have to drag themselves to do it in something that is supposed to be a recreational activity in your free time. Making commentary on these matches to spark discussion in the forum just isn't fun.

As for the last time UU was in SPL in the beginning of 2016, there are multiple reasons why the thread was much more active then than it is now. A few of them include there being a greater divide in the tournaments community compared to the respective tier communities now compared to before at least in UU (look in our public discord for an example), discord being more prevalent than ever compared to skype or irc back then which allows for the one liners made in the spl thread to be discussed in private groups among the individuals participating and, a major one, a lack of drama and commentary like the "where u goin boy", the charti/lum gyarados stuff and milotic's meme win rate. I can't say for sure about the drama one because I think I've watched like 2 games total, but there really isn't anything nearly on that level of joking or interesting that's really happened. It's just games.

Lastly as for the quality of the last spl thread it was majorly just 1 liners and links to matches and replays, so its not like your really missing out on that much other than the hype that isn't really here because of that lack of drama. Really, go back to thread and you'll mostly just find a bunch of one liners with a few big posts. The general spectator cares much more about the jokes and drama than quality games. If you want people to watch and commentate you have to make it something worth watching over other options of recreational activities people have. I also don't mean to single you out like this cause there are multiple dead threads and a lot of people are asking why there is a lack of input on discord, so I just wanted to give my opinion on it. You have the right to think I'm wrong and call me out as I think that'd get some discussion in the thread at the least. Anyways, to make this relevant I'll post predictions.

SM UU: Lycans vs Pak
SM UU: HT vs dodmen
SM UU: Manipulative vs Sacri'
SM UU: Cynde vs A Hero's Destiny
SM UU: Christo vs Bushtush

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Not in the mood to write up something too big right now, but this just happened and it was probably the best UU game so far this SPL (probably one of the best games of the whole tour but I'd rather not stretch it that much). Basically came down to the wire as well, so that's a plus!

Sacri'

the end is here
In an attempt to seek forgiveness for my lack of activity and wins i'll commentate on all the games that happened this week.

Manipulative vs Sacri'

Fairly straight forward game here, Manipulative brought stall and my team basically couldnt break rege core + quagsire + gliscor. Ice Punch appeared to be better in amoonguss match ups but it wasnt the case here as Alomomola was able to come in first to make sure I couldnt lure guss. He didn't need to take much risks to win the game really, props to him for getting the match up he was seeking.

HT vs dodmen

Interesting game, both players brought solid looking BOs. HT's Primarina looked quite threatening on preview but Swampert turned out to be Mirroar Coat which heavily limited its impact on the game. However, HT's Hippodown turned out to be quite crucial as it pretty much walled Infernape which was supposed to wallbreak vs that kind of bo team. Banded Azu had some potential but the rocky helmet damage from guss prevented it from taking advantage of hydre to get hits off. Scizor wasnt able to put much worked as it failed to wake up after it got spored early on. An overall good game, HT was able to take advantage of the edge the match up gave him to take it in a short yet fairly close game.

Christo vs Bushtush

Christo brought a team archetype that was quite popular early on in usum, a BO team featuring a solid volt turn core in Manectric + Scizor + Hydreigon to get in Serperior and Azumarill. I believe I used the team first and Christo had also used it prior to this game, though it doesn't matter that much as the sets on this team are very flexible. Bushtush brought another bo team featuring Guss + Empoleon as a defensive backbone with Heracross and Pidgeots as wallbreakers. The game seemed rather interesting at first, Pidgeot appeared to be very threatening after Manec took an hurricane and got confused which meant Krook was able to take it out. From there Christo clicked belly drum with azu and crit a Z move Lati which allowed him to win the game immediately. It appears Azumarill had a shot at living Z Psychic but the crit completely prevented bushtush from winning the game and while there was no guarantees christo would have lost if azumarill died, it still would have been a much much tougher game for him. Props to him for keeping his winning streak going though!

Cynde vs a heros destiny

Yet another stall that seemed to have a good match up. Things turned out to be very different in this game though, it appears Cyndes team didnt have rocks which pretty much allowed the combination of specs kyurem + pursuit krook to put in a lot of work. Cynde also missclicked relatively early on vs kyurem which cost him his alomomola. From there ahd could simply keep on getting rocks up thanks to the combination of wish alomomola and aggron. Cynde wasnt able to pressure the opposing team at all and that was pretty much game at that point. Props to ahd for being 2-1 despite the predictions not favoring him, I also hope that Cynde will be able to come back from a rough start.

Pak vs Lycans

As Pearl stated, this game was extremely interesting. Both players brought BO yet again, Paks team was focused on allowing Moltres to put work while Lycans team made use of true and tried cores such as Muk + Cobalion to put work. At first the game seemed quite heavily in Paks favor, his banded azumarill was extremely threatening as Lycans's only fairy resist was Empoleon which still took a good chunk of damages from play rough. However, both azumarill and empoleon turned out to have protect which allowed Lycans to keep on scouting for the move Pak was going for which meant gliscor could come in on play rough every time. Protect Empoleon in particular allowed Lycans to sponge the z move on moltres which restricted it heavily from putting work. From there neither players were making much progress, they were both focused on getting rocks up for Lycans and removing them for Pak. A few notable turns helped to decide the outcome: Chandelure was trapped by Muk as it tried to lure Paks gliscor with hp ice, Pak was eventually able to kill glisc with liquidation as it was expecting another play rough. The game still came down to the wire as both Gliscor and Azumarill were losing eq/play rough pp respectively. Paks last play rough critted the opposing azumarill thus allowing him to win the game. I believe Pak couldnt have won if he didnt get the crit/the roll but as he pointed out a bit of rng earlier on allowed Lycans to put himself in such a position in the first place. An overall very intense game, well played to both players and congrats to Pak on being 3-0 as well.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
But was the Alomomola switchin a misclick for the Cynde ? Looked like Blissey was too weak at 54% to take two Specs Draco Meteor reliably because no Leftovers. I think the game was just a good demonstration of overcoming a rather bad matchup, weakening Blissey which was the only Draco Meteor switch in was great.

also in the Dodmen HT game I think Dodmen said he was blaze (which was proved later) so he the Hippowdon shouldn't have initially walled it. Don't remember exactly, but it seems like Dodmen threw away a good (but not winning) position.

Although if by misclick, you meant something other than Alomomola should have been sacked, then yeah, but at that point the position was totally playable for both sides imo and Cynde lost most or all the advantage won from match up.

week 4 matchups -

SM UU: Pak vs A Hero's Destiny
SM UU: HT vs PokeTCG gamer1288
SM UU: Lycans vs Christo
SM UU: Sacri' vs Bushtush
SM UU: dodmen vs Manipulative

hyped af to see my man rob startin, this week has some fun matches all around. interested in lycans vs christo as well since lycans is definitely capable of haltin christos win streak and his games have been some good watches overall

Cynde

toasty
But was the Alomomola switchin a misclick for the Cynde ? Looked like Blissey was too weak at 54% to take two Specs Draco Meteor reliably because no Leftovers. I think the game was just a good demonstration of overcoming a rather bad matchup, weakening Blissey which was the only Draco Meteor switch in was great.

also in the Dodmen HT game I think Dodmen said he was blaze (which was proved later) so he the Hippowdon shouldn't have initially walled it. Don't remember exactly, but it seems like Dodmen threw away a good (but not winning) position.

Although if by misclick, you meant something other than Alomomola should have been sacked, then yeah, but at that point the position was totally playable for both sides imo and Cynde lost most or all the advantage won from match up.
Ya it was I meant to let go of Quag since he had no set up mons and it was useless as a volt switch blocker.

No excuses though. I played like shit last week. Rob gonna kill it this week though :afrostar:

Sacri'

the end is here
Bushtush vs Sacri'

First game of the week and a fairly interesting one at that. Bush brought a BO team featuring a Klefki + Swampert hazard core paired with Z-Hyper Beam Serperior as the main win condition. My team was built around SR Necrozma + Sub Kyurem as the former allows Kyurem to weaken/knock off things that have the potential to annoy it. The first few turns went rather well for me, Air Slash from Specs Togekiss put Aerodactyl in range of krook which allowed me to get rid off an important threat very early on. He then revealed that he was Roar Pert which I didnt expect as I like Mirroar Coat/Toxic a lot more right now. From there we both set rocks up, Necrozma put in some decent work as it weakened Hydreigon a lot. I wasn't able to spin which was quite important because the Hydreigon turned out to be specs which I didnt expect. From there Serperior put in a lot of work, Z Serp was the single biggest threat to the team and I needed rocks off the field to handle it with kyurem. I managed to force it to Hyper Beam to heal up with Kyurem. From there I thought I had it as Kyurem handled Starmie rather well. However he revealed Magnet Rise + Toxic Klefki on the very last turns which was highly unexpected, I hadnt considered it because Bushs team was super well prepped for Gliscor but either way it turned out to be the perfect one in this situation. I ended up freezing the first Ice beam which basically won me the game. Apologies for the bullshit Bushtush, you played and prepped well and I hope you wont let this bring you down. I wont lie though, I'm quite happy I was finally able to take my first win of the season, I hope I'll turn my horrendous start around.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Did the freeze matter? If bush spiked on the kyurem when it was last mon isn’t that an indication he didn’t have an attack and therefore would’ve lost to repeated Ice Beams anyway, understandable as an attack plus rise is hard to fit but without rise bush would’ve lost anyway so...

Don’t have time to have a detailed analysis on it now but I really enjoyed Lycans Christo yesterday, solid teams from both sides and I thought Lycans played excellently to manage the end game and take it. Some people may claim he played the final turns suboptimally but I don’t think there was a way to manage it without risking a crit somewhere.

Cynde

toasty
Did the freeze matter? If bush spiked on the kyurem when it was last mon isn’t that an indication he didn’t have an attack and therefore would’ve lost to repeated Ice Beams anyway, understandable as an attack plus rise is hard to fit but without rise bush would’ve lost anyway so...

Don’t have time to have a detailed analysis on it now but I really enjoyed Lycans Christo yesterday, solid teams from both sides and I thought Lycans played excellently to manage the end game and take it. Some people may claim he played the final turns suboptimally but I don’t think there was a way to manage it without risking a crit somewhere.
uh..not really that understandable cuz there's no sense in having a klefki walled by..defog hydreigon. he probably didn't have thunder wave since he had a bunch of fast mons like serp starmie scarf hydrei and mega aero. he just misclicked the move which is a bummer.

edit: yea it was specs myb.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Hydreigon was Specs but I take your point, there were ways to handle the most common fast mons ie. 2 ways to revenge Serp, Aero is handled by Pert etc. Really disappointed if that was a misclick but it’s just one of those things I guess.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
sorry for the shameless plug, but I signed up for mids and certainly think I have what it takes to compete at the top level, so if your team is struggling with UU I would love the opportunity to smash some skulls and get you some Ws. namaste bros.

Lycans

Bebe's my bae
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
i enjoyed the players' commentaries about their games in weeks 1 and 2, i hope they keep at it as w3 was quite dry in that aspect : (
got you

well i wont talk about my battle vs pak mainly cuz it was so long and think Sacri already said everything about it, but i can say some things about my battle vs Christo.

ok so once again my team was destroyed by an offensive ground in this case Mamoswine, fortunately it couldnt really switch in anything of my team since tentacruel was faster and i had magnet rise on klefkly but his priority and bulk were still annoying to me

Turn 1: i decided lead with my Specs Latias since
  • he really didnt have a safe switch if altaria wasnt envolved
  • I could've 1hko'd the mamo in case he decided start with my biggest threat
but he saw that well so he envoled it in turn 1

Turn 31: i did spin over sclad since with rocks up i could've lost to ice sharp spam and i still had ways to deal with scizor

Turn 37 onwards: everyone said should've eq'd again there but i knew that if he was bulky sd scizor i could lose to bp at +2 after because i didnt have heat wave on Pidgeot so basically was safest to me sack my cobalion revenge kill it with Pidgeot and then win with fire fang

and if anyone wanna know what was my Pidgeot set
Pidgeot-Mega (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Refresh
- Work Up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)