Tournament Smogon Premier League 9: UU Team / Set Dump

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Approved by Ark

Now that the SPL season has come to a close, it is the perfect time for those involved with the UU tier to come forward and share any teams, sets, or ideas they used in the tournament. This, along with the SPL discussion thread which saw decent activity throughout the season, will help give the rest of the community a bit of insight on high level tournament play in UU. Happy posting!

robjr

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
RUPL Champion
Well since no one posted yet, I will make a quick one n_n. Figured I would share my week 8 team vs Manipulative after using it to qualify for UULT.

The Team

When first looking at some of the teams manipulative has used, breloom wasn't the first thing that came to mind. However, when cynde suggested this set I fell in love with it. This set abuses a lot of brelooms main switch-ins: crobat. togekiss, latias, mega altaria, and amoonguss(rip). Facade is also just a very nice neutral move vs a lot of the tier. Since this set is obviously walled by ghost types, a trapper for pokemon like gengar and chandelure made sense. Mega-Aerodactyl can trap both and is just a good add to most teams. Hippowdon and Empoleon was my main defensive core, giving me a ground and steel, as well as a rocker and defogger. Latias was added for the fighting resist and checking non scarf hydreigon and belly drum azumarill. Scizor and breloom work together in that they can break for one another so the other can sweep late game (Replay).

Now for some very brief shoutouts. Cynde and TonyFlygon, your help throughout the week with tests and builds was very crucial and doesn't go unappreciated. Helping me build around certain mons, fixing evs, analyzing visuals, anything I needed. And shoutout to shiloh and Mana for doing tests when others couldn't :].

Will hopefully have a bigger team drop coming!

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
1524693253972.png

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang
- Substitute

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-339681 Week 1 vs Manip

Mega Aerodactyl is one of those mons where it's just so much fun to have a free moveslot. We already had Pursuit in the form of CB Scizor and luckily offensive birds hadn't picked up due to Rotom-W's presence, meaning Roost wasn't incredibly necessary on a more offensive team like this. If I remember correctly we threw around some ideas for a while then me and Pearl came to a realization that offensive teams often rely on sacking then revenging killing Mega Aerodactyl with either priority from mons like Scizor or with scarfers like Latias/Hydreigon/whatever else. This led Pearl to suggest Substitute as the 4th move and we ran with it. It went pretty much as theorized in the game itself, forcing Mega Manectric to stomach a Stone Edge to break it and dodging any potential TWaves from Klefki. As for the other moves, Ice Fang obviously provides a meaningful way of threatening the ever-present Dragons and Gliscor, another Pokemon this set can take advantage of as it can avoid Toxic and keep a Sub after U-turn. And of course, Fire Fang is necessary to OHKO Scizor, one of the primary reasons this set was theorized in the first place.

1524694484617.png

Gliscor @ Groundium Z
Ability: Poison Heal / (Hyper Cutter)
EVs: 88 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-345761 Week 4 vs AHD

My initial thought when preparing for AHD was some sort of standard Toxic Orb SD Gliscor but me and Pearl couldn't seem to put anything together that we both liked. Somehow we eventually decided on a team utilizing this much rarer set, as it could also take advantage of his relative inexperience to the rest of the pool. It's pretty ridiculous how quickly this thing can get the ball rolling once it gets a turn or 2 to set up, as shown by the game itself. I'll admit the way I brought it in wasn't ideal in the slightest, since I was expecting either Earthquake or Pursuit (and possibly so I could bluff in chat that I put Toxic Plate by accident), but I figured it was as good a time as any to go for it. Luckily it worked out perfectly and got me a pretty quick win and some more momentum heading into midseason. (honestly couldn't tell you what TDK's EVs do, plz don't ask)

1524696788259.png

Togekiss (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 200 HP / 20 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Trick

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-358536 Semis vs Christo

This set was something TDK (again with the insane EVs) theorized for semis. Scarf Togekiss provided the team with some necessary speed while crippling special walls with Trick and potentially getting off Thunder Waves on unsuspecting Mega Aerodactyl and other fast mons once they see it was scarf. These factors obviously made it an ideal partner alongside Mega Houndoom, as those two groups of mons are some of its most common answers. Mega Houndoom could also deal with steels in the way of it cleaning with its scarf Air Slash late-game. As for the game itself, it functioned mostly as planned, crippling Klefki and limiting its overall effectiveness in the game. Otherwise, not too much to say, just a cool set.

1524695075205.png

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Agility

Moltres @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower / Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Talk

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-344263 Week 3 vs Lycans
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-355253 Week 8 vs dodmen
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-362853 FInals vs rob

While Moltres has picked up some popularity lately and is the least out-there of the bunch, it's pretty safe to say it was the defining mon of my SPL season and deserves a mention. Following Rotom-W's departure, me and Pearl wanted to abuse the shit out of special attacking birds like Moltres of course in weeks 3, 8, and in finals and Mega Pidgeot week 5. At first I was skeptical of the fire bird due to its obvious flaws, mainly its rocks weakness, but after testing with it a bunch, we both kinda fell in love with the thing. It's a great offensive check to some big stuff like Scizor, Mega Altaria, Cobalion, and Breloom later on. Initially, we settled on an Agility set with Flyinium Z, a great sweeper against more offensive teams that often lack good flying resists besides Mega Aero, but unfortunately it didn't get the matchup necessary to do much offensively in its week 3 appearance. Pressure stalling rocks was pretty slick but yeah, not a great showing for a set with a lot of potential.

A couple things me and Pearl noticed following Breloom's introduction: sleep moves were everywhere between Breloom itself and the rising Amoonguss, and that Specs Moltres kills everything. Oh, and Specs Moltres can run Sleep Talk and shit all over our annoying, ever-present Spore users. When it hits moves and rocks are kept off at a reasonable rate, this thing is fucking dynamite, as shown by its two appearances. It pretty much carried me to my week 8 victory and it likely would've in finals had I not misplayed with my Mega Altaria. Between offensively checking the aforementioned stuff and punching holes in everything, Specs Moltres was just amazing and I highly recommend it, with the proper support of course.

This SPL was a positive experience overall and I had a lot of fun with the tier. Thanks again to the raiders for picking me up and Pearl for helping with building every week.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)