Smogon Premier League IX - Week 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Create a thread in the Team Submissions Forum with an import of your team, preferably using https://cryptobin.co/. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

~ Aldaron

This should be a smooth ride if everyone follows the instructions above. (schedule via VM, submit teams, don't start drama for no reason)

---

Ever Grande BIGS (4) vs Wi-fi Wolfpack (8)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Trosko
SM OU: bro fist vs ABR
SM UU: Manipulative vs PokeTCG gamer1288
SM RU: Windsong vs soulgazer
SM NU: Kushalos vs Rodriblutar
SM DOU: Jhon vs marilli
ORAS OU: xray vs Updated Kanto
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind
DPP OU: d0nut vs Void
ADV OU: Triangles vs Astamatitos
GSC OU: Mr.E vs Fear
RBY OU: marcoasd vs The Idiot Ninja

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs Congregation of the Classiest (7)

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Sacri'
SM RU: lighthouses vs Bouff
SM NU: Hootie vs Pohjis
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Znain
BW OU: McMeghan vs Shoka
DPP OU: Tamahome vs NightFox
ADV OU: k3nan vs thelinearcurve
GSC OU: Century Express vs Jimmy Turtwig
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Lusch

Stark Sharks (8) vs Team Raiders (4)

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo
SM UU: dodmen vs Pak
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami-
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku
SM DOU: Demantoid vs Kaori
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra
BW OU: smurf vs BKC
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio
RBY OU: GGFan vs mael

Cryonicles (3) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (9)

SM OU: Snou vs The Goomy
SM OU: Poek vs z0mOG
SM UU: HT vs Christo
SM RU: Nat vs SilentVerse
SM NU: ict vs cb jose altuve
SM DOU: Biosci vs stax
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs blunder
BW OU: Arii Stella vs dice
DPP OU: aim vs Bluewind
ADV OU: London Beats vs UD
GSC OU: sulcata vs Lavos
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Earthworm

Indie Scooters (3) vs Alpha Ruiners (9)

SM OU: FlamingVictini vs Cdumas
SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600
SM UU: Lycans vs Bushtush
SM RU: Feliburn vs Chill Shadow
SM NU: elodin vs lax
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs Croven
ORAS OU: Mounts vs Hiye
BW OU: Go10 vs ZoroDark
DPP OU: boudouche vs We Three Kings
ADV OU: Ojama vs undisputed
GSC OU: giara vs Tiba
RBY OU: Alexander. vs roudolf13

---

Deadline is Sunday, March 4th at 11:59 PM EST.

If I made a mistake with any matchups or names, please contact Quite Quiet or myself.

59/60 matches completed

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Predictions

Ever Grande BIGS (1) vs Wi-fi Wolfpack (11)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Trosko
SM OU: bro fist vs ABR
SM Doubles: Jhon vs marilli
ORAS OU: xray vs Updated Kanto

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Trosko - eo has probably been the most consistent and best looking OUer all spl, trosko is good though so it'll be a fight
SM OU: bro fist vs ABR - john won very capably versus FV last week whereas abr got destroyed in a pretty hard MU. throughout the tour abr has been performing better though, so idk who to favor
SM Doubles: Jhon vs marilli
ORAS OU: xray vs Updated Kanto - week 7 presented us with another immaculate game from the kiddo

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella - espirit decided to see what losing was like in week 6 and realized he was better built for winning and obliterated his opp last week. sabella got haxed in a game he was most likely going to win, but still has only shown such capabilities when using rain, and if you saw ES's game last week its pretty clear why it shouldnt work again.
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion - mainly a pick off of how both performed this last week, but still is pretty close (rooting for p2)
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT - this is definitely the doubles highlight of the week, a tier ive become quite fond of watching throughout this tourney
BW OU: McMeghan vs Shoka - a bold pick but mcmeghan has really not looked great this spl
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Lusch - bring back troller :((((((((((

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK - both players played like absolute monsters last week, but i think btb's run was better before that
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo - very odd match, as neither of these 2 have played an SM game all tournament. ricardo has been in the scene longer, but if i were just comparing the one game they each played, nihilillie looked better.
SM UU: dodmen vs Pak
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami- - indian civil war lol
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku
SM DOU: Demantoid vs Kaori
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra - i feel like tricking/nihillilie should probably have switched tiers (if you werent aware, tricking managed to earn 33 points in SM for tour24, which is the most anyone has ever earned in any tier to my knowledge). tricking is so darn good
BW OU: smurf vs BKC
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio
RBY OU: GGFan vs MetalGro$$

SM OU: FlamingVictini vs Cdumas - cdumas won last week while FV lost, but i am still confident that he is one of the best OUers currently. this is probably the highlight sm game this week.
SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600 - i cant choose, both are certainly good
SM UU: Lycans vs Bushtush
SM RU: Feliburn vs Chill Shadow - honestly that choke from CS last week was pretty devastating to see. its still a close game, but i am rooting for feli imo
SM NU: elodin vs lax - elodin is gonna bring oblivious slowbro or something and get owned by the nu dad
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs qsns
ORAS OU: Mounts vs Hiye
BW OU: Go10 vs ZoroDark
DPP OU: boudouche vs We Three Kings
GSC OU: giara vs Tiba - tiba looked great this week, giara has had a less than mediocre tournament
RBY OU: Alexander. vs roudolf13

gl hf all :)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Trosko 70-30
SM OU: bro fist vs ABR 45-55
ORAS OU: xray vs Updated Kanto 40-60

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella 55-45
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion 40-60
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Znain 65-35

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK 60-40
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo 25-75
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra

SM OU: Sweepage vs Will of Fire
SM OU: Poek vs z0mog

SM OU: FlamingVictini vs Cdumas
SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600
ORAS OU: Mounts vs Hiye -nice rematch from last stour. hiye is solid enough to win it this time : D

Last edited:

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin

Three SPL matchs in my favorite tiers with six players I highly respect. This tournament keeps selling dreams week after week.
Good luck all ! 401802378631708702.png

edit: damned I read to quickly and did not noticed. SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600. clash of generations in the French community and even though I consider Leftiez as more solid in game, both have their chances and I don't want to cheer for only one. quelque soit le vainqueur ça fera un bon souvenir j'espère :D

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Homo-sapiens (if you can even call finch that, lmao) vs. ape research update please tyvm :)
it's easy to laugh at finch for being worse than an ape but you need to prove that you're better than an ape to really be able to do that tbh

post predicts and take the finchinator challenge and if you do well then you can laugh. if you don't do well, you know deep within your heart that you did the right, honorable thing, and you only made yourself look ridiculous and incompetent on purpose to ease some weight off of finchinator. win/win

Circus Maximus Tigers (6) vs Congregation of the Classiest (6)

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella - 6-1 vs 2-5. can go the other way somewhat easily i think but its insane to not predict for es given records
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion - i really like watching bo play
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Sacri' - 3-1 in the last 4, he seems to have snapped out of the bad start and he should be the superior player
SM RU: lighthouses vs Bouff - i only watched them when they played soulgazer and one beat him and the other didnt therefore... // typed this before they played lol taking an L here
SM NU: Hootie vs Pohjis - tony keeps gassing this man there must be a good reason
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT - feels like bowman knows how to handle weird stuff but maybe im wrong and properly played weird stuff is exactly what you need to beat him. a good match for sure, as for most bowman matches
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Znain - gut feeling
BW OU: McMeghan vs Shoka - you dont bench the best bwer on the planet for a scrub so im assuming shoka is godly and will win this match
DPP OU: Tamahome vs NightFox - i mean. its tamahome.
ADV OU: k3nan vs thelinearcurve - linear by himself = 0-4 but linear + edens embrace = 3-0 and hes not stopping
GSC OU: Century Express vs Jimmy Turtwig - jturt hasnt been having a good tournament but he def has the skill to win this. CE has been alright and should have this unless jturt gets back in shape
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Lusch - free troller

Stark Sharks (5) vs Team Raiders (7)

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK - i dont want to be in the way of a hungry tdk and with the playoff race on hes probably very hungry
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo - lol
SM UU: dodmen vs Pak - this pak guy has been p good
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami- - he was decent at rby but i think hes actually competent in other tiers
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku - zuku has been alternating god plays and chokes from what i've seen of him, he can definitely take this if he brings his best game but teddeh's been doing well enough that i favor him
SM DOU: Demantoid vs Kaori - i really like watching demantoid play
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra - idk i feel like gondra hasnt had the cleanest play recently. trickings solid enough to win this.
BW OU: smurf vs BKC - this man said im okay at dpp once. he clearly has no idea what hes talking about, but hes alright at mons ig
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe - tofs been looking really hot lately and i think i'd favor him even vs roscoe right now
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - rachee's adv game has been better than i expected it to be, he should have this one
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio - choolio is on a 3 game losing streak but i think hes still solid enough to beat whatever conflict throws at him
RBY OU: GGFan vs MetalGro$$ - metalgross just hasnt been the same since i did that atrocity to him and ggfan himself saw the light of the bell. i hope ggfan snaps out of his harden craziness but even if he doesn't he's looked (and felt, when i played him) strong enough to take this comfortably

Cryonicles (5) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (7)

SM OU: Sweepage vs Will of Fire - now i've had a few fights with the Doc in the past but i can't not recognize how good he is at SM OU. go italy
SM OU: Poek vs z0mOG - poek at his peak is really scary and he's on a 3 game streak so i think he'll make that 4
SM UU: HT vs Christo - christo is like. really good
SM RU: Nat vs SilentVerse - both have far exceeded expectations but i feel like nat is hungrier
SM NU: ict vs cb jose altuve - today on "matchups that make me want to kill myself"
SM DOU: Biosci vs stax - stax felt like the better player overall, pulling a W on bowman amongst other things, but this is a close, great match too. why is doubles ou so great lol
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs blunder - i believe cbb will surpass the oras ptsd caused by kantoat himself and win this one. i think this is also the part where im meant to go "omg heat. fire. super heat." or something like that
BW OU: Arii Stella vs dice - pretty easy prediction but an upset would be funny. poor ari thrown to bkc and dice lol
DPP OU: aim vs Bluewind - both in a downward trend but i think aim can pull this off
ADV OU: London Beats vs UD - i am genuinely confused every time i see london beats starting in adv another week. poor guy.
GSC OU: sulcata vs Lavos - now i will say sulcata has been very impressive post mids and i didn't expect him to do this well. BUT the only player better than lavos is fear rn
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Earthworm - last week he struggled a little in showing those pesky non-rby mains that this is our territory and they have to piss off (or as tony would say: peas off), but he pulled it off and can probably learn something from that set to win this one too. ew also hasnt looked spectacular, far from it. (watch me lose to him next week now that i said this)

Indie Scooters (5) vs Alpha Ruiners (7)

SM OU: FlamingVictini vs Cdumas - really great match
SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600 - he's been playing pretty incredible from what ive seen
SM UU: Lycans vs Bushtush - both are not far from greatness but not quite there yet. i think lycans is closer to greatness than bushtush. going off of my sm uu expertise which is not much at all
SM RU: Feliburn vs Chill Shadow - cs can play mons very well
SM NU: elodin vs lax - rooting for elodin but idk if he'll be able to do it
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs qsns - milkman dominated me 3 or 4 times while i was trying to get reqs yesterday he's p good
ORAS OU: Mounts vs Hiye - mounts has actually won three in a row and hiye isn't the hottest in the field rn. will be an interesting one for sure
BW OU: Go10 vs ZoroDark - go10 doesn't quite look like a great bwer just yet. he's good, but zd should have this
DPP OU: boudouche vs We Three Kings - i dont understand what happens in this tier 90% of the time so i'll just bold the guy with a better record
ADV OU: Ojama vs undisputed - undis has been incredibly solid. he is probably not stopping.
GSC OU: giara vs Tiba - neither looked spectacular so far but i think tiba's good enough to take this
RBY OU: Alexander. vs roudolf13 - match of the week in rby probs. roudolf won FOUR in a row (with luck here and there, but still, F O U R) and everyone knows how great alex is. will honestly probably come down to how the don/lap/zap rock paper scissors plays out but it would be really cool to see some rarer stuff here

Ok, I will try ADV predictions.

Triangles vs Astamatitos - This is actually the toughest prediction of the lot. I think both have been playing very solidly this season, and one of Asta's great strengths is that he can pick up on a player's team building habits and prepare accordingly. However, Triangles is the man who simply can't be predicted, and has the guts + playing ability to pull off extremely creative teams, so there is a dilemma. That being said, I think Asta will want to have a strong finish in what will be his last pokemon tournament. Asta has struck up just the right balance of knowing when to use surprising sets with standard to support it, as an example, throwing on a sub salac Swamp on a more standard looking build. He knows how to play the odds well in pokemon, and is careful to maximise his odds of winning without being too cautious or too gutsy. Sometimes the slight twist he puts on every team works out, Blissey stays pitch perfect with the sings, and sometimes his sub salac Swamp gets crit, but in every case Asta is consistent in his plays and meticulous in his building. For those reasons I'm expecting him to just about edge this out. Whether it's a +speed cloyster, or a quick claw one, or something else unexpected, I'm expecting this to have unusual sets and to come down to the wire.

k3nan vs thelinearcurve - After a rocky start to spl, Linear has been playing fantastically, coming out with solid teams week after week. Even his last loss against Undisputed was due to a very unfortunate t1, and he hasn't lost since. After the start of this tour, perhaps some people were questioning whether he was really playing at the same standard as the guy who won the Callous (we miss you :c) cup. After getting wrecked by him in friendlies and on the ladder, I think that now he is doing exactly that. Linear has greatly improved his variety of teams over time. While he used to spam TTar/Gengar/Skarm relentlessly, he has shown he can break out CM offence and win, pilot Swamp Venu effectively, and much more. The Classiest's run may end soon, I think linear will win his remaining games and clean up his own personal record, ready to make an impact whenever we see him in adv again.

Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - KG has been performing well, and consistently too. However, interestingly, the same could be said about Jirachee. KG's teams have had similarities between them; he has broken out TSS a lot this tournament, but each time with a slightly different twist, from dropping Blissey + Swamp in favour of Jirachi + Suicune, or switching up his spiker options by dropping Skarm for Forre/Cloyster. I think he has the consistency and confidence in his style to win, and just enough variety to stay unpredictable.

London Beats vs UD - UD has been a very powerful player this SPL, and is hard to predict against. He's been using a variety of different teams this SPL, and it seems whenever somebody anticipates his usual ttar skarm gengar team, they guess wrong. He's utilised Weezing and Hariyama effectively thus far, showing us that he is anything but counter styleable. I don't know what he'll bring before his matches, but I always look forward to them. A veteran on a hot streak, excellently piloting unpredictable teams, I think UD will be a reliable Tyrants ADV right through to the end of the tour.

Ojama vs undisputed - A highlight match. In fact it's very difficult to predict against either of these players. Ojama has impressed me this spl no doubt, and his slightly negative record is more of a testament to the luck (or lack of it, in this case) in mons, rather than his playing ability. However, Undisputed is the ADVer of the tour. He seems to have the read on his opponents both at the teambuilding stage, and the battling stage. Every week he has shown he can break out a different team, built very carefully with his opponent in mind, and play it fantastically. I felt like him making use of Boom claydol on a mag + offence spam team was an interesting and great choice, and his use of Refresh Swampert more recently were all carefully calculated options to throw his opponents off, and bring solid utility. With teams that are sure to make use of every option available, and unbelievably solid plays, I think Undisputed will come out on top yet another week.

Last edited:
it's easy to laugh at finch for being worse than an ape but you need to prove that you're better than an ape to really be able to do that tbh

post predicts and take the finchinator challenge and if you do well then you can laugh. if you don't do well, you know deep within your heart that you did the right, honorable thing, and you only made yourself look ridiculous and incompetent on purpose to ease some weight off of finchinator. win/win

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella - 6-1 vs 2-5. can go the other way somewhat easily i think but its insane to not predict for es given records
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Sacri' - 3-1 in the last 4, he seems to have snapped out of the bad start and he should be the superior player
SM RU: lighthouses vs Bouff - i only watched them when they played soulgazer and one beat him and the other didnt therefore... // typed this before they played lol taking an L here
SM NU: Hootie vs Pohjis - tony keeps gassing this man there must be a good reason
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT - feels like bowman knows how to handle weird stuff but maybe im wrong and properly played weird stuff is exactly what you need to beat him. a good match for sure, as for most bowman matches
BW OU: McMeghan vs Shoka - you dont bench the best bwer on the planet for a scrub so im assuming shoka is godly and will win this match
ADV OU: k3nan vs thelinearcurve - linear by himself = 0-4 but linear + edens embrace = 3-0 and hes not stopping
GSC OU: Century Express vs Jimmy Turtwig - jturt hasnt been having a good tournament but he def has the skill to win this. CE has been alright and should have this unless jturt gets back in shape

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK - i dont want to be in the way of a hungry tdk and with the playoff race on hes probably very hungry
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami- - he was decent at rby but i think hes actually competent in other tiers
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku - zuku has been alternating god plays and chokes from what i've seen of him, he can definitely take this if he brings his best game but teddeh's been doing well enough that i favor him
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra - idk i feel like gondra hasnt had the cleanest play recently. trickings solid enough to win this.
BW OU: smurf vs BKC - this man said im okay at dpp once. he clearly has no idea what hes talking about, but hes alright at mons ig
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe - tofs been looking really hot lately and i think i'd favor him even vs roscoe right now
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - rachee's adv game has been better than i expected it to be, he should have this one
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio - choolio is on a 3 game losing streak but i think hes still solid enough to beat whatever conflict throws at him
RBY OU: GGFan vs MetalGro$$ - metalgross just hasnt been the same since i did that atrocity to him and ggfan himself saw the light of the bell. i hope ggfan snaps out of his harden craziness but even if he doesn't he's looked (and felt, when i played him) strong enough to take this comfortably

SM OU: Sweepage vs Will of Fire - now i've had a few fights with the Doc in the past but i can't not recognize how good he is at SM OU. go italy
SM OU: Poek vs z0mOG - poek at his peak is really scary and he's on a 3 game streak so i think he'll make that 4
SM RU: Nat vs SilentVerse - both have far exceeded expectations but i feel like nat is hungrier
SM NU: ict vs cb jose altuve - today on "matchups that make me want to kill myself"
SM DOU: Biosci vs stax - stax felt like the better player overall, pulling a W on bowman amongst other things, but this is a close, great match too. why is doubles ou so great lol
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs blunder - i believe cbb will surpass the oras ptsd caused by kantoat himself and win this one. i think this is also the part where im meant to go "omg heat. fire. super heat." or something like that
BW OU: Arii Stella vs dice - pretty easy prediction but an upset would be funny. poor ari thrown to bkc and dice lol
DPP OU: aim vs Bluewind - both in a downward trend but i think aim can pull this off
ADV OU: London Beats vs UD - i am genuinely confused every time i see london beats starting in adv another week. poor guy.
GSC OU: sulcata vs Lavos - now i will say sulcata has been very impressive post mids and i didn't expect him to do this well. BUT the only player better than lavos is fear rn
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Earthworm - last week he struggled a little in showing those pesky non-rby mains that this is our territory and they have to piss off (or as tony would say: peas off), but he pulled it off and can probably learn something from that set to win this one too. ew also hasnt looked spectacular, far from it. (watch me lose to him next week now that i said this)

SM OU: Leftiez vs Kory2600 - he's been playing pretty incredible from what ive seen
SM UU: Lycans vs Bushtush - both are not far from greatness but not quite there yet. i think lycans is closer to greatness than bushtush. going off of my sm uu expertise which is not much at all
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs qsns - milkman dominated me 3 or 4 times while i was trying to get reqs yesterday he's p good
ORAS OU: Mounts vs Hiye - mounts has actually won three in a row and hiye isn't the hottest in the field rn. will be an interesting one for sure
BW OU: Go10 vs ZoroDark - go10 doesn't quite look like a great bwer just yet. he's good, but zd should have this
DPP OU: boudouche vs We Three Kings - i dont understand what happens in this tier 90% of the time so i'll just bold the guy with a better record
ADV OU: Ojama vs undisputed - undis has been incredibly solid. he is probably not stopping.
GSC OU: giara vs Tiba - neither looked spectacular so far but i think tiba's good enough to take this
RBY OU: Alexander. vs roudolf13 - match of the week in rby probs. roudolf won FOUR in a row (with luck here and there, but still, F O U R) and everyone knows how great alex is. will honestly probably come down to how the don/lap/zap rock paper scissors plays out but it would be really cool to see some rarer stuff here

Ok, I'll take your advice, how's this?

Stark Sharks (0) vs Team Raiders (12)

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK - killed week 7, and week 8 opponent doesn't know how to turn off caps.
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo - 3 years vs 3 months (lol sure) experience. so easy predict right
SM UU: dodmen vs Pak - Undefeated
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami- - throwing RBY 1-0 lead to get back into the real tier
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku - he's up against the lower tier goat, but monotype > lower tier
SM DOU: Demantoid vs Kaori - I've never seen this guy before SPL 8 week 4 but he is good at doubles fr
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra - Who cares if the opponent is all round smogon tournaments forum beast, it's the fucking raiders
BW OU: smurf vs BKC - always making me look smarter than an ape, easy predictions points
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe - Best gen 4 at the moment, opponent is solid though I'm a fan
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - when you double that much in gen 3 you get bolded
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio - going to start to find form for playoffs this week
RBY OU: GGFan vs MetalGro$$ - he's back

Circus Maximus Tigers (0) vs Congregation of the Classiest (12)
SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Lusch

You guys better not blow another 6-# lead. let's go NECCS

here u go zom

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs Trosko - eo has been p solid this spl and i dont think trosko has been as good (?) but hes still p fire nonetheless and wont do poorly w support from abr. should be a really fun game to watch since they both use cool teams
SM OU: bro fist vs ABR - this games either gonna end turn 0 and be wack as hell (if abr brings chansey) or johns gonna come out on top. i can never root against fire ass john tho even if his opp is fire ass adam...
SM UU: Manipulative vs PokeTCG gamer1288 - i think this games gonna be closer than most think it is bc robs p fire. but ultimately manips experience should help him more in terms of not chokin away an end game which rob has done
SM RU: Windsong vs soulgazer - 2 fireballs, hope its a great game. rootin for my man sg tho
SM NU: Kushalos vs Rodriblutar - kush has been on fire this spl but i honestly think rodri has the higher ceiling as a player so its up to his teammates to equip him w a dangerous squad. cooking > baking
SM Doubles: Jhon vs marilli - somehow marilli gets away w usin the same shit every week but i get it bc the key to dubs is spamming brokens aka deoxys aegislash snorlax every week. jhons been more outlandish w his builds and plays well. shuld be a cool one
ORAS OU: xray vs Updated Kanto - xray hes been doing really well this spl but messed up in a couple games, kanto just seems like the better player at the moment
BW OU: Posho vs SoulWind - pancho hasnt been as strong as he usually is and soulwind is the goat. cant ever count pancho out tho, highlight game for sure
DPP OU: d0nut vs Void - i think void is just better
ADV OU: Triangles vs Astamatitos - ^
GSC OU: Mr.E vs Fear - fear has been using REALLY cool teams and playing super fire (double eq like worms vs colcho last spl :cwl:) , rooting for mr tho i always wanna see that man win
RBY OU: marcoasd vs The Idiot Ninja - both have been great but i think tin has had slightly more success recently,

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Sabella - this games gonna be lit cus beef match. sabella turned this tour around after mids grabbin some wins and he shulda won vs trosko but got unlucky. i think raw play wise, es is the better player but you cant count sab out since he can get creative when he wants to. hes not the rain drone ppl think he is jus bc he brought it 3 times
SM OU: p2 vs Blackoblivion - Bo i think has been the better player in this tour, coming out 3-1 vs john fv abr and whoever else he played is super good. some of his teams have been wack imo but he uses em well
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Sacri' - i think this games gonna be close since ahd has actually been playing p well w solid teams. im glad sacri turned it around after a bad start. he looked very dangerous last week w his aggressive players keeping up the pressure on his opp
SM RU: lighthouses vs Bouff - KI11 55IGY
SM NU: Hootie vs Pohjis - honestly dont know, pohjis has been good recently but cant ignore his history of chokin bad under pressure. hootie is def hungry for some w's after coming off the bench. i think hootie has the advantage building wise and maybe pohjis playing wise? ive seen this man pull some nasty doubles the past couple weeks
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs EmbCPT - bowmans really good but edu somehow finds a way to win the most fucked up end games, this mans crazy
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Znain - znain has been weirdly inconsistent this tour which leads me to believe he relies more on instinct rather than careful planning and execution which isnt reliable at all. it also explains how he played one of the best oras games ((him vs poek) and one of the worst (him v kanto). nintendi obv has the edge since hes stupidly consistent but znain can very easily take it since nintendi is p predictable and prone to cstyling as seen w2. sabella is def gonna prep znain for those glisc fat water heatran cores
BW OU: McMeghan vs Shoka - ok like 'roro hasnt been doing well this spl' but when he needed to win that game vs posho at the end of the week, look what happened. cant count this man out just bc of hisrecord lol. its mcmeghan bros
DPP OU: Tamahome vs NightFox - i feel like nfox brought the worst team ever last week altho his plays have been p fire. tama just plays very intelligently and can sometimes bust out cbnite tr zong shit when hes not using zap rachi bliss
ADV OU: k3nan vs thelinearcurve - honestly idk but linear is on a streak after takin down the pin and asta. k3nans fire tho i hope to see him have success
GSC OU: Century Express vs Jimmy Turtwig - this guys fire, i think jimmy shuld stop stalling
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Lusch - i havent rly kept up w lusch's games this spl and ik he hasnt been doing as hot but man, last spl when he played crystal he just played so fire it made our teammates gas lusch AGAINST crystal. thats a big ass feat bc u guys know how obnoxious we were w gassing last yr lmfao. im hopin to see ultra dimensional beast lusch back in form

SM OU: BHARATH_THEBEST vs TDK - btb hasnt been as impressive and i think his teams are p wack. most of the time they jus have glaring weaknesses or are too focused on 1 thing so when it doesnt work out, it just falls apart. tdk is tdk and coming off a nice win vs cbb
SM OU: nihilillie vs R!cardo - ricardo played alright against poek, neevr saw nihi play sm and she wasnt great in oras sooo
SM UU: dodmen vs Pak - godmens gonna send pak paking omfl. ok but this is a highlight game. cant rly count out dod despite record bc he still is, to me, the best uu player. pak has been rly fire this tour and thriving w pearls support. excited to catch this 1
SM RU: Arifeen vs -Tsunami- - shakes jus better, i hope u lose tho cwl
SM NU: Teddeh vs Zukushiku - teddeh has looked more solid overall while zuku has had a couple of bad chokes
SM DOU: Demantoid vs Kaori - honestly idk what to expect, sam backed by l51 is one of the most creative duo for the dubs scene. in snake i felt that demans biggest issue was branching out w his teams but he seems to have overcome that given his use of various wack mons such as malamar. i feel that deman has an EXTREMELY high ceiling raw play wise, this guys a legit monster when hes in the zone while sams more like a very solid consistent player. to make an analogy, id say deman is like blunder w his fire reads and aggressivee maneuvers to grab momentum / favorable positioning while sams like john where he jus slowly plays it out and eventually wins
ORAS OU: Tricking vs Gondra - SICK LUKE SICK LUKE DARK POLO GANG
BW OU: smurf vs BKC - thats the goat
DPP OU: ToF vs roscoe - idk dudes, both seem kinda even. all ik is someones ognna bitch about luck in this game
ADV OU: Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - the slickman played fireball last week and kg legit uses the same shit, he plays well tho
GSC OU: Pleasure vs choolio - conflict hasnt been so hot and choolio is on a losing streak but hes fire and has this mazar-esque ability to predict what his opp will bring
RBY OU: GGFan vs MetalGro$$ - metal has made some very obvious and blatant misplays in the games i watched, like mathematical misplays. i dont think i caught a single ggfan game but peas told me hes fire

SM OU: Sweepage vs Will of Fire - wof is the dude who makes trickings sm teams, aka the ultra mega wack shit w koko that loses to msciz. excited for his spl debut tho. sweep is dangerous tho
SM OU: Poek vs z0mOG - throughout spl8, after it, slam and snake, i told every1 that poeks the best player on smogon. i think this is still true when hes on. he can tilt p hard tho but hes on a streak right now and i dont see zomog stopping it. i think zom will try too hard in the prep stage and bring something wack and it wont work out while poek jus rolls up w a msciz squad that loses to keldeo and go lando on sword each time and win. i culd be wrong tho, zom plays well outside of taunting amoongs. im excited to see what zom brings this week tho, i think if he doesnt go too crazy and jus sticks w good stuff and maybe some surprises he has a good shot to win
SM UU: HT vs Christo - christos a top 3 uu'er in this tour. ht has improved massively since the start and i think wouldve won last week w.o gettin haxed. uphill battle for ht tho
SM RU: Nat vs SilentVerse - nats fire and i feel like sv isnt tht impressive as a player, he seems prone to being forced to play his opponents game. nat builds well and has been playing v solidly
SM NU: ict vs cb jose altuve - i will never understand how u lose a game after starting 6-4 w faticate. diff ppl told me diff things like 'meeps choked hard' and 'he lost that anyway'. regardless, that was unlit. i think ict is a better player overall and is gonna use somethin hella wack and win. who knows tho meeps might roll up w haunter ampharos servine and win
SM DOU: Biosci vs stax - stax is fire but thats biogoat. cant ever count this man out, he jus needs to vary his teams a bit imo
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs blunder - lemme tell u whats gonna happen: theyre both gonna bring specs keld and its gonna be a war to see who burns the grass type first and gets to jus click. theres gonna be a buncha fire ass doubles from both sides that no1 understands. no clue whos gonna win this but itsgonna be entertaining as hell. actually blunders bringin keld meta lando amoong zapdos prob
BW OU: Arii Stella vs dice - arii actually hasnt been playin that bad which is cool to see outside of a couple turns which u cant blame her for since shes literally not a bw player. dice is dice, hes gonna roll up w explosion gengar and claim
DPP OU: aim vs Bluewind - aim hasnt been so hot and bluewind is p fire w tons of support prep wise
ADV OU: London Beats vs UD - LMAO ud's gonna bring another weezing and wield it like greninja and win as fuck. hes gonna bring nidoqueen and hypno too and jus smash
GSC OU: sulcata vs Lavos - lavoat is gonna bring some assjuice and outplay eevry other turn. sulcata has been impressive w his record altho he does misplay in like every game
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Earthworm - i love peas

my personal highlight games for this week:
john vs abr
posho vs soulwind
dod vs pak
cbb vs blunder
fv vs cdumas
the pin vs undis

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
SM OU: Sweepage vs Will of Fire
SM OU: Poek vs z0mOG
SM UU: HT vs Christo
SM RU: Nat vs SilentVerse
SM NU: ict vs cb jose altuve
SM DOU: Biosci vs stax
BW OU: Arii Stella vs dice
DPP OU: aim vs Bluewind
ADV OU: London Beats vs UD
GSC OU: sulcata vs Lavos
RBY OU: Peasounay vs Earthworm

I got only 50% of my predictions overall last week, hopefully I can redeem myself this week :pikuh:

BW
Posho vs SoulWind - SoulWind is on form as usual, while Posho is in a bit of a slump.
smurf. vs BKC: -smurf is crazy, and will bring some wild stuff that BKC won't be able to deal with without spending a massive amount of resources, will play insanely well to come back from the deficit, but ultimately the initial loss will prove to be too much. Or smurf's team will just fall flat and BKC will 6-0 with Alakazam lead.
Arii stella vs dice - dice was pretty unlucky last week, and Arii stella managed the endgame of her last week's game rather poorly, although she's been playing pretty well so far in BW.
Go10 vs ZoroDark - I can't quite figure out what went through Zoro's mind during his game vs McMeghan, and Go10 played well vs Posho, but I trust ZoroDark more in BW overall.

GSC
Mr.E vs Fear - excellent game, but Fear is just incredible, more so than Mr.E.
Pleasure vs Choolio - hopefully both players can play to their fullest so we get a fantastic game, but both players are having some issues this season it seems
sulcata vs Lavos - I keep predicting against sulcata and he keeps winning. You're welcome bud.
giara vs tiba - I haven't seen either player's game last week (or maybe I just forgot what happened in giara's game) but I don't think my prediction would change much here.

ORAS OU
xray vs Updated Kanto - both players have been incredible (at least to my eyes), I think they are even playing wise but Kanto's teams are a bit more powerful I believe
Tricking vs Gondra - I am unironically bolding Tricking :pikuh::pikuh::pikuh::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
CrashinBoomBang vs Blunder - clash of titans, I'm bolding CBB but this is as close to a 5050 as it gets on paper imo
Mounts vs Hiye - impressive comeback in the second half of the season by Mounts, I'm not expecting him to stop anytime soon, I honestly don't remember much about Hiye's games, rip

RBY OU
marcoasd vs The Idiot Ninja - I love both, and hope it goes to 3 games. Predicting against marco is insane to say the least, but tinman has been quite impressive so far, both in SPL and in other tournaments
GGFan vs Metalgro$$ - I don't really have much to say, but Metalgro$$ is a beast when he's on form, GGFan is good too, but I don't think he's going to be as lucky this week.
Peasounay vs Earthworm - another incredible matchup, Earthworm has played amazingly well so far, but has gotten slightly unlucky, Peas is great too, hopefully another set that goes to 3 games
Alexander vs Roudolf13 - :jynx: I don't have anything to say about this matchup, except that Prinz is unbeatable by non italians on fair terms and Roudolf has definitely been getting the short end of the stick luck wise this tour, sorry bud better luck next time.

Free Troller

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
k3nan vs thelinearcurve - Alright so I have heard people say shit about Linear's record. I've heard that he is 0-4 in Europe and 3-0 outside Europe. I've heard that he is 0-4 without Sunny and 3-0 with Sunny. The actual reason for the sudden change in form - he is 0-4 without nicks and 3-0 with nicks. Linear if you're reading this, nick your mons and you are scientifically proven not to lose.
London Beats vs UD - London, whoever is ghosting you, don't listen to them.
Kevin Garrett vs Jirachee - I have a hard time predicting against a man who names his lax Mike Daniels.
Ojama vs undisputed - The real winner here is me cuz I get to watch this.

Playing Asta on Friday at midday EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)