Smogon Premier League IX - Semi-Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wi-fi Wolfpack (7) vs Alpha Ruiners (5)

SM OU: ABR vs Cdumas - here I'm taking the cheap out bc I really don't want to predict this, favoring ABR though although Cdu could easily bounce back and outplay
SM OU: Trosko vs Kory2600 - both are solid players and bring cool stuff but I think Kory's usual selections match up well with Trosko's and he's favoured for that reason. Could easily go the other way, though.
SM UU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs Bushtush - Beat this horse until it's dead, lol
SM RU: soulgazer vs Chill Shadow - soulgazer's insanely good
SM NU: Rodriblutar vs lax - Rodribrutal's been on a tear ever since he got his comp back.
SM DOU: marilli vs Croven - marilli is cuter
ORAS OU: Updated Kanto vs Hiye - as good as some of Hiye's last few games have been, Kanto's been too strong to stop.
BW OU: SoulWind vs ZoroDark - Soulwind's just the best, man
DPP OU: Void vs We Three Kings - Void's a really good player but Moxie's supernatural ability to chain matchups in his favour
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs undisputed - as good as Asta is, he's had his offdays in this tour as well as some brutally bad breaks (two game-losing freezes). undis is probably like slightly better on playing skill but the fact that he's also never-unlucky from what I've seen turns that slight edge into a near guarantee of a win. I expect a great game though.
GSC OU: Fear vs Tiba - kind of like some of the other matchups in this series, it's competent Ruiner vs Wolfpack player who just looks too hot to stop. I fully expect to see the ABR-Kanto and Asta-Fear cores carrying the Wolfpack to their third SPL trophy next year.
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs roudolf13 - roudolf's hotter but TIN's tryhardiness and never-say-die spirit will probably prove pivotal, also it's RBY lol, anything can happen.

Dragonspiral Tyrants (7) vs Team Raiders (5)

SM OU: z0mOG vs -Tsunami- - shake's claim to fame is getting the most insane outs when he needs them but his magic will fail against never unlucky z0m. You heard it here first.
SM OU: psychicmewtwo vs Gondra - Both have had shaky SPLs but I think Gondra's win last week was what he needed to bounce back and he's got better support in TDK
SM UU: Christo vs Pak - Pak's had a great SPL but Christo's just a fucking machine to the point it'd be insane to predict against him. idk why Ruiners even gave up this beast in the first place.
SM RU: SilentVerse vs mael - apparently being good at League = being good at Pokemon now
SM NU: meeps vs Zukushiku - Zuku's impressed me all season and I think if he stays cool and plays at his highest level he's got this.
SM DOU: stax vs Kaori - lol @ predicting dubs when the tier's as wild as it is...anyways I think both have been doing well but stax's fundamental skill is better.
ORAS OU: blunder vs TDK - both are about equally talented but blunder's been doing solid while TDK's been shaky, and blunder's more aggro playstyle will probably prove solid vs TDK's safer teams.
BW OU: dice vs BKC - SWANS!
DPP OU: Bluewind vs roscoe - roscoat's been killing it all tour while Bluewind's been up and down. Natural prediction
ADV OU: UD vs Jirachee - Jirachee's done better than I expected but his matches with other ADV mains saw him faltering and getting worked around in the long run. UD is not only an ADV main but he excels at bringing stuff he's comfortable with and working around his opponents across 50-turn sequences so I give him the edge for those reasons.
GSC OU: Lavos vs choolio - lol I wish somehow both of them could lose this. Fuck fpoa. That said Lavos is probs favored for technical efficiency and whatnot.
RBY OU: Earthworm vs MetalGro$$ - lol as good as Earthworm is he hasn't been doing all that well and Metal's insane ability to get the outs (kinda like shake) is hard to predict against in RBY and he's good enough to not count himself out.

And there it is... we FINALLY overcame the Lycans curse and pulled out a W this season. All it took was starting me in every tier + BW support from Ojama. You're welcome, Raiders and Ruiners.

In my nearly 10 years on Smogon, this season of SPL has been by far the most consistent streak of bad luck I've ever experienced. Usually I believe things tend to balance out over time, but lady really took a dump all over the Scooters week after week this season. That's not to say we didn't have our fair share of throws, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Add on top of that a number of timeout/DC losses that I'm still salty about, and well, let's just say I'm happy to finally call this tournament a wrap. Good luck to those still in playoffs.

That said, I wanted to give a huge shout out to my entire team. We went into midseason with a grim situation on our hands, and we almost threw in the towel. Obii and I were chatting about potentially offloading some of our best players to teams we liked to give them a legitimate shot at the trophy. However, when talking to the team about where we stood, and how slim our chances were, everybody decided they still wanted to stick it out with the Scooters and do their best to make a comeback for playoffs. We pulled off an incredible midseason buy, turning 2.5k credits into Leftiez somehow, and came back more determined than ever. Even though things didn't work out the way we wanted, I'm still incredibly proud of all of you.

Finally, I wanted to give an extra special shout out to obii and Ojama, who have continued to be a pleasure to work with for the second season in a row. You guys are two of my favorite people on Smogon, and I'd stick with you through thick and thin (this one was really damn thin).

Actually, one more shout out to Pokémon GO, the real MVP of this tour. If anybody is into GO and wants to be invited to the Scooter's GO channel, lmk. Oh and shout out to FlamingVictini who was a total team player all season and also a GO fanatic.

despite the disappointing end to the season i wanna thank tennisace and atomicllamas for picking me up this year, even in a support role I had a great time and I honestly didn't think i'd get picked up after things fell through with the bigs so thank you again. You were both awesome managers and 100% deserve that red trophy that I know is coming to both of you eventually. I came back to the game about a month before spl as a spur of the moment decision and i'm super glad that I did because it ended up being one of my most memorable times on the site. I met a bunch of super cool people that I hope I can stay in touch w/ in the future and even though things didn't roll our way in the end, it was still a fun season regardless. i also wanna just thank all of the tigoats for making the chat super enjoyable to be a part of as well as for putting up w/ my drunk antics throughout the season. long live tts / the peekachu image!

also go raiders!

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
yall thought i was done with these posts

SM OU: ABR vs Cdumas - ABR has looked amazing this season and looks to continue that dominance into playoffs.
SM OU: Trosko vs Kory2600 - A close game, but I expect Trosk to pull through with the W
SM UU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs Bushtush - Another close game, but TCG is strong and I believe
SM RU: soulgazer vs Chill Shadow - soulgoat is so good at this game omg
SM NU: Rodriblutar vs lax - With his computer he can't lose
SM DOU: marilli vs Croven - miltank predicted croven to win, so he isn't going to.
ORAS OU: Updated Kanto vs Hiye - Kantoat is the greatest 3k pick of all time and has looked INCREDIBLE this season.
BW OU: SoulWind vs ZoroDark - zoroDORK is losing to the best
DPP OU: Void vs We Three Kings - Void coming into play offs with a hot streak of wins, hoping he continues to deliver
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs undisputed - as long as he doesn't get lucked he wins
GSC OU: Fear vs Tiba - Fear has been insane this entire spl and I just don't see him losing
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs roudolf13 - tinman's general prep/play has been great this season, hope he doesn't get lucked

I would like to point out that I am doing better than the ape.

awoo :3c

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
SM OU: ABR vs Cdumas
SM OU: Trosko vs Kory2600
SM UU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs Bushtush
SM RU: soulgazer vs Chill Shadow
SM NU: Rodriblutar vs lax
SM DOU: marilli vs Croven
ORAS OU: Updated Kanto vs Hiye
BW OU: SoulWind vs ZoroDark
DPP OU: Void vs We Three Kings
GSC OU: Fear vs Tiba
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs roudolf13

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't believe in writing shoutouts unless you make the playoffs or finals, but I just wanted to say a few things.

The first is thank you to all the guys. We had an awkward team, but everyone did their best to make it work, and we were helped greatly by some outside additions to our chat that made for a great team environment.

The second is to apologize to Ginku, which I haven't formally done. I stubbornly upbid you knowing that our team was likely not one you'd enjoy yourself on, against the will of Finch and John, so it's my fault alone. I doubt you'll ever want to sign up for SPL again, so I'm truly sorry about the way things went, and you didn't deserve what happened.

The third is thank you to Finch. It's so easy to make fun of this guy. He tries too hard, he says dumb things, memes of his face are force-fed down your throat whenever you log onto Smogon. He unironically listens to Halsey and unironically watches Riverdale. Everyone likes to root for his downfall because it's just so funny to see him be wrong. This leads to the automatic perception that Finch is a joke, and every new user on Smogon quickly learns this when they click on the Tournaments section. I'm not trying to be righteous here btw, I think Finch memes are funny, and I definitely won't stop making fun of the guy.

Because of this, I often feel that Finch is one of the most underrated people on this site. Everyone knows Finch's work ethic. He's a major contributor to multiple parts of Smogon and he's worked hard to become a great player as well. But I don't think you can really fathom the ramifications (heh) of having Finch around until you see them first hand. Dude had over 115,000 messages in our server. He was constantly active, talking with every player, trying to learn metagames, and testing. What I value the most though is that Finch cares. He allowed himself to be the butt of our jokes so the team could bond over making fun of him. When things went south, he put on a brave face and stayed positive. He's approachable, always willing to shoot the shit, or listen to your problems.

So, thanks Finch, hands down the best teammate I've ever had. Paying you homage with this unnecessarily sentimental essay. ONE TRIBE

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Sad that our season is over, but that was one hell of a run and I enjoyed working with my entire team -- yes, even testing with you, Eo. I have planned to post something about my time on the Bigs the past four years since well before this season even started as I do not plan to return as manager next season and I also have been asked to and want to post shoutouts, so I will include those as well despite us not making playoffs or winning (don't hate me pls).

I have been a Big ever since my first SPL, which was SPL 6. I went from Funk's failed upbid to a 10k retain to a team leader to the manager from season to season and it has honestly been an amazing experience, changing who I am on here and even IRL in some ways. I'm sure this might sound overly sensitive or like I am too invested and perhaps that is the case, but this tournament really has mattered to me on a personal level over the years and being able to compete as a member of the Bigs has been great. It has satisfied components of my personal drive to compete while also allowing me to interact/work with dozens of people who I now regard as good friends. I am really fortunate to have ever "made it" on Smogon back in late 2014 and I honestly feel that no matter how much negativity there is on a day-to-day basis throughout the tournament community (and there is lots) that it will always ultimately be a positive part of my life and I hope many others can say the same. With this said, I hope that, going forward, we can all try to be a bit more inclusive, positive, and fair to others in the community so that everyone can have an enjoyable experience -- I certainly know I have to do my part better when it comes to some of these things.

Before people ask or even begin to question where I am going with this: I will be playing SPL next year and I'm not quitting any parts of the website, so this won't get all emo and dumb if it may seem like it was starting to head that way lmao. With that said, I will not be managing the Bigs again and I do not plan to go out of my way to be a Big again. It has been four seasons and I have not won the tournament with this team, so it just feels right to move on now after doing all I can to try and win with this team.

While I do not wish to overstate my individual presence or influence, this is sort of the end of an era given how the Bigs have been seen over the past couple years as I am not sure if the team will maintain its culture moving forward. While the core of me, Funkasaurus, boudouche, and ZoroDark finally split up this year, with those three finding themselves on other teams after being Bigs with me from SPL 6-8, we still had some similar faces this time around such as d0nut, Windsong, and briefly Ginku. In addition, the vibe the team had also fit that of the Bigs, in my opinion. On the outside, that might not necessarily sound like a good thing seeing as it is pretty easy (understandably so) to adopt this "fuck the Bigs" attitude that has swept through some social circles over the past years due to our defiance of some cultural elements of Smogon ("antigoat" jerk) and some clashing of attitudes over the year (mostly some feuds with the Scooters last season, to be honest, but it is no secret that there have been some pretty heated weekend arguments involving myself and other Bigs with our opponents).

However, on the inside, I would not have it any other way. On the inside, the Bigs of the past four seasons have always been relatively close, aside from perhaps a brief period late in SPL 7 when we did not have a chance to make playoffs I suppose (and even then, the chat was still fairly active most nights). In my eyes, we embody a very unique type of team, one that is not necessarily driven together by a circlejerk of friends or a nationality or two joined together, but rather a type of synergy or mutual drive to succeed as a group of players with different ideologies, friend groups, nationalities, etc. that all have the same end goal: winning and having a fun experience.

Personally, I feel like we had competitive campaigns in SPL 6, 8, and 9 and our lack of success in SPL 7 came partially due to an over-reliance on a specific core of players that we essentially put on a pedestal as superstars and said "go and win us a trophy", which ultimately led to us all failing once things started to go a bit wrong on that front (this is not a shot at any of these players as they all worked hard and, Reymedy aside, had great attitudes, so much as it is an observation as to what happens when the balance we had is fundamentally weakened or altered). SPL 7 aside, the Bigs never really were the circlejerk team -- we had a bunch of people join our channel during playoffs in SPL 6, but ultimately that and poor performances did not pan out well as we lost in the semi-finals. The Bigs of the past four years are vastly different from teams such as the Raiders, who center themselves around a group of respectable tournament players that are in the same friend groups, or the Scooters, who center themselves around a number of respectable French players for the most part, or the Tyrants, who center themselves around a number of respectable, established veterans. The approaches of these three aformentioned teams, the Raiders, Scooters, and Tyrants, are not wrong/suboptimal at all, either --- in fact, many believe these are all good approaches synergy wise and will lead to a better performance team-wise. I do not object to that myself, but I do believe that the Bigs approach, especially this past season, is one that also renders this result and it is something that is greatly overlooked and rarely ever spoken about.

While we did have a "Serebii core" of d0nut, Windsong, and John that our draft plan this year centered around, our picks overall where based on practical value -- will these players be willing to work in our likely environment, will these players be active, will these players try their best, etc. and I feel like this worked wonders. While nobody was happy with our end result of missing playoffs, it was clear that we could compete with the best, as shown by our series vs 3 of the 4 playoff teams during the regular season imo, and it was also evident that we all enjoyed working with each other every single week when it came to preparation and simply being friendly with each other. This was also the case a vast majority of the time throughout the past 3 SPLs and that is why I went out of my way to make this point and bring this aspect of the Bigs outlook as a team to people's attention. It has been a really special ride and while I do not plan on shedding any tears (lmao), I will proudly say that I grew attached to my team this year, as I have in past years.

With this said, I would like to thank the following users for being a part of the Bigs with me over the past four years: Funkasaurus (6, 7, and 8), Harsha (6), McMeghan (6 and 7), Ginku (6), Laga (6 and 8), Destiny Device (6 and 8), Jirachee (6), boudouche (6, 7, and 8), Evuelf (6), Sam (6), atomicllamas (6), MetalGro$$ (6 and 7), Sinclair (6), BLINGAS (6, 7, and 8), TheEnder (6), Windsong (6 and 9), During Summer (6), Hill (6), ium (6), Vileman (6), ZoroDark (6, 7, and 8), royal flush (6), d0nut (7, 8, and 9), rozes (7), bugzinator (7), HANTSUKI (7), Reymedy (7), Malekith (7), SilentVerse (7), Improbable (7), galbia (7), Sken (7), Level 56 (8), Obliviate (8), dekzeh (8), Alexander. (8), Mael (8), Posho (8 and 9), Genesis7 (8), DaAwesomeDude1 (8), Ciele (8), Porengan (8), Coconut (8), Eo ut Mortus (9), bro fist (9), xray (9), marcoasd (9), Kushalos (9), Triangles (9), Mr.E (9), Manipulative (9), Honor (9), Jhon (9), Hot N Cold (9), Bedschibaer (9), and ayevon (9). There are also a number of individuals who helped us throughout the years and let it be known that all of your contributions and presences are also appreciated.

It has been amazing being a Big and I hope that the atmosphere of the Bigs will be replicated in many teams throughout the future.

Tokyo Tom - My assman and one of the people that made this team possible in the first place. I have a lot of respect for you, Ryan. We do not always see eye-to-eye, but you obviously wanted what was best for the team and never were afraid of speaking your mind, which is a must for anyone in a managerial position and it often kept my mind, as manager, open. While you do not necessarily have competencies across the generations and throughout lower tiers, you did do your best to discuss teams and games with our players, which often helped matters or at least cleared up confusion, which was quite helpful. I also valued your sense of humor and chat presence a lot as a good friend and I hope this continues throughout the future as it is chill having you around. All in all, for a duo of BW mains who rose to relevance over the past few years, I think we did a fine job overall and we kept the team together, made it an enjoyable experience, etc. We obviously had different approaches as managers, but I think they complimented each other quite well as if there was another tryhard, testing and discussing around the clock, I think everyone would go crazy. You had a pretty relaxed, yet caring sense of what was going on and how to consistently act, which I appreciated a lot. Also, I hope you did not take my "useless assman" shit seriously -- I do not expect anyone to ever match what I do in terms of tests and advice and whatnot obviously, as I said, and you did what you could when you could, which was great. It was fun getting to finally team with you and hopefully we can again at some point in the future. If you want the Bigs next year, the team is yours! I hope stuff goes well IRL and we can keep in touch, always a pleasure my man!

Editting this in after your post -- you really shouldn't feel too bad about the whole Ginku thing, by the way. I was in call with you and technically in charge and I did not stop you, so it is not really fair for you to take whatever "blame" there may be and, regardless of that, every single team takes risks that do not always work out and this simply was another one of those, so yea dw about that.

d0nut - I'm pretty sure we have the longest streak of teaming together for trophy tours of any two people on Smogon, dating back to WCOP 2015 (that means it has been WCOP 15, WCOP 16, WCOP 17, SPL 7, SPL 8, SPL 9, and Snake 1). With the potential WCOP change, Snake leading to new teams every year, my walking away from Bigs management, and your potential to not play/manage in a tour or two, this will probably end over the next year at some point, but man it has been one hell of a run. I wish we had more success to show for it -- we pretty much had it come down to the wire when it came to making playoffs during WCOP, Snake, and now this SPL, but didn't quite make it. Top that off with some pretty unfortunate stuff you had to endure this SPL with people questioning your retention and my purchasing of other GSCers and I guess this was not our best showing together, but it still was a fun one and it was definitely not all negative. As always, it was a pleasure to have you around - your chat presence is pretty underrated as you always know what you're talking about and have timely, witty remarks to add-in often. You got to play DPP again and this time things went a bit better than last, with you going 2-1, which is pretty cool to me seeing as I know that you never really were a GSCer so much as a generally solid player throughout the generations. And we got some of the old Serebii dudes on board like John and Windsong, which brought us a unique form of veteran synergy that I viewed as quite valuable and something that oftentimes kept our team together. While I am aware that this season itself was not all the fun in the world for you as an individual at times, I genuinely respect your devotion to the team regardless of that and I have felt this way about you as a teammate over the years - kind of why I was content retaining you in the first place, to be honest. All in all, it has been a lot of fun working with you and we have a lot of pretty memorable experiences together throughout the past few years on this stupid site and while I don't know if this is the end or not, I do want to say a genuine thanks for everything. I could go on and on, but this is long enough and I'm sure we'll be in touch on discord, so this is plenty for now.

Posho - My friend, it has been fun working with you these past two seasons. While the results you got this time around did not meet your personal expectations, I am still impressed by your development as a player and user over the past few years. We do not always share the same views on stuff in BW, but seeing your unique perspective is often very interesting to me when it does not involve Sub Punch Tyranitar or Alomomola. In addition to this, you are one of my favorite people on here as you're a genuine nice guy who wants the best for his team and his friends and I really respect that about you. While I know you plan to step away from playing a bit after STour and WCOP, I do hope you stick around and chat as I value our interactions. With that said, IRL is obviously the most important and I know exams/school have kept you busy recently and I hope you are doing well there! It's been a blast sharing dozens of shitty memes with you and kukking around every day. Best regards in the future and perhaps we will work together again!

bro fist - 31k well spent, no doubt in my mind about that. You're probably one of the best teammates I've ever had the pleasure of working with over the years and if that alone wasn't enough, you played insanely well this season - you just as easily could have been 8-1 if things went your way, but 6-3 is still a very good record. While I know that this team was not exactly a circlejerk of top players like East in WCOP or around some of your better longtime friends like the Scooters of the past, I think that we had a pretty solid amount of synergy going and it worked out pretty well, but a lot of that was thanks to your open mind and helpfulness when it came to having a lively chat and being productive every week with prep/tests. Ever since WCOP ended, I had wanted to team with you and I always thought that having a top OUer enhances a team on a number of levels, so that and the fact that d0nut brought up the old guard of Serebii with you and Windsong kind of gave me an excuse to essentially plan to get you no matter the price, which was what happened come the auction. While you built and discussed a ton of OU, being a huge reason in our success there, with the best regular season record in SM OU, you also supported xray a ton in ORAS, tested plenty in various other tiers, especially BW because Panch played around the clock, and always gave your input on important matters. It was a pleasure to have you on board as a teammate and a chat presence, the latter of which I think a lot of people underestimate, but for good reason seeing how solid your play is and how much attention that draws. You were one of the more active members of the chat and that really helped get the ball rolling for our team, which I personally appreciated a ton. It was great getting to team with you and hopefully we can again sometime, best of luck in the future man!

Eo Ut Mortus - eoat. Oddly artistic Mimikyu fetish aside, you have been one of the best performers this SPL and it has been amazing witnessing that, especially after working with you for a majority of the past year in WCOP and Snake. I really was unsure what to expect coming in as I knew your activity would not necessarily be consistent and we did not even plan to get you unless Jirachee and Zoro didn't pan out. Turns out the former was too expensive and the latter went too early, so you fell into our laps for a cheap sum later on and the rest is history! It is funny, really, because this 6-2 run really was not supposed to happen, but all of the pieces fell into place [insert puzzle pun here] -- Posho got moved to BW, you got up to speed with USM thanks to Nedor and John, and you started off strong to gain momentum moving forward. From there, you looked like a top player each week, showing creative builds and previously unseen strategies in order to give yourself advantages and increase team synergy and, overall, your crafty balanced building style did exceedingly well this tournament when paired with your aggressive, momentum heavy playing style. Individual success aside, as I'm sure you have heard enough at this point, you are a great addition to any team and that has been shown every time we have teamed together, including this SPL. You are a fun chat presence and you seemed to fit our environment quite well while also consistently contributing to the team from a Pokemon standpoint, too. I was pretty sad when I read your post when we got eliminated -- it was a great post and I am glad you enjoyed the time with the team, but I really wish we could have at least made playoffs as I know you have not had the opportunity in the past and you really deserved it. Hopefully this will change in the near future and if WCOP stays, then perhaps I can play a part in that. Regardless, it has been a lot of fun working with you and I hope your job situation works out well for you - be sure to let me know how that goes and best regards!

ayevon - Glad we got to pick you up as your support clearly benefitted us a ton. We lost two legitimate SM games throughout the second half and one was against Cdumas, so obviously we performed exceptionally well there and your support played a large role in this dominance. While you’re not a big name and not yet proven as a player, you’re playerbase and metagame knowledge are unquestionably on par with where an SPL player needs to be. You offered consistently helpful team advice and always found time to help test with both Eo and John. On top of that, you adapted to the team culture very quickly, almost as if you didn’t get thrown in midseason without much warning, which really impressed me considering that it was your first big tour and all. From custom Landorus-T spreads to fuck up Clefable to the inspiration behind the Jirachi team, all of your influence on our SM teams was positive and this is greatly appreciated from a managerial perspective. I’m glad we had you around in the chat and gave you a brief taste at SPL, but I hope you get chances to play tours like this and WCOP in the near future as experience is huge and I think you’re ready for it. Good luck and keep it up, hopefully we get to team again!

Manipulative - I know this tournament has been a disappointment for you results wise and you just want to get away from this game at this point, but I do want to say that it has been a pleasure getting to know you over the years and I am glad we finally got to team together once again after that UUPL a few years back. You have been on my radar since then and I knew you had what it took to compete at this level. You really showed that in some games this season, but it wasn't too easy to do so consistently when you lacked much support and you had a lot of harder opponents. I wouldn't dwell too much on the performance, anyway. It was a pleasure to have you around and I think you fit our team dynamic really well. You had a great chat presence when you were around and it was fun talking to you about a number of things. While I know you do not plan to play a ton moving forward, I hope we can stick in touch and I hope you end up transferring somewhere that is right for you and you go on to do really well there, both academically and socially. Best regards and thanks for everything man!

Windsong - You are a fucking beast dude. Coming out of nowhere, more or less, to kick ass once again -- impressive. Easily one of the best RU players of all time and also one hell of a dude to team with, you're really fun to be around. I wish that we could have made playoffs and won the tour because you honestly deserved it, but unfortunately we fell short. With that said, I think you had a great season and I hope you enjoyed the team environment as it seemed you got along pretty well with most of our dudes. I also hope you get to play BW at some point, perhaps in WCOP, as it would be really interesting to see how well you do and what you come up with given your history in the tier. Anyway, it was great talking to you about everything from Pokemon to ramen to d0nut's early posts. I know you have plenty going on IRL, but I hope you stick around and we can keep in touch. Best of luck with everything!

Hot N Cold - Sergio! :D Ryan said we should get you to help support RU and some OUs and I'm glad he did because you were a lot of fun to have around and you helped the team out a ton, especially with building in RU, but also with all of your ideas throughout so many tiers. You always had unique insight and plenty of helpful things to say and I am happy we got you. I wish we could have given you a chance to start and I know you are still good enough to do well, but unfortunately we just ran out of time and couldn't quite make it to playoffs where I would have given you a shot. Regardless, it was really cool having you around and I hope we can team together again in the future and you keep playing because you're a really cool dude -- good luck man!

Kushalos - The unset mastermind himself. You never fail to amaze me with the teams you come up with and the plays you manage to make. Overall, 5-4 is a pretty respectable record and while you made some mistakes, you also played well often and you built some pretty solid teams. I wish I could’ve helped you out more, but you seemed to have most things figured out and I was mostly good for testing, which was fine. You also contributed plenty to RU and even UU throughout the tournament, which was greatly appreciated. All things considered, I’m glad we ended up getting you. It wasn’t exactly planned, but your price made you easily worthwhile considering how high your ceiling is as a player. I’m glad you got to bring some creative teams and brought in wins with them - I didn’t want to put a stop to your style and I think allowing teams like what you used week 5 was for the best, even if they seemed risky. Additionally, you’re a really chill dude and I’m glad we had you on board - I think you complimented our other lower tier players well and you fit our team dynamic chat wise, too (p.s: keep up the joey memes). It was really fun getting my ass kicked by you time after time in tests and seeing all of your unique ideas/sets and I hope you keep doing well man!

Jhon - Not your best tournament and I’m not going to try and bs around that, but not entirely your fault either. I’m sorry for not providing a ton of support aside from my weekly checking-in and whatnot — I should’ve planned for another doubles player and that’s my fault, probably. Regardless of that, you clearly know how to play and build at a top level, so I’m not even sure how much support would have changed matters, but I hate leaving people alone on a team like that. I know a few little things truly were the difference between your record here and the 6-3 you put up in Snake and a lot of those weren’t entirely in your control, so take it easy and don’t worry about what happened as it’s all in the past now anyway. It was chill to have you around as always. Even if you aren’t the most chatty, I know you’re dedicated and your head is in the right place and I respect that a ton. Good luck in the future and hopefully we can work together again, let me know if you ever need any help with singles tiers ofc!

xray - You were insanely motivated all season long and seem super passionate about ORAS and I have a ton of respect for that. You’re a great player and your grasp on ORAS is up there with the best, too, so I’m glad you finished positive, even if it wasn’t up to your personal expectations. Regardless of that, I planned on getting you for a while after we talked pre-season and I’m glad we got you. You worked on teams everyday for hours and you set the tempo for everyone else to try their best and win — every team needs someone like that and I am glad you were our guy. You’re also fun to have around and helped out in other OUs when possible, even if they aren’t your areas of expertise. Sometimes you get a bit too into it and that’s fine by me honestly because I get the same way and so do many others, so don’t worry about that. I hope you keep playing ORAS in the future and we get to team again someday — good luck man.

Honor - I know you are usually pretty busy, but I am glad we got you for DPP and you got to play the first six weeks. While the results weren’t ideal, you got quite unlucky and you played really well anyway. I think you’re a really interesting DPPer with a ton of unique ideas and I hope you can showcase them more in the future. Sorry we couldn’t stick with you down the stretch, but I just wanted to see how other options did. You’re still a great player and I hope you keep on going in the future. Thanks for playing and chatting with us and best regards friend!

Triangles - My dude, I’m glad we got you for so cheap and you put up a pretty solid record. The core of you and Rui is really dynamic and I think you played some really solid games this season and the two of you had great team ideas (not really sure who made what or if I’m giving him too much credit, but either way you’ve always been an interesting builder in my eyes and it was nice seeing it firsthand). I’m not a big ADVer, but I can tell you really know what’s up in the tier and can compete with the best, even if you ran into some Pokemon related issues against BKC and Astamatitos when trying to prove that. It was also really chill chatting with you throughout the season about a number of topics, you’re a pretty fun presence and I think that added onto our team dynamic plenty. All things considered, it was a fun season and you did well. Thanks for everything and I hope we get to work together again!

Mr.E - You’re the best. Plain and simple - as you say it everyday. I know that our purchase of you was basically an accident and I don’t know what other managers where thinking, but it was great to slot you in GSC in relief and see you put up three key victories for our team. While I don’t always agree with your views or attitude, you’re a funny guy and it’s been cool talking with you. Glad I ended up getting you and hope you keep on playing man, good luck in the future!

Bedschibaer - Yea, this season wasn’t really fair to you. I have no clue why other managers didn’t go higher and valued the dudes they did the way they did, but I wanted an old generation substitute anyway and while my plans where a bit less proven and capable of starting right away, you fit the bill over them for sure. The thing is that this wasn’t really a fair end result for you as you clearly are good enough to start yet didn’t really get the chance to here, so I apologize for that. I hope that the team environment was at least enjoyable for you and I hope you get into a lineup really soon because you’ll definetly do well. With this said, the support you gave marco and our GSC slot was greatly appreciated and you were a strong teammate overall. Good luck in the future and keep the meme game strong!

marcoasd - The GOAT of RBY, you’re a fantastic player and I was glad we got you for relatively cheap. You had some rough weeks and ended up losing three of your four series to game three tauros wars, so that was a bit unfortunate, but regardless you kept going with your best effort and put up a positive record, so I am glad we had you on the team. Your ritual with MrE was hilarious and overall you’re a fun, old school chat presence that I enjoyed to have on the team. Thanks for doing well this season and tolerating this insane metagame for nine weeks straight. I’m sure that achievement list will keep getting longer and longer in the future, good luck man!

Over the course of the season, we had a number of users join our channel and provide their support to our team. On behalf of my entire roster, I would like to say thanks to all of you guys and also everyone who tested and discussed with my players on the outside in general. All of your efforts are greatly appreciated! Going on to the specific helpers:

crayon pop aka Osgoode aka a7x aka Sauga aka ChoA aka Immortal Jellyfish aka dicelover69 - In an e-world predominantly filled with males, one noble thinking man pursued the impossible -- e-girls. In a movie starring the only DPP player in SPL history to give his starting spot up to Mizuhime with the playoffs on the line, we follow the desperate, yet genuine, efforts of a young Canadian McDonald's enthusiast in trying to find an e-girlfriend. With a dynamic supporting cast including Doubles player Mizuhime, RU prodigy Nat (aka Natalie), Ubers standout Lacus Clyne, and SPL caliber DPP player Stan Soojung (aka Stanly), we get an inside perspective of the adventures of one of Smogon's most hardcore e-girl pursuers. Despite encountering a plethora of hardships and being on the verge of quitting dozens of times, our protagonist fights on through many tough battles, suffering defeat after defeat until he is pushed to the edge. And finally, with time running out, our hero seems to be out of luck until he notices that all along, he actually was in denial. For his true love was no modern e-girl, rather it was none other than a one-time princess turned e-boy, dice.

ftr, I'm obligated to say that this shit is all taken out of context and Osgoode is not actually obsessed with e-girls. The line totals are inflated because we joke with him a lot (like everyday p much) and our chat is just generally active. He's actually pretty normal if you disregard the Dugtrio fetish and McDonald's addiction, but those are different stories for another day.

Moving on to the actual shoutout, Osgoode has basically been a second assistant manager to the Bigs. He is comfortably the second most active in the chat and oversees pretty much everything DPP related and most things ADV related. Moving out of some weird indirect tone --- In my opinion, you're probably the best modern DPP builder and you certainly have the most effective ideas/concepts of anyone I have seen in the past year or two. You have been tons of help in securing a number of wins and helping us become sufficiently prepared for numerous other games. On top of that, you're almost always around to give general insight and discuss things with me or just chat it up, which is very helpful considering you are fairly close with the various members of the team that were Falcons last year. You've basically went from some DPP player who I did not know well at all to one of my best friends over the course of this SPL and it has been a really enjoyable ride. We have a ton of fun times to look back at and while the Bigs did not end up winning, I think we can both agree it was a worthwhile experience and we tried our best. All things considered, I hope you actually play tours in the future instead of being all emo during sign-ups about school and responsibilities only to be online all tournament anyway. But regardless of that, you're one of the best DPP minds out there so I hope you at least continue to make a mark on the tournament metagame of the tier and stick around to chat and whatnot because it is really cool having you around. Good luck in the future and 'till next time!

PDC - Pretty sure this SPL, much like Snake, has mostly been a daze for you, but it has been great having you in the channel just because you're a good friend with periodic advice in some OU tiers and you're always part of conversation. I have plenty more to say, but most pertains to IRL stuff and I'm sure I'll see you sooner or later, so yea -- you're coming back for Classic and WCOP, btw, and you have no choice in this matter.

Nedor - Your activity dwindled as the season progressed, but your impact was clear and it set the tone for our success in SM and ORAS. Iirc you built two teams for week one and you basically taught Eo the new things in USm and got him up to speed for him to make a huge run. On top of that, you worked a ton with xray and you meme'd around when we poked fun at Osgoode, too, which is always encouraged. I hope IRl stuff is going well and I can see you back in the game someday, but I totally understand you have priorities and it was a fun ride while it lasted anyway!

Sam - Longtime friend who I as very glad to have join the channel. While you do not necessarily play a ton, you actually had some nice general advice to me as a manager and even tried your hand at lower tiers when you had the time. I know school now keeps you busy, but it is always fun to chat with you and you fit our team dynamic pretty damn well early on and really throughout the season. I hope that grad school works out well for you and I also hope that you stick around on here because it is always cool to have you around. Thanks for the support and all, never forget the SPL 6 days!

Sabella - You joined our channel with 2-3 weeks left, but you put in a ton of work to help our SM and ORAS during the final stretch and that is appreciated a ton. You've developed into a great player over the past year or two regardless of your own individual record this season and I am eagerly awaiting your performances in future tours, so keep on grinding and you will get results like Snake and OLT, trust me. I love your attitude towards the game and you clearly are a good dude who is not afraid to speak his mind, as seen by your recent post (that was fire). I speak on behalf of our whole roster in saying thanks for the help and joining our channel -- hope you stick around and chat, it's always a pleasure!

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
sorry4daw8t
GOATNALYSIS
Week 9 ORAS

bros wtf have u ever seen a zone mirror where they both predict one another to switch out LMAO i get the first flash i guess cuz knowing scarfzone is faster and can volt out to scor but like why lmao fire is free chip dude got a ferro in the back why not try to kill or severely weaken the zone lmao then mounts fucking TBOTS knowing hes faster and dude cant switch out LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL and mfs rlly be naming themselves after the legendary philip7069 i mean i can name my kid lebron dont mean he makin the nba sheesh HUMBLE URSELVES w these knockoff philipnumbers names all of u added together wouldnt amount to an iota of the genius that is pokebattle (shoutout njnp trynna revive pokebatlte w some good saturdays namesake bullshit damn how u gonn knock off the concept AND the name bro njnp rlly RUN this bootleg shit u mfs just tourists)
anyhow knowing zam EATS mounts wisely gets it out asap but OH SHIT calm clef makin a return but a few turns later,,,,,, oh,,,,, the game devolves into yellow magic show where aidstendi begins to spread that yellow magic no johnson. presumably mounts was trynna get em up but parad all those turns, that rlly hurt scor forcin around switches n shit. however credit where due tendi outplays mounts for p much the entire game so the yellow magic p much only aids (no pun intended) him in finishing this game faster. damn but then again not like mounts coulda done shit lmao waht was he gonna do, not get rox and double around while nothin 2kos nothin? damn trash ass team what zone trappin for zam literally zor n thats it? that measn its twave cm clef so why u not gettin em up w ferro ok needed ferro for lati but it got chipped by weav anyway? how weav weak can this garbage be damn and vs tendi no less. what a poorly played/built game by mounts this one rlly a gift basket
how many philipnumbers knockoffs add up to 1 actual philipnumbers: trick question, never enuf :pikuh:
wow this one was actually a nail biter, tho literally no move for like 50 turns was one u would not expect, or any sort of tech, it was still an even back and fourth (not saying that took ANY sort of skill at all literally both clicked either hazards, a utlilty move, or a super effective move literally no play was made that u wouldnt expect. however things heat up goin into cune + zap pressure stall vs 4 mons. i gotta commend hiyes balls doubling to volc on the zapdos to bank on no paras vs the cune, but then again its a smart play cuz buzz bypasses sub. tbh tho i were that +3+3 cune i FORSURE tank the twave get up a free sub and im half way to gettin back to full hp cuz thats another 2 rounds of protect and 1 free hit off on anytihhng (prolly ferro) ok its oras so ferro outspeeds just a tad bit and w 13 pp on whip left aka 7 u gotta hope for no paras, but when is cune gonna get this good a chance to set up again at half hp and who u settin up on? lando breask sub and can uturn, starm twaves so same situation, ferro u still goin 4 pp stall, and weavile only on crash (which u r now around half so u dont even freely switch into. damn what a throw honestly at that big of a disadvantage when u have the chance to go 4 game u go 4 game, and u even greeded up w all those cms vs volc, switching out is 200% counterintuitive vs how u planned that lategame out, either dont greed or greed up and go4it
greedisgood: :swole::swole::swole::swole:
not sayin autowin if stayed in but switching was as good as a throw
damn rodri rlly brought birdspam in this bitch lmao i see the helmet chomp but still from preview rbt should win if the sets r standard and he doesnt throw like a mf. ah alas, got outplayed by sucker but tbh he had to sucker there if he was fat mana because he would think that u would think that +1 would kill, and even if he was skinny mana he still had to sucker cuz +1 was gonna kill. either way the dd was free but then again hindsight 2020 im just armchairing, and the fact taht rbt literally lead w the one thing that leads on his team vs the one thing w fout on the other team and also his bird doing literally 0 to chomp (whihc is unfortunate and lsot him the game) is pretty sad. in fairness maybe he calced and it was low roll? i mean talon was the better play here vs the other mons, but i mean i guess starmie too can just fish or somethin idk either its a rlly low roll on bb/explosion or maybe explosion high roll made him undercalc the chomps tankiness? i mean phew that sucks but yea 0 plays were made nor attempted lmao u go in w autopilot team u shut down ur brain since turn 1 and u literally coulda played this game off a manual, fuck u expect lmao deserved loss garbage player alert
number of combined plays made by both sides: :pikuh:
phew this was a baddie if iv ever seen one
this game is too hard to understand man this shit is like idk its like if u gave 2 monkeys 2 teams and let them hit random buttons right, eventually one is gonna make a click thats gonna make u go wow that shit rlly deep right there, but then 2 turns later ur like wait how does that play make sense in respect to the rest of the gameplan i mean shit just DOES NOT STOP bro i get using cune to force out volc i mean thats a u cant touch me i cant touch u situation but the clef series of plays i mean my gosh i get that u fear the tar comin in on talon but like idk ok maybe thats justifyable i mean ok wow maybe this game is just all about clicking bros whoever overthinks and pussies out just loses lmao gvae up 2 turns of momentum and got hit 2 the thunder tech adn the game ends there i mean i guess just team structure, i mean ok actually wtf am i sayin znains dogshit lost t0 how often do u see a teams clef answer be talon tho i get boltbeam for scor ok fine clef the mon is the problem stop usin fat u just lose to clef fuck this mon in oras gay ass if u use clef u a cuck
i guess gorundvolc 6-0s one team and the bb clef 6-0s the other lmao mfs rlly just bankin no morgan stanley
:pikuh:
wow xray brought p much the same team as znain (that format of dian ground lati fwg w f talon w cune/starm/keld type shit) but teched to ct cbbs usual shit. damn i think this game was lost when hydra got knocked, i mean tbh tho surf is a good play cuz noone expects it but maybe xrray just didnt wanna take a full on draco since willow taunt bird does woek vs cbb, so i agree w the knock there (surf was the midground to catch talon or diancie, i mean tbh xray just played risky i dont see a problem w surfing just personally id draco 200% of the time fuck 12. cbb then proceeds to outplay every turn besides t17 which ok yea the lando was the switchin cuz xrayprolly knew the ip-less gross (bp and presumably suit so that shows it), and luckily gets up rocks. cbb has no removal and cant get rocks v diancie, which is why no ep tran is GOOCHE and id rather run rox on scarf lando xd. the game ends on t17 cuz cbbs team w no removal and only 1 recovery (2 counting tran) cant fight the war of attrition. i mean i guess cbb should still spam plume and hope for burn maybe idk but this counter was pretty hard. like look at this shit cbb outplays all but maybe 2-3 turns out of around 50 and only cuz xray went for midground plays and not because he read cbbs play. i mean u can argue that xray didnt NEED to make plays but yea ok grats u got a ct
chances of cbb winning out of 5: :pikuh: literally had to pursuit the diancie every time and plume burn it as early as possible to get rocks, then the lati was forced to fog and not hw and die to pursuit so lando doesnt have an extra life, hydra needed to keep spex and hit something on the switch cuz tht shit was the only thing 2koin anything so yea i mean that game was winnable yes but ud have to be cbyacht to win if cbboat himself couldnt pull it off

Week 9 BW
clash of the titans im lookin forward to this shit. nvm lmao that t1 is ASS lmao mcm rlly lead w the not 1 of 2 things that doesnt let keld get a kill but ok in fairness this shit WAS his lead for keld to not get a kill since he didnt think itd be spex, but hey it worked out cuz spex was nabbin one t1 regardless so i guess leading w the mon that can at least dodge was the right play? anyhow lets see if ojama can do anythin i mean ok anyhow i just wanna point out how FUCKING weak mcm is to scarf keld i mean ANY sort of hazards + keld i mean like ANY ferro + keld team rain or otherwise eats his gooche like wtf is this shit, ojamas best lead was keld too cuz if that was spex then it def was the lead since mcms 2 leads r his keld or thund. damn wtf despite having lost 2 mons soooo early and gettin encored into a sd (great play by mcm) but then again i personally think that jama shoulda clicked rage if he was yache (which i think is what this team runs), since zor is forsure switching out and its either the toed sack or i guess thund? coming in, so either way u aovid the worst case scenario which is encore. nvm it wasnt yache but then id still rage cuz at least u kill whatever is comin in or srsly dent it. ojama stilllllll was so close to winning, this just goes to show the difference between a good team and a bad team (i aint sayin mcms team is gooche but hey i also like my scarfkeld counter to be trying to speed tie then doing 70%) damn poor jama this one was in the fuckin BAG but i guess both teams r out so it didnt matter. mcm lucky ass secured another one in his luck bag (srs wtf is taht shit i wouldnt bring that shit for fun)
how lucky mcm is: :swole::swole::swole::swole: only 4/5 cuz dodged hydro, hey at least the endgame was played impeccably, tbh thisgame was a lot less close than it seemed mcm had 8-2 adv when keld died 9-1 when lati died and secured the bag w chomp kill.
ok idk if zoros thought process was this but ot would be impressive if it was, cuz on smurfs team only 2 things lead against chomp and the best is nite, so he used lati to pivot into chomp basically guaranteeing a good mu, if so then good setup for early gaem cuz i love doin that shit. OR maybe he just was spex lati and wanted to fire one,,, i mean that makes sense too it beats all but scarf bird lead, in which case he has to pick one if he wasnt scrf lati. ok nvm it was scrf lati he lead it for raptor or nite ok so that wasnt just a lucky lead and t1 switch wow im impressed. the sandstorm rachi was some hot ass tech tho i think spamming surf was 400% the play i eman what does trick accomplish? the more sand turns u waste the better actually fuck lati, also anyone notice if the ferro had seed this game was over and none of this tech wouldv mattered? like why tf would u run seedless ferro this shit aint a watermelon, and if he did have seed then WAHT A FUCKING CHOKE,,,, i mean ok why save the ferro if u dont have seed u dont have tect, this shit at like 20%,,, also after the game zoro said tht his torn had taunt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IT HAD TAUNT oh look at this team weatherless w torn gee i wonder what set it is ah can it be the fuckitspexcaininsandorhopeirunintorain teccccccC?????? or the raindance for my waterpulse sandstorm rachi synergy techhhhhhh WHY WOULD U NOT TAUNT acro doesnt kill from full and he FORSURE was banking on u killin him and sweeping w rage,,,,,,,,,, wow i mean yea i agree smurf madea ll the right plays to win but zoro def steph curryd this one into the landfill.
zorocurry stat line tonight: :swole::swole::swole::swole::swole: points/1 assist (to smurf)/0 rebounds/1 turnover
clearly jabba didnt know how to play vs this liepard heat. im not gonna take credit for makin this team cuz this shit is a lowe tier specialty but i did make it ou compatible and give it to sw tho so imma take that credit. a feelgood game that shows u why this is the only team i play in bw
:blobthumbsup:
another supposed heaty matchup lets see how this goes. ok ok standard openin both throwin around their fat waters to go into their hazarders, luck has all the momentum early gettin up every spike and taunting ferro phew w that blast hit he is in good form w zam if thats not scarf lando (if it is then scarfchomp cleans? ok lets see wow 1 fblast miss 2 fb misses phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww luck do be over skill bro. ok so it was scrfchomp and it was scrflando, so yea that sux cuz scarfchomp was gonna eat ass if that ferro died. well what can u do, zam dying p much sealed it for luck wow this game actually was very str8forward lmao hit moves n win miss n lost damn. LOOOOOOL even the draco missed damn it rlly was written in the stars that thou shalt not touch kevgoat in this game that is known as pokevmon yaheard
lucks luck vs kevs skill: :blobshrug: v :bloblul::bloblul::bloblul::bloblul::bloblul:
saw this shit live and thought this was a rlly good gaem esp impressive since peason is an rby player. however i guess even an rby player knows hwo to get rox n double into the thing that 2kos everything, and surprisingly he took momentum rlly well this game w the only missplay being not clicking sedge every time rak is in (ccd the first time) but w one swift double he got big whorseofhorseye right back in there. it owulda been a real ass nigga play to go into rak on turn 20 exca spin, but ok fine there was no reason to (but then thats all the reason there is). poncho made the wrong ihead play earlier then iheaded the second time to save face, but that was just a "at least i didnt get flexxed on too hard" play rather than a game saving play cuz this game was way over by then. i think poncho needed to play more aggro since every volturn into big rak is a kill, and tar basically cant come out (but then who tankin these dracos) so yea this one was tough. wp by peas tho not gonna take anything away
no chokes this was the best bw game this week :bloblul:

ps sorry not enuf material this week in weak ass oras n bw, like no rlly good/profound games or laughably bad ones so its just retards clickin buttons, i will bring more heat next week

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
tbh this was the shittiest season yet on account of me going for 3k on a bait nom and then riding the bench for half a season despite being an upper-tier player :smogthink: but team was alright minus Beds going psychotic over me for having the gall to use Smeargle once (at least he didn't seem to notice the multiple weeks of me using dream eater eggy only for every opponent to run tyranitar rendering it useless)

go anyone but ruiners I guess, I don't wanna have to feel like I got screwed out of a trophy on account of bad TD decisions, plus tiba's a shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)