Smogon Premier League IX - Semi-Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
If a disconnection occurs, please notify a tournament director immediately. An available TD will then export the game data. TDs have a maximum window of three hours after a game concludes to export game data before the game expires, and require consent from both players to do so. Please note that in the case of a true DC, you must give your consent if the TDs attempt a recreation or the game will be considered an activity loss. If no TDs are online, please tag them in the official tours discord using the @Tournament Director tag.

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is recreated.

~ Aldaron

This should be a smooth ride if everyone follows the instructions above. (schedule via VM, submit teams, don't start drama for no reason)

---

[#1] Wi-fi Wolfpack (6) vs [#4] Alpha Ruiners (6)

SM OU: ABR vs Cdumas
SM OU: Trosko vs Kory2600
SM UU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs Bushtush
SM RU: soulgazer vs Chill Shadow
SM NU: Rodriblutar vs lax
SM DOU: marilli vs Croven
ORAS OU: Updated Kanto vs Hiye
BW OU: SoulWind vs ZoroDark
DPP OU: Void vs We Three Kings
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs undisputed
GSC OU: Fear vs Tiba
RBY OU: The Idiot Ninja vs roudolf13

Tiebreak:
BW OU: SoulWind vs We Three Kings

[#2] Dragonspiral Tyrants (6) vs [#3] Team Raiders (6)

SM OU: z0mOG vs -Tsunami-
SM OU: psychicmewtwo vs Gondra
SM UU: Christo vs Pak
SM RU: SilentVerse vs R!cardo
SM NU: cb jose altuve vs Zukushiku
SM DOU: stax vs Kaori
ORAS OU: blunder vs TDK
BW OU: dice vs BKC
DPP OU: Bluewind vs roscoe
ADV OU: UD vs Jirachee
GSC OU: Lavos vs choolio
RBY OU: Earthworm vs MetalGro$$

Tiebreak:
SM OU: z0mOG vs BKC
SM UU: Christo vs TDK

---

Deadline is Sunday, March 18th at 11:59 PM EDT.

If I made a mistake with any matchups or names, please contact Quite Quiet or myself.

24/24 matches completed

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Asked about what the Raiders might do "if" they win SPL, TDK said there "ain't no if" about it, that the Raiders are going to win and they are going to party.

"Ain't no 'if,' man. When we win on Sunday, ain't no telling what we're going to do," TDK said. "But we're probably going to celebrate, have some fun."

"I'll probably do some drugs," Ricardo added.

BKC could be heard yelling "SWANS!!!" in the background.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
[#1] Wi-fi Wolfpack (8) vs [#4] Alpha Ruiners (4)

SM RU: SilentVerse vs mael
SM NU: cb jose altuve vs Zukushiku

Tyrants win tiebreaker.

GGFan

Banned deucer.
I suppose it's time for me to write what the layman refers to as a "shoutout post." Very well. I shall do my best to write something that most accurately articulates my feelings about this whole experience.

As some of you know, I was ostracized from the Smogon realm for about 13 years before finally making my "debut" this SPL. Actually, I surreptitiously signed up in the 2015 RBY Global Championship and went quite far before McMeghan unveiled my true identity and removed me. Prior to that, I reached the semi finals of a GSC tournament, where I was vanquished by none other than McMeghan in my what was my favorite contest ever in this tier. How humorous.

This time, I participated in a Smogon tournament under my real name, and the circus was packed for my week 1 encounter against Diegolh. I'll admit that having so many people in that server anxiously waiting for the start of the game was an amazing experience I never felt before. Not only did people from the Smogtours realm come to witness the spectacle, but so did the mentally challenged anti-GGFan buffoons from the past like Waterbomb and other gimmicks from Smogon's social forums. Unfortunately, I lost the set in tragic fashion, having two 90% win conditions and losing them both, but I was able to rebound and went into week 4 with a solid 2-1 record thanks to scoring huge victories over Peasounay and Lusch. By week 8 I was ultimately content with my performance, as I was able to secure a victory against a Smogon franchise, Earthworm, in a high stakes game for our team that kept our playoff hopes alive.

But enough about me, let me address certain individuals.

M Dragon, I'll begin with you. We go back to the simple times of the PO ladder, where we talked about competitive RBY and experimented with interesting concepts. Though you did join Pokemon Perfect and played in quite a few tournaments early on, by 2014 we went our separate ways. You went back to Smogon while I focused on Pokemon Perfect; therefore, I did not imagine we would ever reunite. Thank you for recognizing my skills in this tier and drafting me over other deserving players. I did my best for the team and am grateful that you gave me the opportunity to play in SPL, something I never thought would happen. My SPL debut occurred 16 years after I started playing, which must be the longest time spent playing before getting drafted in this tournament.

Conflict, you vouched for me during the draft season, which helped me get chosen over Troller. We also have a history that goes back to simpler times. Our tournament match in the semi finals of the 4Chords Cup on Pokefans is still one of my most memorable and greatest games ever, and it makes me happy to know that you are still among us. I would also like to thank you for being so supportive after my tough week 1 loss to Diegolh, which helped get my mind in the right place by week 2.

Teddeh, thank you for being a great chat presence. You always had motivating and uplifting words for me whenever I was in doubt about myself, my team choices, movesets, etc. You were phenomenal in this tournament and you will go down as one of the greatest players ever in your respective tier for sure.

Arifeen, thank you for your exceptional chat presence as well. The importance of supportive teammates in this environment can't be understated.

BTB, thank you for also being another excellent teammate. Seeing you excited and thrilled when we won was motivating. When we lost, you helped assuage the tension.

Exiline, thank you for filling in for me in week 6 and nearly beating Alexander. You showed a lot of team spirit and you gave it your all in those games despite limited knowledge of the tier.

Laurel, thank you for being an exceptional midseason pickup with your great chat presence.

Kevin Garrett, when the doubters ranked you #9, you shut them up for good with an incredible performance. Seeing you go out there so late in your run and beating players far more invested than you (CALLOUS, for example) was inspiring. When you weren't playing, you were also an invaluable chat presence as the veteran motivator.

TOF, you consoled me after my unfortunate week 1 loss despite having your own problems. I admire you rebounding from a disappointing start and proving to everyone that you are still one of the best the game has to offer.

BKC and Peasounay, thank you for being two of the major catalysts behind lifting my ban from Smogon. If it weren't for you, I may still be banned from Smogon today.

Hikari, thank you for being the one to remove my ban as well as your unbiased attitude towards me.

Everyone in the Smogtours server, thank you for giving me something to do whenever I was bored.

McMeghan, thank you for messaging me during the season and apologizing for your behavior back in the Global Championship. You made SPL feel like a culmination for me.

Thank you to everyone who wanted me to fail, for there is no fun in playing this game without a healthy dose of ignorant haters. To those of you who expected me to quit after week 1 or get banned after two weeks, I have but one thing to say to all of you:

SWWWIIMMMMMMM IIIIINNNNNN GGAAAAARRRBBBBAAAGGEEEEE, O YOU GARBAAAAGGGGEEEEEEE!

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
I'm really thankful to obii and Philip7086 for giving me a shot at this, sorry I couldnt do better. Big shoutouts to everyone in the scooters, u guys were all super chill and fun to be around with and it was definitely an experience to team up w/ u all in my first SPL and despite our team record, u guys are all really good at the game. A major shoutout goes to FlamingVictini for being overall the best support to me in testing, with teams and just trying to keep me motivated early on, really appreciate it man.

s/o fpoa u guys are wild as fuck

Also rooting for the ruiners to take it!

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Let's go

Wi-fi Wolfpack (7) vs Alpha Ruiners (5)

Dragonspiral Tyrants (7) vs Team Raiders (5)

SM NU: meeps vs Zukushiku

I really like a lot of the matchups these finals, very excited to watch!

[#1] Wi-fi Wolfpack (7) vs [#4] Alpha Ruiners (5)

SM UU: Christo vs Pak - get some reps in for your chest and you'll win
SM NU: cb jose altuve vs Zukushiku - trae young

-------
SM DOU: marilli(45) vs Croven (55)- Full honesty, marilli hasn't played well this season and he's been pretty up front about that himself. Croven has gotten better toward the end of the season and I think that trend continues and Croven will take this game.
SM DOU: stax (0) vs Kaori (100) - lax got banned lol

ADV OU: Astamatitos vs undisputed - highlight

BHARATH_THEBEST

Destroyer Of Worlds
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Yo!End season post coming through:

I am a little sad that we could not make it to playoffs but failure is a stepping stone to success and its mons,so its all cool.I enjoyed most of my games and Finishing 5-3 is decent I guess but I was definitely hoping for a better record so sorry if I let down any of my fans.11-3 in officials (and 17-3 including unofficials) is probably a good way to retire lol.My Plans are to be a full time manager from here on and make sure newer talented people get more opportunities.I really enjoy my time on smogon and have met a lot of great friends through this community.
I am usually the kind of guy that spreads a lot of positivity but I might be offending a few people in this post but after almost 10 weeks of SPL I feel like I want to let go of my emotions a bit.Initially I had spoken to no other manager except Teal and I thought I would be max. 12k worth on team Cryos along with the majority of my friends but I ended up being a 16k Shark which I definitely had mixed emotions about.I was glad that someone would trust in my ability so much that they would go all out on me in such a manner but at the same Time I was a bit nervous because I dint know a lot of people on the team and there a lot of relatively new faces that I had not met or spoken to before.Overall it was a weird experience and Although our team had a chance until the very end, throughout the season I was a bit disappointed by the attitude and level of involvement from some of my teammates.Here are some of my honest opinions on the Sharks as a team:-
Mdragon-I want to start this on a positive note so I will just start with u David.Personally I think you are the best manager anyone could ask for.U literally carry the entire team on your back and I think u are just really awesome in general.I learnt a lot from you and to be really honest I dont think I could survived the first few weeks on the team without you.All those random 20 OU games sessions and talks we used to have was really fun and I am really glad to have met you!There is however a few things you need to know.I think the team environment on the Sharks was quite dull and for a relatively newer player like me its really hard to adjust to such an Environment where its just a bunch of old goons who dont really talk much and the team synergy isn't really that great.However I think this was like partially fixed with addition of subs and a few of Teddehs friends but the chat was really dull compared to my Snake chat and it was initially hard for me to really adjust to.Also u are a really emotional and sensitive person and dont let others words hurt u too much.I dont really know if u wear a hood or not(lmao) but if u do U are like the anti-hero who I hope never gets caught :D.Great meeting u.(DONT QUIT NOOB,LETS TEAM AGAIN AND THIS TIME I WILL MANAGE U :D).

hikari-Dint really talk much but I think u did a decent job at supporting lower tiers and ik u were in hospital for the first few weeks take care of ur health man.Wud have been really cool if u were a bit more active and spoke a bit more.

Tricking and Teddeh were prolly two of the best people I came across through this SPL and I think both of them are really awesome and really fun to just chat and chill with.
Conflict was a person who I really liked to talk to in the starting weeks but later on u were too busy zz and we dint really talk much
Arifeen was a great sub throught the tour and I am glad u got to showcase ur in game ability in the last 2 games :].Good Job and keep it up
GGfan is probably one of the people I only have the best things to say.This man is a complete team player and is fully dedicated to the game.Really glad to see how well he carries himself in the team chat.
Laurel I am glad I could convince a few people to get u added to the team ur an absolute beast of a team player and I think u were a fantastic sub and u shud definitely be given more opportunities to showcase ur in game ability in future tours
KG and Steve Angello I spoke to u guys a bit in the start and u were really supportive towards me and I really appreciate it.
Dodmen and Deman were quite cool too but dint really speak much with them.I know u guys dint end up with the records u would have hoped for but its mons and I am sure u will bounce back!
These were probably the only people I spoke to and had decent convos with.

Axel-This is second time I have teamed up with u and surprisingly I still dont know u at all lol.To me It really doesnot matter that u have 2 really disappointing records tbh but I think if u are really that busy u shud prolly not sign up for team tours but its just my opinion.U spoke a few lines in the first few weeks when u had to play ur games and then later on in the next weeks u mega evolved and said nothing at all.
Lednah-Idk if its because I could not understand ur English lol but whenever u spoke I felt like I shud just kms.I felt like whenever u said something it was just mainly negative and irritating.I am fine with u having ur opinions which I may or may not agree with but there is an honestly a way to say it.Idk If it was ur English or attitude but it was annoying however I think ur contribution to the team was decent.
Exiline-I think u took a lot of blows for the team like getting subbed into 2 games at the last minute and just trying to do well which is commendable.I also think u were a good sub for the most part.But there was this one time I asked for opinions about a team I was gonna use and after reading what u said I muted my channel.There are a few things I have seen u say in games and in certain posts which I would advise u to stop and control.Despite all this I think u do make for a good teammate and I wish u luck in the future and hope u do well.
ToF-I feel like ur a cool guy for the most part other then when the games are going on.U commenting on every single game and saying oh y did he do this n wtf was that play etc is kinda unnecessary and I think the new gens player know the shit they are trying to do.Not speaking about other tiers but bout OU where u suggest a few plays which are outright not good and shows u lack an understanding of the gen.No offense I think u are a really good dpp player and prolly a top tier player but I think u shud be a bit more polite when suggesting/criticizing plays but I kinda can understand the frustration of playing for so long and not being able to clutch a team tour trophy.
Nihilillie-I think ur a nice person for the most part and would like to believe u do play ur games on ur own.But there are some serious issues with u being bought in the first place Which I dont think is ur fault but mostly the managers because ur relatively unknown and people legit work their asses off hoping that they someday make SPL and u being an opportunity is a big slap on all those hardworking individuals and also throws a lot of shade on the team.Just Personally a small piece of advice if u do more team tours I think u should talk and socialise a bit more with ur teammates.
Shoutouts to That one random bystander in the team chat who was not on team but popped up every now and then to only speak shit about tiers he prolly has no clue and has never played before zzz to give his annoying opinions and criticize as though his life depends on it.

I think I prolly missed a few names but I guess its prolly coz we never spoke and I have neutral opinions.So moving on,Like I mentioned earlier the Sharks chat was really dry and nothing much interesting really happened.There were some people who never ever spoke or just spoke whenever they had to get their games done.It was initially really hard to adjust to the team environment and I hope the future managers take my general viewing and perspective into Consideration because the Sharks are a top quality team on paper but without real team Synergy there is a clear lack of purpose and motivation.
Overall was a unique Experience to say the least and I am glad I got to meet a few cool people especially David <3.

This is gonna be a huge ass list and I wanna make sure I cover everyone :D.

ayevon -Probably my best buddy on this site I know u from like 2 years and its always super fun talking to u,building with u,laddering with u and all the other shit we do together.Tysm for all the support and for always being there for me and supporting me.Ur probably one of the best people I have met and NEW YUNG MAN BRIGHT STAR INCOMING WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!GL in future tours and hope u get to show everyone how solid u are.

z0mOG -Bro ur a freaking beast my man.I absolutely adore u and ur like one of my best buddies on this site.Funny how I only know u since like a few months and ur already one of the best people I have ever met.GL IN FUTURE ROUNDS.I am sure u will do absolutely fantastic.I really have a lot of fun talking to you and building and playing u for fun and ur one heck of an awesome person.

bro fist -JOHN AKA BRO FIST is someone I looked up to from a long ass time and I Sincerely Thank you for all the support u provided me.Thank you for using a part of ur time to go through my teams and help me out and it was really amazing just talking to u.Ur a great person and imo undoubtedly the best player of this game.

teal6 -Unfort bro that we dint end up on the same team and things dint go as planned but uk ur my best best buddy on smogon and we will always be best best buddies <3.

Starmaster-thanks for going over my teams and all the tests u gave me.I wish u get unbanned soon coz I know for a fact that u are a changed man and u wont repeat ur mistakes again.Ur a really cool dude and is really fun to talk to u.

Poek -Its been a while since we spoke for hours like the snake days but we are both extremely busy.But thank you for all the initial support and the Pitvipers shud like chill someday again bro like the old days :D.

My Snake Team (aka THE PITVIPERS)-I realised the value of a team like the PITVIPERS this SPL and u guys are fucking awesome and love ya all <3333.

The Falcons- Mainly my bros xray and crayon pop .U guys are really freaking awesome and xray bro I met u quite sometime ago when I was still a novice n I think I have come a long way since that day but u always stuck around for me and thank you so much for that <3.Rui ur really funny and awesome bro Really fun talking to u :goat:.

THE LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST THE ULTIMATE ONE:-

THE DEN-The Den is a part of me for like 2 years now and I love almost every single one of u in there.This is the best server for mons :D and u guys know who u are but u have a major part of my support and fanbase ty u all.Shoutouts to Denis and Dokk aka GOAT ADMINS and all the mods and drivers and everyone who I speak to in the Den.Bright future stars incoming here.WATCH OUT!

Shoutouts to all my opponents u have all been great and was a pleasure battling all of u.Good luck to all of u in future rounds and tours.Special Shoutouts to Cryos,Bigs(Finchinator <3 dont be too heart broken man Love u,u are the best <3) and Tyrants who have been really supportive towards me.

Hope to see some cool awesome games in playoffs!GL to all the teams that made it through and Peace guys!!!

-BTB OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)