Smogon Premier League IX - Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
Ah, the big beefcake. I'm going to go ahead and put this out there: we reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

That said, here is the main way we will probably handle DCs / timing out:

To handle all DC cases...you're gonna submit your teams before the match. Create a thread in the Team Submissions Forum with an import of your team, preferably using https://cryptobin.co/. You don't have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. If you do DC (and you can't rejoin the battle) and you haven't submitted your team, your opponent will have the right to take the win. Yes, I'll most likely make a judgment call if he is on his last turn with 1 Pokemon at 5% and paralyzed and with you at 6 100% health Pokemon, because the only way to lose this is to misclick multiple times. However, if you're at 6 100% Pokemon and your opponent is at last Pokemon 10% needing to crit flinch you 6 - 12 times for the win, I'll give him the win if you DC and haven't submitted your team.

I know people like Philip7086 will beg me "to use common sense for a judgment call" for all cases and I would normally agree, but I am giving you all a 100% out by allowing you to submit your team. Basically, submit your team, and protect yourself and your team from any and all DCs. It's a simple procedure that removes almost all subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team your are using at anytime before the match takes place, and you'll have 100% protected yourself. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the PLAYER (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

To further ensure no funny business, if, in the case of a DC replay, there is any concern from either party about funny business, both parties have the right to request a screenshot of the current Pokemon's stats in battle. This is irrelevant for Showdown as you can simply rejoin a battle there, but PO allows you to see the currently out Pokemon's stats if you scroll over it with your mouse. Just hit PrntScrn (windows) while scrolling over it if requested by your opponent, preferably with proof that it is a screenshot of that actual battle (consider including the opponent's request in the battle screen in the screenshot).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

~ Aldaron

This should be a smooth ride if everyone follows the instructions above. (schedule via VM, submit teams, don't start drama for no reason)

---

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs Indie Scooters (7)

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Philip7079
SM OU: azogue vs Philip7080
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Philip7081
SM RU: lighthouses vs Philip7082
SM NU: Hootie vs Philip7083
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Philip7084
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Philip7085
BW OU: McMeghan vs Ojama
DPP OU: Tamahome vs Philip7O86
ADV OU: k3nan vs Philip7087
GSC OU: Century Express vs Philip7088
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Philip7089

Alpha Ruiners (6) vs Stark Sharks (6)

SM OU: Cdumas vs BHARATH_THEBEST
SM OU: Kory2600 vs nihilillie
SM UU: Bushtush vs dodmen
SM RU: Chill Shadow vs Arifeen
SM NU: lax vs Teddeh
SM DOU: qsns vs Demantoid
ORAS OU: Hiye vs Tricking
BW OU: ZoroDark vs Smurf.
DPP OU: We Three Kings vs ToF
ADV OU: undisputed vs Kevin Garrett
GSC OU: Tiba vs Pleasure
RBY OU: roudolf13 vs GGFan

Wi-fi Wolfpack (7) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (5)

SM OU: soulgazer vs Will of Fire
SM OU: Trosko vs Analytic
SM UU: Cynde vs Christo
SM RU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs J0RIS
SM NU: The Idiot Ninja vs The Goomy
SM DOU: marilli vs Lunar
ORAS OU: Rodriblutar vs psychicmewtwo
BW OU: SoulWind vs JabbaTheGriffin
DPP OU: Updated Kanto vs dice
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs UD
GSC OU: ABR vs Lavos
RBY OU: Nails vs Tobes

Team Raiders (8) vs Congregation of the Classiest (4)

SM OU: TDK vs Blackoblivion
SM OU: R!cardo vs Z+V
SM UU: Pak vs Sacri'
SM RU: mael vs Bouff
SM NU: Zukushiku vs Pohjis
SM DOU: Kaori vs EmbCPT
ORAS OU: Gondra vs Znain
BW OU: BKC vs LuckOverSkill
DPP OU: roscoe vs NightFox
ADV OU: Jirachee vs thelinearcurve
GSC OU: choolio vs Jimmy Turtwig
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Lusch

Ever Grande BIGS (7) vs Cryonicles (5)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs HT
SM OU: bro fist vs ict
SM UU: Manipulative vs Tman
SM RU: Windsong vs Nat
SM NU: Kushalos vs London Beats
SM DOU: Jhon vs Biosci
ORAS OU: xray vs CrashinBoomBang
BW OU: Posho vs Peasounay
DPP OU: d0nut vs Snou
ADV OU: Triangles vs Poek
GSC OU: Mr.E vs sulcata
RBY OU: marcoasd vs Arii Stella

---

Deadline is Sunday, March 11th at 11:59 PM EST.

If I made a mistake with any matchups or names, please contact Quite Quiet or myself.

60/60 matches completed

Last edited:
SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Philip7079
SM OU: azogue vs Philip7080
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Philip7081
SM RU: lighthouses vs Philip7082
SM NU: Hootie vs Philip7083
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Philip7084
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Philip7085
DPP OU: Tamahome vs Philip7O86
ADV OU: k3nan vs Philip7087
GSC OU: Century Express vs Philip7088
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Philip7089

What the Philip?

Oh, and predictions will come soon

3-8
SM OU: soulgazer vs Will of Fire 0-100 will of fire has never lost a tournament game before and never will
SM OU: Trosko vs Analytic 80-20 ok no memes analytic sucks easy trosko win
SM UU: Cynde vs Christo 0-100 lol.. really? Cynde? This is christo we're talking about
SM RU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs J0RIS 0-100 same as wofs prediction, joris is undefeated and unstoppable
SM NU: The Idiot Ninja vs The Goomy 0-100 NU has all the alolan mons so that's a gg
SM DOU: marilli vs Lunar 0-100 can't cteam broken gothlax = cant beat tyrants doubles
ORAS OU: Rodriblutar vs psychicmewtwo 0-100 lol gg easy I'm building for this one and my teams have never lost before (starting now)
BW OU: SoulWind vs JabbaTheGriffin 0-100 SoulWho? JabbaTheGoat
DPP OU: Updated Kanto vs dice 85-15 yea kanto is the more well-versed old genner sorry dice
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs UD 0-100 ud hasn't dropped a single game this spl and I dont think he's going to
GSC OU: ABR vs Lavos 95-5 lol... this is the ost winner vs a no name rager
RBY OU: Nails vs Tobes 50-50 this tier is a 50-50 and you're wrong for believing otherwise

E: already predicted gsc right lol

27-19 last week beat the bumass ape lol.
obiis formatting is gay and im too lazy to figure out who tf is who + teal sent in some dumbass lineup + tyrants wolfpack is a meme series so theres barely anythin to predict. so imma do a PO THROWBACK with some unbiased predictions for my own team too to replace them. cant possibly b worse than finch so.

Alpha Ruiners (5) vs Stark Sharks (7)

SM OU: Cdumas vs BHARATH_THEBEST | still an overpay but hes been doin solid enuff. btbs good too but i think cdumas is slightly better
SM OU: Kory2600 vs nihilillie | still hav no idea who this is so like.
SM UU: Bushtush vs dodmen | def been underperforming but he cant b awful forever. i think he'll rebound.
SM RU: Chill Shadow vs Arifeen | arifeen slayed the king last week but i suck at this tier anyway so LOLO chillshadow has 49s building support and i think hes slightly better as a player so giving him the edge
SM NU: lax vs Teddeh | teddehs been really impressive this spl, and ill give him the slight advantage over my friend lax, who was rollin b4 bein left in the dust by vod goat elodin
SM DOU: qsns vs Demantoid | i think hes better?
ORAS OU: Hiye vs Tricking | i think hiyes a better player 4 sure
BW OU: ZoroDark vs smurf | way better player
DPP OU: We Three Kings vs ToF | tof seems to hav rebounded nicely from a bad start and i think he'll take this one.
ADV OU: undisputed vs Kevin Garrett | both hav been really good this season but i think undisputed is due for a loss at some point
GSC OU: Tiba vs Pleasure | this is a rly hype game if it actually happens. both hav somehow been bad this spl but hav to trust my former shark teammate to win this 1.
RBY OU: roudolf13 vs GGFan | greeks lol.

SM OU: TDK vs Blackoblivion | i still think tdks a better player despite his below average record but idk BO has some fuckin mojo this spl this mans been impressive af. after goin 3-1 vs abr / john / fv / joey its hard to predict against him. even still, though, tdk got a hard ass read on this mans team in world cup, and good players r bound to win eventually so i think he'll take this one
SM OU: R!cardo vs Sabella | ricardos made some weird plays this tour, even tho he def should hav won vs poek. sabellas had a rough spl but im givin him the skill edge here.
SM UU: Pak vs Sacri' | pak + pearls teambuilding has been a formula of destruction this spl. i dont see him losing here.
SM RU: mael vs Bouff | bouff got a wild win last week with an omfuga team somehow LOLO mael had a solid ru debut vs lighthouses but played pretty badly vs soulgazer. this games probably pretty close but ill trust mael to make 1 less choke than bouff and win
SM NU: Zukushiku vs Pohjis | pohjis has been better than i thought he would be for sure, especially after a snake draft where he choked more than daftmau5 but zuku is p solid too. flcls p solid at getting a winnable matchup usually and i still dont fully trust pohjis's playing ability so givin the edge to zuku here.
SM DOU: Kaori vs EmbCPT | sam has been up and down this season, but has still rebounded this season after a horrendous snake draft. however, this embcpt guy seems to b fire flames and i hav to give him the advantage here based on past performances
ORAS OU: Gondra vs Znain | i think gondras better than his record suggests and znains been a choke machine before. def cant trust this man lol
BW OU: BKC vs LuckOverSkill | after freeing the GOAT from the shackles of ADV, he has responded by wreaking havoc on the bw playerbase. some old washed up dude from 2009 isnt gonna stop him
DPP OU: roscoe vs NightFox | roscoe the king had an off week last week but no way this man loses 2 in a row. nightfox imo is p average and roscoe should def hav the edge here, especially with bkcs teambuilding wisdom
ADV OU: Jirachee vs thelinearcurve | phils not an adv main but hes done relatively solid given expectations in the tier. however, ive been impressed with thelinearcurve this spl, even after he somehow lost to the aga v2 last week. he got p unlucky earlier in the season, though, and hes been rebounding nicely. gonna give him the edge here.
GSC OU: choolio vs Jimmy Turtwig | yeah i still have no idea why jimmy turtwig was retained for gsc ou. choolios fallen down to earth a bit after a crazy hot start but hes still a solid player imo and always brings some rock solid teams.
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Lusch | the best buy i made last year is back bros (well technically he was earthworms buy but i bought earthworm so bop). metal has been up and down and i think lusch is a better player, so givin him the edge here.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Lost vs ABR, gg. Not happy with my play, lots I could have done to make the game easier for me even before the crit. Lost my temper after that and threw away what little chance I had left to win.

Disappointed that Fear wasn't in the lineup, was looking forward to our clash all year. Definitely on my top 3 list of opponents I couldn't wait to play along with choolio and sulcata. Considering that we were both 7-1 going into this week and both our teams had already clinched, I had built something cool that I was itching to try. Then ABR told me that he was slotting into GSC and my plans went to shit. I borrowed this team from sulcata (thanks again, you're the best) because I didn't feel like turning my brain on, and considering how fucking stupid sleep trap is, I probably deserved to lose. Really not how I wanted to close out my season but I was definitely not mentally prepared for this one and I'll learn from that in the future and probably start johning more. The Tyrants are the best team in this tournament and they've already carried me to playoffs, so with any luck I'll still get to play Fear.

Anyways, sorry team, I'm fucking garbage. Been preaching the basics of this shit to you guys all year but can't even listen to my own advice. Whole season long I manage to ignore opp, close lobby, not talk, calc everything that matters, and week 9 I forget my fundamentals. Better now than in playoffs at least. Don't drop 20k on a player who feels like he's going to pass out during every game. See you all next week

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs Indie Scooters (7)
SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Philip7079 i
SM OU: azogue vs Philip7080 don't
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Philip7081 know
SM RU: lighthouses vs Philip7082 what
SM NU: Hootie vs Philip7083 you
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Philip7084 guys
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Philip7085 are
BW OU: McMeghan vs Ojama well... at least he didn't change his name. My man
DPP OU: Tamahome vs Philip7O86 trying
ADV OU: k3nan vs Philip7087 to
GSC OU: Century Express vs Philip7088 accomplish
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Philip7089 here

Alpha Ruiners (5) vs Stark Sharks (7)

SM OU: Cdumas vs BHARATH_THEBEST
SM OU: Kory2600 vs nihilillie Kory has no chance of defeating The man, The myth, The legend himself.
SM UU: Bushtush vs dodmen
SM RU: Chill Shadow vs Arifeen
SM NU: lax vs Teddeh
SM DOU: qsns vs Demantoid
ORAS OU: Hiye vs Tricking
BW OU: ZoroDark vs Smurf.
DPP OU: We Three Kings vs ToF
ADV OU: undisputed vs Kevin Garrett
GSC OU: Tiba vs Pleasure
RBY OU: roudolf13 vs GGFan

Wi-fi Wolfpack (8) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (4)

SM OU: soulgazer vs Will of Fire
SM OU: Trosko vs Analytic
SM UU: Cynde vs Christo
SM RU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs J0RIS Change your name already.
SM NU: The Idiot Ninja vs The Goomy
SM DOU: marilli vs Lunar
ORAS OU: Rodriblutar vs psychicmewtwo
BW OU: SoulWind vs JabbaTheGriffin
DPP OU: Updated Kanto vs dice
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs UD
GSC OU: ABR vs lavos he already won so...
RBY OU: Nails vs Tobes

SM OU: TDK vs Blackoblivion
SM OU: R!cardo vs Sabella
SM UU: Pak vs Sacri'
SM RU: mael vs Bouff
SM NU: Zukushiku vs Pohjis
SM DOU: Kaori vs EmbCPT
ORAS OU: Gondra vs Znain
BW OU: BKC vs LuckOverSkill
DPP OU: roscoe vs NightFox
ADV OU: Jirachee vs thelinearcurve
GSC OU: choolio vs Jimmy Turtwig
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Lusch

Ever Grande BIGS (6) vs Cryonicles (6)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs njnp
SM OU: bro fist vs danilo
SM UU: Manipulative vs Tman
SM RU: Windsong vs Nat
SM NU: Kushalos vs London Beats :smogthink:
SM DOU: Jhon vs Biosci Bio-ski
ORAS OU: xray vs CrashinBoomBang
BW OU: Posho vs Peasounay
DPP OU: d0nut vs Snou
ADV OU: Triangles vs Poek
GSC OU: Mr.E vs sulcata
RBY OU: marcoasd vs Arii Stella

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I'm sure a lot of you are wondering about the results of the Finchinator Challenge from Week 8. With a decent amount of participation, this is surely going to really put Finch's results in perspective and see if he truly deserves the shame he gets for losing to our friendly ape so consistently.

And the results are overwhelming! Yes, he does. Everyone who predicted >30 games correctly predicted over 50% of them in Week 8. We all beat the Ape! Congratulations, Smogon.
On the other hand, we all lost to Lord Ninjax. So maybe we shouldn't be so proud of ourselves. Congrats, buddy.

Lord Ninjax - 65.52% (38-20)
FinnQwert - 64.41% (38-21)
miltankmilk - 63.83% (30-17)
Updated Kanto - 63.64% (28-16)
z0mOG - 60.98% (25-16)
obii - 60.98% (25-16)
Tsunami - 59.57% (28-19)
Quick Maths Chimp - 58.33% (35-25)
The Idiot Ninja - 54.17% (26-22)
Pearl - 53.19% (25-22)
Tony - 51.06% (24-23)
cb aaron judge - 50.85% (30-29)
The Ape - 50% (30-30)

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of you are wondering about the results of the Finchinator Challenge from Week 8. With a decent amount of participation, this is surely going to really put Finch's results in perspective and see if he truly deserves the shame he gets for losing to our friendly ape so consistently.

And the results are overwhelming! Yes, he does. Everyone who predicted >30 games correctly predicted over 50% of them in Week 8. We all beat the Ape! Congratulations, Smogon.
On the other hand, we all lost to Lord Ninjax. So maybe we shouldn't be so proud of ourselves. Congrats, buddy.
I went 2-2 in every tier I predicted, for a 50% success rate, maybe I'm the ape after all

:pikuh::pikuh::pikuh::pikuh::pikuh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)