If you wish to play in the Smogon Premier League, you must sign up in this thread. This goes for all players, whether you will be retained or not. The Smogon Premier League is an 11 week event at minimum, and has the potential to stretch on a bit further depending on tiebreak situations. Only sign up if you can be active for the majority of this time, as a high level of activity is expected. This includes several things, such as communicating with your team and getting your games done, and maintaining a competitive attitude even after your team has already been eliminated. It is in your own best interest to show off your best side. For general guidelines on what to do and what not to do, refer to Luigi's guidelines here.
A reminder of rulings that hold true for this year, and some new ones:
- Managers are allowed one (1) assistant Manager.
- Teams are only allowed three (3) retained players from last year's SPL.
- Retention rights may not be traded.
- Retained players may not be traded until mid-season. (NEW)
- Midseason signups are restricted to people that signed up for the original auction.
- The minimum number of players in a team is 14.
- The maximum number of players in a team is 24.
- There will be a severe penalty for any team that picks up a known alt of a banned player, or any player masquerading as another person to lower their cost in the auction. This has not been a big issue in the past, but it is important to establish that both parties will be penalized immediately and harshly if they are found doing so.
If you wish to sign up, please use the following format:
It is absolutely pivotal that you sign up using the above format, as we will use an external tool to parse signups and push into the spreadsheets. If you have anything else to say or wish to shitpost, do so in the commencement thread!Player Name: ABR
Tiers Played: SS OU / SM OU / GSC OU
Timezone : GMT-4
The tiers this year are SS OU, SS DOU, SS LC, SM OU, ORAS OU, BW OU, DPP OU, ADV OU, GSC OU and RBY OU.
If you are interested in playing, be aware that any team may buy you, and you are expected to play for any one of them. Only list tiers in your signup that you are willing to play. While these aren't binding, it will affect how the managers will see you, and you are expected to play them if necessary. If you would not consider seriously playing a tier in a tournament, do not list it. Do not make dumb joke posts about playing tiers you don't care for.
You are generally expected to participate in your team's Discord. While we understand that activity levels may vary, this is the core portion of SPL, and what makes it fun. Your team's Discord server is where your team will hang out, discuss strategies and just have fun without worrying about the game. This is where teams come together (or fall apart), and likely the most integral part to the entire tournament.
Signups will last until the day before auction. Exact date is to be decided, but they'll be open for at least three weeks
As stated above, only three retainers are allowed this year. You may not retain more than three, though you may retain less or no players at all if you wish.
The cost to retain a player on their first year as a retention will be the HIGHER of the following two scenarios (unchanged from last year):
- the amount that the player went for in the last auction + 3k (ex. if Oglemi was bought for 13k, it would cost 16k to retain him)
- 10k, if the previous price + 3k would end up being lower than 10k (ex. if Oglemi was bought for 6k, his retaining cost would be 10k, not 9k)
The cost to retain a player that was already retained in the last SPL will be dependent on how many times they have been retained. The fee being raised by +3k with each subsequent retention (ex. if Oglemi was retained for 16k last SPL, it would cost 22k to retain him in this one, and 31k to retain him in the next one.
For everything else, refer to the Commencement Thread. Have a great season, everyone!