Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

is there a way to remove the automatic watched tag. each time i type in a forum it automatically puts me to watch the server which tends to be annoying when i am on smogon and type in threads but i would prefer to be notified if i was quoted. I know i can remove the "watched" tag but its still inconvenient

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
is there a way to remove the automatic watched tag. each time i type in a forum it automatically puts me to watch the server which tends to be annoying when i am on smogon and type in threads but i would prefer to be notified if i was quoted. I know i can remove the "watched" tag but its still inconvenient
click on your name in the top right corner, click on preferences, and then it's here:

that'll make it so that if you post on a thread, it doesn't automatically get added to your watch list. you can also set it so that threads you create aren't automatically watched.

So I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion on something. I've been using smogon as my main resource when building pokemon for awhile now, and im just starting to get into sword and shield. Im doing my best to make some high quality "perfect" pokemon to use. I usually only wind up doing battle tower stuff, im not usually one for fighting other trainers, let alone following smogon rules, but I mean it would be nice to have that as an option. So since im trying to make these pokemon perfect and dont want to have to go through the gruelling process of breeding another one if I wind up wanting to change something I fucked up on, I was going to use smogon for ideas on what to do with them. The only thing is there's still alot of pokemon that don't have finished builds for sword and shield. So i've been considering just using builds from sun and moon. My question is do you think thats a good idea or would it be wiser to wait until more builds come out? I know gen viii added some new moves that wouldnt be in the sun and moon builds so I feel like i'd be potentially missing out on better advice and builds. On the other hand, I've run out of things to do in sword and shield that aren't related to breeding perfect pokemon, so if I wind up choosing to wait i'll probably have to find another game to play for awhile, and by then my interest in pokemon might have ran out. So yeah, what's the better thing to do here, wait for more builds to come out, or use sun and moon builds? Oh and if anyone knows any other sites that have good advice for how to build your pokemon i'd obviously love to know since this is the only website I know that does that

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
So I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion on something. I've been using smogon as my main resource when building pokemon for awhile now, and im just starting to get into sword and shield. Im doing my best to make some high quality "perfect" pokemon to use. I usually only wind up doing battle tower stuff, im not usually one for fighting other trainers, let alone following smogon rules, but I mean it would be nice to have that as an option. So since im trying to make these pokemon perfect and dont want to have to go through the gruelling process of breeding another one if I wind up wanting to change something I fucked up on, I was going to use smogon for ideas on what to do with them. The only thing is there's still alot of pokemon that don't have finished builds for sword and shield. So i've been considering just using builds from sun and moon. My question is do you think thats a good idea or would it be wiser to wait until more builds come out? I know gen viii added some new moves that wouldnt be in the sun and moon builds so I feel like i'd be potentially missing out on better advice and builds. On the other hand, I've run out of things to do in sword and shield that aren't related to breeding perfect pokemon, so if I wind up choosing to wait i'll probably have to find another game to play for awhile, and by then my interest in pokemon might have ran out. So yeah, what's the better thing to do here, wait for more builds to come out, or use sun and moon builds? Oh and if anyone knows any other sites that have good advice for how to build your pokemon i'd obviously love to know since this is the only website I know that does that
Hi, welcome to Smogon!

The Orange Islands subforum, particularly the Sword & Shield section of it, has lots of threads discussing in-game team building and battle facilities. Get stuck in ^^

Unfortunately in-game builds for battle facilities don't get analyses written for them in the Strategy Dex, so these threads are your best bet.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Do Smogon forum posts get deleted often? I was following the following thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-1-6-random-battles-complete-list-of-movepools-for-all-pokémon.3643472/#post-8566211 and then it disappeared without any explanation. I was wondering if I could figure out why.
Looks like they deleted it themselves. Deletion info / reason / etc is only available to mods of that forum, though, so no you wouldn't be able to figure it out yourself.
With regards to how often they're deleted, it depends on the forum, the rules in that forum, and honestly just if the user wants to or not.

Do Smogon forum posts get deleted often? I was following the following thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-1-6-random-battles-complete-list-of-movepools-for-all-pokémon.3643472/#post-8566211 and then it disappeared without any explanation. I was wondering if I could figure out why.
I believe it was deleted because it serves no real purpose anymore—the existence of the /randbats command on showdown means having a list on the forum is rather pointless

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
There really isn't any criteria for getting a custom title (the text you're all talking about). Having a badge and getting the option to edit it yourself is the most common, but getting an smod (like me) to edit it for memes or something you actually did would be equally valid. That said, most people who have a custom title and no badge probably had a badge at some point and then lost it, keeping the title in place forever. Lastly, you get special titles for some forms of punishment: I COULD BE BANNED if you are close to being forum banned, Tournament Banned if you are banned from tournaments, and Wi-Fi Blacklisted if you got blacklisted from the Wi-Fi section on Smogon.

Posted this query on the simple questions thread but got no response; what does it mean if my PSD account has been deactivated and is there a way to retrieve it? Was never punished from what I can recall but I didn't play for 2-3 years and now when I try to access it it just says 'account disabled'. Worth submitting a punishment appeal or something despite me not knowing why it was deactivated?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out / point me towards someone who can.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Posted this query on the simple questions thread but got no response; what does it mean if my PSD account has been deactivated and is there a way to retrieve it? Was never punished from what I can recall but I didn't play for 2-3 years and now when I try to access it it just says 'account disabled'. Worth submitting a punishment appeal or something despite me not knowing why it was deactivated?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out / point me towards someone who can.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/password-reset-form/

Inactive accounts were disabled a few years back when the site got hacked as a security measure, so just fill that in and an admin should help you out

Let's say someone was both near being forum banned and tournament banned. Which title shows up? What about being wifi blacklisted and tourbanned?

In the OP of this thread, I see that people are able to use SWSH-era large menu icons for mons instead of the dinkier ones (:pikachu: etc) that are called by :monname:. Are these available with a shortcut or is the user just manually pasting the better icons into the post?
right click -> copy image address to find out where pics come from. if you want animated sprites, try pokencyclopedia

It's a quality-of-life feature for storing sets you'd use while teambuilding. For example, you could make a box for all Pokemon sets that check Kyurem-Black. Pokemon Online, the battle simulator used most commonly before PS, had a similar feature too.
thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)